PDA

View Full Version : Modern Fantasy Balance - nWoD or other?

sdream
2010-06-16, 11:06 AM
I realized the other day how much modern fantasy I (and my family) enjoy:

Dresden
Buffy
Anita Blake
True Blood
Twilight
Sabrina
Ann Rice

I wanted to run a game for some of my family that aren't into DnD. What is a good system?

My goals are:
- point based char gen (not levels)
- fast and fairly easy play
- start as mortals and pick up powers later
- wide choice of fun, balanced powers

I was leaning to nWoD because I enjoyed it in the past, and have a couple books.

Starting everyone as a terrified mortal faced with powers that scare them helpless:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ascb-5R4pH_zdFVIYjdheUxqb2s4NVE0SU12UnBuQlE&hl=en

then letting them "apply their existing skills" as they get over their terror (spend XP).

I did want them to be able to play as any supernatural or mortal (holy hunter type thing) without a huge power gap, though and I don't think the wager willpower thing is quite sufficient to do that compared to points in supernatural power.

I knew that I would weaken supes during the day and provide a "threshhold" effect "must be invited into residences" - but is that enough to level the field?

So:

1 - Are there mortal/holy hunter perks that would balance nicely against supernatural powers (for the same point by point xp costs? Given that supes would not get free stat boosts but have to pay like everybody else, and be weakened during day, locked out of homes)

2 - Is there a better system for this sort of thing, simple, point based, balanced, and with all sorts of fun supernaturals to select?

I just wanted advice from those who have done that sort of thing, and are more familiar with the systems (I've only skimmed nWoD).

Whammydill
2010-06-16, 11:17 AM
NWoD sounds like your best bet.

In reference to

#1 is covered by the Hunter line of supplements. The different groups have their own way of taking on supers, like Task Force: Valkyrie, a MIB style group of hunters who favor high-tech solutions to things that go bump in the night. Where things are great they also go into great detail about team based skills that groups use on supernaturals to take them down and you can make your own, its real fun to do that.

#2 I'd answer by saying that compared to OWoD they made more of an effort to make the different systems (Werewolf, Mage, Vampire...etc) more intercompatible. It's not perfect though. A well thought out and designed mage is going to steamroll almost anything unless you specifically know how to fight them, which some hunter groups do. I don't think that answers your question though. I can't think of a better system for what you want though.

Gnaeus
2010-06-16, 01:01 PM
Well, the Dresden Files RPG will be out by the end of the month. Balancing play between characters of different power levels is supposed to be something of a strong point of the system, and you mentioned that your family likes the Jim Butcher (mine does too!).

sdream
2010-06-17, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to stick with nWoD, but create chars a little more normally.

250xp to start, add 10xp a session, and can cash in one old point each session (but stats and skills must always stay above 100 each).

Example:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ascb-5R4pH_zdHVvdzIwdUViM0pUcmdBMmJjRkYwamc&hl=en

TheThan
2010-06-17, 06:49 PM
Just reflavor Big Eyes Small Mouth (3rd edition). Its perfect for just about anything if you put your mind to it.