PDA

View Full Version : A 3.5 Character Idea- Core fighter/rogue

Jackolas
2010-06-16, 11:13 AM
Hi guys,
Im curently on a waiting list for an awesome campaign that a friend of mine runs. I was in it until my Knight got killed :smallfrown:

I really enjoy making different characters and try to create interesting and different styles of combat. It will be a while until I get to play in it anyway so im just trying to come up with a few different ideas. I will start at aprox level 4.

I was thinking of a dwarf with 2 Rogue/ 2 Fighter. The plan was to max out tumble and always try go for the flanks. Then using two weapon fighting deal out loads of damage. The feats would be two weapon fighting,quickdraw and weapon focus (dwarven waraxe) He will wield a waraxe in his main hand and a throwing axe to minimise the TWF penalty to -2 -2.

I only have the core books available. Can anyone please offer me advice on this character concept? what feats should I go for going forward? Have i got the right idea so far?

Thanks

Whammydill
2010-06-16, 11:20 AM
By core only do you mean PHB, MM, and DMG? Or are you allowed to use the SRD stuff.

I would ditch quick draw. You can draw a weapon as part of a move action since you have at least +1 BAB.

It's really too bad you can't take the 1st level dwarf fighter substitution: d12 hp, knowledge: Dungoneering as a class skill, and your fighter bonus feat becomes instead "Weapon focus: Axes" pretty much.

Draz74
2010-06-16, 11:28 AM
This sounds a lot like my character a couple years ago. I suggest a Light Spiked Shield in the off-hand rather than a throwing axe. With two Fighter levels and Core-Only, you should totally be able to spend a feat on Improved Shield Bash.

Oh yeah, and don't bother with Weapon Focus. There are better things to spend your feats on.

Daremonai
2010-06-16, 11:37 AM
This is a game I'm in, so: the game is core books - none of the extra SRD stuff like psionics allowed. Generally it's a low-optimisation game - current players are:

A generalist wizard with an equal focus on blasting and utility (not much battlefield control)
A monk
A spiked-chain fighter (not a tripper)
a barbarian/ranger AoO monkey
A nonoptimised cleric

There isn't a huge character turnover, but new players only get in when someone else dies (there's not a lot of room to play in our FLGS), so I suspect it'll be the monk that gets replaced - he's already had a few near-death experiences due to unlucky dice and being a monk.

Flickerdart
2010-06-16, 11:47 AM
I would suggest Rogue 3/Fighter 1, since +1d6 damage at this level is better than a bonus feat. Take your second Fighter level at 5th, or save it until you can snipe up Improved TWF. I would also suggest going Goblin, as they have a 30ft move speed - since you're Tumbling and will most likely want that Evasion, you probably have no need for heavy armour, which offsets one of the Dwarf's advantages. If speed isn't your game, go with a Halfling, who get spectacular bonuses to some nifty things. Consider aiming your career towards Horizon Walker - the Shifting terrain mastery will help you get into position and escape unfortunate situations. If you go this way, consider Ranger 2/Rogue 2 instead.

Jackolas
2010-06-16, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. As Daremonai said its core only and that includes PHB only races.

So what would be my best option as a race from the phb? also I think im gonna make a 5th level char considering the wait. So would it be best to go for 2 Fighter/ 3 Rogue? I like the idea of the waraxe and spiked shield too

Eldariel
2010-06-16, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. As Daremonai said its core only and that includes PHB only races.

So what would be my best option as a race from the phb? also I think im gonna make a 5th level char considering the wait. So would it be best to go for 2 Fighter/ 3 Rogue? I like the idea of the waraxe and spiked shield too

Well, Rogues want:
- Dex
- Movement
- Skillpoints

Human is always fair choice (but the Fighter-levels make the feat a bit redundant), as is Halfling (but only 20' movement sucks). Dwarf and Gnome have some things going on for them and I wouldn't look at the rest if you aren't allowed Monster Manual-races (Goblin & Gray Elf are both respectable Rogues). Unless your stats are completely insane, I'd go the Weapon Finesse-route and rely mostly on your Sneak Attack for damage.

Caliphbubba
2010-06-16, 12:35 PM
if you're set on dwarf, using a Dwarven Urgrosh might be fun.
Don't know how useful it is, but seems like it'd be OK in core in the instances you needed to charge up and are limited to a single attack instead of a full attack you could weild it as two-handed weapon and Power Attack with it, then switch it up the next round to use it as a double weapon and get your off-hand attack.

Jackolas
2010-06-16, 12:53 PM
I do like the idea of having a dwarf with a dwarven waraxe and something light in the offhand. MY abilities are as follows. STR-17 dex-18 con-15 int-16 wis-9 cha-6

What feats would be the best option to take? Also what should I spend all my gold on?

Caliphbubba
2010-06-16, 01:03 PM
Urgosh counts as a one-handed martial, and a light weapon for purposes of two-weapon fighting if you're a dwarf.

Boots of Striding and Springing might be worthwhile? more movement movement to get into position never hurt.

*shrug*

feats maybe something like
Two-weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Imporved Initative, Skill Focus:UMD if you want to offset that charisma penatly and still use scrolls and junk.

someone is probably better at this than me lol

Draz74
2010-06-16, 01:15 PM
My dwarf was very fascinated by traps, so beyond the obvious (TWF and Improved Shield Bash), he spent several of his feats on that. (Homebrew feats, plus Skill Focus (Craft (trapmaking)).)

If your dwarf isn't doing that ... hmm. Hard to find other really worthwhile Core feats. Combat Reflexes is always good on a high-Dex melee character, though; and Improved Initiative is always an option. If you sometimes use just your one weapon, then Power Attack/Cleave might be worthwhile.

Endurance is required if, like the one suggestion said, you intend to go for Horizon Walker eventually. But you probably don't. (It's a good PrC, it's just for Rangers, not Rogues.)

Eldariel
2010-06-16, 01:25 PM
Cleave isn't really all that bad anyways; you can afford the feat. If you have the Int, Combat Expertise > Improved Trip is fine. And it can't hurt to pick up Rapid Shot for when you can't reach the opposition. Do note that Dwarven Waraxe isn't finessable so if you want to use Dex-base, you'll need another weapon (Rapier is a decent one).

Telonius
2010-06-16, 01:41 PM
Are you totally set on Fighter? A two-level dip in Ranger might be better for your concept. Better skills, a favored enemy, Track, Wild Empathy, TWF (which you were going to take with your fighter feat anyway). The only thing you lose are an average of 1 hit point (oh noes), 1 fighter feat, and medium/heavy armor proficiency - which you probably weren't going to use anyway, if you're planning on doing a lot of Tumbling in core. So basically just one fighter feat versus better saves, better skills, Track, Wild Empathy, and the favored enemy.

Draz74
2010-06-16, 02:11 PM
Are you totally set on Fighter? A two-level dip in Ranger might be better for your concept. Better skills, a favored enemy, Track, Wild Empathy, TWF (which you were going to take with your fighter feat anyway). The only thing you lose are an average of 1 hit point (oh noes), 1 fighter feat, and medium/heavy armor proficiency - which you probably weren't going to use anyway, if you're planning on doing a lot of Tumbling in core. So basically just one fighter feat versus better saves, better skills, Track, Wild Empathy, and the favored enemy.

If he's set on Dwarf, the Favored Class conflict may also present a major barrier. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-06-16, 02:27 PM
If he's set on Dwarf, the Favored Class conflict may also present a major barrier. :smalltongue:

Nah, if that's in play, just have the Cleric use Restoration. That should fix the Touch of Idiocy the DM was clearly hit with.

Jackolas
2010-06-16, 03:35 PM
think im gonna stick with fighter.

DropKickBananas
2010-12-26, 10:48 AM
BUMP
I'm kinda in the same boat right now, I've been invited to play a Dwarven campaign and we're starting at level 6. I'm fairly new to the game so I don't know what to do. We have a Dwarf Wizard, Dwarf Barbarian, and Cleric. This leads me to be a Fighter/Rogue but I still don't know where to start on the build. Somebody said it would be good if I had a mount but I'm not sure I want one.

true_shinken
2010-12-26, 12:13 PM
Nah, if that's in play, just have the Cleric use Restoration. That should fix the Touch of Idiocy the DM was clearly hit with.
Wow, that was totally not offensive. :smallwink:

You might want to clarify that. It's core only and phb only races, right? Goblin is from core, after all.
...but how did you play a Knight, then? :smallconfused:

Though I see where you are going with Fighter/Rogue, I actually think Ranger/Rogue works better, since you get more skill points and if you go Ranger 3 you gain Endurance and already have Knowledge (geography) in class so you're set for Horizon Walker (one of the best core PrCs).

If you are set on your dwarven fighter/rogue concept (and I aplaud that, even if it's not optimized) I'd use the shield-as-off-hand-weapon option. If you have shield spikes, it's even better - you have all damage types covered.

Eldariel
2010-12-26, 12:29 PM
BUMP.

Bumping a 6-month old thread may not be the best idea ever given the local rules on Thread Necromancy. I do suggest you create a new thread on the subject and e.g. link this one or something to that effect.

Vaynor
2010-12-26, 01:39 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.