PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 'Design'] Monstrous Characters, RHD, and LA in E# Systems...

Zovc
2010-06-16, 02:00 PM
Personally, I like having options in the form of monstrous races and/or templates. The way that RHD and Level Adjustsments were handled in 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons, however, makes these almost useless to casters, especially if they cost more than one level.

There are a few quick and dirty solutions that can be deployed on a case-by-case basis, such as granting casting progression to classes, or perhaps giving a player a bonus feat in place of a lost class level. Perhaps this race's RHD can advance sneak attack progression? I'm not saying these are the best ways to combat the issue, but things like this can be done to catch up monstrous characters.

One downfall (well, I suppose that depends on how you look at it) of E6 (or E"X") is that there is a finite amount of levels that you can take. Even if (especially if?) you redesign classes to fit into this sort of system, monstrous characters get even more hosed. As an example, it's impossible for a Tiefling to get their "capstone ability", even if they don't multiclass.

Can you think of a solution for this issue?

Racial Hit Dice progression (broken up into its own 'class') might be the best solution, requiring you to take levels in it at certain levels (say, every odd level for a +3 LA race) could be an interesting solution, but that's really just twisting monster classes into something closer to racial substitution levels. Of course, if you do it like this, you can allow (certain ones of) your monstrous classes to progress spellcasting, which does fix one of their issues.

Perhaps, to solve the "no capstones for you" issue, you could make an 8th level for every 'monstrous' race?

Draz74
2010-06-16, 02:12 PM
Nitpick: Standard E6 rules, the Tiefling has no trouble getting its capstone ability. It just gets a lower point-buy than a Human.

Zovc
2010-06-16, 02:29 PM
Nitpick: Standard E6 rules, the Tiefling has no trouble getting its capstone ability. It just gets a lower point-buy than a Human.

Ah, I didn't realize that. That is a fairly elegant solution! I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with it, though--I would probably need to adjust some LA races. That, or I could merge ideas with them and give the (probably) weaker races racial substitution levels for certain classes (ones they either should excel in, or perhaps ones they would be particularly weak choices for).

SurlySeraph
2010-06-16, 06:52 PM
One option that might work for characters with RHD is to let them swap out one of their RHD for a class level each time they would normally get a feat after reaching 6th level.

Draz74
2010-06-16, 08:46 PM
Ah, I didn't realize that. That is a fairly elegant solution! I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with it, though--I would probably need to adjust some LA races. That, or I could merge ideas with them and give the (probably) weaker races racial substitution levels for certain classes (ones they either should excel in, or perhaps ones they would be particularly weak choices for).

It's better than just using LA as-is, that's for sure, but by no means is it perfect. Pixies, for example, are totally overpowered in E6, since their racial stat boosts pretty much make up for the lower point-buy even before you start considering their abilities (flight, invisibility).

So, modify away!

Mongoose87
2010-06-16, 08:55 PM
Perhaps allow RHD to be traded for Class Levels at the cost of an Epic feat, and LA for two/three feats?

Fax Celestis
2010-06-16, 08:58 PM
The key is to create a fundamental, well, LA +0 "base race", and then provide an optional "paragon" class that makes the race into what appears in the Monster Manual over a period of class levels. This is the philosophy I'm using with d20r and it's served me fine thus far.

demidracolich
2010-06-16, 09:25 PM
Have you taken a look at Olsecamo's monster classes?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142724&highlight=improved+monster+classes