PDA

View Full Version : Master of shadow

DragonsAion
2010-06-16, 03:58 PM
Any played this PRC? I think it looks kinda neat and makes the shadowcaster more playable. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that "master bidding" doesn't last all that long.

gbprime
2010-06-16, 04:09 PM
It's workable at higher levels when enabling your shadow familiar doesn't cost a standard action every round. But that's a whole lot of levels invested for a relatively minor pet ability. I'd say jump in for all 10 levels if you're going to, and only if you really want to play a pet class.

Besides, most people don't bother with any shadow PrC other than Noctomancer. Giving up 1 level of shadow casting in order to gain 11 levels of wizard? No brainer there. It gives the versatility and battery life that the Shadowcaster is missing.

DragonsAion
2010-06-16, 04:15 PM
A friend and I thought it would work better if you changed the master's bidding so that it lasted 1/2 class level instead of just one round.

Zaq
2010-06-16, 08:13 PM
I've never played it, but I've considered it. Having a pet around gives you something to do on the turns when you don't want to waste a Mystery (or don't have any relevant ones left). If I were playing a mid-level Shadowcaster, I would definitely have to think long and hard about it.

The only real downside (aside from the lost caster level) is that you can't share spells Mysteries with your pet shadow like you can with a familiar, so no doubling up on Umbral Touch or Umbral Fist. Still, the ability to have something to do really seems worth it to me.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-16, 08:45 PM
As far as pet classes go, Master of Shadows isn't bad. There's better, but this does fine.

In a gestalt setting, something like Shadowcaster/Master of Shadows//Rogue/Shadowdancer (yeah, yeah, I know about the double PrC rule; most people waive it for combos that aren't going to be lolbroken) is pretty cool, since it gets a shadow from MoS and a shadow (or several shadows, depending on your reading) from shadowdancer.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-06-16, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDv5xhqq7Iw

DragonsAion
2010-06-16, 11:26 PM
not sure what the link has to do with the master of shadow but it was good music.

Shadowcaster/Master of Shadows/Rogue/Shadowdancer? that sounds like fun to play. but if I was going to do that I might use the ShadowBlade instead.