PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] negative levels question

Flail_master
2010-06-16, 04:42 PM
just a quickie, was readin up on negative level rules, and its all good and well how it works, but it doesnt specify if it can kill someone, and if it can, how exactly?

also, from other DM's experiences, howre reactions and opinions of negative level bestowing monsters from PC's? because they really seem like they could annoy the players

thanks again :smallbiggrin:

Tavar
2010-06-16, 04:46 PM
Negative levels kill a target if their negative levels are equal to or greater than their HD. Also, you can die if they reduce your HP below -10, but you'd have to have a really low HP total for that to work.

As for how they work in games...well negative levels are quite possibly the single most powerful effect you can impose on an enemy.

Rannil
2010-06-16, 04:47 PM
just a quickie, was readin up on negative level rules, and its all good and well how it works, but it doesnt specify if it can kill someone, and if it can, how exactly?

also, from other DM's experiences, howre reactions and opinions of negative level bestowing monsters from PC's? because they really seem like they could annoy the players

" A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight. "
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

Edit: and ninjad =p

Viskocity
2010-06-16, 04:48 PM
Yes they can. There is a clause which states that if a character's negative levels ever equal their HD, then they die instantly. Essentially, if a fourth level character ever gets more than four negative levels at the same time, they die.

Edit - Man, double ninja'd?!

Koury
2010-06-16, 04:50 PM
The character gains one or more negative levels, which might permanently drain the character’s levels. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies. Each negative level gives a creature the following penalties: -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks; loss of 5 hit points; and -1 to effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities). In addition, a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from the highest spell level castable.

That what you were looking for?

Link: SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained)

Flail_master
2010-06-16, 04:50 PM
Negative levels kill a target if their negative levels are equal to or greater than their HD. Also, you can die if they reduce your HP below -10, but you'd have to have a really low HP total for that to work.

As for how they work in games...well negative levels are quite possibly the single most powerful effect you can impose on an enemy.

thank you very much all of you, thanks for clearing that up, but my second may have been misunderstood, i understand its very powerful, my question is how (from your experience) players have reacted to the negative levels or what they think of them? overpowered? an unnecessary hindrance? etc

Koury
2010-06-16, 04:52 PM
my question is how (from your experience) players have reacted to the negative levels or what they think of them? overpowered? an unnecessary hindrance? etc

A good reason to stay away from undead and/or keep a Restoration on hand.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-16, 04:54 PM
Permanent negative levels without a local way of getting rid of them can be a real pain. Enervation is temporary, but it's also usually more dangerous.

Flickerdart
2010-06-16, 05:25 PM
Negative levels are often abused to turn RHD into real class levels, or to insta-kill people with Twin Maximized Split Ray Enervations. Getting your hands on the Gravewight template on a Hill Giant with Astral Vambraces nets you 4 attacks that each drain a level if they hit, and Savage Vampire applies to anything with lots of claws likewise drains an unholy amount of levels. Since Vampire is much easier on CR than it is on LA, you should avoid doing this lest the DM launch a few at you - with the advantage of sticking it on even worse monsters.

hamishspence
2010-06-16, 05:33 PM
Which book has the Gravewight template? I know Savage Species has the wight template, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Flickerdart
2010-06-16, 05:36 PM
Standing Stone. It's an adventure module, to it's pretty obscure in that regard. I don't think it's actually got an LA listed, so it might be difficult to grab, but then neither does the regular Wight and SS makes it playable.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-16, 06:25 PM

Negative levels also deal 5 damage/one. So they can kill in 2 ways.

Tavar
2010-06-16, 07:11 PM
Depends. One Negative level? You'll be fine. Enveneration? It's basically a signal to leave immediately, unless you're above, well, at least 8th level.