PDA

View Full Version : Build Challenge. The X-men

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 12:08 AM
Alright guys, after playing a little Marvel Ultimate Alliance I have decided to offer a challenge thread to everyone. Anyone and everyone can offer a build or an idea for a build. The plan here is to post builds or requests for others to make a build for your favourite X-man. Anything goes as far as sources, and we will do things at level 20 just to give the maximum opportunity to make the characters as close to the source material as possible. That being said, lets cut to the chase. I will start things off with an offer to build my favourite of all time Gambit. To define his powers I will copy and paste directly from Wikipedia.

"Gambit is a mutant whose primary ability is the manipulation of energy. He uses the bio-kinetic energy his body produces to convert the potential energy of non-living matter into kinetic energy. The conversion process, referred to as charging, often results in a violent and powerful explosion. The explosion is proportional to the size of the object. In his first appearance and first demonstration of his powers he charges an object via an aura emitted from his eyes, rather than through physical contact. Because energy charges his body, Gambit has greater strength, stamina and agility than any non-powered human, able to leap from rooftop to rooftop, run across ropes and powerlines and do a quintuple somersault. He also possesses a hypnotic charm that allows him to exert a subtle influence over sentient beings, leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions. This charm is so powerful that if given a chance, Gambit could charm the Shadow King.[1] However, the charm does not work on those who know about it. During combat, Gambit customarily wears a suit of highly articulated light body armor and uses a telescopic metal staff. He is extensively trained in martial arts, particularly French kick-boxing or savate and the staff style art Bojutsu. He is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, using street-fighting techniques and acrobatics. Gambit is a skilled card-thrower, and throws charged playing cards with great accuracy at opponents. He also excels in all aspects of thievery, as he was adopted by the patriarch of a Thieves' Guild.

Alright so there it is. For an initial idea the only thing off the top of my head that would fit his kinetic charging of objects would be explosive runes. However that would not fit his varying degree of damage based on the size of the object. But anywho I won't spoil the first challenge until I get some feedback from everyone. So alright thinkers lets see what you got.

gallagher
2010-06-17, 12:33 AM
gambit is a bard with 9th level sorc casting. he has the enchantment focus because he is more suave than everyone, high CHA, and has blastings because of his Sorc casting, but also uses his quartersstaff to good use.

clarinetman
2010-06-17, 12:40 AM
Two levels of sword sage and Ascetic Mage feat for CHA to AC plus some melee umpf.

Starscream
2010-06-17, 12:54 AM
I think Fire Seeds is closer to what he does than explosive runes. That way he can either just throw stuff and have it explode, or make it blow up on command, rather than requiring others to look at it.

Dracons
2010-06-17, 12:59 AM
Strange.Rich himself already did this.

Cyclops had Scorching Ray. (eyes)
Storm had Control Weather.
Jean had Telekinesis.

It's been a while, and I leant my start of darkness to a friend so I don't know what else he did.

Siegel
2010-06-17, 01:00 AM
Psion with Blasting Abilities maybe ?

Draz74
2010-06-17, 01:09 AM
Psion with Blasting Abilities maybe ?

I was thinking Wilder. Charisma-based, better BAB, and he really doesn't need a huge number of powers to simulate the things he can do.

Serpentine
2010-06-17, 01:10 AM
I would've started with Rogue/Psion, but the others sound pretty good (and I don't know anything about Psionics, it just seems like they should be able to do something like that).

Wolverine obviously has fast healing and regeneration through the roof. I'd probably make him half-golem, or at least golem-grafted (whatever that's called), too.

Who's the girl noone likes with the sparkles? I presume she'd be a Bard or Sorcerer, focussing on Prestidigitation and Magic Missile.

Slightly different angle for you: The X-Men all have one or two intrinsic traits or abilities that they more or less have from birth, right? Not generally enough to constitute a whole class? What if these are more like inherited templates or unique "racial" abilities, but they were in the/a D&D universe and could take classes and acquired templates? What direction do you think they'd go in?
So, for example, Wolverine would start out as Human Warrior 1 with Fast Healing 10/round and Regeneration. What would he do? Probably one of the easiest of the lot: Barbarian, though I hear you can do a lot with Tomb of Battle.
I know a lot of the time it'll be pretty much the same thing (I reckon Gambit'd go for Rogue/Sorcerer), but, iunno, could be a different angle...

Escheton
2010-06-17, 02:28 AM
Gambit is a psiwar. The energize and explosive weapon powers and al...
The professor is a psion.
Jean Grey is a wilder.
Cyclops is a warlock.
Nightcrawler is a horizon walker.
Magneto is a wizard.
Beast is an anthropomorhic warblade
Mystique is a doppelganger factotum
Storm is a druid
Psylocke is a master of the unseen hand

thats it for now...

Vaynor
2010-06-17, 02:51 AM
Seems to me like a warlock with refluffed invocations or homebrew invocations would be your best bet for most of these. Infinite uses and all that jazz. Most of the energy abilities could just be eldritch blast.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 11:27 AM
Nice ideas everyone. Ill have to look into some of them for good old gambit. I actually have made colossus and ghost rider for a Marvel universe module I ran. Colossus was a half Feral Half Iron Golem with levels of Warblade. And Ghost Rider was a Duskblade/Warlock into hellfire warlock and then Eldritch Theurge. He was awesome...not really xmen but sorta fitting. I was thinking wolverine would be well done with a shifter soul blade with the feral template

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 11:33 AM
Actually I have seen Wolverine be stated as a shifter totem rager, with sphinx claws binded to the hand chakra

Common look at the image and tell me they aren't wolverine

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dx20050907a_91040.jpg

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 11:35 AM
Hahahaha, that is spot on sir. Spot on indeed.

Draz74
2010-06-17, 11:38 AM
Magneto is a wizard.

Maybe a Wu Jen focused on metal-list spells?

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 11:44 AM
I always thought that a metal oriented wu jen would make a good magneto. Something with transmutation on objects too. As he can manipulate metal to form other shapes. Perhaps that prestige from the dragon compendium from the metal wu jen. I can't remember the name of it. But they get an ability to turn things into other things. You could just say it only works on metal objects as flavour.

Jeff240sx
2010-06-17, 12:24 PM
I always thought that a metal oriented wu jen would make a good magneto. Something with transmutation on objects too. As he can manipulate metal to form other shapes. Perhaps that prestige from the dragon compendium from the metal wu jen. I can't remember the name of it. But they get an ability to turn things into other things. You could just say it only works on metal objects as flavour.

To add flavor, you need to increase it's potency on what it does affect, while eliminating it from affecting other items.

See also: Goliath Druid variant in RoS.
Gain: More powerful Earth Elemental.
Lose: Other Elementals.

hamishspence
2010-06-17, 12:40 PM

Storm had Control Weather.
Jean had Telekinesis.

It's been a while, and I leant my start of darkness to a friend so I don't know what else he did.

Jean had "Telekinesis. And sometimes Fireball"
Colossus had "Iron Body, comrade!"
Wolverine had "Wait, are sorcerers even proficient in these things?"

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 01:41 PM
Oh you know who else would be awesome...Banshee. Screaming for massive sonic damage.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 01:59 PM
I don't know who banshee is but a Maenad seems right up that alley (at least the shattering shout)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/80498.jpg

Greenish
2010-06-17, 02:01 PM
I don't know who banshee is but a Maenad seems right up that alley (at least the shattering shout)Maenad Kineticist.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 02:04 PM
I think a Wilder seems a better option surginng euphoria and all that

Greenish
2010-06-17, 02:08 PM
I think a Wilder seems a better option surginng euphoria and all thatKineticist so you can have Sonic Missile, Sonic Cone, Sonic Ball, Sonic Current and so forth.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 02:18 PM
Oh wow that is perfect. I didn't even think about psionics for that. I was looking into seeker of the song haha. But that would work perfectly.

Draz74
2010-06-17, 02:20 PM
Oh wow that is perfect. I didn't even think about psionics for that. I was looking into seeker of the song haha. But that would work perfectly.

Always try Psionics first. It usually works better. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-17, 02:20 PM
Sabertooth: Frenzied Beserker focussed on Unarmed.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-17, 02:28 PM
Sabertooth: Frenzied Beserker focussed on Unarmed.

Eh, just slap the feral template on for claw attacks and a pounce and bam, done, sabertooth.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 02:35 PM
Im with the Frenzied to be Sabertooth. Perhaps feral shifter into frenzied berserker and then weretouched master for a little extra bestial flavour.

@ Anyone who knows. There was before mentioned psy warrior powers called energize and explosive weapons however I cannot find these things. Anyone know where they are at?

Beorn080
2010-06-17, 02:54 PM
Don't forget that Cyclops is to be found on a random island in the ocean.

For some reason, I see Wolverine as a Half Troll Were Wolverine Monk 20 with as many fast healing feats as possible.

Vaynor
2010-06-17, 03:08 PM

I did a metal wu jen PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475196&postcount=9) for the latest PrC contest, not sure if it's what you're looking for though.

Greenish
2010-06-17, 04:34 PM
Sabertooth: Frenzied Beserker focussed on Unarmed.Needs some Fist of the Forest.

TheThan
2010-06-17, 04:57 PM
Professor x, Emma frost- are easy to do with a psion (telepath) (what are you talking about Emma doesn’t have any diamond hard skin, lalala I can’t hear you).

Jean Grey, Cable and Phoenix can either be psions (kineticist) this time, or wilders. Though cable needs warforged graphs on his arm.

Psylock is totally a soulknife

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-17, 07:27 PM
Alright time for something awesome. The juggernaut...immunity to damage. Unless I am mistaken if you were to be a Shifter Whatever into flux adept. At 10th level granting you regeneration then taking the feat making a shifted shifter be immune to nonlethal damage...unless I am reading the rules wrong...that is an unstoppable force :)

Soras Teva Gee
2010-06-17, 08:13 PM

Heheh, guess Rich didn't do the research.

Scott Summers absorbs energy from his environment that then enables his eyes to open dimensional apertures to a non-Newtonian universe where the normal laws of physics do not apply, where the energy of the universe then proceeds to shoot out of the portals in his eyes creating a beam resembling physical force of immense power, that because its extra-dimensional does not trip off said Newton's third law of equal and opposite reaction against Cyke himself.

Yes I know.

There are also those that argue that Cyke should "logically" be able to fly by holding his hands over his head and staring at them.

Yes, I know.

He also for some reason is immune not only to his own power but that of his brother Havoc, but not to those of his brother Vulcan last I checked.

Chambers
2010-06-17, 09:45 PM
For some reason, I see Wolverine as a Half Troll Were Wolverine Monk 20 with as many fast healing feats as possible.

Greetings, Sir or Madam. May I introduce you to the King of Smack (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866038/The_king_of_smack)?

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-18, 12:08 PM
@Soras

Good old Cyclops is a fun one. I was thinking either getting some sort of Template that grants a gaze attack OR Acquiring a breath weapon and pimping it out via feats etc and just calling it an...eye weapon

@Unnamed

King of smack is indeed a hoss...although I don't know if it really fits the flavour of Wolverine maybe some other big nasty such as Juggernaut would be more of a fit for such a big smack down.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-06-18, 01:16 PM
@Soras

Good old Cyclops is a fun one. I was thinking either getting some sort of Template that grants a gaze attack OR Acquiring a breath weapon and pimping it out via feats etc and just calling it an...eye weapon.

Aren't gaze attacks technically not eye beams in at least some cases. I seem to recall if you can't see for example they don't work. Or am I just mish-mashing different stuff.

A breath weapon sound like a good base, the trick real though is which damage type is appropriate to the overly-complicated nature of his powers. Fire is not it. I can decide between physical damage or force damage personally.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-06-18, 01:21 PM
I can decide between physical damage or force damage personally.

Force damage seems the most appropriate. I know there is a force dragon somewhere...but I don't know if you could acquire his breath weapon from one of those various sources as force damage is...well amazingly better than most elements.