PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New PCs, Binder and Favoured Soul.

Myou
2010-06-17, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, a friend and I are making PCs for a new game, starting at level 1, and we're pretty sure we want to play a Binder and Favoured Soul, so I thought that since my friend hasn't played in years and I've no experience with either, that I'd ask you for advice.

What feats/abilities/vestiges/spells should we be looking at, and are there any point of note about the binder that I might not have picked up on?

I'm probably not going to take any PrCs with my FS, but are there any binder PrCs about? Or any support for binders in other books?

Edit: Ok, just the favoured soul.

Amphetryon
2010-06-17, 06:45 AM
Start here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.0). :smallsmile:

Myou
2010-06-17, 12:35 PM
Start here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.0). :smallsmile:

It's a start. :smallsmile:

Sadly being reposted seems to have screwed up the formatting, so it's pretty hard to read.

Greenish
2010-06-17, 12:58 PM
Sadly being reposted seems to have screwed up the formatting, so it's pretty hard to read.Binding the last vestiges of long lost creatures of great power to your soul is not supposed to be easy!

subject42
2010-06-17, 01:06 PM
It's a start. :smallsmile:

Sadly being reposted seems to have screwed up the formatting, so it's pretty hard to read.

If you look on a later page someone has reformatted most of it.

Myou
2010-06-17, 01:21 PM
If you look on a later page someone has reformatted most of it.

Ah, that's good. :3

Binding the last vestiges of long lost creatures of great power to your soul is not supposed to be easy!

Sure it is, it's just a simple skill check. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-06-17, 01:22 PM
Sure it is, it's just a simple skill check. :smallbiggrin:
To be super technical, the skill check only is to see if you are actually influenced by the vestige or not. You automatically gain their powers by binding them, successful on your check or not. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2010-06-17, 03:12 PM
The Favored Soul is highly dependent on your choice of god and their favored weapon. A good choice here is Kossuth, a FR fire deity. Kossuth's favored weapon is the spiked chain, so you'll get these bonus feats:

1. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain)
3. Weapon Focus (spiked chain)
12. Weapon Specialization (spiked chain)

Myou
2010-06-17, 03:16 PM
The Favored Soul is highly dependent on your choice of god and their favored weapon. A good choice here is Kossuth, a FR fire deity. Kossuth's favored weapon is the spiked chain, so you'll get these bonus feats:

1. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain)
3. Weapon Focus (spiked chain)
12. Weapon Specialization (spiked chain)

Ohhh, that's pretty handy. :3

Sadly we don't have the FR Pantheon. xD

0Megabyte
2010-06-17, 03:36 PM
While most of this is already in that handbook, here's a bit for binders:

Take Improved Binding. Don't ask questions, just take it. See what it does. It adds two levels for the purpose of deciding what kind of vestige you can take. That means it allows you to take a second level vestige at level one. Since you are level one, this will be useful your entire campaign.

Also, for prestige classes, take Knight of the Sacred Seal. That is all.

Zore
2010-06-17, 03:40 PM
While most of this is already in that handbook, here's a bit for binders:

Take Improved Binding. Don't ask questions, just take it. See what it does. It adds two levels for the purpose of deciding what kind of vestige you can take. That means it allows you to take a second level vestige at level one. Since you are level one, this will be useful your entire campaign.

Also, for prestige classes, take Knight of the Sacred Seal. That is all.

Correction, it adds FOUR levels. But Binding progresses a bit weirdly so I think its still level 2 vestiges at the start.

Amphetryon
2010-06-17, 03:42 PM
Malphas comes highly recommended as a vestige.

Anima Mage is mighty tasty indeed.

As indicated, the formatting is fixed on later pages, by other posters. I think JWO's original post got messed up when gleemax had their massive redesign away from the parchment look.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-17, 03:43 PM
Ohhh, that's pretty handy. :3

Sadly we don't have the FR Pantheon. xD
How about a wasteland (not specific to any pantheon) deity? Sandstorm has Zoser, who also has the spiked chain as favored weapon.

Thurbane
2010-06-17, 09:21 PM
Oooh, Binder and FS...two of my favorite base classes!

When I get a sec, I'll post up all the tips I've garnered for these two, on top of the ever present class guides.

Oh, and my own mini-handbook for Favored Soul, work in progress: [3.5] Favored Soul tips, tricks and general discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152070)

:smallwink:

Myou
2010-06-18, 02:53 AM
Correction, it adds FOUR levels. But Binding progresses a bit weirdly so I think its still level 2 vestiges at the start.

Isn't that overpowered? :smallconfused:

How about a wasteland (not specific to any pantheon) deity? Sandstorm has Zoser, who also has the spiked chain as favored weapon.

Awesome. :3
If I go for a spiked chain build I'll know just who to worship. ^^

Oooh, Binder and FS...two of my favorite base classes!

When I get a sec, I'll post up all the tips I've garnered for these two, on top of the ever present class guides.

Oh, and my own mini-handbook for Favored Soul, work in progress: [3.5] Favored Soul tips, tricks and general discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152070)

:smallwink:

Ooooh, brilliant, thanks!

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 07:50 AM
To be super technical, the skill check only is to see if you are actually influenced by the vestige or not. You automatically gain their powers by binding them, successful on your check or not. :smalltongue:

Nitpick: some still have special requirements that you have to meet, so it isn't always automatic. (There is a feat to get around this though.)

It says it adds two in my ToM. Where it starts messing you up is Binder 6 onward (where you start needing 3 levels to get to the next vestige instead of two), and Binder 17 (where the feat no longer has a benefit.)

DragoonWraith
2010-06-18, 09:33 AM
You're mixing up Improved Binding and Improved Bind Vestige.

Improved Binding is for an actual Binder, and increases the effective EBL for the purposes of determining the highest-level Vestige he can bind by 2. This means a Binder 1 can bind 2nd level Vestiges (which normally require Binder 3). At 17 or 18, IIRC, it becomes useless because you already have the highest level Vestiges (8th) even without the feat.

Improved Bind Vestige does nothing for Binders, it's for folks with the Bind Vestige feat, allowing you to bind Vestiges up to 3rd level (as a 5th level Binder). It is not EBL +4, it is EBL = 5 for the very limited purposes of the Bind Vestige feat.

Myou
2010-06-18, 07:09 PM
Well, it's a real shame, my friend has decided not to play a binder after all. I was really eager to see how the class worked out, but instead he's going for a fullmetal alchemist base class he's been working on.

I'm still eager to play a favoured soul, so let's focus on that. :3