PDA

View Full Version : Would this work out?

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-17, 02:54 PM
Not a Character Optimization
I'm thinking of the following:
I'll have a 10th-level Battle Sorcerer, and am going to take weapon group (polearms) from Unearthed Arcana. Would that qualify me for Eldritch Knight due to the fact that you can use weapon groups instead of class proficiencies?
Thanks,
Xavez

Frog Dragon
2010-06-17, 03:01 PM
First of, you cannot ask a RAI question, because we do not know the intent of the designers. RAW does not mean optimization.
Also, it seems to me that it wouldn't work, since you don't have all weapon proficiencies, by just that.
However, where there's a game, there's a DM. The makers of the weapon group rules clearly didn't think of PRC qualification, and there's no clear way to determine this soo... Ask your DM.

Dracons
2010-06-17, 03:03 PM
This is of course, assuming your DM plays by those rules. You cannot just take weapon groups and call it good it without consulting the DM.

Keld Denar
2010-06-17, 03:11 PM
It WOULD qualify you for Abjurant Champion though, which IIRC, don't require proficiency with ALL martial weapons, only a handful.

EK requires ALL Martial weapons, so no, just knowning polearms would not qualify you without DM fiat.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-17, 03:12 PM
While I am not your DM, and I agree with the general consensus this is a DM question, would battle sorcerer under the normal system of weapons qualify without dipping some other class? No.
It's up to your DM, but I would say you wouldn't qualify under this variant system either.
Edit: *tickles* whose a ninja, whose a NINJA?! You Are! ! !Oh You're the cutest lil' ninja EVER!

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-17, 03:13 PM
I was just seeing if it did work out by the rules normally; I'll ask Cieyrin when he gets back from hiatus.
-Xavez

Private-Prinny
2010-06-17, 03:14 PM
There are still plenty of martial weapons that you aren't proficient with, so no, it would not work. However, if you go for a 2 level dip into Paladin, you would gain all of the necessary proficiencies, as well as the sexy save bonuses.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-17, 03:18 PM
There are still plenty of martial weapons that you aren't proficient with, so no, it would not work. However, if you go for a 2 level dip into Paladin, you would gain all of the necessary proficiencies, as well as the sexy save bonuses.

Well, then I would lose 3 CL, and I want Meteor Swarm! I'll probably end up with a one-level dip into fighter.
-Xavez

Temotei
2010-06-17, 03:24 PM
Well, then I would lose 3 CL, and I want Meteor Swarm! I'll probably end up with a one-level dip into fighter.
-Xavez

Ask your DM if you can substitute the bonus feat for +1 to existing spellcasting class for the first eldritch knight level.

Of course, you'll still end up losing two caster levels. Taking fighter 1 and eldritch knight forces the same loss, but it's fine by RAW.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-17, 03:36 PM
Ask your DM if you can substitute the bonus feat for +1 to existing spellcasting class for the first eldritch knight level.

Of course, you'll still end up losing two caster levels. Taking fighter 1 and eldritch knight forces the same loss, but it's fine by RAW.

I don't know where that 3 CL of mine came from, but yours is the best idea yet. Thank you.
-Xavez

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-17, 04:48 PM
If you have access to Dragon Magic, you could take a level in Dragonslayer, which gives full martial weapon proficiencies, which would get you into EK.

Doc Roc
2010-06-17, 10:53 PM
I can make you qualify, do you want me to?