PDA

View Full Version : Backup Character Help 3.5 Rnd 2

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 04:58 PM
After talking to my dm about the template for the demon arrow and such..and possible ways to make it good. We came to a conclusion that he dont care, but dont want that.

Please Include books.

So its down to this.

An optimised Cleric Archer. You have 10 levels any templates, any books. Feats...4 flaws worth of bonus feats.

Please help.

Or an artificer archer.

PId6
2010-06-17, 05:11 PM
Race: Gray Elf (MM1)

Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 2/Divine Oracle 4/Sacred Exorcist 1/Contemplative X

Cloistered Cleric is from UA. All PrCs from CDiv.

Trade Turn Undead for Destroy Undead (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft), then get it back via Sacred Exorcist. Each Extra Turning you take after that point adds to both pools, and you can use both for DMM.

Domains:

Planning (SpC)
Undeath (SpC)
Knowledge (Trade for Knowledge Devotion)

Feats:

Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Zen Archery (CWar)
Skill Focus (Knowledge: Religion)
Extend Spell (Bonus from Planning Domain)
Extra Turning (Bonus from Undeath Domain)
Knowledge Devotion (Traded Knowledge Domain, CChamp)
Persistent Spell (CArc)
Divine Metamagic (CDiv)

Everything else just take Extra Turning.

Items:

Splitting Bow (Champions of Ruin)
Lots of Nightsticks (Bad Latin)

Spells:

Persistent Divine Favor
Persistent Divine Power
Persistent Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC)
Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC)
Greater Magic Weapon
Magic Vestment

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 05:13 PM
what books are these from?

also what are nightsticks for?

bad latin?

PId6
2010-06-17, 05:17 PM
Sources added.

Nightsticks are for lots of Extra Turning to power Divine Metamagic.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 05:18 PM
Ok sounds good. Thank you ill read up on it.

PId6
2010-06-17, 05:22 PM
Actually, changing race recommendation to Gray Elf. You need a lot of skill points for the various PrCs, and for Knowledge Devotion. The Con penalty is regrettable, but whatever.

gbprime
2010-06-17, 05:39 PM
Mystic Ranger 10 (Dragon Magazine 336)

gets ranger archery path, full BAB, and 5th level divine spells. Add ranged combat feats (and 0-2 flaws) to taste.

Much simpler. Not as powerful a caster, of course, but far less likely to give your DM a migraine.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 06:05 PM
Looks pretty good. I wont need anything higher than 5th level?

Greenish
2010-06-17, 06:12 PM
Looks pretty good. I wont need anything higher than 5th level?Polymorph is a 4th level spell. You can gain access to it with Sword of the Arcane Order. If your type is Outsider (and you got 10 levels of free LA, right?), you can just polymorph yourself into an arrow demon.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 06:15 PM
Heh, So whats the build for such an evil thing? I wasnt able to find one.

gbprime
2010-06-17, 06:19 PM
The POINT of the Mystic Ranger is that you don't NEED to polymorph yourself into an arrow demon. They tried that first thread and the DM said no, remember? Nor is the DM likely to react well to a nightstick-fueled 5-class cleric build with persistant everything.

Mystic Ranger is just that, a ranger full BAB and bow with tons of ranger spells. And ranger spells contain much goodliness for archery. You don't need higher than 5th level spells because there AREN'T any. that's the limit of the class. After that, it's just more archery progression and more spells per day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-17, 06:22 PM
Go with an Elf, Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) 5/ Divine Oracle 4/ Seeker of the Misty Isle 1, and take your next ten levels in Contemplative. You worship no particular deity, and you've already cast Lesser Planar Ally at least once to meet the special requirement for Contemplative. Say you visited the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel and pay 2,000 gp to get Skill Focus: Kn (Religion) without spending a feat on it, since it's required for Divine Oracle. Your starting domains should be Elf, Knowledge, and War, you'll get the Oracle and Travel domains from your prestige classes, and your Contemplative domains should be Spell and Destiny. Focus on Wisdom and Constitution, none of your other ability scores really even matter.

You'll get Weapon Focus: Longbow (and composite versions) and Point Blank Shot from your domains, and Skill Focus: Kn (Religion) from the Frog God's Fane. For your four feats plus four flaw feats I'd get Otherworldly, Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), Precise Shot, Zen Archery, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM: Persistent, and Extra Turning. The standard cost of hiring an NPC spellcaster to cast Embrace the Dark Chaos or Shun the Dark Chaos from Fiendish Codex I on you would be 2610 gp, so for 5220 gp each you can trade your racial Martial Weapon Proficiency feats out for any feat you qualify for. You'll still retain proficiency in longbows due to the War domain, so that's four more feats you can get if you're willing to pay 20,880 gp. For those feats take Knowledge Devotion, Sanctum Spell, Craft Rod, and Woodland Archer. Your Item Familiar should be your bow, which should be an Elvencraft Composite Longbow, and you can enchant it as though you had any magic item creation feat required to do so. It also gives you a 10% bonus on all previous and future XP, so even after crafting items yourself you'll still be ahead of everyone else.

Starting at 10th level you'll have 49,000 gp to spend, 20,880 gp of which goes toward the Chaos Shuffle above. You can craft Rods yourself for half price, including Night Sticks and metamagic rods of Extend. Your remaining 28,120 gp should go toward the following:
two Lesser Rod of Extend (crafted, 3000 gp, 240 xp)
standard Strand of Prayer Beads, Beads of Healing and Smiting removed (0 gp as per DMG)
three Nightsticks (crafted, 11250 gp, 900 xp)
Item Familiar: This should begin as an Elvencraft version of a Bow of the Wintermoon (3400 gp +900 gp for Elvencraft and masterwork/masterwork), you should further augment it by making each end +1 Defending (8,000 gp, 640 xp). Note that you do not have the relic power active on this item.
Whatever remains should be invested in armor, spell components, etc.
Future items should include adding Seeking to your bow (current magical properties are valued at 3,000 gp, so 2,000 for a +1 weapon and +1000 for the relic property, so it would be 6,000 gp to upgrade it to a +2 equivalent weapon, or half of that in gold and 1/25 in xp), crafting a standard Rod of Extend, getting a Periapt of Wisdom, and getting a 6th level Pearl of Power.

Buffs: Each day you should use the Bead of Karma from your strand of prayer beads to get +4 caster level and cast the following spells:
(Lesser Rod of Extended) Magic Vestment on your armor;
Triadspell on your prepared Sanctum Greater Magic Weapon, which is considered a 3rd level spell outside your sanctum, optional;
(Lesser Rod of Extended) Sanctum Greater Magic Weapon x3 on your bow and each quarterstaff end;
(Lesser Rod of Extended) Longstrider;
DMM: Persistent Divine Power;
DMM: Persistent Divine Favor;

Next level, you'll be able to use Greater Anyspell to cast DMM: Persistent Draconic Polymorph: Arrow Demon, so by that time you'll need a second Mighty Composite Longbow (Str +12), which you'll also buff with (Lesser Rod of Extended) Sanctum Greater Magic Weapon.

Once you get 6th level spells, probably around level 13 or 14, you can use a standard Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power as follows: Every other day cast Energy Immunity three times, using the pearl to recover one so you only use two spell slots, extending them so each lasts 48 hours. On the days in between cast Superior Resistance and Energy Immunity twice, again using the pearl to only use two spell slots, again extending them so each lasts 48 hours. That will give you continual immunity to all five energy types and a +6 resistance bonus on saving throws.

Once you get 7th level spells you'll want to cast DMM: Persistent Holy Star at least once, ideally three times. Note that one mode of the spell can get used up but the spell itself does not discharge, so it can be made persistent. Each star can be kept in a different mode, or all three switched to shooting rays of fire. Once the Spell Turning effect of one star gets used up just switch it to a different mode and switch another one to Spell Turning.

When you have 8th level spells you'll want to cast DMM: Persistent Stormrage.

At 17th level you'll be able to cast DMM: Persistent Choose Destiny from the Destiny domain, found in Races of Destiny. It is the best buff in the entire game.

Greenish
2010-06-17, 06:24 PM
The POINT of the Mystic Ranger is that you don't NEED to polymorph yourself into an arrow demon.And you don't NEED the mystic ranger spell progression: doesn't mean that it doesn't help.
They tried that first thread and the DM said no, remember?They tried to get the Arrow Demon for the race. :smallwink:

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 06:30 PM
Greenish is correct. I tried to make my own template to get passed on.

it was -2 con, -2 wis, -2 int, -2 cha
-human feat
-skills
+ close combat shot
+ oversized weapon
+ the two handed bow thing

that was denied for a la +3

However, If i can find another means then great. That one listed above about the super cleric archer was nice..i have to look it up and reread it to understand it better.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 09:55 PM
Would paladin be a better option rather than cleric? Also still reading up on all that other snazzy stuff.

PId6
2010-06-17, 10:24 PM
Would paladin be a better option rather than cleric?
NO!!! 10 char

gbprime
2010-06-17, 10:26 PM
Some opinions have wiggle room, some don't. I'm gonna chalk that one up as a "don't". :smallamused:

And for what it's worth, I concur.

dextercorvia
2010-06-17, 10:40 PM
Seriously, how optimized is the game you're in? Some of these builds are neat and all, but DMM Persist is pretty over the top for a casual game. A nice Scout build with Greater Manyshot will probably be sufficient. Ranger levels and Swift Hunter wouldn't be bad.

Starting at 10?

Scout1/Ranger6/Scout+3

Key feats

1st: Point-Blank Shot
Ranger2: Rapid Shot
Ranger6: Manyshot
9th: Greater Manyshot
Scout4: Swift Hunter

For favored enemy pick your [DM's] favorite 3 of the 5 Plant, Ooze, Elemental, Undead, and Construct.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 10:42 PM
Ok on the paladin lol.

On the scout cools. Thats from PHB2 right?

Optimising..hmmm

we have a dread necromancer, a druid with that one plane thing, totem barbarian, and not sure on the last yet.

dextercorvia
2010-06-17, 10:45 PM
Ok on the paladin lol.

On the scout cools. Thats from PHB2 right?

Optimising..hmmm

we have a dread necromancer, a druid with that one plane thing, totem barbarian, and not sure on the last yet.

Planar Shepherd? Maybe I was wrong. Scout is from Complete Adventurer, Swift Hunter is from Complete Scoundrel, and everything else can be found in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/). You have to look with the Psionic feats for Greater Manyshot, even though it isn't psionic. I just search for it.

TripperdeCleric
2010-06-17, 11:33 PM
Yeah planar sheperd.

Ok thanks for letting me know. Ill look into that stuff.