PDA

View Full Version : Items that give extra turn undead attempts?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-17, 06:00 PM
Can anybody point a few of these out to me? I'm currently playing a Paladin who could make great use of these. I currently can't afford a better cloak of charisma unfortunately.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-17, 06:05 PM
Nightstick, Libris mortis.

EDIT: Paladin? Hope you're using them to fuel Divine feats, and not actually turning with them...

Jarian
2010-06-17, 06:06 PM
Reliquary Holy Symbol, Magic Item Compendium.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-17, 06:07 PM
Nightstick, Libris mortis.

EDIT: Paladin? Hope you're using them to fuel Divine feats, and not actually turning with them...

Actually, this is a homebrew version of Paladin. A lot of the features of the class work off of turn undead attempts.

Reliquary Holy Symbol, Magic Item Compendium.

I'll look for this too.

EDIT: if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?

PId6
2010-06-17, 06:41 PM
EDIT: if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?
You don't gain any extra turning attempts from Reliquary Holy Symbol with Extra Turning. It gives you one for 5 ranks in Know: Religion, one for Improved Turning, and one for a Divine feat. They're if-then statements, so you don't get extra if you have more Divine feats for example.

aeauseth
2010-06-17, 06:42 PM
if you have the extra turning feat more than once does the Reliquary give you more turn undead attempts?

The Nightstick and Reliquary Holy Symbol work in addition to your extra turning feat(s). Note that you can only use one Nightstick and one Reliquary Holy Symbol.

EDIT: For example Extra Turning (4) + Extra Turning (4) + Nightstick (4) + Reliquary Holy Symbol (2 - with Divine Feat & Religion Skills) = 14 turns. Just need to add in your base of 3 turns + charima bonus.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-17, 06:44 PM
Okay. Thank you. I just wanted to be sure.

Ernir
2010-06-17, 06:48 PM
Note that you can only use one Nightstick and one Reliquary Holy Symbol.

The former tends to be a subject of dispute.

The usual conclusion is that by the Rules as Written, they stack, but that they should be houseruled to work the other way.

Douglas
2010-06-17, 06:48 PM
Note that you can only use one Nightstick
That is a common house rule, but it is not RAW.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-17, 07:02 PM
Well, Considering my DM would kill me if I tried stacking on too many turn undead attempts I'll avoid using more than two nightsticks at most.

aeauseth
2010-06-17, 07:08 PM
That is a common house rule, but it is not RAW.

Are you sure? I'd like to hear thoughts on this. The nightstick has NO charges. It temporarily increases your turns by +4 to anyone who possesses the rod.

For example: You have 10 turns/day. Pickup (possess) a nightstick so now have 14 turns/day. Use up 12 turns (on whatever) so 2 left for the day. Drop nightstick so you have 12 used and none left (ok ,-2 left). Pick up a new nightstick and you have 14 turns/day but have already used 12, so only 2 left to use today.

By the FAQ turns are kept track of by how many you have used, not how many are left. The DMG states that bonuses from the same named source do not stack (except for Luck and some Cirsumstance's).

I just don't see how you can use RAW to justify using multiple nightsticks...

Forever Curious
2010-06-17, 07:12 PM
Are you sure? I'd like to hear thoughts on this. The nightstick has NO charges. It temporarily increases your turns by +4 to anyone who possesses the rod.

For example: You have 10 turns/day. Pickup (possess) a nightstick so now have 14 turns/day. Use up 12 turns (on whatever) so 2 left for the day. Drop nightstick so you have 12 used and none left (ok ,-2 left). Pick up a new nightstick and you have 14 turns/day but have already used 12, so only 2 left to use today.

By the FAQ turns are kept track of by how many you have used, not how many are left. The DMG states that bonuses from the same named source do not stack (except for Luck and some Cirsumstance's).

I just don't see how you can use RAW to justify using multiple nightsticks...

Technically they would be classified as an "untyped" bonus, and thus would stack hypothetically.

Of course, RAW doesn't take into account creative interpretation, hence the commonly accepted RAI house rule.

Douglas
2010-06-17, 07:20 PM

The part I bolded is where you're wrong. There is no need to "drop" the first nightstick at any point, or even to pick up the next one. The bonus is applied to whoever possesses the item, and there's nothing beyond price and availability to stop you from possessing a million of them at once.

Heck, by RAW you don't even need to have the nightsticks on your person to gain their benefit. They just have to be clearly yours. You could have them tucked away in your private demiplane, encased in giant cement blocks buried miles underground, and you'd still get your bonus turn attempts.

Irreverent Fool
2010-06-17, 07:23 PM
Technically they would be classified as an "untyped" bonus, and thus would stack hypothetically.

Of course, RAW doesn't take into account creative interpretation, hence the commonly accepted RAI house rule.

It could be argued that it is a "bonus from the same source", in spite of being untyped. This is the same argument used to prevent one from pumping Caster Level via multiple of the same ioun stone (orange, iirc). Granted, I don't believe the nightstick text calls it a "bonus."

gbprime
2010-06-17, 07:25 PM
The part I bolded is where you're wrong. There is no need to "drop" the first nightstick at any point, or even to pick up the next one. The bonus is applied to whoever possesses the item, and there's nothing beyond price and availability to stop you from possessing a million of them at once.

Heck, by RAW you don't even need to have the nightsticks on your person to gain their benefit. They just have to be clearly yours. You could have them tucked away in your private demiplane, encased in giant cement blocks buried miles underground, and you'd still get your bonus turn attempts.

Hence the nickname "nightstacks" :smallamused: