PDA

View Full Version : Mithral Breastplate?

DegenPaladin
2010-06-17, 06:15 PM
I have what is probably a really dumb question, and that is what is the armor check penalty of a Mithral Breastplate? I understand how to apply what Mithral is telling me to a normal Breastplate, not a total nub :P

The question really comes when I read the line all items made out of Mithral are masterwork. So do I apply the masterwork bonus first or is that already included in the armor check reduction in the description of Mithral? Thanks in advance.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-17, 06:17 PM
I have what is probably a really dumb question, and that is what is the armor check penalty of a Mithral Breastplate? I understand how to apply what Mithral is telling me to a normal Breastplate, not a total nub :P

The question really comes when I read the line all items made out of Mithral are masterwork. So do I apply the masterwork bonus first or is that already included in the armor check reduction in the description of Mithral? Thanks in advance.

The masterwork bonus only overlaps with magical bonuses. The penalty reduction from masterwork should stack with mithral(always did in any campaign I've ever been in, too)

Grumman
2010-06-17, 06:22 PM
A mithral breastplate has a -2 ACP.

gbprime
2010-06-17, 06:22 PM
Masterwork is included in the Mithril property. Read about it here.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/specialMaterials.html

Douglas
2010-06-17, 06:23 PM
Because all Mithral items are masterwork, the modifiers for masterwork are already included in the Mithral modifiers. This is explicitly stated for price, and can be reasonably inferred from that for other properties. That inference can then be confirmed by checking the stats for Elven Chain and Mithral Full Plate of Speed.

DegenPaladin
2010-06-17, 06:40 PM
Thanks a ton guys

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-17, 06:44 PM
Because all Mithral items are masterwork, the modifiers for masterwork are already included in the Mithral modifiers. This is explicitly stated for price, and can be reasonably inferred from that for other properties. That inference can then be confirmed by checking the stats for Elven Chain and Mithral Full Plate of Speed.

On the flip side, I always played the Masterwork bonus still applying because only cost is called out as already included. Although I'll admit that I can't really argue with the printed examples.

Think I'll still play it my old way though.