PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Disciple & Eldritch Spellweave

aeauseth
2010-06-17, 06:37 PM
I can finally use Eldritch Spellweave, however it isn't obvious for what.

I could use Posion + Frightful Blast to do CON damage and a minor fear effect. Doesn't seem like a big deal, in fact I would probably never use the Poison spell considering my 6d6 eldritch glaive attacks.

It appears that the eldritch essence's were a bit weak, so I only took Hellrime Blast because I intend to enter the Hellfire Warlock prestiege class and it qualifies for the prereq. I also believe the Hellrime Blast affects swarms, so I thought it was a good choice.

Can anyone provide useful examples of Eldritch Spellweave?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 06:41 PM
Vitroilic Blast to remove SR? (Eldritch spellwave is the ability to afect spells with eldritch essenses right?

aeauseth
2010-06-17, 06:50 PM
Eldritch spellwave is the ability to afect spells with eldritch essenses right?

Sorta. Eldritch Spellweave allows you to apply a Warlock eldritch essence invocation you know to any divine spell that affects a target or that requires a melee or ranged touch attack. There are several qualifiers that are discussed in deatil in the Complete Mage under the Eldritch Disciple prestiege class.

EDIT: Vitriolic Blast is a 6th level invocation, so you could only pair it with a 6+ level divine spell. At the moment I can only cast level 4 spells.

EDIT: So what cleric spell would you pair Vitrolic Blast with? I realize it would bypass SR, but I'm still not sure what cleric spell you would rather use than a straight forward 14d6 hellfire blast.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 06:54 PM
Ok so you can affect it with vitroilic blast right?

Hague
2010-06-17, 07:38 PM
A liberal interpretation, but you could use Negative Energy touch spells + Hammer blast to destroy doors and objects. Again, that's a pretty loose interpretation.

It would definitely be a unique way to assassinate someone. Bluff check to Offer to heal someone with a spell, then apply repelling blast and they fly careening off a cliff or down a huge pit or into the magma, etc... The same thing could apply to lots of creatures. Though, I'd play this with the DM by letting you cast a beneficial spell on a creature. Otherwise you can affect undead with your blast essences. Though since most of them are will or fort saves, you'll have a hard time. It'd be nice to use with a Fire Domain evil cleric. Heightened Produce flame will let you throw multiple flames in succession with different blast essences. For instance, you'll now have Produce Acid or Produce Cold and so on.

Edit: Nevermind, produce flame wouldn't work, since the invocation only applies to one target. Lame...

Really, I wouldn't bother advancing that class past 4th level. This ability seems useless one you examine it closely. The effects are minor, and there are so many conditions for using it that it barely applies to any spells in any useful manner that wouldn't be aided by simply using your eldritch blast instead. The only good thing is perhaps picking up Healing Blast and Corrupting Blast. Really, healing blast is the best one. Who wouldn't want 14d6 heals in a cone effect or a shapeable effect, or at long range. The ability to turn your blasts into ranged healing attacks. You can dip into Enlightened Spirit to get Spirit Blast, a good essence invocation for dealing with ghosts and undead (if you are Chaotic Good). Really, Eldritch Spellweave from the Disciple is just awful.

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 07:38 AM
Did you mean Eldritch Theurge? They're the ones that get Spellweave, not disciple.

And yes, Vitriolic is very nice to add to SR:Yes spells, like Shivering Touch.

aeauseth
2010-06-18, 06:11 PM
Really, I wouldn't bother advancing that class past 4th level.

I agree that past 4th level the Eldritch Disciple's class abilities seem weak. However, I am unaware of another cleric+warlock prestiege class, any suggestions?

aeauseth
2010-06-18, 06:14 PM
Did you mean Eldritch Theurge? They're the ones that get Spellweave, not disciple.

Both Eldritch Disciple and Eldritch Thurge get Eldritch Spellweave at level 5.