PDA

View Full Version : The Habs did WHAT (Hockey)

Lord Loss
2010-06-17, 08:03 PM
I just heard it myself:

Jaroslav Halak was traded to St. Louis for the players Eller and Schultz, two good offense players.

:furious: Words can't express how angry I am at the Habs' manager :furious:

My favorite player ist gone. :smallfrown:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-17, 08:46 PM
They traded Halak?

Why?:smallsigh:

Phae Nymna
2010-06-17, 09:08 PM
Meanwhile, in south Louisiana, no one even understands what Hockey is.

Eldritch Knight
2010-06-17, 09:17 PM
To paraphrase a friend of mine:

When I was in Montreal a while back, Pierre Gaithier crossed in front of me while I was waiting at a red light.

Today he traded Halak for two prospects.

Back in March, while I was in Montreal, I should've ran a few more Red lights.

I concur with his sentiment, even though I myself am I die-hard Leafs man.

They will get the cup SOMETIME this century!

KilltheToy
2010-06-18, 03:34 PM
Meanwhile, in south Louisiana, no one even understands what Hockey is.

It's okay. My brother has the same problem here in southeast Texas.

However, they did at one point in time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Brass)

Joran
2010-06-18, 03:58 PM
Wait... Why?!

As a Caps fan, I don't mind it though. Find a way to trade Henrik Lundquist and we should be good to go.

snoopy13a
2010-06-18, 05:07 PM
I just heard it myself:

Jaroslav Halak was traded to St. Louis for the players Eller and Schultz, two good offense players.

:furious: Words can't express how angry I am at the Habs' manager :furious:

My favorite player ist gone. :smallfrown:

I think I understand the logic of the decision. Quite often, a goalie gets on an impresisive playoff run. However, they never quite match that quality ever again. Montreal knows first-hand from the example of Jose Theodore. Thus, it seems that Montreal doesn't think that Halak will continue to play at a very high level so they've decided to trade him while his value is still high.

If Halak ends up as the next Jose Theodore then it'll be a good decision. However, if Halak ends up as the next Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy then it won't.

Lord Loss
2010-06-18, 06:01 PM
I think I understand the logic of the decision. Quite often, a goalie gets on an impresisive playoff run. However, they never quite match that quality ever again. Montreal knows first-hand from the example of Jose Theodore. Thus, it seems that Montreal doesn't think that Halak will continue to play at a very high level so they've decided to trade him while his value is still high.

If Halak ends up as the next Jose Theodore then it'll be a good decision. However, if Halak ends up as the next Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy then it won't.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you here. Trading a player thats doing amazingly in case he stops doing so well? Eh.

Xyk
2010-06-18, 06:10 PM
Here in central texas, my city actually has a hockey team. The Austin Ice Bats.

Nobody follows them.

KilltheToy
2010-06-18, 08:08 PM
Here in central Texas, my city actually has a hockey team. The Austin Ice Bats.

Nobody follows them.

Actually, the Ice Bats were recently replaced by the Texas Stars. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Stars)

Apparently, nobody's noticed :smalltongue:.

SensFan
2010-06-18, 08:57 PM

I'd agree with you. I really would.

Except they got no value for him. 2 prospects, who, from all accounts, aren't destined for fantastic careers.

Xyk
2010-06-18, 09:07 PM
Actually, the Ice Bats were recently replaced by the Texas Stars. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Stars)

Apparently, nobody's noticed :smalltongue:.

NO WAY?! Like I said, nobody follows them.

Walrus
2010-06-18, 09:52 PM
I read about this yesterday, and my first thought was that Pierre Gauthier was attempting to get himself fired as quickly as possible. I recognize that the Habs have a lot of stock invested in Cary Price, what with him being a first round pick, but it's not like he's their only hope. Halak outplayed him handily all throughout last season AND put in a sterling effort for the Slovakians at the Olympics, and Cedric Desjardins seems like he's not too far away from being ready for the NHL.

And what he got back seems like the kind of thing he'd have been able to get for Cary Price.

REALLY glad I'm not a Habs fan, or the amount of rage I'd be experiencing would probably give me an ulcer or something.

skywalker
2010-06-19, 12:51 PM

So far, the Canadiens have done this thrice, and it's worked out in their favor (well, sort of) once. I guess we'll see whether this was a Roy or a Theodore.

Although to be fair to the Canadiens, Roy was a serious attitude problem and had claimed he would never again wear a Canadiens sweater, and Theodore was an attitude problem as well. It's possible Halak was also an attitude issue.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you here. Trading a player thats doing amazingly in case he stops doing so well? Eh.

I don't know what snoopy's trying to say, but the way I read it is this: Theodore had been pretty underwhelming up until that Vezina season. He was a great prospect, but he didn't particularly impress up until then. His stats reflect this. Afterward, instead of his attitude getting better, it got worse. Roy, by contrast, was a superstar with the attitude to go with it. He just had that nasty habit of hitting people when he got angry.

Interesting parallels can be drawn between Theodore and Price, and this might actually be an attempt by Montreal to avoid what happened with Theodore. In spite of poor play, they're sticking with Price, so that they don't get burned paying him big to sit the bench. The point is, Halak put in a stellar showing, but his stats to this point don't indicate that he will remain at that level. This may be the start of a new trend, and the St. Louis Blues will be happy for it if it is, but I think evidence proves that over the long run, you're better off basing your decision on the most likely outcome.

I'm also willing to bet that Halak asked for a much larger contract than his statistics (Olympic and Stanley Cup run and all) would justify.

And what he got back seems like the kind of thing he'd have been able to get for Cary Price.

It is much easier to get value out of someone who has just played above their level (because someone is willing to take a flier on them maybe turning over a new leaf) than it is to get value out of Price.

Lastly, This (http://dailyhab-it.blogspot.com/2010/06/everyone-breathe-deeply.html) is a pretty good assessment, I think.