PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept; worthwhile?

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-17, 08:39 PM
So, I'm really just not grooving with the Beguiler//Factotum 7 I have set up right now and one of my friends suggested something:

Tome of Battle class//Chakra-based Class with Vow of Poverty.

Effectively, you're a ninja that imagines your equipment into existence.

gallagher
2010-06-17, 08:40 PM
if you can keep yourself from going MAD, then it is an interesting concept. i mean, the game is as fun as you can make it, so if you have fun doing it and arent held back by the classes, then go for it!

heck, i played a commoner in a game because he wanted really badly to be a fighter. was it worthwhile? i had alot of fun, and the group loved him, so yes

Zaq
2010-06-17, 08:41 PM
Vow of Poverty is pretty much always a weakening factor, but if anyone shy of a Druid can handle it, it's a meldshaper. I think this could be a lot of fun, as long as your party doesn't have Artificer//Factotums and the like running around.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-17, 08:46 PM
I think a swordsage//Incarnate seems your best bet, swordsage get a lot of movement related abilities (teleport and even flight) which I think that is the primary concern with VoP.

AmberVael
2010-06-17, 08:48 PM
if you can keep yourself from going MAD
Shouldn't be hard, given that all you really need for the incarnum side is Constitution, and who doesn't need Constitution?

Sounds good to me. Vow of Poverty isn't the greatest, but it is kind of nice with a soulmeld user. It's just annoying to try and juggle magic items and soulmelds- Vow of Poverty completely eliminates that, and with Soulmelds, you'll be able to deal with Vow of Poverty. Especially if you've got a good, versatile class on the other side (and hey, that's what ToB is).

My recommendation is to put Incarnate on one side, and your ToB class of choice on the other. Normally, I like Totemist more than Incarnate, but one of its best features is "lots and lots of natural attacks" which doesn't necessarily mesh well with ToB. Incarnate has some good stuff for a melee combatant too (and you could also get some ranged capability too, with the right soulmelds, which would be downright handy for a ToB user).

That said, Totemist still has some great stuff going for it.

Zaq
2010-06-17, 08:50 PM
Shouldn't be hard, given that all you really need for the incarnum side is Constitution, and who doesn't need Constitution?

Sounds good to me. Vow of Poverty isn't the greatest, but it is kind of nice with a soulmeld user. It's just annoying to try and juggle magic items and soulmelds- Vow of Poverty completely eliminates that, and with Soulmelds, you'll be able to deal with Vow of Poverty. Especially if you've got a good, versatile class on the other side (and hey, that's what ToB is).

My recommendation is to put Incarnate on one side, and your ToB class of choice on the other. Normally, I like Totemist more than Incarnate, but one of its best features is "lots and lots of natural attacks" which doesn't necessarily mesh well with ToB. Incarnate has some good stuff for a melee combatant too (and you could also get some ranged capability too, with the right soulmelds, which would be downright handy for a ToB user).

That said, Totemist still has some great stuff going for it.

A fully tricked-out Totemist with some Tiger Claw boosts would be a sight to behold... though I agree with your analysis overall.

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-17, 09:39 PM
Okay, so, let me get this straight:

1. "Soulmelds" are magic items made of imagination and loose souls.

2. "Chakra" is just a fancy word for "Places to wear items"

3. Normally, Soulmelds and Magic Items can peacefully co-exist; you can have a spiffy soul-hat and a spiffy hat of disguise at the same time. However, you can also choose to Bind a soulmeld to a slot, which gives it various bonuses, but means you can't wear anything there.

4. You get so many points of Essentia. Essentia Points are like batteries for soulmelds; you put the Points in and then it gets powered up. You can move the batteries around at no cost as a swift action. Thus, you could invest points into your Soulmeld of Whoosh to go faster, and then once you arrive where you're going, move the points into your Soulmeld of Stab-A-Jerk so you can fight better.

AmberVael
2010-06-17, 09:44 PM
Okay, so, let me get this straight:

1. "Soulmelds" are magic items made of imagination and loose souls.

2. "Chakra" is just a fancy word for "Places to wear items"

3. Normally, Soulmelds and Magic Items can peacefully co-exist; you can have a spiffy soul-hat and a spiffy hat of disguise at the same time. However, you can also choose to Bind a soulmeld to a slot, which gives it various bonuses, but means you can't wear anything there.

4. You get so many points of Essentia. Essentia Points are like batteries for soulmelds; you put the Points in and then it gets powered up. You can move the batteries around at no cost as a swift action. Thus, you could invest points into your Soulmeld of Whoosh to go faster, and then once you arrive where you're going, move the points into your Soulmeld of Stab-A-Jerk so you can fight better.

Yup, you've pretty much got it.
I'd also note that while magic items and non-bound soulmelds can coexist in the same chakra/item slot, you can't have more than one soulmeld in a chakra, whether it is bound or not.

Unless you pick up that one feat.
That's a good feat.

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-17, 09:47 PM
Furthermore:

Soulmelds work like cleric spells; you have access to the full library of them but must choose a handful at the start of the day.

Yes?

EDIT: Except that some melds are available only to some classes, but other than that.