PDA

View Full Version : Little help with an alignment item.

Dracons
2010-06-17, 11:44 PM
Well, once again my players are trying to go with power rather then just story battle.

This is for 3.5 dungeons and dragons

One of their primary villains is a intelligent chaotic sword that use to be a powerful slaad doomlord. He now takes over people's minds and tries to destroy stuff. Long story short, the sword is using a ritiual to summon atropal to slam into the planet. The swords' primary ability is plane shifting, so it plane shifts and waits until a new wielder comes to repeat.

Anyway, after a long quest they found that people knew of that sword and made a blueprints of a legenday sword that should destroy the sword. They finally had someone to craft the powerful sword to destroy that chaos sword, as a +5 Chaos Outsider Bane Axomatic Improved Sunder Adamantie Longsword.

However, seeing as all the players are chaotic neutral (Psion and chosen wielder of sword) and chaotic evil (wizard/cleric/mystic thruge, currently being possed by a demon by choice), they refuse to use the sword compelty. Because of that whole -1 level. Even though its for one. freaking. battle.

I would have done holy, even though the sword isn't technically evil, but that wouldn't have worked really, seeing as the whole time its been prove that the sword is of chaos, and I've been trying forever to have players understand that Chaos isn't just AWESOME DO WHAT I WANT, and that Law isn't just DO WHAT PEOPLE SAY ALL TIME.

So fine. I've figured a side quest to get some kind of gloves that would take away that minus for a battle. Maybe after the battle it is destroyed. But unsure if something like that exists, and if it did, what exactly would the stats be?

Of course if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to here them. Please.

Telonius
2010-06-18, 08:58 AM
Does no one in the party have Use Magic Device? Emulate an Alignment is only DC 30.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-18, 08:59 AM
If they can't suck up trading a level for "one.battle." even if the trade-off is "victory", then let them fail or find their own measures to win. Offering a plot mcguffin just so they can do things their way takes away any illusion of a world that doesn't wait for them.

Chiron0224
2010-06-18, 10:54 AM
Snake has a really good point on this one. Alternatively why is the Chaotic neutral/Chaotic Evil party trying to apose this sword to begin with? What if they joined forces with it and went plane hopping and world smashing to their hearts content? Also I think the sword is Chaotic Evil smashing a world isn't simply chaotic it's downright sinister. But if you go with my world smashing party idea you could change the focus to the party avoiding getting slain by angry paladins.

Dracons
2010-06-18, 03:53 PM
Snake has a really good point on this one. Alternatively why is the Chaotic neutral/Chaotic Evil party trying to apose this sword to begin with? What if they joined forces with it and went plane hopping and world smashing to their hearts content? Also I think the sword is Chaotic Evil smashing a world isn't simply chaotic it's downright sinister. But if you go with my world smashing party idea you could change the focus to the party avoiding getting slain by angry paladins.

Well, the cleric's reason is because he doesn't want his God to die from lack of followers. The neutral one is just mentally insane, not a murderer.

As for the planet smashing, it's not doing it out of malicous hatred, it wants the universe to go back to its beginnings, the utter chaos. No more order. Much like contructs aren't evil for doing it's program, nether is this for doing what it's born to do of bring back the chaos.

I'll likely take Snake Idea though: it is true. They need to suck it up. That whole -1 to attack is more then made up by the total of +7 he'll gain in return against it.