PDA

View Full Version : Best name you have ever heard!

Grimlock
2010-06-18, 07:58 AM
Inspired by this threadhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156580

What is the best name you have heard in real life. I have two (and these are genuine);
1) An old school acquaintance was called Maximillian Secoyah Walker
but the real gem adn THE BEST name ever written down/spoken aloud etc. is one of my ex studens from a few years ago

*ahem*

2) Chevalier Sinbad Wharton-Squirrel!

What kind fo parent calls their child Chevalier? I mean if he'd decied to become a professoinal swashbuckler I could understand it!

So Playground, what names do you like?

Phae Nymna
2010-06-18, 08:25 AM
Archibald Alexander Leach

Love, love, love that man. Pretty much my favorite actor.

YPU
2010-06-18, 08:27 AM
Xavier Wolfs that's X. wolfs. The head of the local universities gaming club.

Jokasti
2010-06-18, 08:30 AM
Bartholomew.
/thread.

Winthur
2010-06-18, 08:41 AM
Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crass Cren Bon Fried Digger Dingle Dangle Dongle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelter Wasser Kurstlich Himble Eisenbahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte einen Nürnburger Bratwürstel Gespurten mit Weimache Luber Hundsfut Gumeraber Schönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittleraucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Dogmantra
2010-06-18, 08:57 AM
Petronella Stallworthy Van Der Acker is pretty close, but I have to give it to Surprise Moriri. His first name is SURPRISE. I CANNOT STRESS HOW GOOD THIS IS.

Dihan
2010-06-18, 09:01 AM
Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7522952.stm) and the rest of them in that link.

aberratio ictus
2010-06-18, 09:02 AM
Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14982_9-manliest-names-in-world.html

Grimlock
2010-06-18, 09:07 AM
Petronella Stallworthy Van Der Acker is pretty close, but I have to give it to Surprise Moriri. His first name is SURPRISE. I CANNOT STRESS HOW GOOD THIS IS.

I've gotta say Suprise is pretty darn cool first name!

Nomrom
2010-06-18, 09:09 AM
When I lived in the Dominican Republic, I met some people with pretty awesome names, but the best was probably the kid who's first name was RonaldReagan. Either him or MichealJordan. Or the kid named Smelly.

J.Gellert
2010-06-18, 09:26 AM
Anastasius Phoebus Komnenus.

Anastasius, from the greek word for Resurrection
Phoebus, the epithet of Apollo
Komnenus, as the dynasy of Byzantine emperors

He's just a baby now, but I hope he doesn't use the diminutive form "Tassos" when he grows up, because it's a sucky name.

SaintRidley
2010-06-18, 09:43 AM
Schweinsteiger is an awesome surname.

aberratio ictus
2010-06-18, 10:18 AM
It is not if you translate it as Pigclimber.

Yrcrazypa
2010-06-18, 10:31 AM
Bruce Campbell is a manly sounding name, and it belongs to a manly man.

YPU
2010-06-18, 10:32 AM
Batman Bin Suparman (http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=5) is up there as well.

Starscream
2010-06-18, 10:43 AM
Met a guy named Chuck Hammers. If he were a foot shorter and had a longer beard, he'd have made an excellent dwarf.

SaintRidley
2010-06-18, 10:56 AM
It is not if you translate it as Pigclimber.

If that's what it means it just makes it hilariously awesome.

Cubey
2010-06-18, 10:59 AM
A special effects technician by the name of Greg Killmaster.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-18, 11:02 AM
Awesome Bill from Dawsonville.

Flame of Anor
2010-06-18, 11:06 AM
Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry.

aberratio ictus
2010-06-18, 11:12 AM
If that's what it means it just makes it hilariously awesome.

It is. Trust me. I speak German.

Yarram
2010-06-18, 11:17 AM
A family of people I met, named:
Sollee (Sully) Stagbeatle Forest,
Wavy Ocean Forest and
Fig Forest

Sully Forest is the most yell-able name in the world.

Other than that, I like what Frank Zappa named his kids:
Kelvinator Refridgerator I changed to Diva
Kelvinator Refridgerator II changed to Dweezil
Kelvinator Refridgerator III changed to Moon Unit
pardon me if I mixed the order up. I'm too lazy to google.

Dweezil is a freaking awesome name.

Dogmantra
2010-06-18, 11:24 AM
Kenesaw Mountain Landis is a pretty sweet name too.

Em Blackleaf
2010-06-18, 05:07 PM
Dusty Rockland. He was a friend of my parents and a former CIA agent/spy.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-18, 05:23 PM

On a related note, General Charles H. Bonesteel III. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Bonesteel_III)

Jinura
2010-06-18, 05:36 PM

Damn I was gonna take that one! :smallannoyed:

WalkingTarget
2010-06-18, 05:57 PM
There was a guy in my graduation ceremony in college named Shiv Shanker (or maybe Shankar, either way).

Salbazier
2010-06-18, 06:32 PM
Delta Epsilon Stigma. Not it is not a typo. At least not by me I just found out stigma is really a greek letter

Diva De
2010-06-18, 07:19 PM
A friend whose mom was a maternity nurse SWEARS she had twins born in her unit named Orangejello (O-ran-gelo) and Lemonjello (Le-mon-gelo). I went to high school with a girl whose name was Passion Cherry. There is a local author whose name is Mignon (pronounced pheonetically - mig-non). And I have a friend who is a substitute teacher who had a class with twins - Sh*thead (shi-theed) and Sh*tonya (She-tone-ya).

I vote people learn how to read before they have children.

RandomNPC
2010-06-18, 09:12 PM
wow, a lot of people thought of Max Fightmaster before me....

I don't feel the need to put my last name online, but it's Italian for Assassin.

And that kind of sucks, I can't go to Italy without being looked at funny when I introduce myself. A fun part was when the kids at school figured it out, and decied to test me on it, Apparently it's subtitled in the movie the godfather 3. I know enough about pressure points to put a guy down for a minuet, but if any of his friends would have tried to save him they likely would have.

Nefarion Xid
2010-06-18, 10:06 PM
Friendly Local Game Shop owner's name is "Hatter, The Mad"...legally. Although, his given name is pretty sweet too. He ran for mayor a few years back.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-06-18, 10:11 PM
Daniel Macadangdang. Pronounced just like it's spelled.

Zeb The Troll
2010-06-19, 02:02 AM
A friend whose mom was a maternity nurse SWEARS she had twins born in her unit named Orangejello (O-ran-gelo) and Lemonjello (Le-mon-gelo).I've told this story myself, here on these forums, about a friend of mine who had child clients with these names. I'm left to wonder if a) I misunderstood her story and she was just retelling it, or b) the tale has gotten so well known that people are actually now naming their kids this way on purpose.

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Doran_Liadon
2010-06-19, 02:32 AM
Maximus Altitude

coreline
2010-06-19, 03:39 AM
I found Badstuber is unique. He's my friend's boyfriend. I saw him on her photo painting (http://paintedsouvenirs.com).

Xuc Xac
2010-06-19, 03:50 AM
Amon Göth was a Nazi in the SS "Death's Head" and you couldn't make up a more F-ing Metal name.

RandomNPC
2010-06-19, 03:57 AM
Amon Göth was a Nazi in the SS "Death's Head" and you couldn't make up a more F-ing Metal name.

I first read that as "Among the Goths" and was confused whe I didn't see a name, then I re-read it slower.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2010-06-19, 04:29 AM
Local TV journalist Tak Landrock. (I recall reading somewhere that Tak is short for something Japanese - Takeshi or the like.)

Also saw a girl in my sister-in-law's high school graduation program named Lovely Jones, and the student body president was some girl called Desiree, AKA Dez the Prez. That high school was chock full of cool names, apparently.

Pokonic
2010-06-19, 09:12 AM
I had a kid in my class named Storm Mcloud.:smallbiggrin:

Ormagoden
2010-06-19, 10:15 AM
Sing sang song

Grimlock
2010-06-19, 11:29 AM
I've just thought of a few more.
My dad used to work with a guy called Hyler Breeze- which is cool!
and
A friend used to teach a kid called Stormstar Jackson

Thufir
2010-06-19, 11:37 AM
Reginald Spofforth.

Zovc
2010-06-19, 11:51 AM
My friend Blake named his son Loki. I thought that was pretty awesome.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-19, 09:31 PM
Well, I work at U-HAUL. I have to see plenty of names as I take license info for rentals.

The one that pops into my head first was an 80 year old man named Isreal Fireman.

Yeah. That was his real name. It was on his license.

UserClone
2010-06-21, 12:09 PM
Hm... I seem to know several. Let's see:

A buddy named Rusty Flounders.

Former customers Kingthong Vongphoumy and Henrietta Asswad.

My buddy Eddie Miller's big brother's name is (I'll just try and spell it phonetically) Akashumbatwa Nut'ngwalaleleewanika Miller. He's just called Lee. :smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2010-06-21, 10:25 PM
I have one, mainly because it sounds exotic and inspired by WoW and the SCA combined!

Leora Meliawyn ________ (Can't remember the last name.)

DarkLightDragon
2010-06-22, 06:42 AM
Stormhammer Deathclaw Firebrand (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-renames-himself-stormhammer-deathclaw-firebrand/story-e6frfku0-1225865460788)

Dogmantra
2010-06-22, 06:44 AM
Kristen Shirts is one I like a lot. Not for the forename, but for the fact one Shirt in her surname wasn't good enough. Her surname is Shirts, plural. Why was I not informed you can have plural surnames before this?

Spiryt
2010-06-22, 06:56 AM
Stormhammer Deathclaw Firebrand (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-renames-himself-stormhammer-deathclaw-firebrand/story-e6frfku0-1225865460788)

Lol, and I thought that "War Machine" was idiotic...:smallbiggrin:

CWater
2010-06-22, 07:15 AM
In a class my mom teached a while back, there was these brothers Voltti and Watti.
voltti=volt
watti=watt
Their little sister is named Kelvin.
...Their father is an electrician.:smallbiggrin:

And there was one other girl called Miina Kenttä.
miina=mine
kenttä=field
Poor child...

Malfunctioned
2010-06-22, 07:27 AM
I have cousin who has the name Maksimilian Baronofsky.

I wish I shared my typical Russian names that most of my family has.

DarkLightDragon
2010-06-22, 07:48 AM
In a class my mom teached a while back, there was these brothers Voltti and Watti.
voltti=volt
watti=watt

miina=mine
kenttä=field
Poor child...

:smallbiggrin:

Grimlock
2010-06-22, 07:52 AM
voltti=volt
watti=watt

miina=mine
kenttä=field
Poor child...
Ha!:smallbiggrin:
My brother had a Maths teacher called Mr McMath.

Coplantor
2010-06-22, 08:23 AM
Well, when I did social work I met a Maikol jordan and an Anakin. On a not so recent newspaper article, a lady who works at the civil registry office told of some of the strangest names she was exposed to, the gold medal goes to a girl called "Gansos Rosados", that's spanish for Pink Geese, wich, apparently, was what her parents though that Guns'n Roses meant.

Poor, poor girl.

Brainstomper
2010-06-22, 09:34 AM
In junior high I went to School with Frosty Music and his sister Sweet Sweet. They hated thier parents.

monomer
2010-06-22, 11:34 AM
There was an old Ukrainian sausage-maker in my hometown by the name of Xenon Dragan.

Eldan
2010-06-22, 12:04 PM
My father studied Law and Economy a while back and was handed a book by a professor called Theo Ghul. Ghul, of course, being the german way to spell "ghoul".

MartytheBioGuy
2010-06-22, 12:37 PM
There was a 4-year-old girl in the Vacation Bible School that I ran last week, who was, no joke, named Scarlet Battles. Hard. Core.

Castaras
2010-06-22, 02:52 PM
Powerstation.

Amusing female name.

MrTBOBBY
2010-06-22, 03:17 PM
My dad knew a girl named Candy Store.

GolemsVoice
2010-06-22, 03:27 PM
I find movie credits to be an endless source of cool names. It's like the coolness that goes on on the screen is transfered into the names of those who can't be on the screen, so they are cool, too.

One of my favourites was Johnny Dark. Simple and elegant.

Mercenary Pen
2010-06-22, 05:04 PM
I find movie credits to be an endless source of cool names. It's like the coolness that goes on on the screen is transfered into the names of those who can't be on the screen, so they are cool, too.

One of my favourites was Johnny Dark. Simple and elegant.

Although, in that case, it could just be a stage name- on the grounds that actors don't find it convenient to share some ordinary name with someone else- on the grounds that getting mentioned in the credits for their work is a key reward of their job. You don't want every other Joe Smith taking credit for the acting jobs you did.

DarkLightDragon
2010-06-22, 11:04 PM
Although, in that case, it could just be a stage name- on the grounds that actors don't find it convenient to share some ordinary name with someone else- on the grounds that getting mentioned in the credits for their work is a key reward of their job. You don't want every other Joe Smith taking credit for the acting jobs you did.

Makes sense, but still cool. :smalltongue:

The Demented One
2010-06-22, 11:13 PM
Doctor Spiridion Papapetropolis. Bitch.

GolemsVoice
2010-06-23, 12:04 AM

It wasn't an actor, it was one of the crew, those that stay BEHIND the camera. I cannot remember what exactly he did, though.

ninjalemur
2010-06-23, 03:18 AM
A friend whose mom was a maternity nurse SWEARS she had twins born in her unit named Orangejello (O-ran-gelo) and Lemonjello (Le-mon-gelo).

Where did this friends mom live? When my dad was growing up in New York he went to Sunday school with twins named Orangejello and Lemonjello.

My mom knew someone in High School named William William William III.

Jokasti
2010-06-23, 03:19 AM
I've heard of the Jello's before. I do not think it is as uncommon as people wish.

paddyfool
2010-06-23, 03:39 AM
There was a fine section in Freakonomics about the power of names.

It included the story of two brothers. The older of the two was called Winner. The younger, well, take a guess. The outcome for their lives?

"Winner" became a petty criminal going in and out of prison. "Loser" became a policeman. Apparently he was quite amused by how people would often mispronounce his name, because they assumed it had to be foreign, and mean something different.

Teddy
2010-06-23, 06:19 AM
Apparently he was quite amused by how people would often mispronounce his name, because they assumed it had to be foreign, and mean something different.

And you don't want to offend people by pronounciating their name in a way that sounds insulting. One of my friends went in the same class as a boy named Baize, which was pronounciated the same way as the Swedish word "bajs", which translates directly into "poop". Poor boy, and poor teacher who had to try to pronounciate it without insulting.

Quincunx
2010-06-23, 06:51 AM
. . .you have no idea how many puns you just clarified. I'm getting hit with all of them at once. Ow. Ow. Ow. (There's not a problem with the name if you pronounce a 'z' differently than an 's', but now that you point that out, I'm not sure I met many Swedes that did.)

The children a few years older than me, in the little pocket of aspirational naming where I was born, had a habit of being named after thinkers, philanthropists, and respected folk who had no idea the kids were alive, all shoehorned around the existing families' surnames by contorting spelling and name order. It was. . .odd, every few years learning about some new luminary whose name was almost, but not quite, familiar (and then reconciling that respected reputation with the jerk I knew).

Teddy
2010-06-23, 08:07 AM
. . .you have no idea how many puns you just clarified. I'm getting hit with all of them at once. Ow. Ow. Ow. (There's not a problem with the name if you pronounce a 'z' differently than an 's', but now that you point that out, I'm not sure I met many Swedes that did.)

Well, z is pronounciated the same way as s most of the time, here in Sweden, but even if you pronounciate it in any of the other ways I can think of, the result still comes out as too similar. And the worst part was that it actually should be pronounciated as an s in that case, and nothing else.

And I guess that you've heard more puns that play on this particular word...? Well, I can say that there are some who think that this is very funny. :smallsigh: And, for the record, "Skit på dig!" is not a Swedish greeting, despite what people say.

...Especially if said people are Norwegians.

Ikialev
2010-06-23, 12:47 PM
Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvim John Kenneth Loyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor Willian Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffvoralternwareng ewissenhaftschaferswesenchafewarenwholgepflegeunds orgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvonangereifenduchihrraubgir iigfeindewelchevorralternzwolftausendjahresvorandi eerscheinenbanderersteerdeemmeshedrraumschiffgebra uchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefah rthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchenachdiestern welshegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwo hinderneurassevanverstandigmenshlichkeittkonntevor tpflanzenundsicherfreunanlebenslamdlichfreudeundru hemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvonandererintlligen tgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum.

It probably means something.

Flarowon
2010-06-23, 06:06 PM
Pockets Ned
Not Ned Pockets, but honest-to-god Pockets Ned.

And in the same class at school, Daniel Deathrage.

Gem Flower
2010-06-23, 06:20 PM
Squishy Kirkland. Coolest seven-year-old I know.:smallcool:

Graymayre
2010-06-24, 01:47 AM
If you don't count the completely unfairly named "Sgt. Max Fightmaster" then the best one I have heard was "William L. Manly"

That last name is just ridiculous, and has a lake named after it. That lake is now a manly desert called manly Death Valley.

Superglucose
2010-06-24, 01:50 AM
Soraya and Layli. I have a thing for farsi names.

Grimlock
2010-06-24, 03:26 AM
Daniel Deathrage.

This is a great name!

Asta Kask
2010-06-24, 03:38 AM
Phillippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus).

The use of the word 'bombastic' stems from this man's writings. A sample:

I am Theophrastus, and greater than those to whom you liken me; I am Theophrastus, and in addition I am monarcha medicorum and I can prove to you what you cannot prove...I need not don a coat of mail or a buckler against you, for you are not learned or experienced enough to refute even a word of mine...As for you, you can defend your kingdom with belly-crawling and flattery. How long do you think this will last?...Let me tell you this: every little hair on my neck knows more than you and all your scribes, and my shoe buckles are more learned than your Galen and Avicenna, and my beard has more experience than all your high colleges.

That's confidence!

The Valiant Turtle
2010-06-24, 12:23 PM
I went to High School with a girl whose given name was Velvet Lipps. She went by Dawn. Her little sister's name was Kissy. Strange parents are strange.

ForzaFiori
2010-06-24, 12:35 PM
Kristen Shirts is one I like a lot. Not for the forename, but for the fact one Shirt in her surname wasn't good enough. Her surname is Shirts, plural. Why was I not informed you can have plural surnames before this?

My surname is plural. It's Italian for "flowers"

Two awesome names:
I went to school with a kid named Kyle Kjielgard (pronounced Kill Guard). I probably spelled it wrong though.

Also, there is a guy on the History channel that is interviewed for alot of WWII stuff, who left the service as a Sargent. His last name was Slaughter. So he's now Sargent Slaughter. Would have been cooler if he made Major or General, but still awesome.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-24, 12:58 PM
Beowolf "Wolfie" LéBlanc
one of my friends uncle is called this :smalltongue:

Spiryt
2010-06-24, 01:05 PM
Time to introduce our boy, War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Machine_(fighter)), although IMO this belongs to "worst name you ever heard" thread. :smalltongue:

Kris Strife
2010-06-24, 04:13 PM
A friend whose mom was a maternity nurse SWEARS she had twins born in her unit named Orangejello (O-ran-gelo) and Lemonjello (Le-mon-gelo).

I think I went to high school with these two.

Mauther
2010-06-24, 04:42 PM
in elementary school there was a kid whose first name was pronounced "pa dju' mus", it was of course spelled: Pajamas. Pajamas Jones, supposedly his mother read it in a catalog and thought the it sounded pretty. I think he went on to play football in highschool. I like to think of that name being broadcast on the loudspeakers to a thousand cheering fans. "Pajamas Jones with the touchdown!"

Lady in my office birthed an abomination, named it Jewlz Monet (pronounced Jewels Money) God I hate my coworkers. I have some coworkers in India named Fansi Pant, and Prik****. We have monitoring software that searches phone calls for cursing or inappropriate language and any conversation with him sets off all kinds of alarms.

Went to school with an April Showers, played high school sports with Ememe Emejoule, had the inevitable imigrant from Vietnam named Phouc Tran (pronounced, well you got it) leading to the inevitable yelling on the playground "F**k Tran just catch the ball". Coached three brothers named Hunter, Scout, and Ranger.

Superglucose
2010-06-24, 04:47 PM
it's only great when you include all of her titles. This is one of my character's court-names, how she was introduced in court.

Princess Ialana, King of the Goblins, Heir to the Barony of Hohenheim, fourth daughter of the King Andritt the 38th, and Vice-Governor of the Southern Province.

I always forget about the Vice-Governor...

Anyways it was a character who collected titles, and she was working on becoming the Goblin Queen as well as the Goblin King.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-24, 04:52 PM
Maxamilian Von Urah Graf Von Wuttemburg- love that name, never actually spoke to the guy but i saw him once or twice... I think

Rutskarn
2010-06-24, 04:56 PM
Somebody here's name translates to "Industrious." Curly? Anyway, I thought that was pretty damn cool, especially since most girl's names are stuff like chastity and prudence and prettyflower and whatnot.

Ormur
2010-06-24, 11:01 PM
Nothing really exotic but the name Heston Blumenthal is just so fitting for a chef.

Eldan
2010-06-25, 05:12 AM
Why? I fail to see the connections between either valleys or flowers and cooking.

Teddy
2010-06-25, 06:03 AM
I went in the same class as a boy with the surename Klein, and now I'm in the same class as two twins with the surename Piccolo. These are the German and Italian words for "small", and it has been true in all three cases.

rakkoon
2010-06-25, 07:59 AM
Alfred J. Fluffy
A friend of mine uses it as an online alias.

Also as a child I wanted two children: Alexandre (french version) and Miriam.

I got two kids, both of them have different names :smallamused:

Wookieetank
2010-06-25, 08:45 AM
L-A (pronounced Ladasha) :smalleek:

Also:
Dr. Dangle
and
Dr. Parsley

My work is quite interesting some days :smallamused:

Dogmantra
2010-06-25, 08:50 AM
There are apparently several American GPs named Dr Doctor and one or two named Dr Surgeon. There is also apparently an anaesthetist called Dr Gass and a psychiatrist named Dr Couch.

WalkingTarget
2010-06-25, 10:50 AM
Thought of a few more:

Was out shopping at one point, a woman called over to her three young daughters to catch up. The names she called? Portia, Mercedes, and Lexis (I'm guessing on the spelling, but still).

Two friends: one has uncles Thomas, Richard, and Harry. Another has uncles Thomas, Richard, and an aunt Harriet.

cattoy
2010-06-25, 05:19 PM
Richard 'D-I-C-K' Trickle. A retired NASCAR driver.

Edge
2010-06-25, 05:41 PM
Dunno if this is the guy's real name or not, and I imagine it can't be, but there's a friend of a friend of mine on facebook whose listed name is Ornlu Wolfjarl.

RandomNPC
2010-06-25, 05:52 PM
There are apparently several American GPs named Dr Doctor and one or two named Dr Surgeon. There is also apparently an anaesthetist called Dr Gass and a psychiatrist named Dr Couch.

I've heard about that, If you're named after a professional occupation you're more likely to get that kind of job. There's lots of smiths that work with metals and the like.

super dark33
2010-06-25, 05:53 PM
O-chul is the best name ever

Shas aia Toriia
2010-06-25, 07:53 PM
I know a guy with the last name Bates.

Think about his name, as a young boy, in which one of the appropriate titles is "Master". For those who don't get it, it sounds like masturbates.

Brendan
2010-06-25, 09:58 PM
My dad went to school with a girl named:
Crystal Chanda Lear
Her parents had a "sense of humor" (read: sadistic personality)

Em Blackleaf
2010-06-25, 11:05 PM
My dad went to school with a girl named:
Crystal Chanda Lear
Her parents had a "sense of humor" (read: sadistic personality)
That reminds me- I know a girl named Amanda Lynn. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-25, 11:07 PM
There are apparently several American GPs named Dr Doctor and one or two named Dr Surgeon.

Aren't surgeons called "Mister" instead of "Doctor"?

EDIT: I am aware that they are physicians, not surgeons, but still... Doctor Surgeon just sounds weird.

Iruka
2010-06-26, 05:43 AM
Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvim John Kenneth Loyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor Willian Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffvoralternwareng ewissenhaftschaferswesenchafewarenwholgepflegeunds orgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvonangereifenduchihrraubgir iigfeindewelchevorralternzwolftausendjahresvorandi eerscheinenbanderersteerdeemmeshedrraumschiffgebra uchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefah rthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchenachdiestern welshegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwo hinderneurassevanverstandigmenshlichkeittkonntevor tpflanzenundsicherfreunanlebenslamdlichfreudeundru hemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvonandererintlligen tgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum.

It probably means something.

I think there are some horribly mangled german sentences in there, but I have trouble sorting them out. Where did you find that?

Probably not the best name ever, but I think Owl Goingback is pretty awesome.

Fay Graydon
2010-06-26, 06:39 AM
Just remembered someone I knew (sort of) at high school...
Richard Head...
How cruel or drunk must his parents have been to name him Richard when their surname was HEAD! D=
I feel sorry for the poor boy :smalltongue:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-26, 08:17 PM
One of my math teacher's name was Wisty. Her sister was Brandy, and their brother was Jack.

I sense a common theme there...

Shas aia Toriia
2010-06-26, 08:19 PM
Aren't surgeons called "Mister" instead of "Doctor"?

EDIT: I am aware that they are physicians, not surgeons, but still... Doctor Surgeon just sounds weird.

Doctor and Surgeon would be their last names, with Dr. being the title.

Faceist
2010-06-26, 08:37 PM
I've got a friend named Marcus Abraham Samuel Hall. His parents must've known what they were doing. I haven't run into any of those "Lance Heroington" style names in real life, though. :smallfrown:

nerd-7i+e
2010-06-26, 08:58 PM

Think about his name, as a young boy, in which one of the appropriate titles is "Master". For those who don't get it, it sounds like masturbates.

I went to camp last year with someone who did, in fact, have that last name. And yes, some kids did call him "The Master."

My uncle had a student named Female (pronounced feh-mall-ay). Her parents (I suppose they were foreign) couldn't decide on a name when they saw the birth certificate, which, in the absence of their decision, simply said "female."

And my initials are BS. Literally and figuratively.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-26, 09:10 PM
Starhawk. One word. That's her entire name, and she's no superhero (http://www.figurerealm.com/Customs/19000/18944-1.jpg). She's a writer (http://www.timeforourpower.com/images/starhawk.jpg).
-Xavez

Gorgondantess
2010-06-26, 09:19 PM
Oh, lessee.
First, there's Buford DeMille.

And then I know of a pilot named Buck Maxim. Real name. And he's a pilot.

ForzaFiori
2010-06-26, 09:32 PM
A friend of mine and his father are named Alex and Mark Leaf, respectively. This wouldn't normally be funny, except for some rather odd coincidences. Firstly, no one in their family is over 5'4" tall, and they live on Short Leaf Road. Second, Mr. Leaf is in the US Navy, and is a Chief Petty Officer. Making him Chief Leaf. In another odd coincidence, without ever knowing anything about his dad, several people at school, including myself, nicknamed Alex "Chief Leaf".

Eldan
2010-06-27, 07:27 PM
Just found in a cracked article:

Titan Leeds, a rival of Ben Franklin.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-27, 11:48 PM
A guy came into my work today to rent a truck.

The name on his license?

Danny Ex.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-06-28, 01:03 AM
I doubt it was his real name, but a guy who used to teach at my local community college was called Colonel Wingnut. Also, there's a Frodo Baggins in our local phonebook.

Meanwhile, in the land of fiction... Chet Awesome-Laser. Thank you, Scott Kurtz.

If I have kids, it would be hard to resist the temptation to name my son The Doctor. My daughter, however, I would simply name Max, because that's probably my favorite name for a girl.

Occasional Sage
2010-06-28, 01:06 AM
Thor Conan Alpha. I've met him; as memory serves he's around 5'2" and 120# right out of the shower.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-06-28, 01:07 AM
Thor Conan Alpha. I've met him; as memory serves he's around 5'2" and 120# right out of the shower.

You have just won the thread.

Faceist
2010-06-28, 01:09 AM
Yeah, that one's going to be difficult to top. His size just makes it all the more incongruous. :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2010-06-28, 01:37 AM
Yeah, that one's going to be difficult to top. His size just makes it all the more incongruous. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'....

Why do you think he's stuck in my head for several years?

altruist
2010-06-29, 02:52 PM
My surname is plural. It's Italian for "flowers"

Two awesome names:
I went to school with a kid named Kyle Kjielgard (pronounced Kill Guard). I probably spelled it wrong though.

Also, there is a guy on the History channel that is interviewed for alot of WWII stuff, who left the service as a Sargent. His last name was Slaughter. So he's now Sargent Slaughter. Would have been cooler if he made Major or General, but still awesome.

I don't know if English is your first language, but "Sargent" was Maria Shriver's father. Sergeant is the way to spell the rank, and it's *nowhere close* to Major or General.

PanNarrans
2010-06-29, 03:03 PM
I know a guy called Dominic De'Ath.

SDF
2010-06-29, 03:07 PM
I have a friend named Hugh Morris. His parents always liked his sister better...

My endocrinologist friend once swore to me that he knows a urologist named Wellington Hung who actually goes by the nickname well. I told him I didn't believe it, and he reassured me it was true telling me to google search it. I said there was no way I was google searching Well Hung and what is wrong with him, he is a doctor.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-30, 02:00 AM
My mom has seen several Dr. Payne's and Dr. Hertz's.

cho_j
2010-07-04, 11:52 AM
I can't come up with the BEST name I've heard, especially since Max Fightmaster is already on the thread... but for sure the WORST name comes to us courtesy of my English teacher's old acquaintance: Aphrodite Chuckass. I mean... come on, Mr. and Mrs. Chuckass! That's the point when you pass on the mother's name.

Dogmantra
2010-07-04, 11:58 AM
I mean... come on, Mr. and Mrs. Chuckass! That's the point when you pass on the mother's name.

Hey, Mr and Mrs Chuckass had good taste. They called their daughter Aphrodite. That's a super cool name.

Amiel
2010-07-05, 04:48 AM
Max Power definitely ranks among the finest names ever; that one's name is tied to one's profession is true, so there'll be a X. Bath (plumber), Baker (who works in a bakery), Miller (who works with flour) et al.

Also, Yo'mum Wassup :smallconfused: W.T.F?

KuReshtin
2010-07-05, 08:36 AM
Apparently in New Zealand, there's a kid walking around with the name:

Number 16 Bus Shelter

Site of conception, perhaps?

In Sweden, a couple tried to name their son 'Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssql-bb111163' (pronounced: Albin) but were rejected.

Dogmantra
2010-07-05, 09:38 AM
In Sweden, a couple tried to name their son 'Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssql-bb111163' (pronounced: Albin) but were rejected.

Did they not then go on to try to call him "a", also pronounced Albin?

leper0messiah
2010-07-05, 06:29 PM
the best name I've ever heard was actually a name I made up and isn't a name but a latin word
Casurus (meaning: to fall, or overthrow)
of course it would be shortened to Cas if ever used...something about that word screamed name to me though:smalltongue:

my friend also likes this name he read in a book...Slater, pretty BA to.

And while on topic of fictional names I just wanna thorw in Mal'akh from Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol...cool name, 'specially if you know where it came from

Cogwheel
2010-07-06, 12:10 AM
I know someone named Siegfried Steinbach.

Funny how I find the exact same name in X-COM a few weeks later.

Coidzor
2010-07-06, 12:17 AM
I know someone named Siegfried Steinbach.

Funny how I find the exact same name in X-COM a few weeks later.

how horribly did he die?

randman22222
2010-07-06, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm close friends with Andrew Jackson. :smalltongue:

Lawless III
2010-07-06, 05:54 AM
My grandfather's last name is Sergeant, he goes by Sarge. I understand the nickname probably comes from his last name, but I still like to think of him going by Sarge Sergeant. Also my grandmother on the otherside had the maiden name of Popadogeanis which is pretty awesome.

Coolest name of anyone I know has to be Alex Alexiathis.

Charity
2010-07-06, 04:50 PM
Well I went to uni with a guy called Kaiser Khan... his name translates to King King, his daddy dint raise no shinking violet.

I once got a letter at work with my name (incorrectly I feel I ought to point out) written as Jimmy Jacuzzi... took a while for that nic-name to pass.

Grimlock
2010-07-06, 11:25 PM
Aaaaand, I've just remembered another one!
A friend has a work colleague called Wayne Bruce....of course nick-named Man Bat!

Inhuman Bot
2010-07-06, 11:29 PM
Awesome McCoolname (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle73be69nd). :smalltongue:

Irenaeus
2010-07-12, 07:09 AM

http://www.cracked.com/article_14982_9-manliest-names-in-world.htmlFrom that same list, my favorite is **** Pound.

His book "Inside the Olympics" is good stuff.

http://www.aquaticsintl.com/enewsletter/2009/10/10review.jpg

Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern Schplenden Schlitter Crass Cren Bon Fried Digger Dingle Dangle Dongle Dungle Burstein von Knacker Thrasher Apple Banger Horowitz Ticolensic Grander Knotty Spelltinkle Grandlich Grumblemeyer Spelter Wasser Kurstlich Himble Eisenbahnwagen Gutenabend Bitte einen Nürnburger Bratwürstel Gespurten mit Weimache Luber Hundsfut Gumeraber Schönendanker Kalbsfleisch Mittleraucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.Ten points.

AslanCross
2010-07-12, 11:55 PM

I had a classmate whose surname was "Bate" (though it was pronounced "Bah-teh"). The first time one of our teachers called the roll, he called us each "Master." When the teacher got to him, he had a puzzled look on his face for a while and just went. ".......Bate?"

Mr. Moon
2010-07-13, 02:32 AM
So, one day, I'm walking through my school, headed to my locker. All of a sudden, over the speakers, I hear:

"Starr Faux, please come to the office. Starr Faux, to the office."

I'm not sure if I spelt it correctly, but it's pronounced... Well, you can figure it out.

Suffice to say, it made me very happy.

Rutskarn
2010-07-13, 02:42 AM
Oh yeah, my name is

Adam Ellsworth DeCamp.

Nothing absurdly awesome, but good in a poncy aristocrat sort of way.

Decoy Lockbox
2010-07-16, 01:43 AM
Back when I worked for the army, the staff sergeant at our base was a very serious-looking man by the name of, I kid you not, "Enoch Godbolt".

Now, if that isn't a great name for a D&D cleric/paladin, I wanna hear one that is!

Friend of mine who was in the navy (no jokes!) told me about an unfortunate woman by the surname of "Guzzler". It seems this poor woman had attained the rank of...well...you can probably figure this one out for yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaman). The worst part was, she worked answering phones, and every time she picked one up, she had to identify herself rank first, then surname. Hilarity ensued....

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-16, 01:48 AM

I had a classmate whose surname was "Bate" (though it was pronounced "Bah-teh"). The first time one of our teachers called the roll, he called us each "Master." When the teacher got to him, he had a puzzled look on his face for a while and just went. ".......Bate?"This was a gag in a very popular Richard Pryor movie called "The Toy". I recommend checking it out. :smallcool:

Brewdude
2010-07-16, 04:03 AM
There was always that horse named

Hoof Hearted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqj2hkbDnyM)

Terry576
2010-07-16, 04:18 AM
A friend of my Dad's last name was "Who".

He was a doctor.

He was Doctor f@#$ing Who.

StreetPizza
2010-07-16, 07:00 AM
Turkish politician Suleyman Demirel. That approximately translates to Solomon Ironfist. His fist, it is made of iron.

Dogmantra
2010-07-16, 07:22 AM
A friend of my Dad's last name was "Who".

He was a doctor.

He was Doctor f@#$ing Who.

Aaaaaand we have a winner! Thanks for playing everyone!

GrlumpTheElder
2010-07-16, 07:32 AM
I work at an opticians, and one of the patients is a Dr. Pain. There's also a Lance Power (I believe the Lance may be short for Lancelot!)

Terry576
2010-07-16, 09:58 AM
Aaaaaand we have a winner! Thanks for playing everyone!

It is kind of hard to beat Doctor Who.

I'd marry that man, just so my last name would be "Who".

Or possibly that 17 year-old daughter he kept ranting about. :smallconfused:

He kinda stopped talking to me after I demanded him to show me his Sonic Screwdriver.

Ostien
2010-07-16, 02:46 PM
Jumping in for anyone interested.

Just plain odd names/spellings/first name last name combos:
Desert Johanna Beaver - is up there as far bad names I have heard go.

Xenophilius is another one. I know it is a name that has been used before just seems out of place/time.

Musiq (pronounced like Music).

Unique Love - Perhaps it could be just good advertising...

Crystal Cherry - Good if you trying to make them a stripper I guess?

Crystal Palm - Not to be confused with a Quivering Palm...

Socrates (made all the better with them being a bio major. I just feel bad when they have to take a PHIL101 class for the gen ed requirements. "What does Socrates think of this?" *class turns to that student* )

Tempest - a superhero obviously

Jaymee, Sammantha, Alixzandria, Margeaux (Margo) - kinda sums up a lot of the variant spellings that have made me go :smallconfused:

Stupidly awesome:
Reginald Browncow (I cannot describe the silly awesome. If anyone has played Jade Empire it reminds me of Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard, voiced by none other then John Cleese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cleese))

Just plain awesome:
Dominica Jones (Sounds like a film noir detective name to me)

Monika Maniak (Should form a band: Monica and the Maniaks, featuring Monica Maniak)

There are more written down somewhere that my partner has cataloged (They work at a university and some of the names that they come across), those are just a few that stuck out from talking to them or ones I have heard elsewhere.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-16, 02:47 PM
THe best name I've heard is "Bob Sloppadonnapopavich"

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 03:42 PM
A good friend of mine's little brother is dating a girl named, I swear on my life, "Justice Hammers." It's surnames like that that make me consider taking on a potential wife's maiden name.

Alindo
2010-07-16, 05:05 PM

I actually have a problem with Max Fightmaster :) I had a friend in primary school who was actually named Max Headroom Smith.

Malfunctioned
2010-07-16, 06:03 PM
If we can count fictional names as well then we also have my friend's Traveller character. He was a scientist that did so much science and stayed cooped up in his lab so much that he forgot his own name. So he renamed himself.
PROFESSOR DOCTAR SCIENCE PHD.

Yes the misspelling is correct.

Of course we later fleshed out his homeworld and his culture resulting in the fact that every person on that planet was named after something either they or an ancestor was particularly good at. This lead to creation of the character Dr. Nigel Bloodydeath Jr, a physician from a long line of ruthless mercenaries.

Yora
2010-07-16, 06:09 PM
I join the Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster crowd.

And it's not just "Max Fightmaster". Staff Sergeant are his first and second name, Max is just his third.

Teutonic Knight
2010-07-16, 09:07 PM
My brother has a guy in his school with the first name Kung. I saw in movie credits that a guy had the last name Fu.

So theoretically, someone could be named Kung Fu.

Wreckingrocc
2010-07-17, 01:33 PM
My uncle's good friend, Harold Richard Head. He goes by "Rick". The connotations of his name have never come up in conversation.

lostsole31
2010-11-05, 02:42 AM
Hm... I seem to know several. Let's see:

A buddy named Rusty Flounders.Awwww, that's sweet! Thanks, Joe!

- Rusty Flounders

Zeb The Troll
2010-11-05, 04:51 AM
Troll Patrol: Time to put this one to rest, folks.