PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster/Divine Caster How to pull it off.

Escheton
2010-06-18, 09:45 AM
There is a prestigeclass that gives shadowcaster/arcane progression.
No such class in ToM for the divine though. Can mystic theurge do that or does Shadowcasting not count as arcane spellcasting?

In other words, how does one make a shadowcasting healer work?

Ernir
2010-06-18, 09:51 AM
Mystic Theurge is specifically allowed to advance Shadowcasting.

Optimal entry is probably Shadowcaster/Ur-Priest (Book of Vile Darkness and Complete Divine).

Maho-Tsukai
2010-06-18, 10:07 AM
It can be done with Mystic Theurge, but if you do this you will be horridly MAD unless you chose archivist or shugenja as your divine caster. Most divine casters have wisdom as a casting stat, and shadowcasters have not one, but two casting stats, which are intelligence and charisma. So unless you use archivist or shugenja as your divine class, you will have to deal with having quite a bit of MAD, seeing as you would need both intelligence, wisdom and charisma. However, I'm not ruling against taking a wis based class. I know some people don't mind MAD as much as I do and if a wis based caster class fits your character concept better, by all means use it. After all, the most important thing is that you have a character you like and have fun playing. However, just be warned that if you don't get good rolls or use a low-mid point buy you may find the MAD quite crippling to your character.

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 10:29 AM
It can be done with Mystic Theurge, but if you do this you will be horridly MAD unless you chose archivist or shugenja as your divine caster. Most divine casters have wisdom as a casting stat, and shadowcasters have not one, but two casting stats, which are intelligence and charisma. So unless you use archivist or shugenja as your divine class, you will have to deal with having quite a bit of MAD, seeing as you would need both intelligence, wisdom and charisma. However, I'm not ruling against taking a wis based class. I know some people don't mind MAD as much as I do and if a wis based caster class fits your character concept better, by all means use it. After all, the most important thing is that you have a character you like and have fun playing. However, just be warned that if you don't get good rolls or use a low-mid point buy you may find the MAD quite crippling to your character.

If you do want a Wis-based divine caster to work, simply rely on mysteries that don't use saving throws, eliminating the need for Charisma. You will still need Int and Wis, however.

Frog Dragon
2010-06-18, 10:34 AM
Dynamic Priest Spirit Shaman/Shadowcaster/MT?
That should clear your MAD and give you decent healing ability to boot.