PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic items granting a fly speed

ProfMoriarty
2010-06-18, 10:01 AM
What are some good items that grant flight? Preferably Good or Perfect manueverability.

I know theres Cloak of the Phoenix in the MIC for 50,000gp, grants a nice fly speed with perfect maneuverability.
There's also Wings of Flying in the SRD for 54,000gp also granting 60ft fly speed only with Good maneuverablity.

My dragon shaman just reached level 8 and I need feel I could use some wings before level 19, like right now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-18, 10:11 AM
Check out the Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio, page 210).

Ernir
2010-06-18, 10:31 AM
Are you Evil? If so, the Feathered Wings graft from Fiend Folio should be a very good option.

Actual items... these are from the Magic Item Compendium.
Reins of Ascension, 3300 GP (bestows flying ability on a mount).
Dragonscale Cloak, 5000 GP (but is a Relic, which carries restrictions).
Owlfeather Armor, 8160 GP.
Winged West, 12000 GP.
Hawkfeather Armor, 12175 GP.
Skin of Celestial (or Fiendish) Embrace, 24000 GP.

All of these carry use limitations. But if you only need to fly for a few rounds per day, they work.

If you use Magic of Incarnum, the Shape Soulmeld feat can get you some limited forms of flight.

You may be able to get wings through a feat, depending on your race.

ProfMoriarty
2010-06-18, 11:03 AM
Check out the Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio, page 210).

Those are quite nice, very cost effective. When it says it doubles normal land speed, how does that interact with bonus and penalties as from Feral template, Medium armor, Boots of Striding and Springing, 1/2 speed from Iron Body spell?

The bluff check is awesome, I can use that during a full attack that includes the wings, right?

How exactly do I convince my DM to allow these though? The fluff seems to involve evil fiends as well as the creator must be a fiend.
Hmm... maybe he could refluff them as a "gift of dragon wings" granted by a dragon as opposed to a fiend. One to try though.

Also if there a way to improve the maneuverability with an item? I know there's a feat or two that do that but I'm a bit feat starved right now.

Are you Evil? If so, the Feathered Wings graft from Fiend Folio should be a very good option.

Winged West, 12000 GP.

All of these carry use limitations. But if you only need to fly for a few rounds per day, they work.

If you use Magic of Incarnum, the Shape Soulmeld feat can get you some limited forms of flight.

You may be able to get wings through a feat, depending on your race.

I'd like to refrain from gaining flight as swift actions since I already have more than enough options for swift actions through combat including quickened entangling breath attacks, switching out my senses aura, and a shiny new Psychoactive Skin of Iron. Winged Vest looks most promising if I can't get a continuous fly speed.

Doesn't the soulmeld granting fly also require landing every round on solid ground? Is there a way around that?

If it helps I'm a half-orc dragonborn, lawful neutral (for now). Took the dragon breath for dragonborn since I wanted the entangling/quicken/recover breath feats at level 1 (using flaws of course). Anyways thats set in stone as long as my character remains alive.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Ernir
2010-06-18, 11:34 AM
Pectoral of Maneuverability, from Draconomicon. Increases maneuverability by one step, but only works if your fly speed stems from wings. 12000 GP.

And yes, the flight ability given by soulmelds (Usually Airstep Sandals, which indeed require you to land after each move) is really limited unless you get some meldshaper levels. If you want to stay pure Dragon Shaman, this probably isn't what you want. =/

2xMachina
2010-06-18, 11:36 AM
Dragonborn yourself and get wings?

Ernir
2010-06-18, 11:37 AM
Dragonborn yourself and get wings?

Already Dragonborn-ed, unfortunately. Just the wrong kind for wings. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2010-06-18, 11:37 AM
You can grab Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) and the feats that unlock Chakras until you can bind it to Arms, which grants you options from the Astral Construct Menu A, such as permanent Fly 20 (Average).

Curmudgeon
2010-06-18, 12:37 PM
Those are quite nice, very cost effective. When it says it doubles normal land speed, how does that interact with bonus and penalties as from Feral template, Medium armor, Boots of Striding and Springing, 1/2 speed from Iron Body spell?
Compute all your land speed adjustments that don't have to do with the environment or effects that require touching the ground, and double it. You don't factor in difficult terrain, roller skates, and stuff like that.

How exactly do I convince my DM to allow these though? The fluff seems to involve evil fiends as well as the creator must be a fiend.
Um — you really don't. Fiendish wings must of necessity come from fiends. If your alignment prohibits working with them you'll need to save that idea for a different character some day.

Darrin
2010-06-18, 03:10 PM
Winged West, 12000 GP.

You forgot the Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp. 800 GP for a flying mount 1/day, only lasts 1 minute, but they're cheap enough you can buy a bunch of them.

The cheapest all-flying all-the-time item is Winged Mask (Magic of Faerun p. 168), fly spell at will for only 13000 GP, but you glow as a light spell.

Actually, I take that back... Phylactery of Change (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135) is cheaper, 11200 GP, for all-day polymorph up to 7HD.

Slipperychicken
2011-03-10, 11:56 AM
You forgot the Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp. 800 GP for a flying mount 1/day, only lasts 1 minute, but they're cheap enough you can buy a bunch of them.

The cheapest all-flying all-the-time item is Winged Mask (Magic of Faerun p. 168), fly spell at will for only 13000 GP, but you glow as a light spell.

Actually, I take that back... Phylactery of Change (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135) is cheaper, 11200 GP, for all-day polymorph up to 7HD.

I raise you Fiend Folio's Feathered Wings Graft. 10,000gp, AND it works in dead-magic. Only for Evil, or if you don't mind making Will saves.

ericgrau
2011-03-10, 12:13 PM
The ebony fly is a 3/week mount for 12 hours which is almost unlimited. What trumps them all in price are real mounts though. Arguably 4,000 gp a hippogriff or 8,500 gp a griffon.

winged boots 16,000 gp, 3/day 5 minutes, 60' good
broom of flying, 17,000 gp, 40' average, 200 lb. limit (400 lb. 30')
carpet of flying 20,000 gp, 40' average + hover, 200 lb. limit (400 lb. 30')
figurine of wondrous power, ebony fly, 10,000 gp, 3/week 12 hours, 100' average (mount)
figurine of wondrous power, obsidian steed, 28,500 gp, 1/week 24 hours, 60' average

Note: You need good maneuverability or better to hover, except where noted. Average maneuverability has a turn radius of 10', so it's only good for straight jumps in dungeons less than 20' wide.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-10, 12:30 PM
There's also shield of flying, celestial armor. A higher level Phantom Steed.
You could also ride a Pegasus or that [Air][Cold] Horse in MM2.