PDA

View Full Version : Dental Issues

Blayze
2010-06-18, 10:06 AM
A couple of days ago, I noticed a small swollen area in my lower gumline, on the left side. I immediately booked myself in for my dentist to have a look at it. He's recently worked on the area in question, providing me with a filling -- and now said area has an infection.

Now it seems I have a choice: Have two teeth removed entirely, or have a root canal.

I've done some research on root canals, and I've found some official/professional-looking websites that claim that the extreme pain commonly associated with root canals is an urban myth, and that they are usually no less painful than ordinary fillings.

Has anybody here ever had a root canal? If so, please share your thoughts on the process.

KuReshtin
2010-06-18, 10:18 AM
A couple of days ago, I noticed a small swollen area in my lower gumline, on the left side. I immediately booked myself in for my dentist to have a look at it. He's recently worked on the area in question, providing me with a filling -- and now said area has an infection.

Now it seems I have a choice: Have two teeth removed entirely, or have a root canal.

I've done some research on root canals, and I've found some official/professional-looking websites that claim that the extreme pain commonly associated with root canals is an urban myth, and that they are usually no less painful than ordinary fillings.

Has anybody here ever had a root canal? If so, please share your thoughts on the process.

I once had the choice of getting a root canal or pulling a tooth after a previous filling had loosened up and stuff had got into the cavity and messed things up.
I opted for the pulling of the tooth. Not for the pain or anything. it was just a hell of a lot cheaper.

Blayze
2010-06-18, 10:29 AM
Did you get anything to fill the gap with? My dentist said that if it was just the one tooth, he'd suggest having it removed, but since there's two of them that it'll probably be better to go for the root canal.

KuReshtin
2010-06-18, 10:31 AM
Did you get anything to fill the gap with? My dentist said that if it was just the one tooth, he'd suggest having it removed, but since there's two of them that it'll probably be better to go for the root canal.

nah, didn't get anything to fill the gap. It was one of my molars, so it's not as it's very visible or anything, so it's not too bad.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-06-18, 10:48 AM
I just had a truly troublesome tooth removed yesterday, much to my regret. You see, the idea of losing teeth, of which I will have to lose many, is distressing to me. (Genetics, diabetes, and prescription meds have turned my mouth into a nightmare.) I would rather keep all of my chops than lose them, which is something you should have in mind. Somewhere down the road, as many people often do, you may have to start having your pearly whites removed. Wouldn't you rather keep your original equipment for as long as possible?

If insurance is covering it, cost shouldn't be a concern. Get the root canal. Just my perspective.

Dogmantra
2010-06-18, 10:52 AM
Even if it is painful, the pain of root canal will only last a while, while having your teeth removed will leave a big gap forever. And while I haven't had root canal, I have had a tooth pushed back into the gum which was nice and painful, but I found it preferable to losing it forever.

Sir Enigma
2010-06-18, 10:53 AM
I've had root canals done twice, and they really aren't as painful as the myths would have you believe - on the first one, I had it done in the morning and was back to work in the afternoon. I'd go for the root canal personally - much easier than having a hole in your mouth.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-06-18, 12:53 PM
I've also had two root canals. Trust me, unless you go to a crappy back-alley dentist who wants to save a few pennies on lidocaine, they don't hurt. A bit uncomfortable maybe, but no, doesn't hurt.

Pyrian
2010-06-18, 01:46 PM
Yeah, root canals done well don't hurt much; it's a lot like having a filling done.

thubby
2010-06-18, 02:39 PM
my mother had a root canal earlier in her life, and it had caused problems for years.
the annoyance eventually had her opt for its removal.

Allan Surgite
2010-06-18, 04:19 PM
Can I just say? I'd recommend having the tooth pulled, since a) the "hole" in your gum is temporary, and b) you can get fake teeth to cover the gap in your teeth.

I had... four teeth pulled in the past four months, and the problem is pretty much gone. Furthermore, I believe I've had eleven teeth out during various parts of my lifetime, and you'd never know it to look at me :smallwink:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-06-18, 08:29 PM
Can I just say? I'd recommend having the tooth pulled, since a) the "hole" in your gum is temporary, and b) you can get fake teeth to cover the gap in your teeth.

I had... four teeth pulled in the past four months, and the problem is pretty much gone. Furthermore, I believe I've had eleven teeth out during various parts of my lifetime, and you'd never know it to look at me :smallwink:
Getting a root canal will cost something like $200-250. Getting a tooth pulled will cost a bit less than $100. But! Getting fake teeth will cost on the order of $1k per tooth...

Blayze
2010-06-20, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll plump for the root canal -- I'd rather not lose essential chewing/eating teeth, and it's not as if I can afford fake teeth at *that* price.

2010-06-20, 05:58 AM
well consider the advantages of fake teeth! you could get them hollow and fill them with poison for use if your captured, or on a really really bad date! of course if they were easy enough that you could use them in an emergency you would have to chew very carefully!

Blayze
2010-06-20, 07:38 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of "USB pentooth", myself.

Thajocoth
2010-06-20, 08:06 AM
I've gotten 2 fake teeth. Cost me $1500 a pop. ($3000 total.) The most annoying part was the HMO: "Yeah, we cover it... Yeah, we cover it..." then, once I'm finally IN the dentist's chair, after months of braces to make the spaces and a surgery to install the fake roots, "Oh you NEVER had those two teeth? You didn't lose them in an accident or something? We don't cover it."

Unfortunately I don't have any advice on root canals... But how much worse can it be than pulling teeth? You get anesthetic... I recommend the nitrous, personally, for all dental surgeries. I got that both for my wisdom teeth removal and my fake root implanting. Last thing I remember both times: "Don't hyperventilate into the nitrous." Next thing I remember both times: I'm in my bed at home being spoon fed a Wendy's Frosty. So, personally, I'd opt for the canal, ask for nitrous, and let someone know to pick me up another Frosty.

Miklus
2010-06-22, 07:40 AM

I've had one. It not that bad. The worst part is when they stab you with the needle in order to inject the painkiller. And the tooth was sore afterwards, I was on soft food for a couple of days.