PDA

View Full Version : The character inspiration thread (or something like that ^^)

Kiyona
2010-06-18, 10:21 AM
Hello all,

Heavily inspired by (shamelessly stealing from) the famous "What do YOU think MY character looks like"-thread at Wizards forum, I figured we should start something similar over here. Especially since the original only deals with 4e characters. (But mostly because I like you guys better. ^^)

I have an extensive library of images on my laptop, and would love to help finding the perfect portrait for your characters. I have absolutely no photoshopping skills though, so I leave that up to someone else.

The purpose of this thread is for requesting, and finding images, music and other inspirational sources to represent and inspire awesome roleplaying of our characters. (Long sentence is way to long... D'oh! Bad Englishs skills! Bad!)

I will start it off by requesting help with a character that I haven't been able to find a suitable picture for.

Cyberpunk away! (Spoilered for annoying length)

Felicia is a young girl, probably not even 20 years old. She radiates confidence, and just a little bit of mischief. Highly attractive, with a strong and extremly flexible body (think dancer maybe?). Her hair is long and light blond, mostly worn in a high ponytail. She prefers loose fitting pants, sneakers and small, tight tops. Preferably with bare backs. She enjoys attracting attention from males (and females).

Always sunglasses on, but if not, her eyes are bright green with feline pupils.
She has two machine pistols on at all times, one at her hip and one in her shoulder holster.

She is always snacking on something.

If you can find a picture of a small girl about 5 years old that would be even more awesome. That would be her baby sister that she is really protective of.

Background, more wall of text. Not really important, but it might help to give a feel for her. ^^

She is a geneteically modified ex-soldier, trained for combat since first being able to walk. A prototype spliced with feline DNA. (This doesnt show in her appearence except for her eyes, no cat-girls here). As a result she has perfect balance, nightvision and superfast reflexes. She is also lazy, has a distinct dislike for water and is colorblind and way to curious for her own good. (Curiosity killed the cat. ^^)

She has been on the run from the company that created her for five years together with her young "sister". When it comes to combat and stealth she is extremely confident and seems like an old veteran despite being 19. But in most other things she actually has quite a low selfesteem. She lives only to take care of her babysister, 5 years old now, and tries to give her a good and normal childhood. She believes that since the only thing she can do well is killing people, she has no worth on her own.

Her low selfesteem doesnt show unless you get close to her though. Outwardly, she is confident, almost happy-go-lucky, and really enjoys life small joys. Like finding a sunwarm spot, or eating a fine meal. She only becomes serious when her sister is threatened.

This is a lot of details, but that is not really important. It will probably be impossible to find an image that suits all of it. But I figured, the more detail, the better feel of the character. ^^

So, please, utilize this thread to find more and more inspiration/representation for all of our characters. :smallbiggrin:

Kiyona
2010-06-19, 03:34 AM
Really? No one has any characters that they want help to find images or music for?

Oh well, I am bumping this now, and if that doesn't take, I'll let it die. ^^

Pollen
2010-06-19, 04:01 AM
Can't help with full character sketches and there's not a lot of free to use or modfiy art out there. One place where you can get loads of decent icons of weapons, shields, stars, fantasy symbols and so on is at Treasure (http://www.treasurerpg.com/).

It's a visual fantasy RGP/ design game on free download, which comes with SVG or (link on the same page) PDF (for best quality) images. They're all open licence, vector images and they can fair cheer up PC sheets and more. I use Inkscape to edit the images, but the quickest way to style them is to drop them as a PDF into Photoshop or similar. A quick filter and you can get all sorts of styles, e.g. water paper, woodcut, comic . . . out of the same icons.

Wish I could find some decent photos of painted figures that were open licence, as everyone sems to reserve rights on the drabbest image of a badly painted orc, let alone anything presentable.

HTH

Anasazi
2010-06-19, 05:20 AM
after limited hunting I found this:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs27/i/2008/042/d/d/gun_bunny_resubmit_by_Kittencaboodles.jpg
its more western than cyberpunk but i would think the 'wild west' wouldnt be a bad place for a genetically enhanced person to lay low, especially considering the background matches up well with her personality.

Kiyona
2010-06-19, 05:39 AM
Anasazi

I love it! :smallsmile:

It is not quite how I imagined her, but I like it nonetheless. It goes straight to my collection. ^^

Pollen
2010-06-19, 06:01 AM
Obvious good source of personal use character images I should have thought of first. Though it takes a bit of digging around. Conceptart.org forums (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/) is packed with art by professional concept artists. We'd be well shot for reposting or 'nicking' any of the quality images, but I wouldn't have thought printing single images on to a PC sheet would cause offence?

Anasazi
2010-06-19, 07:24 AM
Kiyona- happy to help. Its a good idea for a post but unfortunately doesnt seem to be too popular, perhaps after its realized that they'll get a response the thread will light up.

Pollen- that would come down to specifics, pro's tend to need credidation for their work, on a character sheet you might get by, but in an official game, or as a GM running, you'd want to make sure you had their permission first. This was from deviantart. a site ment for sharing. its through this sharing that these people get paid. Now, the same rules still apply, you cant go using this work for official projects without their permission, but its more than acceptable to use it for a character sheet.

For you Kiyona: http://kittencaboodles.deviantart.com/ I'm sure she'd be happy to know that you liked her artwork.

Kiyona
2010-06-19, 07:36 AM
Anasazi

I will check her out at once. Thank you for the link. :smallsmile: I certainly hope it will, at least I could use a thread like this. ^^

Pollen

That is an awesome webpage *bookmarking*, but not really the purpose of the thread. I think I was a bit unclear. What I was hoping was that people would post descriptions of their characters, ask for themesongs, portraits or whatever, and that we would help find stuff like that. Rather than the already awesome "Dungeons and Dames"-threads around here that posts random hotties, this thread would be for requesting, and getting, help. ^^