PDA

View Full Version : Monsters in the dark

DoodlesD
2010-06-18, 03:05 PM
I'm trying to create a demi-plane of darkness that operates as a prison. This demi-plane has absolutely no natural light, and characters will need light sources in order to see anything at all. What kind of monsters would best be suited to this environment to properly challenge a second or third level party?

We're using pathfinder rules, but i could probably convert 3.5 monsters fairly easily

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 03:11 PM
You can add any creature you want just by slapping them with the "Dark" template from Tome of Magic.

Manual of the Planes has some creatures you could use as well - they are actually native to the Plane of Shadow, but can fit your dark plane in a pinch.

DoodlesD
2010-06-18, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a good idea, except that i don't have that book

Lapak
2010-06-18, 03:25 PM
First monster that jumps to mind is the grimlock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm): blind, CR 1, comes in packs. Suitably scary for a level 2/3 group, and the blindness/appearance gives them a kind of eerie feel.

EDIT to clarify the 'pack' comment: knowing that the monsters can 'see' them without light is scary. CR1 means a single grimlock will be swatted aside. But knowing that a large-but-unknown number of them is shuffling around outside the range of their light sources? That'll put a little nervousness into most players.

jiriku
2010-06-18, 03:50 PM
If you have the Fiend Folio, the shadow asp is nice. CR 1, but you can advance its hit dice to bring it up to CR 2 or 3 if desired. Or just include groups of them. Or do both. :smallamused: It's an intelligent snake that sees in the dark, hides in dim light, and can become incorporeal like a ghost. Strength-draining poisonous bite. Players might mistake them for shadows.

In fact, shadows are a good choice. CR 3. One or two shadows will be a stiff challenge for a 2nd or 3rd level group in a plane of darkness.

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 04:03 PM
What books do you have, OP? Some that you wouldn't expect have shadow/dark-themed creatures.

DoodlesD
2010-06-18, 04:06 PM
I have the core and bestiary for Pathfinder and the monster manuals, players handbooks, and dungeon master's guides from 3.5

LibraryOgre
2010-06-18, 04:08 PM
Quite obviously, you should use Grues.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-18, 04:14 PM
Nightshades!

Never underestimate the horror of an enormous black creature walking/flying/crawling around in the darkness. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2010-06-18, 04:21 PM
Quite obviously, you should use Grues.

Note: the D&D grue is highly disappointing and unrelated to its more famous In-Name-Only cousin from Zork.

jiriku
2010-06-18, 05:04 PM
Aranea (MM1)
Barghest (MM1)
Choker (MM1)
Dark ones (FF)
Derro (MM1)
Displacer Beast (MM1)
Doppelganger (MM1)
Ghoul (MM1)
Grell (MM2)
Grimlock (MM1)
Kaorti (FF)
Kuo-Toa (MM1, MM5)
Myconid (MM2)
Shadar-kai (FF)
Shadow (MM1)
Shadow Asp (FF)
Shaedling (MM5)
Skum (MM1) (and hint at the presence of an aboleth)
Vampire Spawn (MM1)
Violet Fungus (MM1)
Vivisector (MM5)
Wight (MM1)

DoodlesD
2010-06-18, 06:42 PM
Thank you everyone =) i wanted to ask if dark creepers and dark stalkers would be appropriate/feasible for a level 2/3 party? or if there are any real problems i might encounter in this setting.

Also, is that a 3.5 fiend folio? i don't think i have that one, but i will look

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-18, 06:52 PM
Hmm... I just saw the perfect monster. Hunts by smelling magic and can pinpoint prey.

Ah ha! The Essence Reaver from Secrets of Sarlona. Can use locate object and locate creature, Can detect magic and psionics at will and has a few other nasty surprises for a CR 9 critter. All this on an aberration platform.