PDA

View Full Version : [WoR] War of the Ring Crossover Freeform - Interest?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Executor
2010-06-18, 04:53 PM
Hello all

I was watching Lord of the Rings today, and I got in the mood for a freeform RP based on the War of the Ring. However, I think a straight Lord of the Rings RP based on the storyline of the books and movies would be a bit same-y and boring, so I came up with an idea to spice it up a little bit: A crossover!

This is like Cracklord's crossover roleplays, HOWEVER, not based on a crappy story like Twilight. So, the goal of this game is to either get the Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it, or help Sauron recapture the Ring and take over Middle Earth. Here's a few basic ground rules.

1. Basic RP stuff like no god-modding, no metagaming, decent grammar, etc.

2. All characters must be pre-repeating firearms. A character with a musket is okay, a character with a revolver or submachine gun is not.

3. You can bring in historical figures as well as fictional characters, but in both cases, try to have them fit in with the genre. Roman legionaries and Narnians are okay, US Marines and Gundam pilots are not.

4. Maximum of 2 characters per person.

5. No gods (this goes along with the god-modding part), or other overly powerful characters that would rig it in favour of one side or the other. So that counts out the Archangel Michael and Chuck Norris.

6. Unless he is killed by an evil character, only Frodo can carry the Ring. No one on the side of good can replace him as Ringbearer.

7. Maximum of ten back-up NPCs per character. This number may be increased as the War of the Ring progresses from the covert actions of the Fellowship to the open battles in Rohan and Gondor.

So, would anyone like to GM for this like Cracklord does his threads? If no one is interested in doing that, I will, but I would also really like to play as a character, and that would rather interfere with GMing.

Good Characters
Marcus Andronicus
Aang
Robin Hood
Leifr Eiríksson
Oliver Cromwell
Samantha Sane
The Dread Pirate Roberts
King Arthur Pendragon
The Good Witch of the North
The Fairy Godmother

Evil Characters
Raphael Sorel
Lord Strahd
Riku
Dorian Gray
Chained Bloodlust
The Wicked Witch of the West
Morgan la Fay
Ganondorf

You can post your characters now. Please provide a picture, and a list of their abilities, weapons, equipment, and all that stuff, as well as indicate whether they are siding with good or evil.

Creed
2010-06-18, 05:00 PM
This peaks my interests. Expect a character concept if more intrest is expressed.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-18, 05:14 PM
Might make a character for this, will probably be heavily influenced by the books :smallsmile:

Or not, who knows? :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-06-18, 05:22 PM
I'm really hoping someone else would be interested in GMing this, because I want to play as Richard Sharpe or a Roman centurion, but I'll still GM if no one else will, haha.

Executor
2010-06-19, 12:57 AM
I hate to double post, but I think I'll post my centurion character to give players an example template for their characters :smallsmile:

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7235/centurionphoto2.jpg
Marcus Andronicus
Alignment: Good
Origin: The Roman Republic, Europe, 1st Century BCE.
Occupation: Centurion of the 3th Century, 5th Cohort, 12th Legion
Weapons and Equipment: A gladius, Hispaniensis pattern, made of pattern-welded steel, with an oval scutum with rimmed with iron and an iron boss in the centre, a cuirass of lorica hamata, a crested bronze helmet, a wooden centurion's stick.
Talents and Abilities: Excellent fighter with sword, shield and bare fists, veteran professional soldier, great leader of men, decent horseman
NPCs: Ten Roman soldiers - eight legionaries and two Cretan archer auxilaries.

Cracklord
2010-06-19, 03:17 AM
As I am not running a game at the moment, and I worship Tolkien as the pinnacle of human literature, and I am apparently the inspiration for the game, I volunteer to run it.
I'm a pretty relaxed storyteller, I'll let you get away with pretty much anything as long as the execution of it is good, I love roleplay and character dynamic, and I'm good at multi-tasking plots, and improvising as needed.

Also, I'd like to add something else. No out of character knowledge. No hanging around Fangorn waiting to bump into ents, no waiting around Mount Doom for Frodo to show up, and that's final. The bad guys don't know Frodo has the ring. QED. Also, I will not follow the books exactly, as your presence will of course change the actions of the characters.

darkblade
2010-06-19, 12:25 PM
I'm in, for this. Could be a nice break from defiling awful series.

My characters for considerations.

Raphael Sorel (http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Raphael)
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090603234515/soulcalibur/images/thumb/6/6c/Raphael.jpg/300px-Raphael.jpg
Alignment: Evil
Origin: Rouen, French Empire November 27, 1559 CE (Soul Calibur II)
Weapons and Equipment: Flambert, his only remaining vestiage of his life as a noble man a particularly sharp rapier. Worn out noble's clothes.
Talents and Abilities: Excellent fencer, enhanced physical abilities, vampiric strengths and weaknesses.
NPCs: Four Vampiric Underlings, 3 Vampiric Servants and Amy, his Vampiric Step Daughter

Aang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aang)

http://www.sampowers.net/view/bin/images/2010-03-14/aang_official.png
Age: 12 years (112 years counting time frozen in an ice berg)
Origin: Air Nomads, Unknown Date (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
Weapons and Equipment: A staff that can be turned into a glider for riding on air currents.
Talents and Abilities: Accomplished bender of all Four Elements, talented martial artist
NPCs: Appa, his pet flying "Sky Bison"

Executor
2010-06-19, 12:52 PM
Thank you very much Cracklord. :smallsmile: A note on GMing: I was thinking the best way to do it would be a mixture of book and movie canon, as not everyone has read the books, but just about everyone has seen the movies. That way, we can cut out some of the useless things from the books, but also cut out some of the stupid things from the movies (*cough*Army of the Dead*cough*)

darkblade
2010-06-19, 01:21 PM
Thank you very much Cracklord. :smallsmile: A note on GMing: I was thinking the best way to do it would be a mixture of book and movie canon, as not everyone has read the books, but just about everyone has seen the movies. That way, we can cut out some of the useless things from the books, but also cut out some of the stupid things from the movies (*cough*Army of the Dead*cough*)

So no Tom Bombadil?

Mina Kobold
2010-06-19, 01:24 PM
So no Tom Bombadil?

I was pondering about that too.

That and characters, it's not a easy task to pick one or two.

Executor
2010-06-19, 01:52 PM
I was thinking we'd start at some point in the story after Bombadil, probably either Bree or Rivendell.

darkblade
2010-06-19, 02:13 PM
I'd say Rivendale would make the most sense, at least for Aang as a leader of peoples most definitely not present in the original story it would make sense that he would be invited to the counsel.

Although having Rapheal with the Ringwraiths in Bree could be exciting too.

Cracklord
2010-06-19, 05:35 PM
I was thinking that combining the two is probably for the best as well. In addition, I have something further to add.
Apart from the obvious fact that you won't all be joining the fellowship, you will all meet up with it at certain points along the road.
Using the example of the centurion, he appears in gondor where we do a quick roleplay between him and Denathor. He then gets sent to Osgiliath where he joins Faramir and his rangers. So he has the opportunity to play an important part in the story without joining the fellowship, and still gets to kill Haradrim and fight Nazghul, and oliphants too.
Also, story canon trumps yours. If you have an unbreakable sword, it will still dissolve if you use it on the lord of the nazghul, and you will still hurt. Certain things might be negotiable, but for the most part they are not.

Both those characters are approved, by the way.

Final point. Feel free to pursue your own goals in the midst of this. Attack Rivedell or whatever, it will make it more interesting.

Creed
2010-06-19, 05:44 PM
I was going to do someone from Soulcalibur or another generic fighting game, but I had a better idea.
Would Cloud from Final Fantasy be acceptable?

Cracklord
2010-06-19, 05:56 PM
I was going to do someone from Soulcalibur or another generic fighting game, but I had a better idea.
Would Cloud from Final Fantasy be acceptable?

Never played Final Fantasy, so I'll leave that to your discretion. Is their much in the Tolkien verse that could present a reasonable challenge to him? Or can he plow through armies single handed?

doliest
2010-06-19, 05:59 PM
Well, I guess I'll throw my hat in;

Lord Strahd

Origin:Barovia
Weapons and Equipment: Spellbooks and components, as well as a fine sword, and finally a cloak.
Talents: Vampire, Master Necromancer, Trained and Accomplished Commander and Swordsman.
NPCs:Ten of the most powerful undead the DM will allow.

I'm working on a second. Some type of Rogue-ish killer. Maybe a certain Ripper.

Creed
2010-06-19, 06:05 PM
Never played Final Fantasy, so I'll leave that to your discretion. Is their much in the Tolkien verse that could present a reasonable challenge to him? Or can he plow through armies single handed?

My inner child says yes, he's fine.
My adult mind wins this time and says that he'd probably kill everyone really fast.
New idea in the works.:smallbiggrin:

Cracklord
2010-06-19, 06:23 PM
Lord Strahd

Origin:Barovia
Weapons and Equipment: Spellbooks and components, as well as a fine sword, and finally a cloak.
Talents: Vampire, Master Necromancer, Trained and Accomplished Commander and Swordsman.
NPCs:Ten of the most powerful undead the DM will allow.

I'm working on a second. Some type of Rogue-ish killer. Maybe a certain Ripper.

I'll allow up to specters or night gaunts. I have never heard of that guy, I'm afraid, but you are usually fairly restrained, so I'll roll with it.

New idea in the works.:smallbiggrin:

Right. I mean, I can put you up ungoliant if I have to, but you don't have a chance of killing her so that's no fun for either of us. Right?

Falgorn
2010-06-19, 08:31 PM
Ooh, does this mean I can be Eragon?
I kid, I kid. Don't kill me. But in all honesty, this has provoked my interest.
I present you a character.

Robin Hood:
http://goremasternews.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/robin-hood1.jpg
Origin: Descedant of the Earl of Huntingdon. Sherwood Forest.
Weapons/Equipment: He carries a bow, and a fair amount of arrows.
Also has a green, pointed hat, and a matching outfit.
Talents: An amazing archer, often fond of showing off his amazing skills.
NPCs: Little John, a man adept with a quarterstaff.

If not, I have a different character.
Gray Knight:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5353/696180-greyknight_super.jpg
Alignment: GoodGender: Male
Origin: The King's Castle, circa Crusade Ages
Equipment: A thin, gray sword, among other things. Dented, steel armor, with a tabard, fitted for his size. He also has a kite shield, useful for defending against arrows. His final tool is the crossbow, which is held in his large backpack.
Talents/Abilities: He's an expert swordsman, capable of holding his own in sword-to-sword combat. He's also a good Medieval wrestler, and shows great strength within his steel suit. He is rather agile, compared to a man wearing a suit of armor. Compared to others, not so much. He isn't very good with a crossbow, but he has it, in case.
NPCs: Two other knights, which, despite wearing the same armor as him, are weaker, and lower rank than him. He also rides a horse.

Cracklord
2010-06-19, 09:16 PM
I can agree with the outlaw. Though I do inquire to the whereabouts of Friar Tuck.
I'll place you with Faramir, if it's all the same to you, or working with the dunedain. Middle Earth is pretty well developed and the kings or authorities tend to be good, righteous people, so he'll have to change his modus opperai a tad. Maybe Fangorn, helping the people of Rohan against the White Hand?
And yes, you can play Eragon or someone from the Sword of Truth. But I counsel you to remember that I have a sadist streak a mile wide.

Executor
2010-06-19, 10:28 PM
Using the example of the centurion, he appears in gondor where we do a quick roleplay between him and Denathor. He then gets sent to Osgiliath where he joins Faramir and his rangers. So he has the opportunity to play an important part in the story without joining the fellowship, and still gets to kill Haradrim and fight Nazghul, and oliphants too.

Putting a Roman centurion with Faramir and the Rangers doesn't make much sense to me. With the exception of the two Cretan archers, the Roman soldiers can't really contribute much to low-intensity guerilla warfare. I was planning on dumping Andronicus and his men somewhere in Hollin, where they would wander a bit, perhaps be attacked by a group of goblins, and, while fleeing the goblins, run into the Fellowship in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, and then accompany them through Moria out of necessity, not because of the Quest.

But, of course, you're running it, I leave it to your discretion :smallsmile:

doliest
2010-06-19, 10:29 PM
....If he's not using it, can I play Eragon? Or maybe some other noteworthy Sue?

darkblade
2010-06-19, 10:32 PM
....If he's not using it, can I play Eragon? Or maybe some other noteworthy Sue?

You will be so brutally slaughtered. We are talking suicide run into Mordor and Orc rape.

Creed
2010-06-19, 10:43 PM
Time for some Kingdom Hearts references

Riku

http://i18.tinypic.com/6fg1q8w.jpg

Origin: Destiny Islands, Parents unknown.
Weapons/Equipment: Riku carries his dark Keyblade, Oblivion by name. He wears a yellowish vest and gloves, oversized blue pants, and a black leather jerkin.
Talents: Riku is a brutaly efficient fighter, and can sacrifice his heartless allies to heal himself by bolstering his form.
NPCs: 10 Heartless 'Shadows'. See this: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/d/df/Shadow.jpg

so. how's this? I know it's lame, but I wanted to take part and be evil and this was my best idea.

doliest
2010-06-19, 10:44 PM
You will be so brutally slaughtered. We are talking suicide run into Mordor and Orc rape.

Well it wasn't going to be Eragon, it was going to be a rather...interesting little Half-human, quarter-orc, quarter-draenei.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 12:17 AM
Good point Executor. And that was just an example because you were the only person with a character.

Well it wasn't going to be Eragon, it was going to be a rather...interesting little Half-human, quarter-orc, quarter-draenei.

Well sure. Play whoever you want. I dare you.

As to Riku, I'll need someone familiar with the genre to conform he's OK.

doliest
2010-06-20, 12:22 AM
Good point Executor. And that was just an example because you were the only person with a character.

Well sure. Play whoever you want. I dare you.

As to Riku, I'll need someone familiar with the genre to conform he's OK.

I was joking. You guys would take me out behind the alley and start beating me with clubs and copies of the DVD Troll until I pray for Candlejack wi-

darkblade
2010-06-20, 12:34 AM
Riku should be fine, he's a kid with a magic sword who got corrupted by evil magic. Pretty standard stuff for a Tolkien based world.

Only issue you might have is his ability to travel to other worlds through the Dark Corridor but have something force him to stay put and he'll be fine.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 12:36 AM
Easy enough. Morgoth is still locked in the void. Prowling around and looking for a way in. To escape, he has to go through him...

Executor
2010-06-20, 12:46 AM
I was actually thinking Morgoth might be the reason the evil characters are in Middle Earth. The Valar, despairing of the West's chances of defeating Sauron, summon the good characters to aid the Quest, while Morgoth, with what limited power he has left to him in the Void, summons the evil characters in the hopes of strengthening Sauron and, possibly, hastening his release from the Void.

darkblade
2010-06-20, 12:48 AM
Which still works for stranding Riku on middle Earth, Morgoth won't let his champions leave.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 01:55 AM
Agreed. That makes a lot of sense.

doliest
2010-06-20, 02:58 AM
I just realized that Strahd will have a major weakness here that balances his immense power- He's got a few of the classic vampire weaknesses, including he can't enter a domain uninvited. Normally this doesn't hurt him because he can't leave his homeland in which he owns all the land, but Strahd can't invade a city without express permission to do so. Or a house.

happyturtle
2010-06-20, 03:38 AM
When creating new roleplay universes, please go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135689) and fill out the universe profile form listed in the first post, and choose an abbreviated tag for your thread titles. [WoR] perhaps?

This is not an approval process in any way, simply a way for us to keep the subforum organized and make it easier to match up players with the roleplay universes that interest them. :smallsmile:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-20, 06:30 AM
A character from me to be heartlessly criticised :smalltongue:

Leifr Eiríksson (Leif Ericson)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Viking_at_MN_Capitol.jpg/497px-Viking_at_MN_Capitol.jpg
Origin: Iceland, Europe, journey from Greenland to Vinland in 1002 AD (Born 970 AD).
Weapons and Equipment: A large seax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax), a viking sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_sword), a helmet and a knee-long chain-shirt.
Talents and Abilities: Trained swordsman, fearless in battle (He's a viking, dying in battle would be a good thing to him :smalltongue:) and standard sea-faring abilities.
NPCs: Ten of the crewmen he hired to sail Bjarni Herjólfsson's ship. Only basic fighting abilities and weaponry.

Bear in mind that there is minor fictional changes between this and the real Leifr Eriríksson. The real one returned from his journey to Vinland (North America), converted to Christianity, got married and died in 1020, this one obviously will have a different life.
That and there exist no recordings of his personality so that will be fictionalised too :smallsmile:

Executor
2010-06-20, 12:18 PM
We should stick him in Rohan to begin with, he'd probably fit in well with the Rohirrim :smallwink:

Falgorn
2010-06-20, 01:27 PM
I can agree with the outlaw. Though I do inquire to the whereabouts of Friar Tuck.
I'll place you with Faramir, if it's all the same to you, or working with the dunedain. Middle Earth is pretty well developed and the kings or authorities tend to be good, righteous people, so he'll have to change his modus opperai a tad. Maybe Fangorn, helping the people of Rohan against the White Hand?
And yes, you can play Eragon or someone from the Sword of Truth. But I counsel you to remember that I have a sadist streak a mile wide.

I haven't read much on Robin Hood in a while, so I just chose his second-in-command.
Also, on Robin Hood being a ranger, it seems like a possibility, a very strong one, at that. Though I feel that Little John might be out of place, seeing as he has little skill with the bow. (Unless I'm wrong. Again, haven't read up on Robin Hood in a while.)
I think that the organized structure of the Rangers might be a bit much for Robin, but I could experiment with that. And on the robbery thing, I suppose he could tone down the thievery, and direct his focus at the aristocrats who don't even contribute to the poor.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 04:04 PM
How about the nobles in Gondor who refuse to contribute men? I mean, we all know they will once Aragorn shows up, but it's the best direction I can think of.

Playing Eric the Red's son, are we? Well alright, I suppose that works. I'll put him with the Rohirrum indeed, though the fact he doesn't like horses might make him unpopular.

darkblade
2010-06-20, 04:26 PM
Out of curiosity where are you looking at putting Aang and Rapheal at the start?

Creed
2010-06-20, 04:41 PM
And for that matter, where would Riku be placed?

doliest
2010-06-20, 04:54 PM
Is Dorean Gray from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie an option? I believe he was alive and had the painting before Repeating firearms were invented, so it would take place before the film.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-20, 04:54 PM
Playing Eric the Red's son, are we? Well alright, I suppose that works. I'll put him with the Rohirrum indeed, though the fact he doesn't like horses might make him unpopular.

Good point.

he could get a sleigh!... but that would both be silly and incredibly stupid since it can't be that hard to learn to ride a horse.

Wait! Who said he didn't like horses?

Executor
2010-06-20, 05:04 PM
Keveak: The Vikings, in general, didn't like or use horses too much. At the most, they would use horses to ride to battle, but then dismount to fight.

doliest: Depends, is he going to bring a repeating firearm with him to Middle Earth? If not, I see no problems with it, but ask Cracklord to be sure, since he's GMing.

doliest
2010-06-20, 05:14 PM
No, I was just going to leave him with that cane-sword he had in the film. And, much like Strahd, some cool clothes.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-20, 05:17 PM
Keveak: The Vikings, in general, didn't like or use horses too much. At the most, they would use horses to ride to battle, but then dismount to fight.

I know that there's a belief that vikings dislike horses but I kinda dismissed that on basis of Odin having one. I just assumed horses were unpractical when you took the naval route...

But a dislike of horses certainly would make for funny character moments :smalltongue:

doliest
2010-06-20, 05:20 PM
Now I just must make sure there is not one reference to DM of the Rings in my posts.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 05:47 PM
No, I was just going to leave him with that cane-sword he had in the film. And, much like Strahd, some cool clothes.

OK, I'll let him in. No companions, of course.

doliest
2010-06-20, 05:58 PM
Never expected him to have any. He's more than a little crazy.

Edit:Would he be good or evil? I can honestly see him on either team, really.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 06:06 PM
Fair enough. And he's evil. Definately evil. He's a hedonist who believes that as he is immortal there are no concequences that apply to him, and that humans are all his playthings. Moriati disagrees.
At least, that's the way Oscar Wilde imagined him. And he should know, as he created him.

Executor
2010-06-20, 06:14 PM
Speaking of immortality, shouldn't it not apply in Middle Earth? Or else the RP is rather rigged. At least bring the painting with you.

darkblade
2010-06-20, 06:17 PM
Speaking of immortality, shouldn't it not apply in Middle Earth? Or else the RP is rather rigged. At least bring the painting with you.

He'd kind of have to bring the painting, without it he's just a pompus jerk. Not much of a use in the overall war and not very much fun to play or encounter.

doliest
2010-06-20, 06:23 PM
I figured the painting was how Sauron got him working for him. Either say he made it, or he's using it to hold Dorean to his side by threatening to use it on him. Although that means the heroes would have a hard time getting it.

Executor
2010-06-20, 08:06 PM
That makes sense, as Sauron does have the ability to unnaturally extend the lives of mortals, like with the Ringwraiths and the Mouth of Sauron.

Falgorn
2010-06-20, 08:07 PM
How about the nobles in Gondor who refuse to contribute men? I mean, we all know they will once Aragorn shows up, but it's the best direction I can think of.

I could work with that, and, once Aragorn shows up, Robin Hood could continue protecting the people with bow and sword, in accord.

Executor
2010-06-20, 08:26 PM
I think Rohirric nobles would make more sense, as Rohan is a more feudal society and the nobles would have more prominence in the organization of Rohan's armies, whereas Gondor seems to have a professional army, possibly on the Byzantine mold, given it's many other similiarities to the Byzantine Empire.

Then again, Rohan is mostly open plains, with the exception of Fangorn, so Robin Hood would be disadvantaged there, so Gondor is probably the better choice.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 08:47 PM
It's a bit more complicated then that. Godor is huge, and each state has it's own culture and ruler, who opperate more or less however they want, as long as it meets the standards. Take Dol Amaroth for instance, so semi-feudal. Each maintains a profesional, standing army, however the problem is Sauron can strike essentially anywhere as by that point he controls the sea. So most of them do not want to contribute men to Minus Tirith simply because if they do their own lands will be essentially unprotected.
Then Aragorn shows up, the Armies of the dead kill the corsairs and Sarumans fate is revealed, and they don't have an excuse any more so they send their soldiers with him to Minus Tirith.
In the movie, said individuals join the ranks of the Rohirrum as Riders, and the armies of the dead show up directly.

Also, sorry Doliest, but the man who has your painting is... Saruman.

doliest
2010-06-20, 08:49 PM
So Dorean Gray serves...SARUMAN OF MANY COLOURS!

Executor
2010-06-20, 08:54 PM
Cracklord: Again, similar to the Byzantines. The system you just described is very much like the Byzantine theme system of the 7th-11th centuries AD. Also, where are you going to place Centurion Andronicus and his men?

Doliest: SARUMAN OF MANY COLOURS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqgPa33mXU)

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 08:55 PM
So Dorean Gray serves...SARUMAN OF MANY COLOURS!

I will be partly using the movie Saruman, in terms of offensive capabilities and fashion sense at least. But yes, he does.

Cracklord: Again, similar to the Byzantines. The system you just described is very much like the Byzantine theme system of the 7th-11th centuries AD. Also, where are you going to place Centurion Andronicus and his men?

I admit my interest in the Romans as never really branched over the Eastern Empire.

I quite like your idea of them making their way through Moria. So that seems fine to me. Only problem is, I can't let them get out the other side, or they'll never leave the fellowship.
How does this adventure sound? You go into Moria, get sepperated at Durans tomb, or when the balrog arrives, make your way underground, fight a few skirmishes, kill the goblin king (Maug), then emerge far to the North, and meet up with Beorn and the Beornlings, there to go I don't know were.
Perhaps Dale, but they don't really fit.
In all honesty, they aren't too much of a problem to place anywhere, so I'll make it your decision, and plan the adventure from that.

Executor
2010-06-20, 09:40 PM
My interest in Rome started out in Antiquity, but I find myself more and more interested in Byzantium as time goes on.

How about this: They accompany the Fellowship until Lothlorien, where Galadriel hears of their valour from the Fellowship, while telling about the trip through Moria and the fight in Balin's Tomb. She tasks the Centurion with traveling west into Rohan, to warn King Theoden of Saruman's treachery and the birth of the Uruk Hai. This would open up many paths to them from there. They could stand at Helm's Deep, and perhaps the Valar would send the rest of Andronicus' century to help there, or they could go South to Gondor, and maybe the Valar would send a cohort, or even the whole legion.

That was another thing I wanted to discuss: I said in the opening post that NPC support would be allowed to go up as the War of the Ring progresses into larger and larger engagements. What exactly would be the mechanism for doing so? I was thinking the Valar and Morgoth sending in reinforcements as they see the conflict escalating. And how much do you think would be allowed? 5,000 legionaries, or even 480 legionaries, all hardened veterans of Caesar's Gallic Wars, could make quite a difference on the Pelennor Fields.

Cracklord
2010-06-20, 09:48 PM
My interest in Rome started out in Antiquity, but I find myself more and more interested in Byzantium as time goes on.

How about this: They accompany the Fellowship until Lothlorien, where Galadriel hears of their valour from the Fellowship, while telling about the trip through Moria and the fight in Balin's Tomb. She tasks the Centurion with traveling west into Rohan, to warn King Theoden of Saruman's treachery and the birth of the Uruk Hai. This would open up many paths to them from there. They could stand at Helm's Deep, and perhaps the Valar would send the rest of Andronicus' century to help there, or they could go South to Gondor, and maybe the Valar would send a cohort, or even the whole legion.

That was another thing I wanted to discuss: I said in the opening post that NPC support would be allowed to go up as the War of the Ring progresses into larger and larger engagements. What exactly would be the mechanism for doing so? I was thinking the Valar and Morgoth sending in reinforcements as they see the conflict escalating. And how much do you think would be allowed? 5,000 legionaries, or even 480 legionaries, all hardened veterans of Caesar's Gallic Wars, could make quite a difference on the Pelennor Fields.

I have been thinking about that as well. Ultimately I imagine it will depend on circumstance rather then some preordained formula. The problem is that plenty of characters don't have the option. I figure I'll have to make the rule that each player may have one war character and one roleplay character, the roleplay character acting alone, the war one getting his cohorts.

Yes, they would, but that is, of course, the point of the game. If we weren't having an influence we could just read the books, afterall. And the other factor is, Middle Earth is full of armies that characters could exploit, on both sides. You just need to know where to look.

Lothlorien, well we'll see. Depends on the way the game goes, though that is a good basis for a plot. No promises yet.

Also, in the case of Lief the lucky, are you sure he'd be on the good guys side? He is trying to carve himself an empire, and vikings are not nice people. And Sauron can pay him far better then Theodan or Aragorn, I mean he can offer him immortality, Arwen as his bride, all the treasures of the dwarves, all the land he wants, anything really.

Executor
2010-06-20, 10:17 PM
We might have to add a Neutral alignment, since characters like Leif Erikson could really go either way, depending on the situation, and whoever offers him the best deal.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-21, 04:55 AM
Also, in the case of Lief the lucky, are you sure he'd be on the good guys side? He is trying to carve himself an empire, and vikings are not nice people. And Sauron can pay him far better then Theodan or Aragorn, I mean he can offer him immortality, Arwen as his bride, all the treasures of the dwarves, all the land he wants, anything really.

Wikipedia holds no accord of him doing anything remotely similar to trying to carve an empire, why would he try that?

In the real world he was an explorer looking for a fabled land past Greenland at this point in time. Heck, he even became a Christian and brought a priest to Greenland despite seeing that as contradictory to his title (though he also build a church there so he might have altered his opinion about priests at some point.) That strikes me as being quite nice for a viking.

EDIT: And since he still believes in Valhalla at this point, do you really think he would join the side that offers him immortality :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-06-21, 05:13 AM
And why was he looking for this land far from the rest of the world? To build a new life. With him in charge.
I'll admit that my exposure to him is mostly historical fiction, but the most common motivations ascribed to him is building his own place where he could call himself king, or one up his father.

However, i will definitely concede the point about Valhalla.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-06-21, 05:31 AM
Interested. I'l post with more when I have time( Prolly after wednesday)

Mina Kobold
2010-06-21, 05:50 AM
And why was he looking for this land far from the rest of the world? To build a new life. With him in charge.
I'll admit that my exposure to him is mostly historical fiction, but the most common motivations ascribed to him is building his own place where he could call himself king, or one up his father.

Doesn't look like it, some other guy had seen it while lost on his way to Greenland. Being the son of an explorer I think Leifr just wanted to be the first guy to actually get to the strange new land. He even invited his father with him! But he didn't come because he took it as a bad sign to fall of your horse on your way to... the... ship...

What was that about vikings and horses again? :smallamused:

And if you think he just wanted to conquer the place then he did a poor job considering the name of their settlement suggested it was temporary and he only stayed there for one winter :smalltongue:

Go Wikipedia!

Cracklord
2010-06-21, 05:59 AM
Well as I said (or at least should have), I might be wrong.

doliest
2010-06-21, 06:15 AM
And if you think he just wanted to conquer the place then he did a poor job considering the name of their settlement suggested it was temporary and he only stayed there for one winter :smalltongue:

Go Wikipedia!

Maybe they realized the settlement didn't actually have anything that made it worth keeping? :smallwink:

Mina Kobold
2010-06-21, 06:42 AM
Maybe they realized the settlement didn't actually have anything that made it worth keeping? :smallwink:

According to Wikipedia:
They found the area pleasant as there were wild grapes and plenty of salmon in the river. The climate was mild, with little frost in the winter and green grass year-round.

But I agree that it lacked some important things that they would have to get more people (they were 35 crewmen and Leifr) there to get access to.

Mainly booze :smalltongue:

Fan
2010-06-21, 07:48 AM
Hmm, considering joining as Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion Gakuen Datenroku.

Basically, replace the Giant Robot with an Empathic Weapon capable of breaking through magic force fields, and method of transportation to Middle Earth would definitely have to be Leilel, sucked in during an as of yet unmanga'd encounter, and deposited here. His goal would be to find the Angel (who in Gakuen Datenroku can take the bodies of humans, and manifest through them, and are also capable of discarding their bodies.. making for easier recurring villains then the nuke resisting big ones. Though they would be impervious to arrow, and blade.), and force it to send him back.. so he could kill it and use it to revive Yggdrasil..

What say ye, o' lorde of crack?

darkblade
2010-06-21, 11:47 AM
Hmm, considering joining as Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion Gakuen Datenroku.

Basically, replace the Giant Robot with an Empathic Weapon capable of breaking through magic force fields, and method of transportation to Middle Earth would definitely have to be Leilel, sucked in during an as of yet unmanga'd encounter, and deposited here. His goal would be to find the Angel (who in Gakuen Datenroku can take the bodies of humans, and manifest through them, and are also capable of discarding their bodies.. making for easier recurring villains then the nuke resisting big ones. Though they would be impervious to arrow, and blade.), and force it to send him back.. so he could kill it and use it to revive Yggdrasil..

Isn't Shinji's empathic weapon a handgun?

Executor
2010-06-21, 12:41 PM
I'm not Cracklord, but I think it can be safely assumed that Shinji would be veto'd for this. You'll notice that my opening post states that characters must be appropriate for the setting. I think Shinji is close enough to a Gundam pilot, which was the example I used for inappropriate, to be rejected. However, this isn't the final word, so wait for Cracklord to get online and he'll give you a concrete answer.

darkblade
2010-06-21, 01:22 PM
I'm not Cracklord, but I think it can be safely assumed that Shinji would be veto'd for this. You'll notice that my opening post states that characters must be appropriate for the setting. I think Shinji is close enough to a Gundam pilot, which was the example I used for inappropriate, to be rejected. However, this isn't the final word, so wait for Cracklord to get online and he'll give you a concrete answer.

It is an alternate universe Shinji who uses magic instead of robots to fight monsters, so it's not quite as bad as the normal Shinji.

Executor
2010-06-21, 03:33 PM
Hmm, sounds even stranger than regular Neon Genesis Evangelion. And I'll be honest here: I loathe Neon Genesis Evangelion in general, and Shinji in particular. However, if Cracklord says it's okay, then it's fine.

Falgorn
2010-06-21, 04:22 PM
Another question - Is a person allowed more than one character?

doliest
2010-06-21, 04:24 PM
Another question - Is a person allowed more than one character?

Everybody gets one two.

Crap. I said I wasn't going to make Family Guy references once the show started sucking.

Fan
2010-06-21, 04:32 PM

The only reason I even asked was because Final Fantasy characters, and Kingdom Hearts characters were being allowed.

On the plus side, Gakuen Datenroku Shinji isn't nearly as whiny, though Gendo is still a jerkass.

Cracklord
2010-06-21, 05:50 PM

I am afraid I'll have to veto that. For one, it requires me to play with the setting until it's unrecognizable for a single character, for another he very much does not fit in with the series, and for a third he has far more power then anything approved so far.
Try to keep vaguely fantasy, alright? I mean, Kenshin would be fine, for example.

Fan
2010-06-21, 06:14 PM
Well, Evangelion Gakuen Datenroku pretty much runs on a sort of "Modern Fantasy" type of deal, drawing heavily from Norse Mythology, and such.. the only issue would be a hand gun that breaks through magic defense, and doesn't work half the time.

However, your veto is understandable. It twas but a shot in the dark.

Executor
2010-06-21, 06:49 PM
Since you mentioned Norse Mythology, might I suggest a figure from Norse Mythology? Obviously not Thor or something, but perhaps Sigurd or Beowulf?

Cracklord
2010-06-22, 12:16 AM
I'll probably start this game around Friday or so.

Executor
2010-06-22, 12:35 AM
Darn, that's the day of my grad, and I'll be away for most of it.

Cracklord
2010-06-22, 12:55 AM
Or whatever. Maybe Saturday then.

Taenarius
2010-06-22, 01:31 AM
I hope this character is acceptable, it is historical as opposed to fiction. I think Cromwell would want to impose his distaste of alcohol, theatres, dancing and his Puritanical outlook on Middle-Earth, but I don't think he'd join the demonic-looking side. I'll put good for now.

http://m.blog.hu/to/tortenelem6/image/%C3%BAjkor/OliverCromwell.jpg
Lieutenant-General Oliver Cromwell
Nickname: Old Ironsides
Origin: Parliamentarian England, 1646 AD
Occupation: Lieutenant-General of cavalry in the New Model Army, England

Weapons and Equipment: Full plate armour, a straight, heavy mortuary sword, with a half-basket hilt. When not wearing armour, or underneath, he will wear a white collared shirt, under a black doublet, black breeches and brown knee-length boots with wide butterfly-style buckles and wide edges. When not wearing a fully-enclosed helmet, he will wear a black wide-brimmed hat known as a Capotain. Cromwell is also armed with an ornate wheel-lock pistol. He rides a brown horse, with saddle and basic supplies of food and water. He wears a simple, small cross of wood around his neck.

Talents and Abilities: Cromwell has no formal training in military tactics, and followed the common practice of ranging his cavalry in three ranks and pressing forward. This method relies on impact rather than firepower. His strengths are in an instinctive ability to lead and train his men, and in his moral authority. In a war fought mostly by amateurs, these strengths are significant and are likely to have contributed to the discipline of his cavalry.

Cromwell also practices tight cavalry mobile battle formations (hence the name "Ironsides"); this was an innovation in England at the time, and is a major factor in his success. He keeps his troops close together following skirmishes where they had gained superiority, rather than allowing them to chase opponents off the battlefield. This facilitates further engagements in short order, which allowed greater intensity and quick reaction to battle developments. This style of command was decisive at both his battles of Marston Moor and Naseby.

Cromwell specifically forbids his men to pursue a fleeing enemy, but demanded they hold the battlefield. This meant that the New Model cavalry can charge, break an enemy force, regroup and charge again at another objective, which makes them a formidable force on the battlefield. On the other hand, when required to pursue, they would do so relentlessly, not breaking ranks to loot abandoned enemy baggage.

NPCs: Ten cavalry troopers from Cromwell's ironside cavalry -armed with similar mortuary swords and breastplates, gauntlets and helmets, and similar black breeches and brown high boot, as well as brown buff coats underneath the breastplate, the sleeves decorated with braid. Each would also carry two wheel-lock pistols, of varying decoration depending on each trooper. They ride with basic supplies of food and water.

Cracklord
2010-06-22, 01:40 AM
Alright. I'll give him a try.

Taenarius
2010-06-22, 01:48 AM
I changed his profile to good, now I think about it. Sauron looks too hellish for the Puritan.

Executor
2010-06-22, 05:28 PM
:smalltongue: Ugh, Puritans. Fun.

Creed
2010-06-22, 05:47 PM
:smalltongue: Ugh, Puritans. Fun.

Riku loves killing Puritans.:smallbiggrin:
F.y.I.

doliest
2010-06-22, 05:50 PM
Cromwell? Awesome. :smallsmile:

Executor
2010-06-22, 10:11 PM
Out of curiosity, Cracklord, why wait for Friday-Saturday to start the game? Seems to me like we've got enough players and enough things worked out to start it sooner.

Cracklord
2010-06-22, 10:15 PM
I'm going to be away tomorrow and the day after I'll have very little time.

Executor
2010-06-22, 10:21 PM
Ah, okay, fair enough.

happyturtle
2010-06-22, 10:33 PM
Executor, can you edit the title of the OP to include the [WoR] tag at the start? Cheers! :smallsmile:

Gimliggamer
2010-06-22, 10:53 PM
Would these Work?

Chained Bloodlust

http://lionhead.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.03.46.16.33/Screens_5F00_08.jpg
Chained Bloodlust
Race: Hollowman
Origin: The Graveyard of Heroes, Albion
Weapons and Equipment: A large morningstar made of blackened metal, dimmed red runic etchings filled with menace cover the head. A large black metal shield with a single blood teardrop in the center. Assorted plate armor pieces and chainmail sections, but not a complete set of armor.
Talents and Abilities: Excellent fighter with the use of the weapons he has, with several centuries of experience. A deep chill surrounds him wherever he goes, represented by a thin fog. He also has the power to summon his NPCs out of the ground.
NPCs: 9 assorted hollow men.

Samantha Sane

http://www.paulhobson.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Fable-2-concept-art-Good-Female-fable-1900608-591-800.jpg
Samantha Sane
Race: Human
Origin: Gypsy Camp, Albion
Weapons and Equipment: Two simple longswords forged with silver and black leather grips on the hilts.
Talents and Abilities: She is an excellent fighter with her weapons, but has little skill with any other types of weapons like bows and heavy melee weapons.
NPCs: None.

Cracklord
2010-06-22, 10:59 PM
Yes they would. Well, this is going to be interesting.

Executor
2010-06-22, 11:35 PM
Executor, can you edit the title of the OP to include the [WoR] tag at the start? Cheers! :smallsmile:

I did so

And cool to see Fable characters. Those are some of my favourite games :smallsmile:

Hey Cracklord, here's a good Orcish marching song to add to your characterization of the hordes of Mordor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
Bwahaha :smallwink:

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 12:09 AM
Inspirational :smallwink:

Executor
2010-06-23, 12:12 AM
You can find that whole movie on Youtube, I found out to my delight. It was the first thing that got me interested in Tolkien when I was younger. Basically the epitome of childhood nostalgia for me, haha.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 12:19 AM
Ah. I had the cassette tapes, and listened to them quite a few times. I loved it, though in all fairness it was actually pretty badly done. I then read the hobbit, and tried to read the Lord of the Rings. I didn't actually manage it until I was eleven, and had to reread it later, but that's how I got interested.

Executor
2010-06-23, 12:21 AM
Badly done? We're just going to have to agree to disagree then, because I love those movies, haha.

Taenarius
2010-06-23, 12:23 AM
Riku loves killing Puritans.:smallbiggrin:
F.y.I.

Puritans despise purple hair. :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 12:25 AM
Badly done? We're just going to have to agree to disagree then, because I love those movies, haha.

I mean the cassets, which had a great sound track but were more or less incomprehensible. I quite like those movies as well, although the murdered the Lord of the Nazghul.

Executor
2010-06-23, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, with the Skeletor voice. Other than though, I think the animated movies had a lot of charm. You obviously can't compare them to the live action ones, but both have their merits :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah, with the Skeletor voice. Other than though, I think the animated movies had a lot of charm. You obviously can't compare them to the live action ones, but both have their merits :smallsmile:

Well of course. It's easy to sneer at the balrog or the hammy voices, but even a single glance can tell there is a lot love in those films.

Executor
2010-06-23, 01:16 AM
And the animated movies are actually better than Jackson's in some places. Mind you, those places are few and far between, but they have their moments. Like the scene when Sam is tempted by the Ring in Return of the King. WAAAAY better than any of the Ring-temptation scenes in the live action movies, if you ask me.

industrious
2010-06-23, 01:21 AM
Is it too late for me to join?

Executor
2010-06-23, 01:32 AM
Of course not! The more the merrier :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 01:33 AM
Never too late.

Every interpretation has things going for it. The beauty of the cassets was that you could really feel the respective characters opinions and way of thinking. Peter Jackson really gets the scope, and the animated really get a feel for the actual story.

industrious
2010-06-23, 01:53 AM
Low-fantasy, low-powered characters? Hmm....

Good:

The Dread Pirate Wesley Roberts
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/4ad/bb9/4adbb927-dd39-4b5b-bd5d-4ae4f02d9c82
Origin: Florin, Unnamed Fantasy World, Unknown Year(The Princess Bride)
Weapons and Equipment: Handcrafted fencing blade, terribly comfortable mask, iocaine powder, a ship, and crew.
Talents and Abilities: Amazing with a sword, able to defeat a giant in unarmed combat, can outwit a Sicilian when death is on the line, and motivated by true love. Also strikes fear into the hearts of any man who hears his name.
NPCs: Crew of his ship, maybe?

Still thinking of an evil character. Possibly Cardinal Richelieu, but I'm not sure.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 01:59 AM
Why does everyone say Lord of the Rings is low fantasy? It has dragons that blot out the sky, dark lords raising up mountain ranges and giant flaming demons? They actually run into the avatar of the world!
Anyway, definitely approved.

Executor
2010-06-23, 02:15 AM
Probably because the magic is very subtle. The Ring doesn't let you throw around fireballs or fly or anything flashy like that. Making you invisible is pretty much the showiest thing it does, but it's real power is letting you dominate the minds and wills of mortals, if you have the willpower to master it. Willpower, not 'mana' or anything like that, is where Tolkien's magic comes from, and that's a lot more subtle than other fantasy, so it's sometimes perceived as low fantasy.

industrious
2010-06-23, 08:39 AM
Why does everyone say Lord of the Rings is low fantasy? It has dragons that blot out the sky, dark lords raising up mountain ranges and giant flaming demons? They actually run into the avatar of the world!
Anyway, definitely approved.

Because magic isn't flashy or common. Look at Gandalf. Look at Raistlin(before he wore the Black Robes). Who casts more spells in their trilogy?

Evil:

I was going to go with Vlad III, but we have enough vanilla humans in evil. Evil should be scary and dark and creepy...

Got it!
The Wicked Witch of the West
http://protoplasm.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/wicked-witch.jpg
Origin: Oz, The West, Unknown Year
Weapons and Equipment: Black hat(that summons flying monkeys to do her will, can only be used three times), black robes, green skin, crystal ball, and of course...a broomstick.
Talents and Abilities: Magician, with a preference for fireballs and the like. Command over "evil/dark" creatures. Rides her broomstick very well(no staggering allowed). A truly diabolical laugh.

darkblade
2010-06-23, 10:52 AM
I was going to go with Vlad III, but we have enough vanilla humans in evil. Evil should be scary and dark and creepy...

Not to mention that we already have two expies of his more commonly known identity.

industrious
2010-06-23, 11:14 AM
That too.

And Her Wickedness isn't exactly scary, but she should do just fine.

I would have gone with the worst fictional person I know, but the man never shows up. Damn you, Godot!

Executor
2010-06-23, 06:42 PM
"I'll get you, my pretty, you and your little Samwise too!"

:smalltongue: It had to be said

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 06:53 PM
Probably because the magic is very subtle. The Ring doesn't let you throw around fireballs or fly or anything flashy like that. Making you invisible is pretty much the showiest thing it does, but it's real power is letting you dominate the minds and wills of mortals, if you have the willpower to master it.

I don't know, immortality is pretty good.
However, it's realest power was the fact that it bound Sauron to the world, to stop him using up all his power and winding up like Morgoth.
And all in all, he's easily the best dark lord around. I mean, as it turns out he was right, nobody could destroy the Ring. He only lost due to sheer chance. (And maybe Iluvatar pulling the strings)

industrious
2010-06-23, 07:23 PM
Is her Wickedness approved?

And immortality is wonderful only under certain circumstances. Immortality spent like Gollum isn't one of those.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 07:57 PM
True. Very true.
And yes, feel free to use her wickedness. It will give me a chance to do more with Sam.

industrious
2010-06-23, 08:04 PM
Would doing the "I'll get you, my pretty" routine during the Council of Elrond be too crass? Because it is definitely up her alley.

Of course, since she's genre blind, she wouldn't try to steal the Ring then. Just point and disappear in a flash of fire.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 08:07 PM
In that case, yes, she definitely can. That would be so ammusing I won't even sic Glorfindel onto you. :smallwink:

doliest
2010-06-23, 08:10 PM
If I may make a pre-game suggestion, but if Dorean could be useful for one thing above all others, it would probably be a spy or assassin. A few members of team evil are pretty distinct, and Dorean does have the 'hero' look down.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 08:12 PM
Fair enough.
Wait. He's going to begin at Bree, impersonating Aragorn. :smallbiggrin:

doliest
2010-06-23, 08:15 PM
Fair enough.
Wait. He's going to begin at Bree, impersonating Aragorn. :smallbiggrin:

Really? Awesome. :smallcool:

Executor
2010-06-23, 08:23 PM
Wait, when are we starting this? I had thought it started around the time of the forming of the Fellowship in Rivendell.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 08:32 PM
Wait, when are we starting this? I had thought it started around the time of the forming of the Fellowship in Rivendell.

I wanted to start at Bree, but it depends what everyone else wants to do. Because Weathertop and Bree are too good opportunities to miss.

industrious
2010-06-23, 08:38 PM
If we start at Bree, that inn is going to have a great deal of mighty interesting people in it.

Plus "you all meet at an inn" might not be the best. And Dorian has the whole "look fair, feel foul" aura about him, while Strider does indeed "look foul and feel fair." So unless Dorian was to go on a rampage then and there, it might be a moot point.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 08:42 PM
You don't all meet. Just a few of you.
And you have to admit it would be awesome.

Besides, it's the only place that really makes sense to start off Raphael.

industrious
2010-06-23, 08:54 PM
It would be.

"Hi, we're looking for a tall, dark man, in a cloak. He's probably sitting at a corner table, near the end of the room. Very mysterious."

"...Which one? We've had seven come in in the past hour."

doliest
2010-06-23, 08:55 PM
"One of them used mysterious powers to fuse the building with two others to add eight more corners so everyone could fit."

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 08:59 PM
Well, I'll leave it open.
Anyway, it got canceled, so I can start today if it's wanted.

Executor
2010-06-23, 09:05 PM
That'd be good. My vote's for Rivendell, but start wherever you think is best Cracklord :smallsmile:

Also, I'm thinking of having a second character. Would you object to King Arthur, with two of his knights as NPCs?

industrious
2010-06-23, 09:08 PM
Arthur might be a mite overpowered. What with Excalibur (and it's sheath/belt) and all.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 09:15 PM
I should. As a person who valuses fairness, I should.
But I...
I can't. I lover Arthur to much, and I'm currently rereading the Once and Future king, and I thought of suggesting it myself, so I just can't.
Sure, Arthur, but none of his knights. And Merlin will be in the game as a NPC. He's at Weathertop.

Anyway, I'll start the game in a few hours, once I sort out a few things and figure out how it's going to work.
Warning, this game will move slow because I'm juggling commitments.

doliest
2010-06-23, 09:16 PM
So, you said we're starting today? You move fast.

Gimliggamer
2010-06-23, 09:18 PM
I was thinking Samantha could meet the fellowship at Weathertop...?

Don't know about Chained Bloodlust though.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking now. Weathertop should be fine.

Executor
2010-06-23, 09:29 PM
I'll try to keep him fair. No magic scabbard, for one, just Excalibur and a regular scabbard. And even Excalibur will wither if it strikes the Witch-King.

So, without further ado:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/276/c/a/Meus_Nomen_est_Arthur_by_Serain.jpg
Arthur Pendragon, High King of Britain
Origin: Medieval Britain
Weapons and Equipment: The enchanted sword Excalibur, a kite shield emblazoned with a golden heraldric dragon, a hauberk of high quality mail, a surcoat bearing the same charge as his shield, a conical helmet of high quality steel, a lance and a dagger
Talents and Abilities: Masterful swordsman, good horseman, skilled with the lance, great leader of men, good strategist and tactician

Ignore the plate armour in the picture :smallwink: My Arthur is equipped more like an early Norman knight.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 09:55 PM
Then I have nothing to worry about.
I'm giving you all Looooong introductions, so wait a bit longer.

Gimliggamer
2010-06-23, 09:58 PM
Hooray! My short attention span will soon be filled!

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 10:14 PM
Can I get a article or info on Chained Bloodlust thanks?

Gimliggamer
2010-06-23, 10:28 PM
Since Chained Bloodlust is a character from my mind, that should be easy. He is a more powerful version of one of the Fable Series's Hollowmen, a race of skeletal beings that have come to life by means of a wisp entering a dead body. Chained Bloodlust is a being who once power, moere power, and even more power. He longs to be invincible, and he is already immortal (immortal doesn't mean invincible. It means long life). He has little magical power, so he wants more of that, and his morningstar doesn't have much power from the blood runes. And in his life he was one of those heroes to the public and greed on the inside.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 10:29 PM
OK then. Let's play.

EDIT: I just want to be clear, I am only going to update this game once a day, except in regards to certain conversation and fights. Understand?

doliest
2010-06-23, 10:48 PM
To avoid moving to far and leaving less frequent posters behind?

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 11:07 PM
Because I have too many commitments.

doliest
2010-06-23, 11:11 PM
That was my second guess. Honest. :smallwink:

Executor
2010-06-23, 11:38 PM
Cracklord, are the Romans outside of Edoras or Bree? Those are the only two palisaded towns I can think of. I want to know so I can RP a little interaction with the NPC gatekeeper without having to wait for your update tomorrow.

Cracklord
2010-06-23, 11:40 PM
Oh. I forgot to mention. Bree

Executor
2010-06-23, 11:45 PM
Thank you very much :smallsmile:

And, to clarify something about the post I'm making: Marcus thinks it was Jupiter who brought him to Middle Earth, but it was actually... *consults Tolkien Wiki* Manwe, the King of the Valar.

industrious
2010-06-24, 12:05 AM
And Wesley is...

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 12:08 AM
Dol Amaroth.

And, to clarify something about the post I'm making: Marcus thinks it was Jupiter who brought him to Middle Earth, but it was actually... *consults Tolkien Wiki* Manwe, the King of the Valar.

Right.

Gimliggamer
2010-06-24, 12:34 AM
Executor must be making a really long post....:smallbiggrin:

Executor
2010-06-24, 12:55 AM
Executor must be making a really long post....:smallbiggrin:

That's how I roll :smallwink:

Gimliggamer
2010-06-24, 12:59 AM
That was a lot of text....:smalleek:

Executor
2010-06-24, 01:03 AM
My posts will probably get shorter as the game progresses, but I usually like to start off with a decently long one.

doliest
2010-06-24, 01:20 AM
Strahd will probably get a long post in, but Dorean's a...people person. Any long post requires conversation. Or stalking. Stalking is good.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 01:25 AM
Doliest, this game is going to work a little differently. If you want to talk to a character, feel free to make the character reply. Saves work for me.
Take that barmaid. If you want Dorian to take ten minutes to mess with her head, seduce her or peel of her skin, that's your business.

My posts will probably get shorter as the game progresses, but I usually like to start off with a decently long one.

He does. It's really quite amazing.

Executor
2010-06-24, 01:29 AM
Amazing? Hardly. I've just been writing and RPing long enough to pack in some decent description in a few paragraphs. I like to give people something to sink their teeth into when they go to make their replies. :smallsmile: Plus, I know that short posts can sometimes be really annoying to reply to, so I try to avoid those.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 01:35 AM
Amazing? Hardly. I've just been writing and RPing long enough to pack in some decent description in a few paragraphs. I like to give people something to sink their teeth into when they go to make their replies. :smallsmile: Plus, I know that short posts can sometimes be really annoying to reply to, so I try to avoid those.

Beside, it's nice to really define your character.

doliest
2010-06-24, 01:54 AM
Huh. Editing in a bit then. I'm guessing you're only intervening for important NPCs?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 01:56 AM
That's the plan.

doliest
2010-06-24, 01:59 AM
The only remaining question is, considering how little time there is, is there time for anything before the strangling and body disposal?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 02:02 AM
He doesn't know, himself. All he knows is that The hobbits will be arriving soon.

As for you, well it could go either way, we're sailing into uncharted territory. Now, if he decides to take fifteen, he might find Pippin and Merry in the common room, and Sam and Frodo booking a room. The real Aragorn might remain in the main room while you go to the room, or the opposite.
Alternately, he may take five, come back, to find Aragorn approached them at the same time, or any number of possible results.

industrious
2010-06-24, 02:06 AM
I'm not very familiar with Dol Amroth. Any suggestions?

doliest
2010-06-24, 02:10 AM
I'd say that was about five minutes on his part.

Also, Mr.Gray is officially scaring me. :smallwink:

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 02:13 AM
It's the old Gondor. Lots of marble, plenty of learning, gardens, art, fountains and everyone is happy. Rich fields, plenty of fish in the ocean, and high civilization. It's a port city, has the majority of Gondor's navy, and all in all one of the nicest places in Middle Earth to live if you're a human. It's also far away from the actual battle line, so it's in excellent repair. They sometimes see Rangers passing through.
It's ruled by Prince Imrahil, who was left out of the movie for the same reason as Glorfindel, too badass for the audiences delicate minds.

EDIT: Oscar Wilde would be proud. That's exactly how he pictured the man. :smalleek:

doliest
2010-06-24, 02:22 AM
Thanks. Honestly, I doubt I can pull off Strahd well enough to keep his fans from killing me, but Mr.Gray? He's a hedonistic sociopath, and that's a mindset I can play.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-24, 07:54 AM
Where exactly has Leifr's ship landed? I understand that he will be in Rohan at some point but I don't seem to recall it being near the sea.

On a slightly related note: Will the characters be able to understand each other as the understand the people in Middle-Earth?

Creed
2010-06-24, 08:05 AM
Riku has a sad.
Oh well, then I wait...

doliest
2010-06-24, 08:24 AM
Cracklord hasn't made mention that they can't, so unless you character is incapable of speaking for one reason or another, I assume so.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-24, 01:29 PM
Cracklord hasn't made mention that they can't, so unless you character is incapable of speaking for one reason or another, I assume so.

I was just curious if the effect carried over to other languages than Middle-earth's

We have a viking speaking Norse, an Englishman speaking English, A Roman soldier speaking Latin and some others.

It would be a fun situation if they had to use a local to translate for them :smalltongue:

But you're probably right.

Creed
2010-06-24, 01:34 PM
I was just curious if the effect carried over to other languages than Middle-earth's

We have a viking speaking Norse, an Englishman speaking English, A Roman soldier speaking Latin and some others.

It would be a fun situation if they had to use a local to translate for them :smalltongue:

But you're probably right.

And Riku either speaks Al Bhed or Japanese

darkblade
2010-06-24, 01:46 PM
And Riku either speaks Al Bhed or Japanese

Actually according to Square the English voice actors are the canon ones because all the Disney characters speak English.

Executor
2010-06-24, 03:57 PM
To give you guys an idea of what my Roman soldiers look like, since these aren't the classical Imperial Roman soldiers everyone is familiar with from movies (you know, with the polished lorica segmentata and everything), here's a picture from the excellent historical military blog War & Game:

http://warandgame.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/legionaries14adonmarch.jpg

Except, my ten men will be a whole lot more muddy and exhausted :smalltongue:

Creed
2010-06-24, 04:02 PM
Actually according to Square the English voice actors are the canon ones because all the Disney characters speak English.

Aw, sweet! A FF game with English canon!

darkblade
2010-06-24, 04:20 PM
Looks like we are heading for a three way sword fight between Aaragon, Dorrian Gray and Raphael over the Hobbits. Since it doesn't seem like either of the villians know of the other's existance and well Aaragon.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 04:26 PM
Well one IS sent by Gandalf, one is sent by Sauron and one by Saruman, so even if they did it would make little difference.
Which is why I moved Executor's squad in here. In a one on one, any of them are probably about equal to the ten legionaries, (Aragorn is Aragorn, Dorian is immortal, and Raphael a particularly gifted swordsmen with the abilities of a vampire, so...), however they will definitely be enough to turn the tables.
So everyone is going to have to try to avoid all out fighting.

Also, in regards to playing NPC's, there are limits, of course. Don't play any of the fellowship, main badguys, or very important NPC's (like Elrond, Faramir or Galadriel). But otherwise, yep, you are free to write both sides of the dialogue yourself.

Creed
2010-06-24, 04:30 PM
Hey cracklord
Not to be annoying, but when do you plan to introduce Riku? I was just wondering, cause Im curious.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 04:34 PM
He's going to arrive at the council of Elrond. Unlike the others, you'll be getting orders directly from Morgoth, and you're job will be to find a way to get him back into the world.

Creed
2010-06-24, 04:39 PM
He's going to arrive at the council of Elrond. Unlike the others, you'll be getting orders directly from Morgoth, and you're job will be to find a way to get him back into the world.

Oh-Kay
if I don't respond within 12 hours or where I should, pm me

doliest
2010-06-24, 05:13 PM
I'm going to take a stab in the dark as to when Strahd shows up.....shortly after Saruman dies!

Edit: It makes sense; they have similar abilities, so after losing his big army leader, Sauron summons up another.

Executor
2010-06-24, 05:40 PM
...Which is why I moved Executor's squad in here. In a one on one, any of them are probably about equal to the ten legionaries...

Oh come on now, I think you're not giving the Roman legionary his dues as a swordsman :smalltongue:. Hehehe, kidding, but just remember the old Roman proverb: A barbarian can kill five Romans, but an army of Romans can conquer the world :smallwink:

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 05:44 PM
What makes the Romans deadly is their cohesion and advanced tactics, not so much their individual fighting skill. Which is why they routinely crushed the Spartans, of course.
Hell, Caesar crushed them with an army of soldiers he'd pulled out of retirement.
They are an extremely fine force, don't get me wrong, but Aragorn is a legendary hero, and the other two are more then human (or less).

I'm going to take a stab in the dark as to when Strahd shows up.....shortly after Saruman dies!

Edit: It makes sense; they have similar abilities, so after losing his big army leader, Sauron summons up another.

You are right

doliest
2010-06-24, 05:47 PM
*Do a little dance*

Wohoo! I got something right, at long last! :smallbiggrin:

industrious
2010-06-24, 05:51 PM
What makes the Romans deadly is their cohesion and advanced tactics, not so much their individual fighting skill. Which is why they routinely crushed the Spartans, of course.

Which means that the smart, meta-gaming thing to do is get them to Gondor/Rohan, and teach the armies there.

Or they could do the cool thing and protect the hobbits against the evil monsters.

Additionally, I just realized that we have a lot of general/leaders in this game. Command might be a bit hard to come by.

"I'm in charge, I am the Lord Protector of England!"

"I am in charge, I am the Once and Future King!"

"I am in charge, by the order of The Impirator himself!"

"I am in charge, because I have a wheelbarrow and a holocaust cloak!"

Actually, Cracklord, could I get one of those? One holocaust cloak for the Dread Pirate?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 06:02 PM
Probably.

And no, it's not. The Rohan are cavalry, so the Romans don't have a lot to teach them. Except maybe cataphracts, which these soldiers do not have the expertise to replicate (the armor is a complicated thing).
And Gondor is already fairly advanced, though they could learn better strategies, of course.

industrious
2010-06-24, 07:10 PM
Is that a yes to the holocaust cloak?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 07:23 PM
Yes it is.

Falgorn
2010-06-24, 07:33 PM
As for Robin Hood, I need a location. For now, I think that the Rangers will be a fine match for him, if it's all right with you.

As for a second character, would a barbarian be okay? Maybe a certain Visigoth leader, who sacked Rome in/around 410? (Alaric I.)

industrious
2010-06-24, 07:35 PM
That would play right into the Roman's hands. Barbarians ad portum!

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 07:44 PM
As for Robin Hood, I need a location. For now, I think that the Rangers will be a fine match for him, if it's all right with you.

As for a second character, would a barbarian be okay? Maybe a certain Visigoth leader, who sacked Rome in/around 410? (Alaric I.)

Absolutely. I'm doing my thesis on Theodric, so that would be great.

Gimliggamer
2010-06-24, 07:47 PM
As for Chained bloodlust, I was thinking that he would become a servant of Sauron like the Ringwraiths and he would just roll with them.

Falgorn
2010-06-24, 07:50 PM
Absolutely. I'm doing my thesis on Theodric, so that would be great.

Ooh, wonderful. I've just begun studying the barbaric tribes of Greco-Roman times, so this would be a new experience.

Wait, would I just be able to do a band of Visigoth warriors? Or should I just stick with the conquerer?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 08:10 PM
Yes you would.

Oh, and Robin Hood has been engaged.

Gimliggamer
2010-06-24, 09:08 PM
As for Chained bloodlust, I was thinking that he would become a servant of Sauron like the Ringwraiths and he would just roll with them.

Approved? Disapproved?

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 09:25 PM
Approved? Disapproved?

Yes. The Ring wraiths will pick them up after Bree, and they'll join the attack on Weathertop. Or they'll try to stop Borimir from getting to Rivendell, whichever suits you..

doliest
2010-06-24, 09:28 PM
Wait...how would Dorean react to the Wraiths? Does Saruman want the ring right now, or does he want the wraiths to get it?

darkblade
2010-06-24, 09:29 PM
I think thats where Rapheal is going to end up too.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 09:30 PM
Wait...how would Dorean react to the Wraiths? Does Saruman want the ring right now, or does he want the wraiths to get it?

Saruman wants it for himself.

doliest
2010-06-24, 09:30 PM
So protect the hobbits then, gotcha.

Executor
2010-06-24, 11:36 PM
Hey Cracklord, if players can RP as most NPCs now, what can we expect in your daily updates?

doliest
2010-06-24, 11:42 PM
I'm going to take a guess and say important NPCs, Plot Hooks, and actual combat, for the most part.

Cracklord
2010-06-24, 11:43 PM
That is an excellent question.

First up, you'll get an update on where we are story wise. So how far events have proceeded. Second, I will detail your encounters. So while you will have the opportunity to play NPC's to make up for my lousy updating schedule, I will introduce them, explain their attitudes and make their intentions plain. I will also provide plot hooks, and illustrate your perceptions.
In short, you lot provide the story, I hold the story together.

doliest
2010-06-24, 11:46 PM
So, basically, Cracklord's a lenient DM, rather than the control freak certain people, me, would have been.

Edit: This will end badly, mark my words! You let them control NPCs, then they want to sit at the table and get snacks, like they're people or something.

darkblade
2010-06-24, 11:50 PM
So, basically, Cracklord's a lenient DM, rather than the control freak certain people, me, would have been.

Edit: This will end badly, mark my words! You let them control NPCs, then they want to sit at the table and get snacks, like they're people or something.

And you wonder why we skipped over you for the Twilight games. :smalltongue:

doliest
2010-06-24, 11:53 PM
And you wonder why we skipped over you for the Twilight games. :smalltongue:

Because I wasn't here due to internet problems? No, you want a reason to bar me, get me talking about my gaming groups. They've got stories of what I've put them through. In fact, I think the nicknamed one dungeon I made that lasted about an hour and a half the 'Hell Tower' one room particularly was a bad experience between two players and an NPC who entered the room, only one grabbed the wall before the entire floor collapsed into a fall none of them could survive, forcing him to choose between the important NPC and the PC. The player for the then dead PC was not amused. :smallamused:

Edit:I later realized he was important, and since they were in a semi-magic dimension, he was revived as a half-celestial with the agreement he become Lawful Good.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 12:58 AM
It's a lot less convoluted then anything I put together, I'll say that for him.

First update.

Taenarius
2010-06-25, 12:59 AM
Which means that the smart, meta-gaming thing to do is get them to Gondor/Rohan, and teach the armies there.

Or they could do the cool thing and protect the hobbits against the evil monsters.

Additionally, I just realized that we have a lot of general/leaders in this game. Command might be a bit hard to come by.

"I'm in charge, I am the Lord Protector of England!"

"I am in charge, I am the Once and Future King!"

"I am in charge, by the order of The Impirator himself!"

"I am in charge, because I have a wheelbarrow and a holocaust cloak!"

Actually, Cracklord, could I get one of those? One holocaust cloak for the Dread Pirate?

I can only speak for my own part, but Cromwell was made Lord Protector in 1653, whereas this is the Cromwell of 1646. He can only assert authority over his forces. I think he would be more interested in doing God's will and somehow getting back to England, rather than trying to rule a foreign and mysterious land. :smallcool:

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 01:07 AM
It's possible, I suppose.

darkblade
2010-06-25, 01:10 AM
I'm playing Aang post series, so unless Sauron did something to his friends in the meantime (which is not a good way to win someone over) they all should be free anyways.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 01:12 AM
I'll fix that then.

doliest
2010-06-25, 01:17 AM
Dorean being a good liar is defintely cannon, and, while I'm not sure it was mentioned in the book, the obvious reason is that as a sociopath, Dorean doesn't hold empathy for anyone or thing, therefore, he won't get nervous when lying or have any 'tells.'

Psychiatry for Dummies For The Win.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-25, 03:46 AM
<.<
>.>

Uhm, this might be a stupid question but:
Where is Leifr at the moment?
I haven't got a clue, it might be Rohan as he was supposed to end up there but I can't really do much but have them walk around (which they are already so it would be redundant) since I don't know much about what settlements exist close to Rohan's coast.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 03:50 AM
Sorry. I honestly forgot to update you. I'll fix that now. You're at the River Isen, which you can take through the gap of Rohan.

There you are.

Falgorn
2010-06-25, 01:38 PM
Well, here's my Goth band.
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/johnny_shumates_portfolio/images/125085/425x425.aspx
Name: Adelwolf
Alignment:(Is there an Unaligned option?) Good, if there is no unaligned.
Origin: Southeast Germany, 420 A.D.
Weapons and Equipment: Adelwolf has a long, green robe that goes down to his thighs, and provides little protection. He also has an armored iron helmet, which can withstand the force of a weak sword. He has an iron shield, colored red. He wields an iron sword for most close combat; if that fails, he has an iron dagger. He also welds a spear, with a leaf blade at the top.
Talents and abilities: Adelwolf is a skilled fighter, fighting being one of the few things he knows. He is very strong, and a somewhat skilled leader, from times in the Roman military. His main skill is being an expert swordsman, the sword and shield being his best tools, but he lacks skill with the spear. Also, an expert horseback rider and fighter.
NPCs: Ten Visigoth calvary, under his command, wielding the same tools.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 04:05 PM
Approved.
They were also master horsemen, remember. And they had some of the best cavalry of the time.

Falgorn
2010-06-25, 04:21 PM
Approved.
They were also master horsemen, remember. And they had some of the best cavalry of the time.

Ah, I thought it was the Ostrogoths who had the best calvary.

Edits coming up...
Edited the Goth.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 04:45 PM
Ah, I thought it was the Ostrogoths who had the best calvary.

Edits coming up...
Edited the Goth.

They all had plenty, but Theodric's army was almost completely cavalrymen.

Falgorn
2010-06-25, 08:56 PM
They all had plenty, but Theodric's army was almost completely cavalrymen.

Since you seem to know more on the topic of the Goths than I, would you reccomend any books to someone looking to learn about them?

Also, is there a place where they would be suited? Maybe the Rohirrim, but I think I want them to operate individually.

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 09:10 PM
I was thinking Dale. Anyone who reads the notes knows a lot of interest happens there, and it's also a war that they'd be free to act their own way in. It's even got extremely fleshed out characters, though admittedly they were all fleshed out in earlier books.

Falgorn
2010-06-25, 09:21 PM
I was thinking Dale. Anyone who reads the notes knows a lot of interest happens there, and it's also a war that they'd be free to act their own way in. It's even got extremely fleshed out characters, though admittedly they were all fleshed out in earlier books.

I could work with that. Just a question, though, does this mean that the Visigoths are going to be there during the second sacking?

Cracklord
2010-06-25, 09:21 PM
I suppose so.

Mina Kobold
2010-06-26, 08:40 AM
Sorry. I honestly forgot to update you. I'll fix that now. You're at the River Isen, which you can take through the gap of Rohan.

There you are.

No problem, everybody forgets at times :smallsmile:

And just to avoid confusion, Leifr and his men doesn't expect there to be any inhabitants in Rohan. They know there might be some, just as there was in Greenland, but they don't expect to meet any and thus plan to built their own shelter when they find a good spot... Though, they did make the real one despite some Native American tribes being relatively friendly to them so it might not matter much what they find :smalltongue:

PS: Njördvollar means Plains of Njörd.

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 11:05 AM
I was wondering if you guys are still accepting players? If so, what do you think of this character:

http://www.andyzermanski.com/maria.jpg
Name: Morgan le Fay, Morgaine, Morgane, Morgana (Morgan le Fay is more a title, if one was talking to her in person, they'd probably use one of the others)
Origin: Old England (Time of King Arthur)
Weapons and Equipment: Morgan carries no weapons besides a long knife stored in her robes. She wears a long, purple gown, and a cloak made of black silk.
NPCs: None, so far.

Cracklord
2010-06-26, 04:58 PM
I am accepting knew players. I make it my prerogative to always do so.
Alright, approved. Though perhaps make her target other important NPC's as well, not just Arthur.

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 04:59 PM
I am accepting knew players. I make it my prerogative to always do so.
Alright, approved. Though perhaps make her target other important NPC's as well, not just Arthur.

Sure. Who are Arthur's NPCs? :smallconfused:

Creed
2010-06-26, 04:59 PM
oh hai bvdk!:smallbiggrin:

Morgan would make a good ally for Wormtongue when he's working on the King of Rohan. or possibly Wormtongues replacement after he fails, possibly rerouting the story.
Brains!

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 05:03 PM
oh hai bvdk!:smallbiggrin:

Morgan would make a good ally for Wormtongue when he's working on the King of Rohan. or possibly Wormtongues replacement after he fails, possibly rerouting the story.
Brains!

Ooh, that's a good idea! I was thinking she would be an ally of Saruman, and therefore Wormtongue as well.

Creed
2010-06-26, 05:06 PM
Ooh, that's a good idea! I was thinking she would be an ally of Saruman, and therefore Wormtongue as well.

What's this?! Creed had a good idea!?

Prepare your shelters for the apocalypse, folks.:smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-06-26, 05:18 PM
Sure. Who are Arthur's NPCs? :smallconfused:

I meant Aragorn, Faramir (in particular) and the like.

OK, I can work with that.
As a start, Gandalf is still on the tower. He'll make it to Bree in a week because Shadowfax is that fast, but for know he's on top of Orthanc.
I'll write you in on my next update. Which is in the next ten minutes or so.

darkblade
2010-06-26, 06:07 PM
Rapheal is being completely suckered by Dorrean and he doesn't even know it, then again Dorrean doesn't even know it yet either.

Cracklord
2010-06-26, 06:09 PM
Oh what a tangled web we weave...

doliest
2010-06-26, 06:48 PM
Darkblade, I'm not. I'm honestly not. I don't even know who Soren is.

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 06:54 PM
I meant Aragorn, Faramir (in particular) and the like.

OK, I can work with that.
As a start, Gandalf is still on the tower. He'll make it to Bree in a week because Shadowfax is that fast, but for know he's on top of Orthanc.
I'll write you in on my next update. Which is in the next ten minutes or so.

Er, Shadowfax is his horse. The kind of the eagles saves him.

Cracklord
2010-06-26, 07:09 PM
Gwaihir saves him, and drops him at Rohan. He is told he can have any horse in the stable if he leaves. He takes Shadowfax, which is not what they meant, and outruns the dawn.
Unless somebody interferes.

Trust me, my Tolkien-fu is strong.

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 07:09 PM
Gwaihir saves him, and drops him at Rohan. He is told he can have any horse in the stable if he leaves. He takes Shadowfax, which is not what they meant, and outruns the dawn.
Unless somebody interferes.

Oh, Morgan just might. :smallwink:

bvdk99
2010-06-26, 07:20 PM
@Cracklord: Could you do me a favour, and arrange these names from strongest in power to weakest?

Saruman
Sauron
Morgan le Fay
Gandalf the Gray
Gandalf the White

(I know what they would be in the normal LOTR universe, but I'm just seeing if we're on the same page.)

doliest
2010-06-26, 07:26 PM
Now, I believe, comes the point where both Aragorn and Soren attack Dorean, which is going to be a ball of laughs for everyone, I believe.

darkblade
2010-06-26, 07:36 PM
Rapheal Sorel, sorry the Soren was getting on my nerves.

doliest
2010-06-26, 07:42 PM
Sorry, Sorel. I honestly don't even know what he's from, much less who he is.

darkblade
2010-06-26, 07:44 PM
He's a minor villian from the Soul Calibur series.

doliest
2010-06-26, 07:46 PM
Ah. Unless that sword is very magic, Sorel is very screwed.

Cracklord
2010-06-26, 07:49 PM
Absolutely. Note raw power is not always what plays a part, influence and intelligence comes into play as well.
And remember, this is old school fantasy. Ability to use a sword counts just as much as ability to throw fire around.
Anyway, here is the pecking order:

Sauron with the ring.
Saruman with the ring
Gandalf (either one) with the ring.
Galadriel with the ring
Elrond with the Ring, or other sufficiently epic elflord (say, Glorfindel)
Morgan Le Fay With the Ring
Sauron without the ring, but with corporeal form (such as the Necromancer)
Galadriel
Gandalf the White
Lord of the Nazghul (In his masters power)
Saruman the White (Before squandering power)
Galadriel
Gandalf the Grey
Elrond and other top caliber elflords
Balrog
Morgan Le Fay
rd of the Nazghul rest of the time
Rhadagast the Brown
Mouth of Sauron

Also, I'm going to be away for the rest of the day, and tomorrow. Family emergency.

darkblade
2010-06-26, 07:51 PM
The sword isn't magic no but he is a vampire and what I remember from the movie, Vampire!Mina was able to fight Dorrean to a stand still.

doliest
2010-06-26, 07:52 PM
I think it was because neither could really hurt the other in a permanent manner. When you get down to it, they were 'two dueling immortals who would fight until judgement day and the trumpets sound,' same here, really, if Sorel is a vampire.

darkblade
2010-06-26, 07:53 PM
I think it was because neither could really hurt the other in a permanent manner. When you get down to it, they were 'two dueling immortals who would fight until judgement day and the trumpets sound,' same here, really, if Sorel is a vampire.

Or until the real Aaragon comes and takes what they are fighting over far away.

Creed
2010-06-26, 07:54 PM
The sword isn't magic no but he is a vampire and what I remember from the movie, Vampire!Mina was able to fight Dorrean to a stand still.

she was almost as awesome as Raphael, so you should be fine.
Seriously, I play Soulcalibur all the time and jealous that you took him before I did.:smallbiggrin:

doliest
2010-06-26, 07:55 PM
Hope it's nothing to bad Cracklord.

Prime32
2010-06-26, 08:06 PM
Sauron with the ring.
Saruman with the ring
Gandalf (either one) with the ring.
Galadriel with the ring
Elrond with the Ring, or other sufficiently epic elflord (say, Glorfindel)
Morgan Le Fay With the Ring
Sauron without the ring, but with corporeal form (such as the Necromancer)
Galadriel
Gandalf the White
Lord of the Nazghul (In his masters power)
Saruman the White (Before squandering power)
Galadriel
Gandalf the Grey
Elrond and other top caliber elflords
Balrog
Morgan Le Fay
rd of the Nazghul rest of the time
Rhadagast the Brown
Mouth of Sauronlol at Radagast. Poor guy can't seem to catch a break. Doesn't help that he has the same power as Ma'ti.

doliest
2010-06-26, 08:08 PM
That list is missing some Tom Bombadil, both the greatest character in LOTR and the greatest Dark Lord/Bark Lord of the Harry Potter Verse.

industrious
2010-06-26, 10:24 PM
Hope it isn't too bad, Cracklord. Best Wishes.

Also forgot Her Wickedness.