PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Flesh to Stone Variation.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-18, 09:22 PM
Let's say there's a variant of the Flesh to Stone spell that leaves the subject fully conscious of their surroundings, unable to sleep, or even close their eyes. Would this change the spell level any? Would using such a spell be considered torture? How long before the subject is driven insane?

NEO|Phyte
2010-06-18, 09:23 PM
Let's say there's a variant of the Flesh to Stone spell that leaves the subject fully conscious of their surroundings, unable to sleep, or even close their eyes. Would this change the spell level any? Would using such a spell be considered torture? How long before the subject is driven insane?

Probably, Probably, Depends on the person.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-18, 09:24 PM
Well, unless those effects are directly harmful(causes sleep deprivation, starvation and such), the spell shouldn't be thrown off-balance... but you definitely want to add the Evil descriptor to it, as you went through the work to make a practical spell into a cruel spell.

Yzzyx
2010-06-18, 09:32 PM

1. It shouldn't change the level unless there is some mechanical effect. Would they starve to death as a statue, for example? If it now allows psionic powers or spells without components, it might even lower the spell level (but probably not).

2. It wouldn't be much fun, at any rate. Some societies might call it torture, some might not. I'm with the 'yes' group. It's a bad sign that the spell was specifically designed to be the same as a different spell but more painful.

3. This would depend completely on the person. Without personal experience, I think I could last about 5 minutes, for example (10 before I turn violent).

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-18, 09:49 PM
1. It shouldn't change the level unless there is some mechanical effect. Would they starve to death as a statue, for example? If it now allows psionic powers or spells without components, it might even lower the spell level (but probably not).
Wouldn't starve, no biological functions. No pain.
Now that you mention it, though, Telepathy psionics could probably still work...Maybe Clairsentience.

Definitely an evil act to use the spell knowing its consequences full well or with the intention to torture, but is it deserving of the evil descriptor? I mean, it could be used to spy on a medusa or beholder or an evil overlord who collects statues.

druid91
2010-06-18, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't starve, no biological functions. No pain.
Now that you mention it, though, Telepathy psionics could probably still work...Maybe Clairsentience.

Definitely an evil act to use the spell knowing its consequences full well or with the intention to torture, but is it deserving of the evil descriptor? I mean, it could be used to spy on a medusa or beholder or an evil overlord who collects statues.

already got that, it allows the target to turn back and forth.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-18, 10:34 PM
This has nothing to do with the OP, but I laughed when I saw the title because it reminded me of an experience I had several months ago involving the spell Stone to Flesh.

Our high-level (and mostly evil) party had just approached the gates of an enemy city, and we had no army to storm the walls. As the rest of the party worked on a solution, the wizard quickly jotted something down on paper, and handed it to our DM.

The DM read said document, looked at the wizard, and said, "You're a psychopath. A horrible, horrible psychopath."

We asked what happened, the wizard cracked his knuckles and said, "I cast Stone to Flesh on the city walls. After the flesh dies, I cast Animate Dead."

Our druid dropped his dice on the table and walked out of the room cracking up, the fighter looked disgusted, the rogue asked if he could theortically back-stab the wall to kill it faster, and I, the half-minotaur barbarian, replied that I would cut chunks off and barbecue them to celebrate our victory.

Good times.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-18, 10:38 PM
You sound like you want temporal stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm), which does not indicate that the target becomes unaware of its surroundings.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-18, 10:43 PM
You sound like you want temporal stasis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm), which does not indicate that the target becomes unaware of its surroundings.

In a way, but forces can still harm it, and it looks more unassuming. People won't realize that they can see and will most likely think it a regular flesh to stone (or worse, an ordinary statue)

Fax Celestis
2010-06-18, 11:10 PM
Maybe a baleful statue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/statue.htm) then?

Eurus
2010-06-19, 12:22 AM
Maybe a baleful statue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/statue.htm) then?

Being sure to remove the part where you can change back and forth, of course.

Zaq
2010-06-19, 01:24 PM
...You ever read Out of the Aeons?

Go do so. In the dark.

Greenish
2010-06-19, 02:06 PM
Now that you mention it, though, Telepathy psionics could probably still work...Maybe Clairsentience.Why just telepathy psionics? All psionic powers are purely mental actions.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-19, 06:29 PM
Why just telepathy psionics? All psionic powers are purely mental actions.
Just trying to keep the psionics from breaking the core purpose of the spell, to disable a target. Most from the other disciplines would break that. I guess it would be up to the DMs decision as to what would or wouldn't work.

...You ever read Out of the Aeons?

Go do so. In the dark.
Actually the idea is based on this short comic (http://kdingo.net/champ/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=2344).

EvilJoe15
2010-06-19, 06:33 PM
I find myself thinking "What would happen if you cast Transmute Stone To Mud?" Would that mean you're a selfaware puddle of mud? What if you cast Purify Water after that? Would you then be a self aware pool of water?

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-19, 06:34 PM
I find myself thinking "What would happen if you cast Transmute Stone To Mud?" Would that mean you're a selfaware puddle of mud? What if you cast Purify Water after that? Would you then be a self aware pool of water?

Self aware dirt filtered out from mud.

Tyrmatt
2010-06-19, 06:36 PM
This has nothing to do with the OP, but I laughed when I saw the title because it reminded me of an experience I had several months ago involving the spell Stone to Flesh.

Our high-level (and mostly evil) party had just approached the gates of an enemy city, and we had no army to storm the walls. As the rest of the party worked on a solution, the wizard quickly jotted something down on paper, and handed it to our DM.

The DM read said document, looked at the wizard, and said, "You're a psychopath. A horrible, horrible psychopath."

We asked what happened, the wizard cracked his knuckles and said, "I cast Stone to Flesh on the city walls. After the flesh dies, I cast Animate Dead."

Our druid dropped his dice on the table and walked out of the room cracking up, the fighter looked disgusted, the rogue asked if he could theortically back-stab the wall to kill it faster, and I, the half-minotaur barbarian, replied that I would cut chunks off and barbecue them to celebrate our victory.

Good times.

I applaud your ability in finding new ways to making my inner psycho grin and sharpen his knives. Kudos

I concur with the rest of the thread, add in the Evil descriptor and it's fine. Perhaps for every year of "confinement" without contact with other sentient beings, the subject loses -1 Wis, Int and Cha? This may raise the spell level though.

Greenish
2010-06-19, 09:14 PM
Just trying to keep the psionics from breaking the core purpose of the spell, to disable a target. Most from the other disciplines would break that. I guess it would be up to the DMs decision as to what would or wouldn't work.Why would you care of the spell's level or other details if you're going to fiat it anyway?

Lysander
2010-06-19, 09:41 PM
A lich's paralysis is a bit like that, except it doesn't turn them to stone.

And Trap the Soul never says the victim isn't conscious within the gem. So you could houserule that they are stuck peering out of the gem forever. You know, Trap the Soul doesn't specify what shape the gem has to be in. So you could theoretically find a very large and valuable piece of say quartz and carve a statue of your intended victim.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-22, 07:38 PM
So you could theoretically find a very large and valuable piece of say quartz and carve a statue of your intended victim.

This, but find a way to incorporate torture rules. I imagine being carved hurts quite a bit, even when you're made of stone.