PDA

View Full Version : [Serenity] A little help understanding the 'verse

ninja_penguin
2010-06-18, 11:39 PM
So, my gaming group is planning on running a Serenity campaign soon, using the cortex system. I'm aware of Firefly, but I'm more aware of the characters then I am the setting itself. I've been making a Pilot/Captain style character, but I seem to be exasperating the DM with some of my choices. I know part of it is because the DM himself effectively plays Jayne Cobb regardless of what system we're playing otherwise, but I'm also unfamiliar with both the cortex system and the Serenity/Firefly Universe as a whole.

For assets, the currently-unnamed-captain has the ability to re-roll and take the higher roll twice, a nose for trouble, underworld contacts, and leadership to help out the rest of the gang.

For hindrances , he's allergic to dogs, a bit of a klepto, can't ignore a pretty lady, and a combination of the previous two have resulted in a man who is a bit irritated that the captain filched the ring that he was going to give to a companion as an engagement ring, and sold it to pay for a visit with that very same companion.

Now, skill wise I've got the piloting, the leadership skills, and your general survive a gun-battle skill set of pistols, dodging, and the like. I spent some bare minimum points on mechanical engineering because our mechanic is likely to be tripping the 'verse on who knows what when it's least convenient. Also some talking skills in there as well.

I see the character as somebody who has managed to avoid getting himself killed by a combination of luck, knowing when to dive for cover, and when to shoot the other guy first. He's just trying to get by and all sorts of bad things just seem to come his way.

So, how well does that fit in the Serenity universe? Any particular mannerisms or suggestions that would help fit him into the Firefly universe better? I'm not sure if I'll ever stop exasperating the GM that I haven't maxed out combat skills, but I'd at least like to be confident with what I've got.

BobVosh
2010-06-18, 11:57 PM
I see the character as somebody who has managed to avoid getting himself killed by a combination of luck, knowing when to dive for cover, and when to shoot the other guy first. He's just trying to get by and all sorts of bad things just seem to come his way.

So, how well does that fit in the Serenity universe? Any particular mannerisms or suggestions that would help fit him into the Firefly universe better? I'm not sure if I'll ever stop exasperating the GM that I haven't maxed out combat skills, but I'd at least like to be confident with what I've got.

Thats exactly my concept of anyone outside of the alliance controlled core. Should fit in on the fringe very well.

RufusCorvus
2010-06-18, 11:59 PM
He sounds like he'll fit right in.

Project_Mayhem
2010-06-19, 06:11 AM
Have you actually watched Firefly and Serenity though?

If no, drop everything and watch them now. We'll wait.

ninja_penguin
2010-06-19, 07:43 AM
I've seen the last 20 minutes of the movie, and I've seen about half of the TV series out of order. So I'm more or less aware of the series' characters, but not who everything fits together so much.

Also, I don't think I'll have the time to finish watching the series before next Friday, so that's why I'm fishing for opinions/thoughts.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-19, 09:26 AM
Also, I don't think I'll have the time to finish watching the series before next Friday, so that's why I'm fishing for opinions/thoughts.

Sure you will. There's only 13 episodes. Just watch 2 a day and you'll be done in a week! :smallbiggrin:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-19, 09:28 AM
I don't think I've ever managed to watch just two episodes of Firefly in a sitting.

Grommen
2010-06-19, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you'll fit in just fine.

We just started about a month or so back, running though all the published adventures at the moment. It is an interesting system, not so sure we have it all worked out yet, but so far it's been fun.

Seems our captains are a bit alike in our love of the ladies. :smallbiggrin: Hope we never bump into each other over one.

I also found ducking for cover to be over rated as I can manage to roll "2" on a dodge roll with some consistency, better to find cover me thinks.

If you can get ahold of them, watch the show, it's awesome. That and find a good old western channel on cable. It should give you some ideas as well.

Yrcrazypa
2010-06-19, 09:59 AM
I don't think I've ever managed to watch just two episodes of Firefly in a sitting.

I watched 9 in one sitting. Do I win?:smallbiggrin:

Project_Mayhem
2010-06-19, 10:38 AM
Try all the Firefly episodes + Serenity back to back. Then I might lend you my trophy :smallbiggrin:

Otogi
2010-06-19, 10:49 AM
You can try various sites; fansites, wikis, blogs.

In fact, just read the TvTropes page twice. They pretty much bring the word "fan" back to it's, er, original meaning.

ninja_penguin
2010-06-19, 01:52 PM
Hm, that's a good idea. I can tab back and forth from the TVTropes page easier then wander elsewhere to try and watch them.

ninja_penguin
2010-06-19, 01:57 PM
Also regarding dodge, I guess that you always have to have something to hide behind when you're dodging ranged attacks? I'm not 100% sure of the system. I guess it makes sense you can't stand there in the open and pull a Neo-bullet time effect, but it seems a little odd to me.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-19, 02:08 PM

How is that possible?? :smallconfused:

Friv
2010-06-19, 04:52 PM
The Verse is actually pretty simple. The Core is every rich area in cyberpunk, and the Rim is the Wild West. Every area between those two is a mix of the two things.

With that in mind, your captain should get along pretty well, on the understanding that he may get into a gunfight and die. Save some plot points at all times for dealing with inevitable gunshot wounds, and you'll do fine. ;)

Curmudgeon
2010-06-19, 05:25 PM
Try all the Firefly episodes + Serenity back to back. Then I might lend you my trophy :smallbiggrin:
Did it twice. Do I get double trophies? :biggrin: