PDA

View Full Version : Umm... this wasn't intentional. Promise!

Umael
2010-06-19, 02:58 AM
Well, I had a bit of an almost awkward moment in game tonight.

I'm running a Mage game, and the game currently involves helping a mother and son ghost from being sucked into Oblivion. I decided that the father walked out on them and the mother turned to drinking. Eventually said mother got so upset she used a meat cleaver as a paddle on the son when he misbehaved (or cried if he got too hungry). Then one day, she got so upset that she didn't use the flat end. This upset her so much that she committed suicide.

The trouble is, I had forgotten that one of my players had an alcoholic mother (who passed away). Apparently, I was doing such a good job RPing the mother (saying things like "I just need a drink, just one drink," and "Damn bastard... walking out on us," that I brought back some unpleasant memories for him. As he said, it was like he had heard it all before, word-for-word.

Mind you, he was completely cool with it. He expressed his opinion though, that he would be very happy when the mother was gone. And he wasn't talking In-Character.

The real bitch of it? He mentioned the same thing to me last week, when I played the NPC then... and I forgot about it, just RPed the character as I imagined her being.

At this point... I am so happy he was mature about the whole thing, because... dang! That could have so gotten uncomfortable for everyone.

Anyone else ever do something similar?

molten_dragon
2010-06-19, 07:14 AM
Well, it wasn't gaming related, but in college I had a work study job doing accounting stuff at a battered women's shelter. One day, I wasn't thinking and wore this (http://www.moosegoods.com/Images/products/Clothing/13040-Beatings-Navy.jpg) to work.

Greenish
2010-06-19, 07:19 AM
Well, it wasn't gaming related, but in college I had a work study job doing accounting stuff at a battered women's shelter. One day, I wasn't thinking and wore this (http://www.moosegoods.com/Images/products/Clothing/13040-Beatings-Navy.jpg) to work.I'm not sure if I should be laughing, but I am.

Umael
2010-06-19, 12:09 PM
Well, it wasn't gaming related, but in college I had a work study job doing accounting stuff at a battered women's shelter. One day, I wasn't thinking and wore this (http://www.moosegoods.com/Images/products/Clothing/13040-Beatings-Navy.jpg) to work.

Oh man... I found that funny too.

What happened?

Talon Sky
2010-06-19, 01:30 PM
Not really IC, but one of my players was trying to smack talk the BBEG and said something akin to, "I'm gonna smash this hammer so hard into your head, you mother's gonna die from brain damage!"

Two and a half weeks before, my mother died of a stroke. Yeah, that battle did not go well. After I calmed down, all attacks by the BBEG on him were auto-crit. >.<

Umael
2010-06-19, 01:50 PM
Not really IC, but one of my players was trying to smack talk the BBEG and said something akin to, "I'm gonna smash this hammer so hard into your head, you mother's gonna die from brain damage!"

Two and a half weeks before, my mother died of a stroke. Yeah, that battle did not go well. After I calmed down, all attacks by the BBEG on him were auto-crit. >.<

I have to ask - was his comment intentional? I mean, in my case I completely forgot about my player's mother being an alcoholic. Twice (yes, I'm that bad, I have stories).

Because if it was... yeah, auto-crit sounds good. If not, you might have reacted a tad poorly (although understandably).

(Also, don't know how long ago it was, but my condolences about your mother. Mine passed away seven years, and it still bothers me from time to time, so... yeah, I understand a little.)

Ashiel
2010-06-19, 07:32 PM

As someone who has lost loved ones, this was a douche move. :smallannoyed:

And by this, I mean taking your frustrations out on your friends.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 07:51 PM

...That is absolutely horrible, but I couldn't help laughing either. I'm a bad person. :smallfrown:

Starscream
2010-06-19, 08:17 PM

That's not-*Snrk*...that's not-*Choke*...That's not funny! Bwahahaha!

Did something similar once. I was in a Tomorrow's Teacher's program at college. To stay in the program I needed to do some volunteer tutoring at the locals schools. At the last minute on a Friday I was called for an interview by one of them.

I agreed to rush out there right away, feeling that doing so rather than insisting on waiting until after the weekend would show I have flexibility and can-do attitude or whatever the hell it is you have to pretend at job interviews.

Only problem, pretty much all of my clothes were in the wash. I found a decent interview shirt, but had no clean undershirts. So I turned a white t-shirt with text on it inside-out and wore that underneath. Exiting the car, it was raining and I got wet. I did the little ten minute interview, and it seemed to go well. Only when I saw my reflection in the shiny glass door while leaving did I realize what I had done.

I was interviewing for a spot tutoring dyslexic kids in reading. And thanks to the rain, I had text showing through my shirt. Backwards text.

Got the position though. Guess the interviewer had a sense of humor.:smallbiggrin:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-06-19, 08:36 PM
Completely unrelated to gaming, but I once once jokingly told my friend's mother that my other friend has the weakest immune system of anyone I know. She was undergoing chemo at the time, and literally had almost no immune system. I realized what I said about two beats after I said, it, when it was just too late to apologize without increasing the awkwardness. Also, she was driving me somewhere.

Awwwwkward!

Talon Sky
2010-06-20, 12:23 AM
As someone who has lost loved ones, this was a douche move. :smallannoyed:

And by this, I mean taking your frustrations out on your friends.

I have to ask - was his comment intentional? I mean, in my case I completely forgot about my player's mother being an alcoholic. Twice (yes, I'm that bad, I have stories).

Because if it was... yeah, auto-crit sounds good. If not, you might have reacted a tad poorly (although understandably).

(Also, don't know how long ago it was, but my condolences about your mother. Mine passed away seven years, and it still bothers me from time to time, so... yeah, I understand a little.)

It was intentional. He said afterwards (rather in a huff) that it was intended as a joke, because I was very calm about my mom passing, he thought it wouldn't bother me.

Meh, maybe it's one of those situations you had to be there to really get. It was kind of said in a tone, with this look on his face, that no one could believe he'd just gone there.

Oh, and thank you, Umael.

Thurbane
2010-06-20, 12:36 AM
Not RP related, but one of my best friends at high school lost his mother when she was hit by a car while she was walking back from the shops when he was 17.

For his 18th, I made a mix tape of music to play at the party. One of the songs was "Indisposed" by Australian Crawl. I liked the song, but never really listened to the lyrics. It's about the singer's friend getting hit and killed by a car! :smalleek:

...the guy was pretty cool about it, he realized I didn't know what the song was about.

Swordgleam
2010-06-20, 12:59 AM
My mom had breast cancer and survived, my dad had brain cancer and didn't. I had a friend in college whose mother died of cancer. Whenever someone told him a 'your mom' joke, he responded, totally straightfaced, "My mom's dead." Sometimes they didn't believe him, so he'd elaborate.

And then, if I was around and the third person was a jerk anyway and we were both feeling passive-aggressive, we'd tell each other "parent dying of cancer" stories until the third person wanted to melt into the floor.