PDA

View Full Version : My school is FRUSTRATING.

Lord Loss
2010-06-19, 05:48 AM
During the course of the year i lost my french manual. Fair enough. i paid for it. Now my french teacher insists I received a replacement manual (I didn't) and emailed me saying I havent handed it in. She's making me pay for it, despite the fact I never goy one :smallconfused:. She lent me one for a class or so then took it back, seeing as she needed it. So now i'm paying for a manual I never had.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-19, 05:52 AM
You assume that your school district works with your best interests in mind.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-19, 05:55 AM
Talk to the Head, explaining that fact?

Or better yet: burst the teacher's tyres. They'll be so busy worrying that you might burn their houses down or something they'll completely forget about the book :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2010-06-19, 05:57 AM
My parents told me that they'd just pay for it and not complain about it.:smallannoyed:.

RationalGoblin
2010-06-19, 05:53 PM
My parents told me that they'd just pay for it and not complain about it.:smallannoyed:.

Good old parents for ya; would rather take a significant monetary dip then look bad by complaining to anyone.

Kallisti
2010-06-19, 06:02 PM
They're allowed to arbitrarily declare you need to pay them for a book you never received and yet there's funding problems in so many schools? I must have missed something here...

Brewdude
2010-06-19, 06:25 PM
And THIS, my friend, is where you learn the value of insisting on receipts.

THAC0
2010-06-19, 06:42 PM
And THIS, my friend, is where you learn the value of insisting on receipts.

Not entirely applicable in this situation. How does one obtain a receipt showing that one never received an item?

BSW
2010-06-19, 07:14 PM
Not entirely applicable in this situation. How does one obtain a receipt showing that one never received an item?

It's the side that's claiming he received the item that uses the receipt. The idea is that if they don't have a receipt or similar document showing that he did receive the book, then the default assumption is that he didn't and would therefore owe nothing.

Most institutions do something similar to that when loaning out property.

That fact that the OPs school doesn't is pretty stupid on their part. If I were his parents I'd refuse to pay without some kind of proof of receipt.

Lord Loss
2010-06-20, 09:52 AM
My dad said we'd talk to the teacher about it...

Leecros
2010-06-20, 10:47 AM
My dad said we'd talk to the teacher about it...

i'd still go over his or her head and talk to someone higher up who doesn't already have a preconceived notion of what happened.

RandomNPC
2010-06-20, 12:04 PM

That's my parents to the letter. I don't know how many times i've been told I'd be stood up for it I ever needed it just to be told we'd work around it. I have a low tolerance for people like that now, as I don't know how many times i've received praise for an idea just to be told i'm crazy for actually wanting to do something.

IonDragon
2010-06-20, 05:19 PM
I'm curious, do you go to a really little school? At my Jr. High (Class was about 200) it was the Librarians that dealt with text books, not the teachers. Come to think if it, it was that way even at my elementary school (Class was about 50)

Sliver
2010-06-20, 05:29 PM
I'm curious, do you go to a really little school? At my Jr. High (Class was about 200) it was the Librarians that dealt with text books, not the teachers. Come to think if it, it was that way even at my elementary school (Class was about 50)

Wow, are classes that big? My high school had two "high level" classes with less than 30 students (a bit more than 20 actually) and the rest were normal around 30 students per class. We had around 8 classes per year...

SaintRidley
2010-06-20, 05:31 PM
Wow, are classes that big? My high school had two "high level" classes with less than 30 students (a bit more than 20 actually) and the rest were normal around 30 students per class. We had around 8 classes per year...

He means the amount of students in the grade/form at all.

IonDragon
2010-06-20, 05:41 PM
Yeah, as in 'Class of '07'.

Sliver
2010-06-20, 06:19 PM
Ooooh... That explains it...

Another_Poet
2010-06-20, 06:22 PM

As a 28 year old with a mortgage, let me urge you (sincerely) to let go of the frustration, be grateful to your parents, and enjoy the summer vacation.

You'll have plenty of time to be frustrated later in life. :smallwink:

rakkoon
2010-06-21, 08:59 AM
Hear the poet, he knowit !

It sucks that he doesn't believe you. Now if you never have to see him again, just let your parents pay for it. Otherwise, just let your parents pay for it and make sure the teacher knows you diasagree but are a gentleman about it.

Form
2010-06-21, 09:10 AM
Hear the poet, he knowit !

It sucks that he doesn't believe you. Now if you never have to see him again, just let your parents pay for it. Otherwise, just let your parents pay for it and make sure the teacher knows you diasagree but are a gentleman about it.

Yeah, it's probably best to do that and not force the issue. I don't think you want to end up with the teacher as an enemy over this.

Sinon
2010-06-23, 11:33 PM
Ask the teacher for the

Have your dad ask the teacher

Have your dad call the principal and let him talk to the teacher. Dad’s willing to pay, but since he also trusts you when you say you don’t have it, he wants to have you look for the book.

So, he just needs the number of the book you were lent (and of course, the teacher must have his books numbered and surely recorded the number) and for you to have the opportunity to look through the books to see if that one crops up.

Chances are the teacher will look like an idiot, in front of his boss, for not doing some elementary documentation and recordkeeping. A couple innocent questions from your dad here:

“Well, how do you know he didn’t return it?”
“How many books did you start the year with? And how many have you now?”

You may even find the book, or, the teacher might not want to go though all the bs of trying to establish that he really did give it to you, and cave.

Worst case, your dad does what he’s perfectly willing to do already, pay.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-01, 04:06 AM
As a 28 year old with a mortgage, let me urge you (sincerely) to let go of the frustration, be grateful to your parents, and enjoy the summer vacation.

You'll have plenty of time to be frustrated later in life. :smallwink:

That's what my parents tell me too... :smallbiggrin:

I had the same problem, with a french book too. I would rather buy it myself (and did) than allow my parents to do me a "favour" and therefore indebt to them for evermore :smallbiggrin:

Dante

Moofaa
2010-07-01, 11:47 PM
My graduating class was around 600 people :smallbiggrin:

Its a "rural" HS too, but it services a HUGE area and kids from multiple JR. high schools end up being pooled there.

As far as individual classroom classes I had one with 56 students 2 teachers, and it lasted an hour-and-a-half in something they called "double blocking"...all crammed into a room designed for 25 students. They taught history and literature, the teachers taking turns.

Actually had to load students at the start of class by row, because the next row had to push their desks up against the previous in order to squeeze that many kids into the room. You were then imprisoned at your desk for an hour and a half. Someone needing to go pee disrupted the whole class for at least 10 minutes during the clattering and shuffling to let them out. I don't think they do classes that way anymore.

Also as for the book thing: colleges pull that crap too. My entire Stats class ended up not recieving a software package that was supposed to be included with the book, despite being promised during the entire course it was on its way. 15 weeks later the campus book store refused to take the books back because it was missing software. It was a 150$ book. Eventually they were pressured into taking them back.