PDA

View Full Version : Versatile casting and Ultimate magus

thirdkingdom
2010-06-19, 10:33 AM
Can the Versatile casting Feat be used in conjunction with the Ultimate magi's ability to substitute spontaneous and prepared spell slots for metamagic casting?

Todd

erikun
2010-06-19, 12:18 PM
I don't see any conflict or crossover between the two. The Versatile Spellcaster feat allows you to give up lower level spell slots to cast a higher level spell. The Augmented Casting casting ability from the Ultimate Magus allows you to give up spell slot from one type of casting to apply metamagic to a spell from the other type of casting. For example, my Wizard 3/Sorcerer 2/Ultimate Magus 10 could give up two 2nd level sorcerer spell slots to cast Fireball (a 3rd level spell) and give up a 3rd level wizard spell slot to Maximize that fireball.

Does that answer the question?

thirdkingdom
2010-06-19, 01:11 PM
How about the other way around? Cast the fireball as a Wizard and use two second level sorcerer slots to "create" a 3rd level sorcerer spell slot? I guess I didn't phrase my original question properly.

erikun
2010-06-19, 01:25 PM
So, you mean prepare Fireball in a third level Wizard slot, then give up two 2nd level Sorcerer slots to Maximize (3rd level metamagic) the fireball?

No, it wouldn't technically work that way. Versatile Spellcaster specifically says "to cast a spell you know," so it couldn't be used to power the spell slot sacrifice for Ultimate Magus. By RAW, anyways. Of course, in might make sense anyways, so ask your DM if he would allow it.