PDA

View Full Version : Freefalling PvP

Eurus
2010-06-19, 12:53 PM
It doesn't matter how they got here. It doesn't matter why they're fighting. It doesn't matter where they got their hands on magic to teleport them both 21,000 feet above sea level. All that matters is that only one of them is walking away from this alive.

On one side of the void, a great golden dragon hovers, eyes sparking with righteous fury. Atop its gleaming back sits a human, blond-haired and blue-eyed like some Platonic archaetype of a paladin, but clad in little more than rags. He has - or more accurately had two great draconic wings, for they seem withered and scarred to uselessness from some fire. With a crude lance in one hand and an equally mundane-looking wooden shield in the other, he also glares, and levels his weapon straight at his foe.

OOC:
A map is kind of irrelevant, since we're literally just falling, so let's just keep track of it in terms of our distance from each other, and height relative to each other. We'll start out... 3d4x10 feet from each other sound good? Can't make rolls in the opening post for some reason, so why don't you roll it when you post.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 01:01 PM
[roll0]

Stepping out of a tear in reality itself, the construct of fire and ash and light looks at its opponent, tilting its head sideways, then back, considering even as it begins to fall. Slightly smaller than a human, and so slender as to be impossible in nature, its entire body is worked with intricate lines of pulsing fire and light, a lattice of unknown power. A pair of curved, bladed weapons hangs at its waist - metal, these - while a seemingly identical duo is held in its hands - identical except for the fact that they, too, are made of fire and light, as though they sprang forth from the construct's body.

"Estimated acceleration exceeds predetermined safety measures. Impact likely to cause significant collateral damage." The contruct's mouth does not open but it speaks nonetheless, a dull monotone punctuated only occasionally by a soft whhhr of blazing fire from somewhere inside it.

"Opposition displays hostile intent. Confirming... confirmed. Begin combat."

Initiative: [roll1]

Eurus
2010-06-19, 01:08 PM
(You win initiative. :smalltongue:)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 01:25 PM
"Customs of humanoid culture require formal introductions of both combatants before lethal damage is inflicted. You may refer to this representative as 'Aleph'."

That said, the construct immediately moves its hands faster than the eye can follow, forming complex patterns that would break finger bones in a human.

Observers:Swift: Haste, 3rd level Trapsmith slot, 2 round Time Stop.

Round 1:Swift: Haste, 1st level slot.

Move: Move adjacent to the dragon.

Standard 1: Activate left hand Dancing Weapon

Standard 2 (Perpetual Options): Activate right hand Dancing Weapon

Round 2:Draw both Eagle's Claws.

The construct does not seem to move to your eyes. It simply is there one moment, and the next, standing beside your dragon, metal weapons in hand, ashen ones spinning like whirling razors in a tight orbit around it.

Full-round action: Activate Robilar's Gambit, full attack, Eagle's Fury style.

Anyone can open this:All attacks are considered Lawful, Good, Epic, and Adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Dancing Weapons attacks (all target touch AC):
Weapon 1[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3] + [roll4] + an additional [roll5] if you are an outsider. If you meet this qualification, the attack and damage rolls from all subsequent weapon attacks are two points higher.
[roll6] for [roll7] + [roll8] + an additional [roll9] if you are an outsider.
[roll10] for [roll11] + [roll12] + an additional [roll13] if you are an outsider.
[roll14] for [roll15] + [roll16] + an additional [roll17] if you are an outsider.
[roll18] for [roll19] + [roll20] + an additional [roll21] if you are an outsider.

If any single one of these attacks hit:Touch attack: [roll22] for [roll23] lifestealing.

Only one of these attacks triggers this.

Weapon 2[roll24] for [roll25]
[roll26] for [roll27] + [roll28] + an additional [roll29] if you are an outsider.
[roll30] for [roll31] + [roll32] + an additional [roll33] if you are an outsider.
[roll34] for [roll35] + [roll36] + an additional [roll37] if you are an outsider.
[roll38] for [roll39] + [roll40] + an additional [roll41] if you are an outsider.
[roll42] for [roll43] + [roll44] + an additional [roll45] if you are an outsider.

If any single one of these attacks hit:Touch attack: [roll46] for [roll47] lifestealing.

Only one of these attacks triggers this.

Aleph main hand[roll48] for [roll49]
[roll50] for [roll51] + [roll52] + an additional [roll53] if you are an outsider.
[roll54] for [roll55] + [roll56] + an additional [roll57] if you are an outsider.
[roll58] for [roll59] + [roll60] + an additional [roll61] if you are an outsider.
[roll62] for [roll63] + [roll64] + an additional [roll65] if you are an outsider.
[roll66] for [roll67] + [roll68] + an additional [roll69] if you are an outsider.

Aleph off hand[roll70] for [roll71]
[roll72] for [roll73] + [roll74] + an additional [roll75] if you are an outsider.
[roll76] for [roll77] + [roll78] + an additional [roll79] if you are an outsider.
[roll80] for [roll81] + [roll82] + an additional [roll83] if you are an outsider.
[roll84] for [roll85] + [roll86] + an additional [roll87] if you are an outsider.
[roll88] for [roll89] + [roll90] + an additional [roll91] if you are an outsider.

If, or when, these attacks kill your dragon, the rest are directed at you.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 02:24 PM
The dragon's hide proves tremendously tough, and it clings to life valiantly but even so, each attack except one manages to hit and it finally falls after the 18th attack. The paladin weathers the remainder barely flinching, although several shallow gashes are opened up on his face and limbs.

With a single stern word, he raises a hand, and the dragon immediately gasps back to life, looking thoroughly enraged even as its more deadly wounds close up - it actually seems to be growing in strength through sheer fury.

"I am Seraph," he responds coolly, and gestures to his dragon to introduce it since it doesn't seem quite capable of rationality right now, "this is Aurumg'elta."

As soon as he finishes speaking, the dragon pounces into action, trying to wrench the metal weapons out of Aleph's hands and into its own maw.

Openable:
I realized that I didn't have my actions taken in the free Time Stopped round I get as combat starts in this thread, although I had them in my sheet. Here they are anyway, in case anyone else is reading this.

Observers only (Time Stopped actions):
Dragon casts True Strike, Seraph uses Righteous Fury and Divine Shield.

Also observers-only:
Dragon's Str increases by 2 for each 50 damage it was dealt, thanks to Pain Mastery. It survived over 450 damage before keeling over, so that's +18 for the rest of the encounter. One attack dodged with Mounted Combat, auto-pass on the ride check.

This round's actions:

Casting two spells (read w/Spellcraft).
Revenance (auto-quickened with Battle Blessing), and Heal Mount (standard) for 100 pts.

The dragon attempts to disarm you of your metal weapons. It has Improved Disarm, so no AoOs provoked. +4 from size cancels out -4 for using a natural weapon. If it disarms you of both/either of your non-grafted weapons, it takes them.

Disarm 1 (bite): [roll0] Concealment (1 miss, 2 hit): [roll1]
Disarm 2 (claw): [roll2] Concealment: [roll3]
Disarm 3 (claw): [roll4] Concealment: [roll5]
Disarm 4 (wing): [roll6] Concealment: [roll7]
Disarm 5 (wing): [roll8] Concealment: [roll9]
Disarm 6 (bite): [roll10] Concealment: [roll11]

(EDIT: Wow those were some bad attack rolls.)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 02:38 PM
The construct blurs, lashing out with its weapons in response to each of the dragon's attacks.

Openable:
Disarm is called out as an attack, and Robilar's Gambit gives an AoO for each.

Opposed disarms x5: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

So long as he has at least one weapon in a hand, he lashes out with the following AoO's (minimum of two)

AoOs:

[roll5] for [roll6] + [roll7] + [roll8] and another 2 damage if outsider

[roll9] for [roll10] + [roll11] + [roll12] and another 2 damage if outsider

[roll13] for [roll14] + [roll15] + [roll16] and another 2 damage if outsider

[roll17] for [roll18] + [roll19] + [roll20] and another 2 damage if outsider

[roll21] for [roll22] + [roll23] + [roll24] and another 2 damage if outsider

[roll25] for [roll26] + [roll27] + [roll28] and another 2 damage if outsider

Status of dragon?

Eurus
2010-06-19, 03:16 PM
Openable:
Dragon's status: Alive, and holding both of your non-dancing weapons as of disarm #4. I didn't include the bonus to hit from Robilar's Gambit since I wasn't sure if disarming counted, but apparently it does. :smallwink: So disarms #3 and #4 both work, meaning that you get 3 AoOs. Also, for your future convenience, both myself and my dragon are outsiders.

Finally, it seems once again to get even angrier (and by extension stronger) when you hit it a few times.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 03:23 PM
The construct tilts its head this way and that, looking at its weapons.

"Opponent ceases to follow proper dueling etiquette. Restoring status quo."

Swift: Cast a spell, spellcraft to identify.

Observers:Haste, 2nd level, one round Time Stop.

Time Stop:Grab Dancing weapons, move down 120 feet. Activate Anticipatory Simulation Processor.

Attempt to balance on a cloud: [roll0]

Continued in following post.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 03:35 PM
Observers:Brain fart. Make that a 3rd level haste, two round time stop. I forgot something incredibly obvious.

Time stop, round two:Activate Metalline property of both weapons, changing them to silver.

The construct vanishes from sight yet again. You catch sight of it a hundred and twenty feet below you, feet of ash and light perched atop the many thousand droplets of water making up a thin, stream-like cloud. It holds the weapons of ash again, poised to throw.

It leaps upwards, spinning backwards in a quick series of tight backflips, tucking its body together until it seems no larger than a child's ball. Hands flash with impossible accuracy, flinging its weapons at your dragon, then taking hold of them again as they return, bouncing off of its hide, only to throw again, and again, and again.

Finally it lands, feet spreading the cloud wider, but still resting atop its unlikely perch.

Openable:Weapons now count as silver in addition to the other damage types. These are ranged attacks, which I presume triggers one of your abilities. Regardless, unless it holds them totally immobile, they return to Aleph's hands after the attacks are made. All attacks target touch AC.

Attacks vs your dragon, then you if it falls.

Main hand:

[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5] + [roll6] + [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9] + [roll10] + [roll11]
[roll12] for [roll13] + [roll14] + [roll15]
[roll16] for [roll17] + [roll18] + [roll19]
[roll20] for [roll21] + [roll22] + [roll23]

Off hand:

[roll24] for [roll25] + [roll26] + [roll27]
[roll28] for [roll29] + [roll30] + [roll31]
[roll32] for [roll33] + [roll34] + [roll35]
[roll36] for [roll37] + [roll38] + [roll39]
[roll40] for [roll41] + [roll42] + [roll43]
[roll44] for [roll45] + [roll46] + [roll47]

Eurus
2010-06-19, 03:40 PM
Er, you rolled 1d20 for your damage. Typo? I hope? :smalleek:

Jarian
2010-06-19, 03:58 PM
:smallsigh:

Openable:Oh god brain fail. +27 to all of those. :smallredface:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Edit, observers:Hm. I have an extra Standard I'm not taking. Whoops.

Ready action to cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere if he attacks Aleph.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 04:47 PM
All but one of the attacks scour the dragon's flesh, leaving it to finally succumb to death on the very last blow. But Seraph simply commands the beast to rise again, and rise it does, bristling with fury.

"That hurt. Let's see how you like it."

Lightning-fast, it streaks across the clouds to Aleph's cloud and unleashes a torrent of biting, clawing, wing-beating rage.

OOC:
Spells:
Swift action Revenance, standard action Righteous Fury.

Other:
Dragon activates Travel Devotion.

I'm assuming that you're an outsider, since Vow of Poverty would make you one.

Bite: [roll0] Concealment: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Claw 1: [roll4] Concealment: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + [roll7]

Claw 2: [roll8] Concealment: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] + [roll11]

Wing 1: [roll12] Concealment: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] + [roll15]

Wing 2: [roll16] Concealment: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18] + [roll19]

Tail slap: [roll20] Concealment: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22] + [roll23]

EDIT: Great. This time it's the concealment rolls that flop. >_>

Jarian
2010-06-19, 04:48 PM
"Error in opponent's calculations. Resilient Sphere."

Openable:Aleph casts Resilent Sphere before you attack him it. Do you want to change anything?

Edit: Centered on Aleph.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 04:51 PM
I assume the sphere is surrounding Aleph, since surrounding me would allow a reflex save? Then yeah, change of plans. No attacks.

Spell:
Dragon casts True Strike.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 04:57 PM
"Opposition proves resilient. Proceeding with previous threat-reduction procedures."

Standard: Dismiss Resilient Sphere.

Swift, cast a spell (guess which one!).

Obersevers:Haste, 2nd level, 1 round Time Stop.

Time Stop:Activate Law Devotion, AC.

Move 160 feet down, attempt to balance on another cloud: [roll0]

Continued in next post.

Jarian
2010-06-19, 05:03 PM
Aleph disappears again, reappearing a hundred and sixty feet below you, balanced with inhuman precision atop another thin, misty cloud.

"Previous encounters with similar individuals dictate that your resources will run out first."

With that, Aleph spins in place, hands and blades moving so fast as to seem a constant stream of fire and light flowing between it and the dragon. When the torrent at last stops, Aleph crouches low, feet spread wide to support its weight atop that which should support nothing of the sort.

Openable:
Touch attacks again, against the dragon, then the rider if it falls. Epic, Lawful, Good, Magic, Silver, Adamantine.

[roll20] for [roll21] + [roll22] + [roll23]

[roll44] for [roll45] + [roll46] + [roll47]

Eurus
2010-06-19, 06:04 PM
(Quick question - do you have any good way to tell the difference between "dying" and "dead"?)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 06:14 PM
(Uh... without metagaming? No. But if the dragon isn't doing anything, it's as good as dead.)

Eurus
2010-06-19, 07:19 PM
(Figured as much.)

The dragon groans and goes down yet again - something of a habit for it, as of late - and the paladin takes another barrage of painful blows. And this time it does not rise. "Perhaps you are correct. But perhaps not."

Spell:
True Strike as a swift action.

Observers only:
Shifting shield's weapon enhancement bonus to AC with Defending. Lay on Hands myself for 160 as a standard.

Taking 30 damage, so my attacks this round do an extra 60.

Your turn. Let's see how this goes...

Jarian
2010-06-19, 08:20 PM
The construct brings its feet together, plummeting through the cloud as it does so, and hurls another flurry of attacks at the paladin. Below, the vast ocean grows ever nearer, each of the attacks bringing both the construct and its opponent closer to the certainty that, one way or another, this will end soon enough.

Openable:
All attacks vs the paladin, targeting touch AC.

[roll20] Edit: That should be +34, not +44 for [roll21] + [roll22] + [roll23]

[roll44] Edit: That should be +34, not +44 for [roll45] + [roll46] + [roll47]

Observers:Ready action to cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere if he attacks.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 08:44 PM
(...Hmm. You may or may not still have a standard action left.)

Spells:
Heal Mount, True Strike

(My dragon gets up and takes a swipe at you - possibly continuing into a full attack, depending on results. Should I bother rolling? :smalltongue: Don't worry, I'll write an actual narration for my turn when I figure that out.)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 09:06 PM
(Thinking, or was I supposed to open that to see what happens?)

Eurus
2010-06-19, 09:11 PM
(Sorry, forgot to label that. It's viewable.)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 09:20 PM
"Tactical errors continue. Resilient Sphere."

Eurus
2010-06-19, 09:46 PM
(Gah. I'm in serious trouble here. There's nowhere within 10,000 feet to get out of the line of fire, I can't possibly get my touch AC high enough to dodge more than maybe two of your attacks at best, I can't ready an action to charge, you can full attack me and ready an action... I have no way to keep you from just full attacking me every round, and your 50% concealment means that I can't match you head-on in a slugfest. I think I'm pretty much beat. Activating Burn Life to take 30 damage to boost my own by 60, I suppose.)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 09:56 PM
(I can build another with more sane PrCs if you like. It's not so much the ranger as the swiftblade that's being played here, really.)

Eurus
2010-06-19, 10:00 PM
(Heh. It's 2-on-1 in my favor, and you're still out-actioning me! :smalltongue: Although really, the mount's fairly useless since I'm not an all-out supermount build. Anything that dies in one full attack is literally more trouble than it's worth. I was counting on it to be able to contribute. ...Also, I may want to change my destiny to something I can get some use out of. >_>

Anyway, I'll concede this fight, and graciously accept a rematch if you're offering one.)

Jarian
2010-06-19, 10:11 PM
Sure thing.

...can I play a Truenamer? :smallbiggrin:

Oh, wait, VoP. Damn.

Edit: Hey, guess what? I just realized that I forgot to factor in my Favored Enemy: Native Outsiders. :smalltongue:

Eurus
2010-06-19, 10:15 PM
Heh. Tailoring your build against mine? :smalltongue:

...Then again, I did spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to specifically slash your damage output before I thought "oh, hey, I can just half-disarm him. His destiny only lets him grow two weapons at a time." Can't disarm those ones, though, since even when they're not attached to your hands they still count as grafted. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: As for Truenamers, how about no? Gatespam? :smalltongue:

Jarian
2010-06-19, 10:16 PM
Not against you, just against VoP. I was done before you were even starting, I think. :smalltongue:

Any objections to me playing an Adept?

Edit: Gatespam? Nooooo, I would never do that. That would be unfair and unsporting!

Yeah, okay, I was thinking Gatespam.

Eurus
2010-06-19, 10:19 PM
Adept is fine. I may take Knight, in that case (I'm somewhat surprised that it's considered tier 5, I always considered it about Barbarian level).