PDA

View Full Version : [4E, Dark Sun] Bloodsand Arena - Free RPG Day 2010

Flickerdart
2010-06-19, 01:59 PM
So, since WotC was giving away free 4E stuff, I thought that I would finally go and try out a proper adventure. There were only four players (out of an expected six), so the battles were quite tough. I was the Half-Giant Fighter, and their racial power saved me from certain death. Of course, in the third encounter, I was knocked into the negatives twice by some absurdly powerful monsters, and so was the Warlock. If this is the tone that Dark Sun sets, then it will readily dispel the notion of 4E coddling players.

The map that you get is pretty kick-ass, so if your FLGS has some left, then go pick them up. Now. For those of you that did - what did you think?

Pink
2010-06-19, 02:01 PM
4e coddles players? I've heard most of wizards 4e mods have ungodly tough fights in them.

That being said...Dark Sun :smallcool:

Matthew
2010-06-19, 02:10 PM
Aw, man, today is Free RPG Day? Oh well... next time.

Kurald Galain
2010-06-20, 01:21 PM
4e coddles players? I've heard most of wizards 4e mods have ungodly tough fights in them.
LFR covers the majority of 4E modes available, and has quite the reputation for being easy.

Pink
2010-06-20, 01:25 PM
I was more-so referring to the published pay money for modules. Like keep on the shadowfell and such. To be fair I haven't heard anything about Living Forgotten Realms, but if it's anything like Greyhawk, then yeah it would be easier I suppose.

Gralamin
2010-06-20, 01:30 PM
The map that you get is pretty kick-ass, so if your FLGS has some left, then go pick them up. Now. For those of you that did - what did you think?
I didn't play it, but I did pick it up. It looked quite nice. Maybe I should run it on the IRC.

Swordgleam
2010-06-20, 01:56 PM

That being said...Dark Sun :smallcool:

There aren't save-or-dies and it's pretty easy for KOed PCs to get right back up again if their party has any kind of teamwork, so you could see that as coddling. You're a lot less likely to have a PC die if a TPK isn't happening, in my experience. Only PC death my party had was very nearly a TPK, and someone would probably have healed that character if they weren't pissed at him.

Doesn't mean fights can't be hard, though.

Totally Guy
2010-06-20, 02:48 PM
Someone tried to give me a copy of this but I ended up being rude by mistake. :frown:

"I've fallen out with 4E since that time I played in your game.":sigh:

*head desk*

I was intending to make friends there too.