PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4th Ed] Disabling Auras

Thajocoth
2010-06-19, 02:48 PM
What effects disable auras? Prior to a recent White Dragon fight, I didn't know auras could be shut off, but we kept dazing it and that kept it's aura off.

Is it just dazed that does it? Would dominate or stunned do it too?

Also, can a creature CHOOSE to turn their aura off/on? If so, what sort of action is it? (Free I would think, but would not be surprised by Minor.)

I ask because my character has an aura. It'd be nice to know the mechanics of dealing with my own character...

Meta
2010-06-19, 03:02 PM
What effects disable auras? Prior to a recent White Dragon fight, I didn't know auras could be shut off, but we kept dazing it and that kept it's aura off.

Also, can a creature CHOOSE to turn their aura off/on? If so, what sort of action is it? (Free I would think, but would not be surprised by Minor.)

I ask because my character has an aura. It'd be nice to know the mechanics of dealing with my own character...

From the MM:
Aura: An aura is a continuous effect that affects all squares
within the listed range of the originating creature’s space. An
aura does not affect the originating creature unless the text
specifies otherwise, and effects imposed by an aura last until
the end of the affected creatures’ next turn unless otherwise
stated.
A creature can drop its aura or reactivate it as a minor
action.
A creature usually suffers the effects of an aura at the start
of its turn, upon entering the aura, or both, as noted in the
aura’s description.
Similar aura effects do not stack unless otherwise noted.
For example, a creature that starts its turn in two auras, one
that deals 5 cold damage and another that deals 10 cold
damage, takes 10 cold damage.
An aura does not affect a creature that cannot be targeted
by attacks that require line of effect. For example, a creature
encased by the wizard’s ice tomb power is immune to aura
effects.

The only thing I know offhand that subdue auras is the aura killer weapon. (Wotc is real creative with names right?)
Sounds like your DM houseruled this

Mando Knight
2010-06-19, 03:19 PM

Dazing, stunning, etc. by RAW do not disable auras, which are passive abilities... non-actions. Except the ones that specifically cause extra actions *glares at Needlefang Drakes*. Only specific abilities, such as the aforementioned Aura-Killer Weapon, will forcibly shut off an aura.

Thajocoth
2010-06-19, 03:35 PM
Sounds like your DM houseruled this

It was the party's Psion that pointed it out... And he runs another game... So either he rolled an excellent Bluff check against the DM, or there's some merit to this somewhere. It's starting to sound like the former... (He'd never purposely make up houserules, so he must think it's correct for some reason regardless.)

Knowing that I can turn my aura on/off as a minor is great. My aura gives off bright light. Not fun the three times I attempted to stealth...

Aron Times
2010-06-19, 03:40 PM
Banishing the target to a demiplane, as with the Planeshifter's encounter power, can temporarily "disable" an aura. It also has the side effect of ending sustained powers, as the target no longer has line of sight to it.

Other than the abovementioned aura killer weapon, the best way to deal with an aura is to stay out of its range. Have the defender lock down the target and let the rest of the party stay back so as to minimize the negative effects of the target's aura.

Nightson
2010-06-19, 06:07 PM
Also, they errata'd auras so that the damage stacks.