PDA

View Full Version : Exalted: Alchemical help

golentan
2010-06-19, 02:55 PM
Okay, I'm drawing up my second exalted character ever, my first unsupervised, my first "Celestial," and my first alchemical. And I had a few questions.

Firstly, Character Questions: Essence. I was given to understand Alchemicals typically had less than "other" celestials. But when all is said and done I find myself with Essence 2 and a pool of 62 (15 personal, 47 peripheral). IE more than the average starting Essence for an Essence 4 solar. I had spent my bonus points mostly boosting virtues, and mote calculations for alchemicals seem to reward this (Willpower to everything, highest virtue repeatedly, etc. etc), but this seems a little off.

Second: Does it really work with the charms having attribute requirements but no ability requirements that I can have a perfect dodge charm with no points in dodge?

Third: What are the best Attribute Augmentations to purchase in general/in specific cases? I'm an appearance/manipulation focused social monster (unnatural influence everywhere, destroy/create intimacies, effective appearance 7 for social encounters, maximum appearance MDV modifier bonuses raised to 6, etc. etc).

Fourth: Is building an array the only way for Alchemicals to get non-martial arts combos?

Fifth: What does starmetal actually look like? I can't find a description anywhere.

Next, Artifacts: First: It says each dot in artifact provides 3 dots worth of artifacts, but it doesn't give the same limit that it does in the Dragon Blood book (I.E. you can only have artifacts of value equal to or lower than your dots in the background). I assume this is oversight?

Second: It says an Essence Capacitor can be used to power devices normally taking a hearthstone. Does this include a hearthstone amulet (to get the bonuses thereof)? Does it include a skinmount amulet (thus gaining twice it's rating as bonus to peripheral pool)?

Third: Are Skinmounts concealed by the use of the charm Integrated Artifact Transmogrifier? It only specifies external charms, but it also seems it might work well with a Biotech Artifact, so...

GryffonDurime
2010-06-19, 03:48 PM
Okay, I'm drawing up my second exalted character ever, my first unsupervised, my first "Celestial," and my first alchemical. And I had a few questions.
Essence. I was given to understand Alchemicals typically had less than "other" celestials. But when all is said and done I find myself with Essence 2 and a pool of 62 (15 personal, 47 peripheral). IE more than the average starting Essence for an Essence 4 solar. I had spent my bonus points mostly boosting virtues, and mote calculations for alchemicals seem to reward this (Willpower to everything, highest virtue repeatedly, etc. etc), but this seems a little off.

Yeah, and every Charm you install is going to suck up 1-3 motes of your Personal Essence. Alchemicals attune to their Charms almost like Artifacts. That's where the Essence goes.

Second: Does it really work with the charms having attribute requirements but no ability requirements that I can have a perfect dodge charm with no points in dodge?

Does what it says on the box. You perfectly dodge it by being super-dexterous, not by being particularly good at getting out of the way of things.

Fourth: Is building an array the only way for Alchemicals to get non-martial arts combos?

Yep.

Fifth: What does starmetal actually look like? I can't find a description anywhere.

It looks like steel, but it has a rainbow sheen not unlike that of oil. It is by far the most subdued of the magical materials in appearance.

First: It says each dot in artifact provides 3 dots worth of artifacts, but it doesn't give the same limit that it does in the Dragon Blood book (I.E. you can only have artifacts of value equal to or lower than your dots in the background). I assume this is oversight?

It is not an oversight. One dot in Artifact can get you a 3-dot Artifact.

Second: It says an Essence Capacitor can be used to power devices normally taking a hearthstone. Does this include a hearthstone amulet (to get the bonuses thereof)? Does it include a skinmount amulet (thus gaining twice it's rating as bonus to peripheral pool)?

Mmm...yes. But you still have the time limit of the Essence Capacitor.

golentan
2010-06-19, 04:36 PM
Yeah, and every Charm you install is going to suck up 1-3 motes of your Personal Essence. Alchemicals attune to their Charms almost like Artifacts. That's where the Essence goes.

Yes, but that's still more essence than I'm used to being able to throw around, even if it is mostly peripheral. Or thought I'd be able to, for that matter. When all is said and done with artifacts and charms, I've still got 59 motes when push comes to shove, and all manner of interesting things to do with it all...

Does what it says on the box. You perfectly dodge it by being super-dexterous, not by being particularly good at getting out of the way of things.

Great.

Yep.

Darn. I was hoping that those "Combo-OK" keywords were good for something.

It looks like steel, but it has a rainbow sheen not unlike that of oil. It is by far the most subdued of the magical materials in appearance.

It is not an oversight. One dot in Artifact can get you a 3-dot Artifact.

Mmm...yes. But you still have the time limit of the Essence Capacitor.

Cool. I figured, but essence respiration is useful and the bonus motes'll be handy all around.

Thanks for the help.