PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Bus Trip

Coidzor
2010-06-19, 02:57 PM
So... I'm gonna go on one of dems this coming saturday. That is, next saturday.

So, I was wondering what you all had to recommend to take with me.

Here's what I was thinking so far. (I'm going with a friend so there's a bit more extra storage capacity for things to make the trip survivable as opposed to just getting me and my stuff there)

Ostensibly the trip is to last about 2 days and 15 minutes.

Foodwise:
Jar of peanut butter
Crackers to go with peanut butter/tuna (how many packages? a single box of ritz with the 3 wrapped tubes?)
2-4 bags of waterpacked tuna (possibly with some scrounged mayo/relish/mustard packets for tuna salad)
trail mix made more out of nuts than raw carbs
some beef jerky

Partially I suspect I'll be able to get fat & protein cheaper(ish) when doing a stop over thanks to the wonders of fast food and dollar menus.

Drinkwise: Was thinking about getting 2-3 of those >1 Pint, <1 Liter gatorade containers and taking along a thing of packets of instant lemonade and/or tea and refilling the gatorade containers as necessary.

Probably overkill, might not be. I sometimes get dry mouth due to my allergies and interactions between them and my anti-allergy meds.

This was more for just me, so double for the both of us, or he'll do it differently, dunno.

Medswise: Already have:

Anti-diarrheal pills
Anti-histamines and decongestants
ibuprofen

Think I need:
more general indigestion/digestive difficulty stuff (viz. pepto, maybe malox/gas-x?)
motion sickness wossnames

Anything I'm forgetting that you'd like to nominate or caveats/addendums/refinements to offer to what I've already worked out?

My dad suggested getting a large plastic ziplock bag and storing a washcloth and some witch hazel or seabreeze in there for use as a shower in a bag.

thubby
2010-06-19, 04:33 PM
coke. maybe just a can. but if you need to be up, it's caffeine, if you need to settle your stomach, bam.

Lev
2010-06-19, 04:38 PM
Depends what country you intend to cross.

I recommend earplugs and some way of changing your clothes regularly, long bus trips make clothes smell like death.

Brewdude
2010-06-19, 06:27 PM
Don't forget your ipod and some audiobook.

2010-06-20, 05:54 AM
a katana is never out of place.
cell phones are good too if you remember to turn off ringing or just all incoming calls and keep it somewhere safe.
anti-smelliness stuff to place under your arms and other areas of general unpleasantness?

Hazkali
2010-06-20, 08:38 AM
Hand sanitiser gel and wet-wipes will be useful if you've not got regular access to running water. Definitely take an antiperspirant deodorant. Earplugs and a sleep mask might be useful for the nights.

Coidzor
2010-06-20, 02:41 PM
Hand sanitiser gel and wet-wipes will be useful if you've not got regular access to running water. Definitely take an antiperspirant deodorant. Earplugs and a sleep mask might be useful for the nights.

Ahh, good point that. Probably more compact than witch hazel or seabreeze and more generally applicable.

Got the earplugs but totally forgot sleep masks. And I don't think any of my deodorant is antiperspirant, so I should take care of that too.

Spent about 38 dollars yesterday on a combination of food (granola bars, some cereal to make a trail mix with, bag packages of salmon and tuna, 4-6 varieties of those instant drink packets, some jerky) and medicine (alka-seltzer, some vapor-rub/camphor in case of something really foul smelling being around, pepto-bismol). And a smallish styrofoam ice chest that might come in handy or might just be left at home.

The bus trip is from the West Coast of the US, over the Rockies, through Colorado, and on to the eastern side of the Midwest.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-06-20, 02:44 PM
The bus trip is from the West Coast of the US, over the Rockies, through Colorado, and on to the eastern side of the Midwest.

If the Rockies are anywhere as epic as Kicking Horse pass, on the Canadian side, then that should be epicly awesome.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-20, 04:15 PM
Rope. Always. Bring. Rope.

Coidzor
2010-06-20, 05:37 PM
If the Rockies are anywhere as epic as Kicking Horse pass, on the Canadian side, then that should be epicly awesome.

Well, last time my best friend went over the rockies in the direction we'll be going, the bus had to stop and turn around and go back before it reached the next stop due to some problem or another, the next time they were with a driver who had already learned he was fired but was still driving this last bus over, and then the bus caught fire (in the back on the A/C part) and had to stop and then get them all picked up by another bus. Either that or when it caught fire they had to get out and wait for the fire to get taken care of and then they had to drive back over the rockies due to where it needed to go to get fixed...