PDA

View Full Version : Portal -Is it worth it?

waterpenguin43
2010-06-19, 03:38 PM
Hello once again, oh wise Playground.

I'm thinking of buying Portal, and I've heard good things about it, not to mention the fact that it looks awesome.

However, is it as awesome as I think it is?
Tell me, playground, does Portal live up to the hype?
Also, even if it doesn't, is it still worth buying?

Thanks.

Khosan
2010-06-19, 03:40 PM
Yes.Tenten

arguskos
2010-06-19, 03:41 PM
*prepares to be flamed*

Yes. Portal is very very enjoyable. I absolutely loved it, and don't regret having bought it. HOWEVER I personally feel it is not, as the hype said, "the best thing since Pong" or somesuch.

If you have the cash, totally go for it. It's very much worth playing. :smallsmile:

leafman
2010-06-19, 03:42 PM
If you are looking to get it for PC, don't buy it, you get it free when you download Steam.:smallwink:

late edit: sorry don't really pay attention much to those sorts of things, I had no idea it was only a limited time offer. :smallredface:

Rutskarn
2010-06-19, 03:44 PM
If you are looking to get it for PC, don't buy it, you get it free when you download Steam.:smallwink:

Nnnno, I think that actually passed. That was a temporary deal, wasn't it?

Mando Knight
2010-06-19, 03:44 PM

Didn't that promotion end May 24th?

Portal's short, but good. Depending on how you view $20, it could be worth it. It's roughly bargain-bin value by length, but the gameplay is innovative and clever. It's clearly a puzzle game, though, so if that's not a genre you're interested in, it's only worth it if you're planning a trip to four weeks ago anyway.

Talvara
2010-06-19, 03:45 PM
yes, its a good and innovative game. I'd say a must have

(originally I was just going to post "yes" but that was to short)

SparkMandriller
2010-06-19, 03:46 PM
You're like a month late, dude.

AlterForm
2010-06-19, 03:47 PM
$20 is probably the outer limit I would assign to Portal's value as a game, despite its incredible awesomeness.

What is super-incredibly-worth-it, on the other hand, is the Orange Box, which includes Portal, the HL2 series, and America's #1 war-themed hat simulator for just 10 bucks more than Portal alone.

Gamerlord
2010-06-19, 03:48 PM
In one word. Yes. In more words. YES,YES, YES!

Worira
2010-06-19, 03:50 PM
I would second the "get The Orange Box instead". It's a ridiculously good deal.

Mando Knight
2010-06-19, 03:51 PM
What is super-incredibly-worth-it, on the other hand, is the Orange Box, which includes Portal, the HL2 series, and America's #1 war-themed hat simulator for just 10 bucks more than Portal alone.

The war-themed hat simulator and HL2 are also each worth roughly $20 a piece, just so you know.

Except that I have still yet to get a hat. :smallannoyed:

Faleldir
2010-06-19, 04:07 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with Portal as a puzzle game. There are many visual cues in the lighting, graffiti, checkered floors, etc. designed to make the player look in certain directions, and IMHO it made 2/3 of the game feel like one long tutorial. Even the boss room had a "shoot here" sign.

Dogmantra
2010-06-19, 04:22 PM
I found the portal mechanic started to get a bit boring late in the game, but it's well worth playing for the story and the writing, plus it's nice and short so you don't get too bored if you do find the portal mechanic boring by the end.

Jahkaivah
2010-06-19, 04:25 PM
No

The game is not worth getting.

Even though loads of people loved the game, and it won several industry awards it's not worth getting.

Even though it's part of a price cut box set with 4 other great games one of which many of us havn't bored of after nearly 3 years it's not worth getting.

Even when it was FREE at one point it wasn't worth getting.

It's a good job you made this thread, otherwise we would never have had a chance to warn you about the Bubonic plague that is inflicted on all who play it.

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-19, 04:26 PM
I found the portal mechanic started to get a bit boring late in the game, but it's well worth playing for the story and the writing, plus it's nice and short so you don't get too bored if you do find the portal mechanic boring by the end.

Thankfully, they ended the game right around that point.

I would also agree to get the Orange Box.

Anyway, Hammer Portal-fan Time.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, armadillo, yes, yes, maybe, yes, only on Tuesdays, yes, yes, yes, yes, and true.

Dogmantra
2010-06-19, 04:28 PM
It's a good job you made this thread, otherwise we would never have had a chance to warn you about the Bubonic plague that is inflicted on all who play it.

Look, stop making amazing posts or I will be forced to find out where you live, go to your house and deliver you a special package.

The package will be a hug.

Zordrath
2010-06-19, 04:28 PM
My advice would be to just check out the free demo for yourself and form your own opinion :smallsmile:

Personally, I think Portal is a fantastic game with highly innovative gameplay and some great writing, making for one of the most unique gaming experiences I've had so far. It is, however, very short even for its low price point (I bought it during a sale for just 3,50), so if you're planning to buy it at full price, I would second the recommendations for the Orange Box. It's probably the best bang for your buck deal on the gaming market, especially considering that Team Fortress 2 is still being supported and expanded. All the games are very different, but each at the top of their respective classes, so it's money well spent.

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-19, 04:30 PM
The package will be a hug.

Very hug. So hug you cannot imagine it. Yes, the hug package will be hug.

Hug package.

Jahkaivah
2010-06-19, 04:36 PM
Very hug. So hug you cannot imagine it. Yes, the hug package will be hug.

Hug package.

One hug ass package.

Winthur
2010-06-19, 04:46 PM
One hug ass package.

Delivered by an old hug.

Eldan
2010-06-19, 04:57 PM
My opinion: it's entertaining, but not as much as people say it is.

Pros:
Humorous
Nice graphics
Impressive physics
Interesting puzzles

Contra:
Very short. I got through in two evenings after school.
Too Easy. There are few puzzles you won't get on your second try. I would have liked harder puzzles.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-19, 05:07 PM

No idea!

Hell no.

Yes. Most certainly.

Crispy Dave
2010-06-19, 05:14 PM
Buy it now. actually. Buy it 3 times. or buy the orange box.

Eloi
2010-06-19, 05:24 PM
Y'know what Yahtzee, that really negative video game critic, said about it?

"Absolutely sublime from start to finish, and I will jam forks into my eyes if I use those words to describe anything ever again. Yeah, I know it's not very funny to love a game, but **** you. Portal's great, and if you don't think so you must be stupid!"

I don't usually agree with him, but Portal was really fun.

chiasaur11
2010-06-19, 05:42 PM
Not entirely.

If only because, for just ten bucks more, you get a ton more game. Get the Orange Box.

I mean, on its own...

Who am I kidding. Yes.

Scorpionica
2010-06-19, 06:09 PM

Obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs).

But as others have said, get the Orange Box. Totally worth every penny and farthing.

chiasaur11
2010-06-19, 07:00 PM
Obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs).

But as others have said, get the Orange Box. Totally worth every penny and farthing.

Presumably, even M. Bison feels bad about incinerating the companion cube. But Chell doesn't. That monster.

Knaight
2010-06-19, 07:04 PM
As part of the orange box, it is very much worth it, however it does not live up to the hype. Sure, its a good game, but part of the reason it is loved so much is because it did something differently than normal. As someone who routinely plays odd indie games, I can state that plenty of other games do things differently than normal too, and really, that 20 bucks for portal buys 3-5 hours of game. Pay 20 bucks for another puzzle game, DROD: Journey to Rooted hold and buy 3-5 hundred hours of game. Though that particular game can get frustrating in its difficulty, while Portal really can't.

KBF
2010-06-19, 07:26 PM
why are there so many posts jeezus skip'd

Portal -Is it worth it?

...Yes.

The whole orange box is for 10 dollars more. But Portal.. ohmygod Yes.

Too easy? Too short? It's a brilliant experience from right at the beginning to the very last second. It's short and easy so there is no part to dislike. Also.. Test Chamber 18.

chiasaur11
2010-06-19, 07:27 PM
As part of the orange box, it is very much worth it, however it does not live up to the hype. Sure, its a good game, but part of the reason it is loved so much is because it did something differently than normal. As someone who routinely plays odd indie games, I can state that plenty of other games do things differently than normal too, and really, that 20 bucks for portal buys 3-5 hours of game. Pay 20 bucks for another puzzle game, DROD: Journey to Rooted hold and buy 3-5 hundred hours of game. Though that particular game can get frustrating in its difficulty, while Portal really can't.

True, a lot of games do something different.

But most of them, with all due respect, have rough edges. Lots of them.

Not many games are as funny, as polished, and only one I can think of has anywhere near as good a song.

Portal is praised, not just because it did something different, but because it did something different almost perfectly.

Dogmantra
2010-06-19, 07:32 PM
Portal is praised, not just because it did something different, but because it did something different almost perfectly.

Key word here: praised. Lots of things are hyped. Most new stuff is hyped. It's because it's new and fresh and super amazing and the developers want you to buy it. Often, the hype dies down. You can actually walk around the internet now without stumbling over people who are telling you that the Wii is the be all and end all of console gaming before it's even released. However, you can't walk around the internet without stumbling over people who would sell their firstborn child rather than give up Portal, mostly because you can't walk around the internet full stop but also because they're not hyping - they're praising. They don't want you to buy it because it'll help Valve; Valve have more than enough money from the success of their other games. They want you to buy it because it's bloody brilliant.

Cogwheel
2010-06-19, 11:20 PM
So. Get the Orange Box instead.

As for Portal itself, well, it's a simple question. And that question is as follows: Do you hate fun? How much do you hate fun?

If you don't, get it. If you do, well, get it anyway.

Flame of Anor
2010-06-20, 02:47 AM
As for Portal itself, well, it's a simple question. And that question is as follows: Do you hate fun? How much do you hate fun?

If you don't, get it. If you do, well, get it anyway.

:biggrin:

Nice way of putting it.

But yeah, do get the Orange Box. Half-Life 2 is amazing. (Not least because of Alyx...:smallredface:)

chiasaur11
2010-06-20, 02:52 AM
:biggrin:

Nice way of putting it.

But yeah, do get the Orange Box. Half-Life 2 is amazing. (Not least because of Alyx...:smallredface:)

Most because of D0g.

Lets face it. We all love D0g.

2010-06-20, 04:18 AM
it was free for a bit last month, should have picked it up then.

and no its not as good as you say it is, its much much better*, it absolutely lives up to the hype**

its genuinely creative original, also delicious and moist; unlike this sentence.

*except for replay value, puzzle games always have that problem.
**as unbelievable as that is for any product, keep in mind it won like seventy game of the year awards and techwise it did not provoke an "omgsoshinynewtechbignumbersandwordsidontunderstand nexttowordslikebitandpixel-musthave!" reaction at its time of launch; the engine it used had been out for a while i think.

Forbiddenwar
2010-06-20, 12:44 PM
Do you like cake? I understand there is cake at the end. :smallbiggrin:

The best praise I can give Portal is that I will be buying portal 2 the moment it comes out, sight unseen and even if it drops in price $40 the next day, I will still be happy.

I've never preordered a game before besides SC2.

Aidan305
2010-06-20, 12:55 PM
I have played portal once. It was an immensely fulfilling experience.

Yes, it doesn't live up to the hype. Few things do. But that doesn't change the fact that it's an amazing game well worth playing.

Mawhrin Skel
2010-06-20, 01:16 PM
I wasn't all that impressed with Portal as a puzzle game. There are many visual cues in the lighting, graffiti, checkered floors, etc. designed to make the player look in certain directions, and IMHO it made 2/3 of the game feel like one long tutorial. Even the boss room had a "shoot here" sign.

*except for replay value, puzzle games always have that problem.

Very short. I got through in two evenings after school.

And have you completed all the challenges - least number of portals, steps, time for each section? No? Then what are you complaining about?

The story mode is short and easy. The challenges not so much.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-20, 01:31 PM
Concerning the Orange Box:

Huh... sounds interesting, but do you have to pay monthly (or something) to keep playing Team Fortress 2 online? :smallconfused:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jahkaivah
2010-06-20, 01:32 PM
Concerning the Orange Box:

Huh... sounds interesting, but do you have to pay monthly (or something) to keep playing Team Fortress 2 online? :smallconfused:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

Once brought, Team Fortress 2 is free to play, free and fluffy.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-20, 01:35 PM
You're wrong.

Okay then. Ignore that last point then.

However, on a scale of 1 to 10 for horror, how scary is Half-Life 2? :smallconfused:

(1 being Simpsons Halloween specials, 10 being the most horrifying thing on the planet.)

Jahkaivah
2010-06-20, 01:38 PM
Okay then. Ignore that last point then.

However, on a scale of 1 to 10 for horror, how scary is Half-Life 2? :smallconfused:

(1 being Simpsons Halloween specials, 10 being the most horrifying thing on the planet.)

Not a very scary game really, I would say the fast zombies could get a 5 at best. Otherwise it's probably a 2/3.

Dogmantra
2010-06-20, 01:40 PM
And have you completed all the challenges - least number of portals, steps, time for each section? No? Then what are you complaining about?

The fact that the challenges are pure puzzle-ness and lots of people play the game mostly for the amazing writing and atmosphere?

Ikialev
2010-06-20, 01:53 PM
Portal is not worth your money, buy Orange Box and pretend that Portal was for free.

Trixie
2010-06-20, 05:21 PM
Uh... I thought Portal sucks.

Until I actually played it due to that 'free' scheme, that is.

So... as already others mentioned, writing is great. 'Still Alive' is one huge CMoA. There's lots of great ideas here. I loved it. But...

To have an objective opinion, let me point out three colossal flaws of that game:

It's short. Really. It can be finished in about 3 hours, once you know all the tricks. To be honest, you'll want to finish it at least twice, once for story, second time, for 'commentary mode'.

Which, incidentally, was the part of the game I loved most, but I have a feeling these bastards hid some comments in hidden places and I missed them.

By the way, I feel such mode should be obligatory in virtually every good game.

Second, replayability after these two times really suffers. Story mode is too short and easy, extra missions...

Well, suffer from the very same problem as some riddles in the story mode.

They suck, big time.

When I read 'puzzle game', I expect them to test my mind, not my fingers. Really, what's the point of something that relies on 'place shot precisely within these two pixels, then immediately shot the other three pixels, or redo last 5 minutes'? That's not a puzzle game anymore, that's pure arcade. Plus, their execution is poor, to say the least. The 'least steps' will sometimes randomly give you more steps, does not recognize player isn't moving, but the platform beneath his feet is, and gives steps at double rate, the 'least time' is only good for macros, not enjoyment, etc.

I did most of these extras, but the only point to them seems to be the gathering of achievements, as they were not that fun.

Ok, to be fair, some of these levels/modes ('least portals') were fun, but when I saw what people used to beat these extra levels in other modes (stuff ranging from glitches to exploits, going completely contrary to the established rules of Portal Gun) I begun to doubt what the hell people coding this were thinking. I can understand testing mind, testing reflexes, but something that forces player to find glitch to finish is pure idiocy.

Third, Steam is still the abomination-turd it once was, and the Portal will, for a long time, be the only game on my account. Really, if I lived in the US, or UK, and the games on Steam cost 50% or the box version, maybe there would be some point to it, but as it is, I won't touch it even with a 10 foot pole :smallsigh:

Phase
2010-06-20, 05:36 PM
Of course, that's some very subjective turd-slinging up there.

I thought the puzzles were fun, if not the most insanely difficult, and I didn't even go for the challenges, but the game's worth the money for the regular campaign anyway.

And Steam isn't an abomination. I find it to be the best digital distribution/social network in the business, and has introduced me to some very good friends. compared to other admitted DRM, it's the best by far, and actually makes it worth it. I can see the problems people have with it, it's an extra program between you and your game, but if you embrace it, rather than shun it, you'll find game stores becoming obsolete.

Mando Knight
2010-06-20, 05:37 PM
You're wrong.

Once brought, Team Fortress 2 is free to play, free and fluffy.

However, there is a hat-wearing MAN on the other side that will mock you for not playing long enough to have a HAT. And that is a legitimate ground for disapproval. It is, after all, America's #1 war-themed hat simulator, and possibly the only game wherein the developers are assumed to have been replaced by Jägers.

Thrawn183
2010-06-20, 05:40 PM
I'll be honest, I'd have to say it isn't. The orange box is great. I got it myself. Had you asked me this question say... a year ago? I would have said yes. Then I started getting more into comp. gaming and realized how many good games there are out there. The game's just too short for the money. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

You're paying quite a bit for what seems more like an engine experiment than a full game. :smallfrown:

chiasaur11
2010-06-20, 05:47 PM
Portal is not worth your money, buy Orange Box and pretend that Portal was for free.

You are a fool who should be shunned.

Orange Box is the better method, though.

Trixie
2010-06-20, 05:59 PM
And Steam isn't an abomination. I find it to be the best digital distribution/social network in the business, and has introduced me to some very good friends. compared to other admitted DRM, it's the best by far, and actually makes it worth it. I can see the problems people have with it, it's an extra program between you and your game, but if you embrace it, rather than shun it, you'll find game stores becoming obsolete.

Try to live in country where 3/4 of the functionality is unavailable, unless you're willing to pay huge sums, then we'll talk.

Also, try to play game on not top-notch computer, cursing as it sucks computing power from your machine, while your gaming rig sits idly in the next room, as the i-net connection on it is much worse. Really, a game that has 1-2 GB of contents at best wants to download seven gigabytes of stuff in order to be played? Are you kidding me?

Third, once your connection fails, for some reason, it ceases to log your achievements and progress. Oh, and you'll be informed about that once you finish your 6 hour game session :smallsigh:

Did I mentioned the spyware it installs on your machine? No?

How about taking the same amount of monies as the box edition salesman wants, for crappy version of the game that lacks all these extras box edition has, that cannot be sold, that cannot be even installed unless you have multi-MB connection?

Did I mentioned spyware? No? How about idiots from Valve thinking 1$ = 1 Euro, and pricing their games accordingly?

It's a steaming pile of crap, that might be slightly usable in the U.S. conditions, but try to care about safety of your PC and live in a (apparently) backyard called continental European Union, and it ceases to have all appeal. Duh, at least it works here, countries east of us have it a lot worse.

All based on my month-long contact this month, as for politeness sake I didn't said how much worse it was earlier, as I didn't had time to look if they fixed bugs it had then.

Really, for something that can be entirely replaced by a webpage and a tiny DRM program using a fraction of resources it uses now, the current edition is a turd mixed with spyware, and the least secure part of most operating systems, certainly in mine :smallsigh:

Phase
2010-06-20, 06:12 PM
There are several points of contention there, but the most egregious is claiming that Steam installs Spyware. How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?

SparkMandriller
2010-06-20, 06:17 PM
spyware

Kinda confused here, bro.

Sindri
2010-06-20, 08:41 PM
To the original question:
If I didn't have Portal, and I could get it for $40, I probably would. Fortunately, you can get it for ~$10 alone, or as part of the Orange Box (along with HL2, HL2 episode pack, and Team Fortress) for ~$30.

To the complaints about Steam:
Steam does not install spyware. You do not need an internet connection active while you play; after the initial download you can change it to offline mode and play anything you want as long as it's on your machine; thus if you have a computer with crappy internet and a good processor, you can download it once and play forever. The customer service department is such that you can send an email, and get a useful response from a real, competent person within 5-10 minutes. I can't say anything about the problems in foreign countries, but here the only possible issue is that their anti-piracy system is a bit overzealous. And if you've ever seen the sheer quantity of illegal game copies available, you'd know why that's necessary. Also, unless there's a different rule for Europe, Steam is free. Also, point of interest, I could use steam perfectly well on a dial-up connection. If you have problems on a multi-MB connection, I don't think that Steam is your issue; the spyware probably came from the same place as the virus that's eating your system.

To the question of horror levels in HL2:
When you're outside, it's sunny, and you can pretend this is an ordinary wargame, 1-2.
When it's dark and drippy and echo-y, and there's decaying refugees in the gutter and you get grabbed by a barnacle and somebody just got attacked by a headcrab, dies, and gets back up to kill you, 2-4.
When you're walking through Ravenholm and there's corpses everywhere and you can barely see and if you turn your back on a corpse it tears your spine out do you have to shoot every dead body you see and then you run out of bullets and ohgodwhat'sthatnoise? Nowhere near the scariest thing ever, but definitely outweighs 97% of horror movies and zombie games.

factotum
2010-06-21, 01:45 AM
As long as the other 3% includes the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 I'll agree with you there. :smallsmile:

Oh, and add my WTF? to the comment about Steam and spyware...

chiasaur11
2010-06-21, 01:52 AM
Someone said steam had spyware months back. Turned out they had it confused for something else.

No idea where the latest bit is coming from.

Eldan
2010-06-21, 02:56 AM
I agree on the point about puzzles and the challenge modes, though.

When I hear "puzzle game", I think Incredible Machine or the Myst games (which are still the best games of all times). It should be about thinking, not timed jumping.

Because I suck at aiming and timed jumping. My reflexes are so slow, most shooters slaughter me in the first level. So I buy puzzle games because I don't want any of that. I played through the challenge levels, but really, time and step challenges are just boring and frustrating to me.

chiasaur11
2010-06-21, 03:13 AM
I agree on the point about puzzles and the challenge modes, though.

When I hear "puzzle game", I think Incredible Machine or the Myst games (which are still the best games of all times). It should be about thinking, not timed jumping.

Because I suck at aiming and timed jumping. My reflexes are so slow, most shooters slaughter me in the first level. So I buy puzzle games because I don't want any of that. I played through the challenge levels, but really, time and step challenges are just boring and frustrating to me.

Fair.

Of course, some of the puzzles that look like timed jumping challenges weren't.

Always fun to find the smart way around.

Eloi
2010-06-21, 09:43 AM
Fair.

Of course, some of the puzzles that look like timed jumping challenges weren't.

Always fun to find the smart way around.

Indeed, they aren't jumping puzzles, they are physics puzzles based on the what if scenario of the First Law of Thermodynamics being negated in order to allow portals, whilst keeping everything else intact. Its not just jumping puzzles, it allows you to apply Newtonian physics onto a tangible concept, in essence, this game.

Knaight
2010-06-21, 09:57 AM
True, a lot of games do something different.

But most of them, with all due respect, have rough edges. Lots of them.

Not many games are as funny, as polished, and only one I can think of has anywhere near as good a song.

All games have rough edges, Portal is no exception*. It has far fewer than typical, but I can think of several games off the top of my head with fewer that still fit into the odd puzzle genre. Still Alive is an amazing song, and it is up there for that, but ultimately $20 for portal is paying 4-7 dollars per hour of game. That's rather pricey, and Portal would actually have have to met the hype to be worth that. But with the orange box it changes dramatically, into an incredible little bonus.

*Auto save placement is kind of odd at times, there were enough puzzles about simply doing something perfectly and not figuring out what to do that it weakened the game, some minor graphical stuff, etc.

valadil
2010-06-21, 10:06 AM

I'm thinking of buying Portal, and I've heard good things about it, not to mention the fact that it looks awesome.

Thanks.

It's awesome. But, it's short. Everyone I know who has played it finished in one sitting. It's like, 1-2 hours short. If you know somebody who has portal, you could probably play it at their place and not intrude on them at all. I bought it as part of the orange box because I'd intended to play the rest of the orange box too. It was worth it, but I might have been disappointed had I bought portal explicitly.

Dogmantra
2010-06-21, 10:08 AM
It was worth it, but I might have been disappointed had I bought portal explicitly.

I bought Portal on its own (I actually then bought TF2, then the Orange Box later but that's another story) for £10. I finished it in two hours. A cinema ticket here costs about £7.50 on average. A typical film lasts one and a half hours. I paid £5/hour for Portal, and you pay roughly £5/hour to see a film in the cinema. The difference being that you can go back and play Portal through again, or you can do the challenges, or the advanced chambers.

Cogwheel
2010-06-21, 10:14 AM
Chia, hate to go off-topic, but I'm curious. You mentioned that one game has a song of similar quality, what game/song would that be?

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-21, 10:24 AM
Chia, hate to go off-topic, but I'm curious. You mentioned that one game has a song of similar quality, what game/song would that be?

You have to burn the rope?

Lord Seth
2010-06-21, 12:16 PM
I'll agree with what that person said a while ago about it seeming like Steam downloads too much (downloading a few gigabytes for Portal seems a bit much especially given how short the game is), but I'm still baffled on the spyware comment given that that seemed to be their biggest complaint.

Mawhrin Skel
2010-06-21, 12:24 PM
I'll agree with what that person said a while ago about it seeming like Steam downloads too much (downloading a few gigabytes for Portal seems a bit much especially given how short the game is)

Game demos these days can be 2+ GB.

Steam would probably download much less for Portal if another Source engined game was already installed as Steam shares resources between Source games. That shared file though could contain more than is used in Portal.

Lord Seth
2010-06-21, 01:03 PM
Game demos these days can be 2+ GB.I understand the fact games can be big. But Portal is relatively short, so I'm confused as to why it needs to be that big.

Steam would probably download much less for Portal if another Source engined game was already installed as Steam shares resources between Source games. That shared file though could contain more than is used in Portal.Possibly. Still an annoyance for me though.

Worira
2010-06-21, 01:05 PM
Game demos these days can be 2+ GB.

Steam would probably download much less for Portal if another Source engined game was already installed as Steam shares resources between Source games. That shared file though could contain more than is used in Portal.

Yup. Having, say, Half Life 2 installed will make Portal start at somewhere between 60 and 80 percent completion.

Dogmantra
2010-06-21, 01:05 PM
I understand the fact games can be big. But Portal is relatively short, so I'm confused as to why it needs to be that big.

The source engine is unfortunately huge. The way it works as far as I remember is that it downloads all of HL2 except the actual game part (so you get all the textures, models, etc. but not the levels) then acts as a mod to it.

Mando Knight
2010-06-21, 01:18 PM

The computer even recognizes Source-based programs as being based off of the same engine: Source runs under the guise of something like "hl2.exe" even when you're playing Portal or TF2.

sofawall
2010-06-21, 01:23 PM
On the subject of Steam downloads, they annoy me. I get 40 GB per month of DL/UL, so I decided to buy the Orange Box in actual box format, so I wouldn't need to download anything.

Little did I know all it did was allow me to download...

Dogmantra
2010-06-21, 01:24 PM
Little did I know all it did was allow me to download...

Apparently you did something wrong. Although all the games do have updates (TF2 being the craziest: it's got about 5GB of updates), you can install off the disc.

chiasaur11
2010-06-21, 01:26 PM

Plants Versus Zombies.

There's a Zombie on your Lawn isn't as good, but it comes close at times.

Forbiddenwar
2010-06-21, 04:35 PM
Someone said steam had spyware months back. Turned out they had it confused for something else.

No idea where the latest bit is coming from.

Hate to admit it, but it was me:smallredface: Confused Steam with Spore
And now I have several games through STEAM (including orange box) and couldn't be happier.

Yes Portal is a great game, but it might be currently overpriced ($20) for its content. I have found that prices on Steam change constantly. What's $20 today may be free tomorrow. But if you don't want to be checking everyday, just get the Orange box.

Gamerlord
2010-06-22, 04:52 PM
I'll agree with what that person said a while ago about it seeming like Steam downloads too much (downloading a few gigabytes for Portal seems a bit much especially given how short the game is), but I'm still baffled on the spyware comment given that that seemed to be their biggest complaint.

I think what they mean is the fact they scan your hardware to determine what kind of product will get the biggest audience.

Forbiddenwar
2010-06-22, 05:38 PM
I think what they mean is the fact they scan your hardware to determine what kind of product will get the biggest audience.

What company doesn't do this? Seems very common to me.

chiasaur11
2010-06-22, 06:20 PM
What company doesn't do this? Seems very common to me.

More relevantly, for Valve, its voluntary.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-23, 02:00 AM
Portal was a lovely piece of art. It's the story, the visuals, the voices, the atmosphere...it's beautiful. That alone makes it worthwhile. It's just as good as a movie, if not somewhat better. Get the game for the storytelling. Also, the advanced chambers and challenge chambers are nice.

I'd think you might want to look into the Orange Box, though.

Jallorn
2010-06-23, 02:21 AM

Thanks.

Yes, absolutely, completely, a thousand times yes!

That about sums it up. The game is awesome. I've beaten it several times and it's still fun to play and to mess with the portal physics. Portal is awesome.