PDA

View Full Version : Abusive magic items-formulas in DMG

Ilmryn
2010-06-19, 06:14 PM
The DMG has several formulas that let you create customized magic items. However, several of them are broken, and let you created much better magic items than actually allowed. What are your thoughts on these neat items?

Bracers of continuous Mage Armor(1(spell level)*3(CL)*2000(continuous effect))=6000gp. Bracers of armor +4=16000gp. The effects are identical.
Or better yet, a bracer of Shield. It costs (1*3*2000*2(continuous 1 min/level effect))=12000gp. Still cheaper than the bracers of armor, and it stacks with more things and stops magic missiles to boot.

Does anyone else have any fun magic items crafted with these formulas?

This is one i built for a 40th level pvp.

Unlimited quickened wishes=27*13*1800+100*5*5000=3131800

Continous Superior Invisibilty=15*8*2000=240000
Total: 3371800gp
I dubbed it the One Ring.
A 40th level character using WBL can actually afford this. The weird thing is that it is actually cheaper than a ring of universal elemental immunity.

Bayar
2010-06-19, 06:17 PM
That is why they are guidelines, not actual rules. Those help the DM price custom items (and do a poor job at that).

Edit: And if you want that ring, just do what other people do: Craft ladders, break them apart, sell 10 feet poles and firewood. For a while. Get Extraordinary Artisan for even more economy. Buy the ring at level 1. You should also make sure you are immune to death by old age.

Pink
2010-06-19, 06:18 PM
I like to remind myself they're more-so suggestions for a DM to determine the cost of an item, rather than something set in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's a guideline rather than leaving a DM with nothing.

Heliomance
2010-06-19, 06:20 PM
The famous one is a use-activated item of True Strike. IIRC, it comes out at something like 4000gp.

Ilmryn
2010-06-19, 06:23 PM
I like to remind myself they're more-so suggestions for a DM to determine the cost of an item, rather than something set in stone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's a guideline rather than leaving a DM with nothing.

Well, the "use-activated or continuous" formula is definitely broken.

Koury
2010-06-19, 06:26 PM
The famous one is a use-activated item of True Strike. IIRC, it comes out at something like 4000gp.

I wouldn't have much issue with a use-activated True Strike item. So you hit every other turn, ok.

Continuous, on the other hand...

herrhauptmann
2010-06-19, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't have much issue with a use-activated True Strike item. So you hit every other turn, ok.

Continuous, on the other hand...

The problem is continuous, but that's a few million gold I think.
If you made it into a swift, 1/round, item, it starts getting broken I think. level 5 spell (before metamagic reduction), so cost is x5, and now CL for item is 9 (cost x9 again). Now it's getting a little expensive, but think how awesome it will be for uberchargers.
Power attack for full, and you have a good chance of hitting on your charge. If you've got pounce, your last iterative would still suck, but last iterative generally always sucks.
If you do a normal 5 ft step and full attack, I'd suggest using your weakest attack first. Your first attack probably going to hit anyway, but that +20 would make even your final iterative be reliable.

Greenish
2010-06-19, 07:26 PM
I'd suggest using your weakest attack first.Unpossible, no?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-19, 07:29 PM
The problem is continuous, but that's a few million gold I think.
If you made it into a swift, 1/round, item, it starts getting broken I think. level 5 spell (before metamagic reduction), so cost is x5, and now CL for item is 9 (cost x9 again). Now it's getting a little expensive, but think how awesome it will be for uberchargers.
Power attack for full, and you have a good chance of hitting on your charge. If you've got pounce, your last iterative would still suck, but last iterative generally always sucks.
If you do a normal 5 ft step and full attack, I'd suggest using your weakest attack first. Your first attack probably going to hit anyway, but that +20 would make even your final iterative be reliable.

I think is RAW that you need to make our itterative in order from higher to lowest, I don't jave a citation right now; but I think that in the Fighter ara absolute crap thread someone linked to the relevant text in the SRD

herrhauptmann
2010-06-19, 07:33 PM
I think is RAW that you need to make our itterative in order from higher to lowest, I don't jave a citation right now; but I think that in the Fighter ara absolute crap thread someone linked to the relevant text in the SRD

Don't remember seeing anything which states that attacks have to go in a certain order. Just that if you go out of order, you should announce which one goes first.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-19, 07:35 PM
That'd be command-word. Use-activated just happens as you're using it. So use-activated armlets of True Strike: They grant you a true-strike effect any time you use a weapon while wearing the armlets. Just 2,000. In the hands of a 10th-level Fighter with Power Attack, they let the fighter Power Attack for full, all the time. Which is the rough equivalent of a +10 weapon.

Continuous, on the other hand...... is a lot more expensive, due to the duration factor.

Greenish
2010-06-19, 07:38 PM
Don't remember seeing anything which states that attacks have to go in a certain order. Just that if you go out of order, you should announce which one goes first."If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack)."

Runestar
2010-06-19, 07:42 PM

If you could use truestrike as a swift action, you could cast/activate it right after your 3rd attack, so it benefits your 4th attack. :smallsmile:

That said, a bracers of true-strike already exists in MIC, though it only works 1/day.

This is one i built for a 40th level pvp.

* Unlimited quickened wishes=27*13*1800+100*5*5000=3131800

* Continous Superior Invisibilty=15*8*2000=240000

Won't the ring of wishes be subject to another x10 cost multiplier for being an epic item in terms of pricing? By the time you can afford 30 million on a item, I don't think even wishes can break the game anymore. Everyone will have +5 inherent bonuses to every stat...:smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2010-06-19, 07:57 PM
The DMG has several formulas that let you create customized magic items. However, several of them are broken

Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
You skipped right over the primary pricing rule, and went directly to the Otherwise section. I can make all sorts of things broken if I ignore rules like that. :smalltongue:

Foryn Gilnith
2010-06-19, 08:32 PM
I can make all sorts of things broken if I ignore rules like that. :smalltongue:

So, by all means, do so. We have no illusions that our tomfoolery is entirely in the rules.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-19, 08:44 PM
You skipped right over the primary pricing rule, and went directly to the Otherwise section. I can make all sorts of things broken if I ignore rules like that. :smalltongue:
Yeah. . .people tend to forget the magic item creation guidelines are just that, guidelines. And that's not even counting all the ways the costs could be reduced by restrictions on who can use it.