PDA

View Full Version : GURPS disadvantages

infinitypanda
2010-06-19, 09:34 PM
In GURPS, do things like Wealth and Status levels count as disadvantages? If so, do they still count against your disadvantage limit? I have a player wanting to play a hobo, and we're playing at such a low point value that he actually can't afford all the disadvantages that that entails.

Cybren
2010-06-19, 09:36 PM
4th edition GURPS counts anything not part of a racial template against the disadvantage limit. There's no reason that the GM can't decide to make adjustments in the case of particular characters, however

PersonMan
2010-06-19, 09:39 PM
I've only played 3.5, but as far as I know yes. I'm not sure if they changed it, but...

Personally, I'd rule that he can take extra disadvantages for no point gain. Maybe he could gain the points later, though, maybe slowly? Like +1 per session for the next 4 or 5 meets or so?

infinitypanda
2010-06-19, 09:53 PM
Ooh, thank you for the fast replies. I let him go two points over anyways to snag a few more disadvantages, but he's still pretty rich for a hobo. Owns a house and everything.

Raiki
2010-06-19, 09:57 PM
...but he's still pretty rich for a hobo. Owns a house and everything.

Doesn't that, kinda by definition, make him not a hobo?

And on a more constructive front:

I don't think that negative wealth and status count towards the limit in 4e. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall those things being specifically exempt from that rule.

Edit: To support my case, I put forward the fact that they aren't listed in the "Disadvantages" chapter, but far earlier in the character creation process.

~R~

Connington
2010-06-19, 10:25 PM
Below average Wealth and Status do indeed count towards the disadvantage limit, their location in the book not withstanding. However, the disadvantage cap is a guideline, not a strait-jacket.

infinitypanda
2010-06-19, 10:40 PM

Eh, he'll be a squatter or something. We'll figure it out.

Riffington
2010-06-19, 11:25 PM

Ask Jack Kerouac

Satyr
2010-06-20, 08:07 AM
By default, everything with a negative point value counts as a disadvantage, including below average attributes.
However, the Disadvantage limit is an optional munchkin break and can be handwaved entirely for a campaign.
It is usually considered that most "normal" people are around 25 netto points, and that reality doesn't have a limit of disadvantages one can have. So, if you don't need a limit for your campaign, don't use it.

warmachine
2010-06-20, 10:19 AM
A character of negative status living in a house may be breaking credibility in the game world. In our world, everyone, even criminals, are given the same, minimum rights as everyone else and, thus, has a minimum Status of 0. Unless you're an illegal alien. Indeed, someone with Struggling Wealth can still afford to maintain Status 0 at TL8 by GURPS rules. However, modern society assumes everyone has a permanent address to receive mail and electricity. Without it, banks won't let you open an account, bureaucracies won't deal with you and you can't charge a mobile 'phone. You may have to make the house disconnected and rejected by the post office.

Count D20
2010-06-20, 01:31 PM
Being homeless (and often mentally ill) Are stigmatized, maybe you could use that disadvantage.
And a home could be something odd, not a proper house.
Perhaps a long forgotten storage facility in the foundation of a building with the entrance concealed in urban decay. Stolen electricity, hacked wifi.