PDA

View Full Version : D&D [3.5] Sneak Attack 1/round?

The Rabbler
2010-06-19, 10:15 PM
I was always under the impression that sneak attack damage applied to each attack in a round. is this not the case?

Keld Denar
2010-06-19, 10:16 PM
Nope, each attack that qualifies. No limit.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-19, 10:17 PM
If all of the attacks you make in a round qualify (i.e. the target is still flat-footed or flanked), then it applies to every attack. If only some qualify, it only applies to those attacks.

gbprime
2010-06-19, 10:17 PM
Yeah, if you're striking a target who isn't aware you're there, you get to open up on him until his initiative, when he no longer counts as unaware/surprised/etc. But if you have flanking on him, just keep on rolling.

Douglas
2010-06-19, 10:20 PM
Every attack that meets the requirements gets the benefit. If you're using Invisibility (the level 2 version that ends when you attack) to qualify, you only get it on the first attack because you're no longer invisible for the rest. If you're using feinting, that also normally applies only to one attack, plus it uses your move action (assuming you have Improved Feint) to set it up. If you're using Greater Invisibility, flanking, attacking in the first round when your target is still flat-footed, or other such circumstances that do not change when you make an attack, you can get sneak attack on however many attacks you can manage to make.

PId6
2010-06-19, 10:21 PM
It applies to one only in situations in which only a single attack qualifies. Feinting would be one example (hence why it's usually considered a sub-par choice). Hiding and then attacking in melee would be another (assuming combat has already started).

Edit: Ninja'd!

Swordgleam
2010-06-19, 10:42 PM
It's only 1/round in 4e, which might be where the confusion originated if you were talking to someone who didn't realize which edition you were discussing.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-19, 11:11 PM
Actually, I have seen the confusion in a group that exclusively plays Pathfinder, aside from non D20 games

Melayl
2010-06-20, 09:35 AM
I was always under the impression that it only applied to one. That could be a holdover from my 2e days, but I don't recall the 3e text saying how many it applies to.

AslanCross
2010-06-20, 10:06 AM
Sneak Attack
If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

There is no limit. It triggers once per attack roll as per Rules Compendium, so while a rogue with greater invisibility can get sneak attack dice for every attack in a full attack action, a rogue using Manyshot will only get the dice onces.

gorfnab
2010-06-20, 02:15 PM
Number of Sneak Attacks

Provided it is possible for you to make a sneak attack at all, you can make multiple sneak attacks when you use the full attack action. For example, if you have a higher initiative result at the beginning of an encounter, your foe is flat-footed and every attack you make is a sneak attack. The same is true if you flank your foe.

Anything that allows you to make extra attacks during the full attack action gets you extra sneak attacks as well: fighting with two weapons, the haste spell, and the monk's flurry of blows are the most common ways of getting extra attacks.

Remember the earlier note about invisibility effects, however. If you're relying on invisibility to set up a sneak attack, you'll only have the effect for the first attack you make during your turn. You'll still get all your extra attacks, but only the first will be a sneak attack. You don't have this problem if you're using a greaterinvisibility effect.
From Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040302a)

More sneak attack stuff is covered in:
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040217a)
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040224a)
Rules of the Game: All About Sneak Attacks Part 4 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a)

Curmudgeon
2010-06-20, 02:42 PM
There is no limit. It triggers once per attack roll as per Rules Compendium, so while a rogue with greater invisibility can get sneak attack dice for every attack in a full attack action, a rogue using Manyshot will only get the dice onces.
Except if the Rogue also has Greater Manyshot:
Benefit: When you use the Manyshot feat, you can fire each arrow at a different target instead of firing all of them at the same target. You make a separate attack roll for each arrow, regardless of whether you fire them at separate targets or the same target. Your precision-based damage applies to each arrow fired, and, if you score a critical hit with more than one of the arrows, each critical hit deals critical damage.

The Rabbler
2010-06-21, 04:07 PM
thanks for the replies, playground. The dispute came up between my DM and myself (we only play 3.5) and I wanted to convince him that sneak attack does in fact apply to all attacks that qualify.

it's funny though, he was saying that a level 20 rogue's sneak attacks would effectively put him on par with an epic level wizard in damage/round.

now my reputation as a powergamer has grown even further :smallamused:

Greenish
2010-06-21, 04:20 PM
it's funny though, he was saying that a level 20 rogue's sneak attacks would effectively put him on par with an epic level wizard in damage/round.Maybe if said wizard uses non-metamagicced fireball.

Rogue 20 with full TWF line of feats gets six attacks a round (barring haste, natural weapons etc.), giving her an average of 210 sneak attack damage (330 with Craven) against a target whom she hits with every attack and who isn't immune to precision damage. That's a full round action, so the rogue has to start right next to this hypothetical enemy, and end her turn right next to it.

That's a lot of ifs. My hypothetical barbarian Knork from another thread averages 231 damage per round with his trusty masterwork greatsword at level 10, just for comparison. He isn't really optimized though.

Frosty
2010-06-21, 04:20 PM
Note that if you sneak up an unsuspecting target while Invisibled, you'd only get that first attack guaranteed to do SA damage, because it is technically the Surprise Round.

Then, in Round One, if you beat the target's initiative, you get to full-attack for SA dice on each attack (since the target is still Flat-Footed). Basically, you surprise him with your Invis, and then it's the race to see if he can react properly before you can strike again.

Sliver
2010-06-21, 04:24 PM
It's not powergaming just cuz it looks like a lot of dice.

10d6 is 35 damage on average, and that is what a maxed out rogue's sneak attack does on a single hit. Having more than one is necessary for a rogue. Soon someone will feel compelled to tell you the exact average a charging barbarian does.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 04:26 PM
10d6 is 35 damage on average, and that is what a maxed out rogue's sneak attack does on a single hit.+20 from Craven.
Soon someone will feel compelled to tell you the exact average a charging barbarian does.Already did. :smallcool:

Sliver
2010-06-21, 04:33 PM
Already did. :smallcool:

Gah! That's fast! Back in time fast! :smalleek:

The Rabbler
2010-06-22, 12:34 AM
I wasn't trying to say that this actually made me a powergamer; I was just trying to show what little experience my group has with powerful characters. one of these days I'll have to make an ubercharger and show them what some real damage looks like.

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-22, 05:45 AM
One thing more thing: the sneak attack trigger even if is not your turn.

As an example, if you are flanking a foe with your fighter buddy, and that foes performs an action that trigger an Attack of Opportunity, your AOO benefits of sneak attack damage bonus.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-22, 09:57 AM
I wasn't trying to say that this actually made me a powergamer; I was just trying to show what little experience my group has with powerful characters. one of these days I'll have to make an ubercharger and show them what some real damage looks like.

General rule is: "if it makes an attack roll, it can sneak attack if you meet sneak attack's requirements."

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-22, 10:37 AM

Welcome to my world!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156155

Yeah, the group I play with only lets rogues sneak attack once per round. When I run, I let attacks that qualify for sneak attack have sneak attack. When the rogue did 51 damage at level 5, one of the other players went "See? See? That's why you have to pare it down some." I looked at him, canted my head to the side, smiled, and said. "No. That's why you all have to pick it up."