PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Item Creation Question

Jergmo
2010-06-20, 02:09 AM
So, I was going to make a rod for my Arcane Trickster, for some quick cheap and fun sneak attacks that rely on touch attacks, going for an item that had both Ray of Frost and Acid Splash. But a question arose - can it be controlled which of the two spells the sneak attack damage is applied to, or would it default to the first one that was applied to the item? :smallconfused:

PId6
2010-06-20, 02:15 AM
This is a custom item, correct? You're going to have to explain a bit more what it does. Does it allow you to fire either Ray of Frost or Acid Splash when you want it, or does it fire both at once?

Jergmo
2010-06-20, 02:20 AM
It fires both at once, on Command.

balistafreak
2010-06-20, 02:21 AM
Well, it sounds like you're shooting a volley, like from Manyshot or a high caster-level Scorching Ray. "Volley" is apparently defined as any series of attacks that are non-iterative, non-natural... or something like that. Generally if you get multiple attack rolls from a single standard action, it's a volley.

Ruling is that precision damage such as Sneak Attack and Skirmish only applies once on a "volley", which is why Travel Devotion is so key to a Scout build.

So you'd get to choose either one or the other, but not both.

Jergmo
2010-06-20, 02:22 AM
Well, it sounds like you're shooting a volley, like from Manyshot or a high caster-level Scorching Ray. "Volley" is apparently defined as any series of attacks that are non-iterative, non-natural... or something like that. Generally if you get multiple attack rolls from a single standard action, it's a volley.

Ruling is that precision damage such as Sneak Attack and Skirmish only applies once on a "volley", which is why Travel Devotion is so key to a Scout build.

So you'd get to choose either one or the other, but not both.

Alright, thanks!

PId6
2010-06-20, 02:28 AM
Here's an interesting question: Acidic Fire (ECS) is a splash weapon that deals 1d4 points of fire damage and 1d4 points of acid damage. If you Sneak Attack using it, what type of damage would your Sneak Attack be?

Jergmo
2010-06-20, 02:35 AM
Here's an interesting question: Acidic Fire (ECS) is a splash weapon that deals 1d4 points of fire damage and 1d4 points of acid damage. If you Sneak Attack using it, what type of damage would your Sneak Attack be?

I think you can only apply sneak attack damage to touch spells, like Shocking Grasp and Scorching Ray.

PId6
2010-06-20, 02:50 AM
I think you can only apply sneak attack damage to touch spells, like Shocking Grasp and Scorching Ray.
You can Sneak Attack with anything that has an attack roll, including splash weapons. Alchemist's Fire can be used to Sneak Attack with fire damage, for example. Acidic Fire, however, deals two types of damage, so which would the Sneak Attack deal? Is it half and half? Do you choose?

Hague
2010-06-20, 04:32 AM
Yeah, those precision grenades. Like that one time I got sneak attacked by a boulder. Now the ooze right next to me that got sneak attacked the same way? Yeah, all that 'precision damage' didn't hurt him :smallannoyed:

Ashram
2010-06-20, 04:56 AM
Yeah, those precision grenades. Like that one time I got sneak attacked by a boulder. Now the ooze right next to me that got sneak attacked the same way? Yeah, all that 'precision damage' didn't hurt him :smallannoyed:

Gotta love the wording on precision damage. Maybe the boulder happened to have a sharp edge? Not every boulder is just a huge round rock. o.o

Sliver
2010-06-20, 05:40 AM
If there was a way to SA with splash damage too... But since there is no attack roll for the splash... :smallfrown:

HunterOfJello
2010-06-20, 05:46 AM
You might want to check out the Gloves of the Uldra Sanat from the Magic Item Compendium. They cost 3100gp and have the ability to use Ray of Forst at will and give a held weapon the forst property for 5 rounds up to 3 times /day