PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Succubus Question

Jane_Smith
2010-06-20, 03:31 AM
~~~~~ Succubi

Tiny horns, bat-like wings, and a sinuous tail betray the demonic nature of these alluring women.

~~~ Succubus Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
- Medium: Succubi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Outsider: Succubi are Outsiders, with the Chaos, Demon, Evil, and Extraplanar subtypes.
- Speed: Succubi have a base land speed of 30 feet, and a fly speed of 60 ft (average).
- Darkvision: Succubi can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Claws: A succubus possesses a pair of claws on each hand in its true form. These claws, despite their size, are incredibly sharp and capable of piercing all but the toughest surfaces. These claws deal 1d6 + the succubi's Str bonus in damage, and threaten a critical on a roll of 19 to 20. These claws are treated as chaotic and evil for bypassing damage reduction.
- Energy Drain (Su): A succubus drains energy from a mortal she lures into an act of passion, such as a kiss. An unwilling victim must be grappled before the succubus can use this ability. The succubus's kiss, or other gesture, bestows one negative level. The kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another act of passion from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the succubi's hit dice + the succubi's cha bonus) to negate the suggestion, and a Fortitude save of the same value to remove a negative level.
- Dark Embrace (Su): Once per day as a full-round action, a succubus may create a link with a willing humanoid creature by touching it for 1 full round. A single creature may have no more than one embrace from a succubus at a time. As long as the profane gift persists, the succubus can communicate telepathically with the target across any distance (and may use her suggestion spell-like ability through it). This effect is removed by dispel evil or dispel chaos. The succubus can remove it as well as a free action.
- Minor Change Shape (Su): Succubi have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This ability is not a illusory effect but a actual physical alteration of a succubi's features, such as facial structure, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A succubus can use this ability at will as a standard action, and the alteration lasts until she changes shape again. A succubus reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell shows the succubi's true form. When using this ability to create a disguise, a succubus receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Constant — detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, At will — charm monster, detect thoughts, nondetection, suggestion, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), vampiric touch, 1/day - dominate person.
- Telepathy (Su): Succubi possess telepathy out to a range of 100 feet.
- Profane Grace: Succubi gain a +2 racial bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, and Perform checks.
- Succubi are immune to electricity and poison.
- Succubi possess resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
- Succubi possess damage reduction 5/cold iron or good.
- Succubi possess +1 natural armor.
- Succubi possess Spell Resistance equal to 10 + their hit dice.
- Weapon Familiarity: Succubi are proficient with hand crossbows, rapiers, scimitars, whips, and treat any weapon with the word "demonic" in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages: Succubi begin play speaking Common and Abyssal. Succubi with high intelligence scores can learn any other language (other then secret languages, such as druidic).

This is my attempt at making a more playable succubus for mid/high level games.

This is the original pathfinder succubus;
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/succubus

The original has a CR of 7, and 8 hit dice. Mine is slightly nerfed in a few places, such as abilities, damage reduction, natural armor, and no eth-jaunt at-will or tongues (demons in the campaign world were using are lucky to speak common over abyssal at all, let alone all languages 'just cause' of magic). However, I have given it +10 ft. fly speed, -slightly (crit-happy) better- claws, no racial hit dice, bonuses to skill points. Overall, mostly minor benefits.

What would the Cr of my version of the succubus be, over the original?

Edit: Considering mine cannot be played without at least 1 class level, please keep this class level in mind for its total cr. think of this as a "Level 1 ???? Succubus".

Apalala
2010-06-20, 04:19 AM
Just so you know, PF doesn't use Level Adjustment.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monsters-as-pcs

As such, a succubus would be pretty much on par with the other options in play.

Your class is a bit too frontloaded. That many abilities means it would need LA of +3 or more. Instead, why don't you try spreading out all of those abilities along a three or four level monster class?

Daremonai
2010-06-20, 05:41 AM
Your class is a bit too frontloaded. That many abilities means it would need LA of +3 or more. Instead, why don't you try spreading out all of those abilities along a three or four level monster class?

I think you may have misunderstood (or I have) - the Succubus here isn't a class, it's a race that requires at least one class level to play; e.g. "Level 1 Rogue Succubus" is ok, but just "Succubus" is not. Or at least that's what I read from it.

As to whether it's balanced or not, I have no idea - I haven't fully grasped PF's power level yet.

Kurtmuran
2010-06-20, 10:02 AM
looks interesing but do they have level adjustment?

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-20, 11:33 AM
You do know that RHD don't count towards the ECL of a monster, right?

A Succubus is CR 7 and that means it can jump in to play with a group of 7th level players. Sure it has nice abilities and one extra HD compared to its fellows, but it'd be behind the level curve for the next 9 levels and by level 16 a succubus is no longer any great shakes compared to 16th level adventurers.

Apalala
2010-06-20, 03:34 PM
I suppose a level 1 barbarian succubus would be...CR 3? 4 perhaps?

Jane_Smith
2010-06-21, 05:47 PM
... I would -pay- to see a barbarian succubus in action. "Amazon Demon: SNOO SNOO!" "Fry: OH shi!"