PDA

View Full Version : avb - shalantan

planswalker
2010-06-20, 08:32 AM
me or shalantan. will edit with story details when i can recall them.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 08:34 AM
That was the most confusing first post, ever.

planswalker
2010-06-20, 08:35 AM
sorry about that. i'm really tired right now and am having a hard time thinking straight.

planswalker
2010-06-20, 08:38 AM
k, thanks for the refresher. From the Top:

You make your way down to the alley intersection where you have heard that your brethren await you. An orange kobold stops you and asks in draconic, "What you doin' here, huh?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 08:41 AM
Shalantan answers in Draconic. He speaks fast, but not fast enough that you can't understand it."Eh, I'm from the desert, came here for work and play, you know?"

planswalker
2010-06-20, 08:45 AM
"Wanna help kill gnomes? Will get ya shinies if you do."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 08:47 AM
"I hope you understand, dear brother, that I am a professional stabber. I don't simply stab, I stab well. I was looking for the city's shadow dwellers, you know, coat their weapons in poison and stab people from behind?"

planswalker
2010-06-20, 08:48 AM
"You wanna talk with the big boss then. I'll take ya to him."

You follow him and he leads you underground through a hidden entrance to a room that is littered with various pieces of gnomes, some preserved or mummified, others in various states of decay. A rather fat kobold is munching of a leg of some animal. When he sees you, he swallows the current mouthful and says, "Greetings! welcome to the halls of the Big Boss! How can i help you today?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 08:58 AM
Oh and. I'm Dragonwrought, by the way - you know, the whole wannabe nobles of Kobolds.

"You're the Big Boss? I can see why they call you big, heh. Probably should slow down on those Gnomes, they'll kill ya. chubby. Anyway, I'm looking for the city's assassin's guild, know where I can find them?"

planswalker
2010-06-20, 04:21 PM
"Heh, you're probably right, but why not die happy rather than old? As to the assassin's guild, there ain't just one. There are about a half-dozen different 'brotherhoods who organize killing people for money. None of them are really winnin' the turf war, though, so scabs are just as common as people in a gang. If ya wanna support one of 'em, i'll add the 'bold's support to the one you pick. 'Cause i like you and you're dragonwrought like me."

He may claim to be, but the only dragon he could possibly be "wrought" from is gluttony "dragons". He does seem to have a keener intelligence than the average kobold, though.

After taking another bite and swallowing, he asks, "Do you wanna know more about the various cutthroats in the city?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 04:34 PM
"I ne'er said you being fat was not you being smart, did I? You have guards, you don't need to watch out for yerself. Yea, of course I do. Are there any of the assassin guilds you like?"

planswalker
2010-06-20, 05:50 PM
"Well, there's the skulks. They're pretty good organized. I think there's actually two groups of them Some in Old Town and some in the Docks. There's also the Jacks, they're rather high rollers too, near the top. Oh, and there's a couple of priests of nerull around here somewhere who would love to organize a group of thugs to go around killing people. And i think the humans have a couple of gangs, but all of them give us no respect. I'd rather not do stuff with them. Then of course there are the gnomes. Those tasty, buttery gnomes.... no one admits it, but i just know that they are out to get us. Our war with them is purely self-defense, you understand."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 06:01 PM
"We need an excuse to kill Gnomes? And are the Jacks active in Sesbury as well? I do remember a branch of them - I believe they called themselves the Aces - were 'round parts in Mahallanburg. How might I get in touch with them here?"

Tell me if you want it edited - it's purely for background. In my eyes, Shalantan was actually a pretty solid member of the Aces, it's just very hush hush.

planswalker
2010-06-20, 06:04 PM
He laughs at your gnome comment. "You're right, of course. A worthy cause though helps motivate the peons. The jacks have people all over the city, but i think their big players are in the docks."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 06:14 PM
((Notice my spoiler))
"I'll head there, if you don't mind, chubby wubby. I'll be back and help you fight your war soon enough - heck, I'll even throw in a stab or two at the lil' buggers if the opportunity arises."

Shalantan does a graceful and provoking bow, then heads outside. He walks up to the first beggar he sees, takes out 5 gold pieces, and gives it to the beggar. "Nice to see ya, friend, tell me, I'm looking to play cards - Jack High, if you know what I mean. Can you tell me where I might find the ole' playing den? And what's the word on the street today?"

There's another spoiler in the post above.
I hope it's okay I make some assumptions as to how the Jacks work - namely, that they have a centralized hideout, and that word on the street = the password to enter.
Oh, and that the beggars know all this.

planswalker
2010-06-20, 06:17 PM
fine with me. you won't get to automatically become top dog, but i like the chance to let you fill in some of the blanks for how this organization is run.

the beggar says, "I don't play cards myself, but i think the people over on Scale street do. Try your money on them."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 06:19 PM
If you understood my "chain of command", I envision Shalantan to be above street mob (beggars, etc), but below the local dayman and nightman. He's trying to achieve Assassin rank, which would put him below only The Listener and The Honest Man in terms of who get to tell him what to do, but give him no power whatsoever.

"Good man."
Shalantan heads for Scale Street, looking for anything that might appear to be Jacks terriotory.

planswalker
2010-06-20, 06:42 PM
You notice a prostitute at the far end of scale street. there seems to be a small piece of paper in her hair.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-20, 07:14 PM
Shalantan heads over there.
"Hey girl, I'm looking for Jack - we're supposed to throw some cards. You know where I might find his place?"

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:15 AM
"You're lookin' for Jack? He's got a game going on over at Seller's, just north of Raine's. First door on your right."

those are roads. the first warehouse to your right when facing north. after the intersection of those two streets.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 06:19 AM
"Any word on the street today?"

As in - password to enter.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 06:23 AM
"Word is, it's Aces low, deuces high, Queens wild."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 06:46 AM
"Thanks love, be seeing you!"
Shalantan takes an indirect route there, as to throw any possible observers off track.
You don't grow to be old as a Kobold without being paranoid.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 06:48 AM
You see a rather nondescript warehouse.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 06:54 AM
Shalantan looks for a back entry. If Shalantan finds a door, Shalantan walks up to it, knocks twice, and says the password.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 06:57 AM
you do indeed fin a back door. Upon hearing the password, the door opens noiselessly. Inside, a trio of dwarves are sitting around a barrel that is cut in half. They seem to be playing a card game.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 07:00 AM
You've got to be kidding me.
Shalantan looks at the dwarves and their gear, and tries to figure out whether or not they may be associated with anything like the Jacks - whether or not they are drinking heavily, are wearing semi-hidden weapons, the usual signs.

Also, YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
This is why I hate Humans.

Assuming they are simply Dwarves playing a 'secret' card game, he turns around and leaves.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 07:06 AM
Although this seems innocent enough, you realize upon closer inspection that no one is moving, and they aren't even breathing. In other words, they aren't real.

Just as you start getting really confused, a green-scaled lizardfolk walks out of the shadows. several knives are conspicuously placed around its body. She (as the voice reveals) asks you "So, what brings a nice little kobold like you all the way out here? Isn't the Big Boss of yours still gorging on gnome in the south side?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 07:12 AM
"I'm here on my own, to play cards. I normally play with the Aces, but I hear the Jacks are always up for a good game. Also, he's not my Big Boss, I'm not from 'round here."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 08:08 AM
"Hm... Aces you say? Well, The Jacks rule this town. If you wanna meet someone in a big game, you'll have to earn the privilege. I do believe the dayman would be interested in seeing you, if you truly are a free soul."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 08:32 AM
"I'd be happy to meet with him. What's his name, and where do I find him?"

planswalker
2010-06-21, 08:35 AM
"He's called the Eagle, and if you want to find him, follow me." She saunters off deeper into the warehouse.

You follow her to a trapdoor somewhere between two crates of various hardware. "After you." She says.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 09:18 AM
"Yea, in front of you? Fat chance." Shalantan winks at the lizardman, and goes through the trapdoor.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 09:24 AM
Inside the trapdoor is a dimly lit room It is filled with all sorts of unsavory characters. At the far end of the room is a half-elf who holds himself with an air of dignity which belies the dingy atmosphere around him. "And who might you be?" he asks.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 09:29 AM
Shalantan smirks and does a graceful bow. "Name's Shalantan Drystaz'tharmenatharon, honoured Dayman. I'm from out east, Mahallanburg to be exact. I'm here on personal business, and of course adher to the usual protocol of introducing myself and hearing the local rules before doing anything on The Jacks' turf. While I'm here, I'm of course yours to call upon." Shalantan pauses, then winks. "If the pay's good, 'cause."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 09:35 AM
terrible leg cramp is killing my creative process. i'll get back to this when i can think straight.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 09:36 AM
A lot of things seem to kill your creativity. It's fine, you'll be back! :smallwink:

planswalker
2010-06-21, 09:38 AM
what can i say? i'm a temperamental artist. it's up to my consumers (the pc's) to determine if the quality is worth the cramps in my style.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 09:39 AM
I'd rather wait and have a well-written and meaningful conversation with the dear Eagle. You do what you have to do - I don't mind.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 10:09 AM
Shalantan smirks and does a graceful bow. "Name's Shalantan Drystaz'tharmenatharon, honoured Dayman. I'm from out east, Mahallanburg to be exact. I'm here on personal business, and of course adher to the usual protocol of introducing myself and hearing the local rules before doing anything on The Jacks' turf. While I'm here, I'm of course yours to call upon." Shalantan pauses, then winks. "If the pay's good, 'cause."

"Well, a kobold with manners who knows how to pay respect to his family, that's quite a useful trait in anyone. We can always find a use for someone else to join our ranks. Your cut will be the usual fifty percent, of course. We are actually in a land war at the moment with three other groups who think they own the town. Any way you help us fight the good fight will be remembered by me."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 10:12 AM
"Land war, you say? There's no question who's right there. I'm a skillful lil' bugger, so tell you what: If you give me a target and some details, I'll do the first hit for something cheap - words. I need an introduction to Jacks' assassins, which I'm sure you can help me with."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 10:23 AM
"Not only a self-proclaimed skillful little bugger, but an ambitious one." He chuckles to himself. "Tell you what, if you can reclaim pier 1 from the dockside skulks i'll put in a word for you."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 10:26 AM
"How big is their merry bunch? Could I pass for one of them?"

planswalker
2010-06-21, 10:36 AM
"Six or so of them are holding it. If you can drive them off, i can get some footpads to keep it from them. Problem is, pier 1 has a good defensive position and the assassins consider it too small a catch to be worth their time. I'm afraid that you won't be able to disguise yourself as a skulk unless you can hide the scales, double in height, and look like a skinny human with pitch-black skin. Oh, and all of them we have ever caught have had daggers that are bane to humans. I really would rather not send my regulars in to get slaughtered, you understand. We really lost more than we could afford when they took the docks from us. On the other hand, i'm sure your cousin's 'big boss' could spare a few meatshields, if you can convince him it is worth his while. Shouldn't be hard. just tell him they are friends with gnomes."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 10:41 AM
"Is there any way to sneak in? Though one wouldn't think so, I'm pretty stealthy when I want to be."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 10:52 AM
"Possibly, if you come from underneath. An aquatic approach could work."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 10:56 AM
"I'm not really a water rat, but that could work. I think I'd need someone to assist my breathing magically. Got any specalists 'round who could help me?"

planswalker
2010-06-21, 11:02 AM
"There's a priest of Pelor who i have in my pocket.He'll allow you to breathe for hours underwater. He doesn't normally prepare it, but i can have him ready to cast it tomorrow morning."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 11:05 AM
"Don't s'pose he can make me swim better, too? You do that, I'll bunk in for tomorrow, then. Don't s'pose you have a place for me to crash, do ya?"

planswalker
2010-06-21, 11:06 AM
"He could, but that'll cost me extra, which will cost you half that price."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 11:07 AM
"I don't mind. Money's no object when doing works for good people. I'd rather pay for the spell than drown."

planswalker
2010-06-21, 11:16 AM
"As you wish. The Jacks are certainly willing to house a skilled operative in their home. We have a bunk here that we can let you have. Or, if you would rater have private accommodations, something serviceable can be arranged."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 11:25 AM
"I'm getting too old to bunk down with the cutpurses. I'd love something private."

Assuming he gets it, Shalantan goes to sleep.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 12:37 PM
"It won't be as fancy as the group dwelling, but it is private." he says and makes the arrangements for you. you sleep undisturbed.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 12:48 PM
Shalantan passes the time playing with his rapier until the Cleric and/or Eagle shows up.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 12:52 PM
Just as you are about to master a neat new trick, Eagle comes and gets you to get buffed up.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 01:08 PM
(I assume he's smart enough to wait to around nightfall. Cover of darkness and everything. What buffs do I get?)
Shalantan thanks the dayman and heads for the docks.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:22 PM
you are enchanted with the ability to breathe water and another one to let you swim with the ease of a fish.

brethe water normally for 7 hours. swim speed of 30 for 1 hour 40 minutes.done just before you get to the docks.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 01:27 PM
In the cover of darkness, Shalantan finds a seluded spot and slips into the water some 100-200 feet from pier 1 (depending on level of darkness). He then swims underwater until he reaches the pier.

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:40 PM
since skulks have darkvision, best to start closer to the 200 ft mark.

You see four skulks at the pier, knives in hand. One is in each corner of the pier. You hear the footsteps of a fifth going back and forth along the 30' pier.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 01:47 PM
Do I see a latter or anything I can climb up with?

planswalker
2010-06-21, 01:54 PM
there is a ladder you could use. it was designed to allow a person who falls overboard to be able to get on the pier quickly. It is about five feet from one of the waterside skulks in the corner.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-21, 02:00 PM
Ladder*, sorry.
If the skulk isn't looking at the latter: Shalantan dives under, and swims for the ladder. He goes up on the first step, and pulls out his shortbow and notches an arrow. Using his legs to keep balance, he shoots an arrow at the skulk above him.

Assuming Assassin's Stance.
Move Silenty: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]+[roll4]

Hiding after: [roll5]

planswalker
2010-06-22, 01:27 AM
you manage to silently take out your target. no one saw which direction you fired from and the body falls silently to the water. the other skulks take a few seconds to notice.

you get 1 turn before they react to the disappearance.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 01:58 AM
Move action to climb the ladder (?), standard action to take out the closest guard.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Free action to let go and drop backwards into the water.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 02:00 AM
Forgot bow damage. [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-22, 02:41 AM
you manage to drop both the waterside guards of the pier before arousing suspicion. the remaining three are now on alert. One of them remembers the ladder into the water and begins to climb down to investigate.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 02:46 AM
Shalantan keeps under water, quickly pulls his bow across his shoulder, and unsheaths his rapier.

Hiding right beneath the ladder, hoping to get a strike in as the skulk is scouting around.

Hide: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Burning Blade Maneuver:
Damage: [roll2]SA+[roll3]Weapon+[roll4]Fire

planswalker
2010-06-22, 02:54 AM
you spear this one as well. the other two hear the plop as his body hits the water, and they look down the ladder to see where the attacker is. they each have a dagger in hand, ready to strike.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 03:28 AM
Shalantan dives and swims under the pier, just behind the ladder. He has plenty of time.

If they aren't stupid enough to climb down the ladder, he sheaths his Rapier, draws his bow, swims 40 feet out, peeps up, and takes a shot at one of the skulks.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 03:42 AM
they know better than to go into the water.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 04:25 AM
Then Shalantan swims out after roughly 3 minutes, peeps his head above water 20 feet out, and let fly an arrow if anyone is visible.

Hide: [roll0]
Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]

planswalker
2010-06-22, 04:42 AM
the solitary skulk left runs off to seek reinforcements.

he is still visible to you at the end of his move..

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 05:09 AM
Move action to swim towards him. Standard action to shoot an arrow.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

planswalker
2010-06-22, 05:38 AM
you managed to deal exactly his hp in damage. congrats.

The skulk is disabled. his pace is instantly reduced from a run to a crawl as your bolt pierces him in the back just below his lungs.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 05:44 AM
Shalantan quickly swims for the ladder, climbs up, drops the bow, draws his Rapier, and finishes the job.

Afterwards, he loots everything they have - clothes, daggers, purses, everything. Then he drops the corpses off the pier, and goes for a swim.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 06:37 AM
each of the skulks had a dirty loincloth and a +1 human-bane dagger. other than that, the only other valuable thing that you find a case of drow poison. there seems to be enough poison for fifty doses in there.

in all that's five dirty loincloths, five +1 human-bane daggers, and fifty doses of drow poison. you also gain 2000 xp for a job well done.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 11:47 AM
Shalantan returns to the Jacks' den, says the password, and heads for the hatch.
Seeing as it's night, I'm assuming I don't find the Eagle.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 03:18 PM
nope. It's the nightman. He asks you "What business brings you here tonight?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 03:50 PM
"My dear nightman, I was doing a mission for the dayman. I am simply returning with proof of my succes in the dear name of the Jacks. I'm Shalantan Drystaz'tharmenatharon, master with a rapier and dashing to boot."
Shalantan gives an elegant bow.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 04:02 PM
He grunts. "Well, flattery gets you places with the dayman, but i could care less. I take it you are the scaly one who was sent to free pier 1? Well then, cut the usual half the take with the Jacks and you will gain whatever it is that the dayman promised you tomorrow morning."

"By the way, if you're here, who's keeping them from retaking it tonight?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 04:05 PM
"Heh. Well, that's your problem, isn't it? I was told to take it and eliminate the skulks, not hold it. Do your own damn dirty work."

Shalantan pulls half the loot, plus the loincloths. He throws all of it on the table.

"There, half the loot. You even got all the dirty loincloths, feel lucky. And you're right, flattery gets you no where - but manners do. Which is why you get the dog shift, I assume."

(That's assuming he said that with a semi-hostile tone)

planswalker
2010-06-22, 04:15 PM
he definitely was slightly hostile. "Well, whatever the dayman sees in you, i care more about respect, something you lack entirely. Come back in the morning when he can deal with whatever it is he promised you."

he sends a couple of cutpurses and footpads to hold the pier.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 04:19 PM
"You must understand, Human, that someone as old as me has seen many of your kind come and go. I do not give my respect, it is something that is earned. Nothing in life is free, I can tell you that - like I make my respect doing what I do, maybe you should do the same."

planswalker
2010-06-22, 04:29 PM
"I am the nightman. If you have any understanding of how the Jacks work, someone like you should know that this is all i need to do in order to have your respect. Whoever you were to the Aces, you are just a free soul to the jacks. We may give you some more respect than the average slicktongue, but i expect you to still have respect for what i do."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 04:33 PM
Shalantan scratches his scales. "Yea, well, do something, then. I've seen you boss around underlings. I'm sure you do something, I mean, you probably weren't born Nightman, but.. Well, I guess I just prefer people who use proper etiquette. It comes with getting old - you young rascals all seem alike."
A faint smile shows on Shalantan's lips.
"However, you do not intimidate me. I dunno if that's what you're trying to, and I don't really care. I'm here, I do your dirty work - and I do it damn good, too. Appreciate it or don't, either way, I don't care. But, please, have some respect for what I do. I know I'm no nightman, but I did help reinforce the Jack's position in this town."

planswalker
2010-06-22, 05:25 PM
"Bah, i'll let the dayman deal with you. Whatever he sees in you, you're his problem. " he dismisses you from the room.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 05:46 PM
Shalantan goes back to his private quarters, and sleeps until daybreak.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 05:51 PM
day breaks. . . .

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 05:54 PM
.. And Shalantan goes to find the dayman.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 06:06 PM
He finds him in the hideout that he has come to know and love.

"Good job last night. I heard about your run in with the nightman. Don't let him get to you. No one has ever caught Smiley in a good mood. Now then, i believe that i promised you a favor for your task?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 06:12 PM
Shalantan smiles while shaking his head. "Boys will be boys. Some men are just boys, but bigger. Yes, the assassins - you introduce me and put in a good work, and I might just keep helping the Jacks."

planswalker
2010-06-22, 06:18 PM
"Of course. One of the assassins with a bigger chunk of influece in the Jacks than the standard one will consent to meet with you. I gave him a good report of you. You'll find him just behind the Maid and the Mermaid."

you don't actually have to go to the City Streets unless you want to.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't that pretty much be: Show up, say hi, go to secret place and talk?

planswalker
2010-06-22, 07:04 PM
which is why you can just stay in this thread and resolve all of it here.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 07:06 PM
Seeing no reason to stay, Shalantan says his goodbye and leaves for the location described.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 07:08 PM
There are two hooded and cloaked figures behind the Maid, one at each corner.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-22, 07:38 PM
Shalantan makes himself visible to both of them, waiting for one of them to approach him.

planswalker
2010-06-22, 07:52 PM
the one on the right asks, "So, aces low?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-23, 07:15 AM
"Is that a height joke?" Shalantan smiles. "Yes, Aces low. Do you have anywhere we can go?"

planswalker
2010-06-23, 02:57 PM
"Follow me."

After about a half-hour of wandering through back-alleys to ensure you don't know how to get there exactly, you are led to a cellar door behind an old, run-down house. You are led down first, than he follows you. Inside is a brightly lit and well-furnished common area, along with several doors leading off elsewhere.

A man is sitting in an ornate cushioned chair in the middle of the room. As you enter, he stands up and greets you with, "Welcome to the assassin's den. A little dayman bird said you wanted to talk to us, said you managed to clear off pier 1 by yourself without even being seen. What do you want with us?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 01:56 AM
Shalantan looks grim serious.
"I have rarely met an opponent who match my skills with a blade, nor my skills in assassination. I as deadly as I am silent. I wish to hone my skills, and train to be the best I can be, before I move on from this world. I wish to perfect the skill of ending the lives of the unworthy. I wish to be an assassin."

planswalker
2010-06-24, 02:02 AM
"Well, offing a couple of skulks will hardly qualify you for this. Tell you what, if you can off Tiege the mage, you're in. beware, though, he is a wizard of no small skill. he runs that guild."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 02:31 AM
"He'll be dead before the sun has risen twice."
If they have nothing more to say, Shalantan exits and goes to the Kobold Den.

planswalker
2010-06-24, 02:33 AM
he chuckles "I won't hold you to that. He isn't easy to kill."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 08:31 AM
Shalantan simply leaves for the Kobold Den.

planswalker
2010-06-24, 09:38 AM
on your way over, a city guardsman stops you and asks where you were last night.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 10:13 AM
"Last night? I was participating in a Kobold mating ritual. I doubt you'd want the details - you see, I'm a sort of noble among Kobolds, and I get the lion's share of our women, if you know what I mean."

Bluff: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-24, 03:01 PM
"Eh, never mind then. Be on your way."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 03:08 PM
Shalantan heads for the kobold den.

planswalker
2010-06-24, 03:34 PM
When he arrives there, he is immediately taken to see the Big Boss. He has been expecting him. "How goes your progress?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 04:07 PM
"It's going pretty good, great glubber. I do need some help with something, though, and I thought you'd be the first to want to hear this. I need to have some assassinated, no questions asked. I could use some help in terms of preparation and stuff like that, you know? I'll trade with my own personal help in the war."

planswalker
2010-06-24, 04:22 PM
"Sounds good. What do you need?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 04:41 PM
"Ya see, I'm never real' good with the magicians. They always pull some unexpected rabbit out of their hat. Perhaps some sort of protection against spells. I have tried to master the arts of using their own means against them - activating their scrolls through clever ruses, but.. It's hard. I figured someone of your status might be able to help me out with this."

planswalker
2010-06-24, 04:53 PM
"So, you want protection from wizards? Best bet is to kill them in their sleep. other than that, try having them waste the good spells on other targets. Cannon fodder can help, as well as dupes of other races."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 05:00 PM
"Problem is, he'll most likely have wards of some kind. If I pick his lock and sneak around in his house, chances are he'll have some spell active. I hate fiddly magic, it's not something you can simple defuse or disarm."

planswalker
2010-06-24, 05:08 PM
"Well, you could hire another wizard to help you out, one who can mess with his 'fiddly magic'. That might work."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-24, 05:11 PM
"Does any of the Wyrmlings-" Shalantan thumbs over his shoulder "do freelance work? I could use another pair of eyes and a steady hand to pick the lock."

Assuming they use Wyrmling as we use boys. :smallbiggrin:

planswalker
2010-06-24, 05:23 PM
"Sure do. I'll have scarfoot help you out. He's good at 'fiddly' things. Do try to bring him back alive. His talents are quite useful."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 07:34 AM
"I appreciate it. I'll need someone to deal with the fiddly magics. I'll be back soon. See you, sir Munch-a-lot."

Shalantan leaves for The Jacks.

planswalker
2010-06-25, 03:05 PM
"No problem"

You arrive at the Jack's warehouse.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 03:19 PM
What time is it? If it's day, I go to see the Daymaster. If it's night, I sleep until daybreak, then go see him.

planswalker
2010-06-25, 03:35 PM
"It's day."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 03:41 PM
Righto. Time to see the Daymaster. "Hey, Eagle, I need your help. It's for assassins business, and you know how they work - no questions asked. I need the services of a specialist - a wizard, or just someone able to dispel some magic mumbo-jumbo. Can you lend me a set of hands?"

planswalker
2010-06-25, 04:08 PM
""Well, i don't have just a whole slew of them, but i think i know a specialist who could help out. When and where?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 04:22 PM
"Let's say tomorrow night. Oh yea, where is another question I need answered. If I need some information, who do I talk to around here? I need to find out where this Wizard guy lives."

Accidently drew one of the skulks. :smallbiggrin:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8058/skulk.png
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/213/skulk2.png

planswalker
2010-06-25, 04:37 PM
'Well, the mage's guild keeps a record of all of their members. They don't like sharing it with outsiders, but i'm sure that won't stop you."

oh, i do like the pick. that'a my skulks, oots-style.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 04:48 PM
"So none of your boys have ever followed him? Damn bugger probably teleports everywhere. Where is the Mage's Guildhouse, though?"

planswalker
2010-06-25, 06:04 PM
"Well, it's not like you told me his name. I can't just read your mind and figure out who he is. As to the mage's guild, Its headquarters are pretty easy to spot over in the mercantile district."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 06:06 PM
"Huh, I simply assumed one of your status would know who the assassins want dead. It's Tiege the Mage, he runs the guild."

planswalker
2010-06-25, 06:39 PM
his eyebrows are raised in shock. "well, they have a lot of targets on their roster, and that one is the top of the list. They either want you dead or just simply think you can handle it. That mage is so paranoid that he has warded off himself so that those above a certain level of power can't even attack him. They must either figure you are below that threshold or just figure you're expendable if you can't make it. good luck. no one ever sees him wlking in the strees, so he is getting around some other way than walking."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 07:06 PM
"That's good to know. I think I'll find a way, though. Can I hire your thieves to acquire the information of his whereabouts? I'll gladly pay them for their trouble."

planswalker
2010-06-25, 07:10 PM
sure thing. 50 gold and a day and i'm sure i can track it down for you.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 07:17 PM
Shalantan gives the dayman 50 gold, then heads for the kobold den.
There's so much planning to be done.

Edit: Oh, and I sell two of the Human bane daggers. How much are they worth?

planswalker
2010-06-25, 07:18 PM
Big Boss is glad to see you.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 07:22 PM
I edited the post above, how much can I sell the two daggers for? 4000 each?
"Big grub-lova, I have a request for you. I've gotten hold on some more information on my mark, and I'll need-" Shalantan shifts his eyes from side to side, to make sure none of the lesser Kobolds are listening in "- Some.. Disposables to come with me. My plan is to have the door dispelled, then unlocked, then dispel every inch we cover - and have a pair or three.. Disposables attack the target while he sleeps. I pretty much count on the first batch not surviving. Got anyone you can spare?"

planswalker
2010-06-25, 08:22 PM
"Of course.take as many as you like. promise them all the gnome eggs they can eat if they win. those that volunteer are dumb enough to be expendable."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 08:34 PM
Assuming there is a gathering room
Shalantan heads for a gathering room. He jumps up on a table. "HEY! EVERYONE! Listen up. My name is Shalantan Drystaz'tharmenatharon, I am a good friend of the Big Boss. I need volunteers for an important mission taking place tomorrow evening. We need to take down a very critical ally to the Gnomes, and we need all the hands we can muster. We need Kobolds who can stay smart and stay quiet - sneak in, kill him, and get out again. If we do this, we have struck a very deep wound against the Gnomes. Who is with me?!"

planswalker
2010-06-25, 08:46 PM
"We eat him?" one of them asks greedily.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-25, 08:53 PM
"I just need his head. The rest is yours."

planswalker
2010-06-25, 11:33 PM
"YAY!" about a half dozen likely victims volunteer rather over-enthusiastically for the mission you just proposed. they are definitely born to be cannon fodder.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-26, 01:03 AM
This is the best plan ever.

Do the Kobolds have equipment?

planswalker
2010-06-26, 01:13 AM
only daggers. that's about it.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-26, 01:20 AM
Shalantan goes out and buys 6 morningstars for the Kobolds. He also buys an everburning torch for himself.

And sells 2 of the Human Bane Daggers.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-26, 02:58 AM
I drew the assassination attempt. Wanted to clear it by you before posting it in OOC. Also spoilered for size.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9130/theheist.png

planswalker
2010-06-26, 01:57 PM
good with me. it is now evening.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-02, 01:37 PM
Just to summarize: Shalantan has the services of 6 random Kobolds, Padfoot and some Wizard who might be able to dispel stuff. Correct?

planswalker
2010-07-02, 09:27 PM
yes, that is so. I think i'm ready for you to pull it off now.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-04, 02:11 PM
Shalantan leads the group to the aquired address, keeping a few houses away, but in sight of the house.

How's the surrounding area, how's the house, etc?

planswalker
2010-07-04, 02:50 PM
the house is one of several two-story buildings on they row. It appears unguarded but someone is clearly inside on the second floor.

if you want something more specific, ask something more specific than "how are the surroundings?" and "how's the house?" both are fine, thank you, and in excellent health (for lifeless objects). specific questions get specific answers.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-04, 02:53 PM
Sorry, I haven't written or spoken English in a week, and I'm still a bit drunk from the Festival. I hope you have realized English is a second language for me.
And actually, I posted in Punchellio (sp?)'s shop thread, want to get that cleared before continuing, if that's okay?

planswalker
2010-07-04, 10:52 PM
of course you can resolve that first, especially if it will contribute to this mission. I must admit that i was a little sharp with you because I had forgotten that this is a second language to you. Most of the time, you type it as well as any native. T
he sentence was really vague on what kind of information you wanted me to give you and in order to fully answer what you just did would require a very long description consisting of multiple posts. Since most dm's don't have that much prepared, one trick players can use to get dm's to tip their hands is to ask a vague question like that and see what they respond with. The dm then can be pinned down by not being able to later fill in a piece of that which should have been in the big description.
That is why i ask you to be specific about what you want to know. This isn't pre-scripted. I have the basic outline already in my head and I fill in details based around your character's actions and the natural flow of the setting. I'll try to remember that English isn't you native tongue an be more patient in the future. I had honestly forgotten that you weren't a native speaker. Most of the time, your typing is flawless.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 07:02 AM
Maybe a little harsh. "How is it" and "what is it like" is the same in Danish. It's easy to simply translate directly when tired. Anyway, no problem.

planswalker
2010-07-05, 07:07 AM
hey, no prob. I am terrible at learning a second language. I have a smattering of Spanish and some rudimentary sign language, but just don't have what it takes to be proficient. I will try to be more patient. How do you want to rephrase your question? I'll give you a straight answer based on that.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 07:11 AM
Well, he wants to know what would be relevant to him. Entry/Exit points, wall-scaling possibilities, rough estimate of the quality of the front door and/or its lock, will it be at all possible to get the team inside without being spotted? (As in, will they be painfully exposed at any point)

planswalker
2010-07-05, 07:28 AM
can do. will update with that just as soon as you finish up in the shop

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 08:31 AM
Righto. So the only thing different is, that Shalantan know has a gem attached to his head, and his purse is 3 daggers lighter.

planswalker
2010-07-05, 09:00 AM
The mage's house has only one entrance to the street. There are no windows until the second story. those windows are barred. The front door is not locked in an obvious manner

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 09:10 AM
Shalantan motions for the others to stay, then sneaks across to the door. Standing roughly 6 feet from it, he activates his Gem.

Taking 10 on Move Silently.
Detect Magic at door. 2/3 charges left.

planswalker
2010-07-05, 09:31 AM
there is magic. 3 rounds later, he realizes that it is faint magic. spellcraft can identify the school of that magic.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 09:38 AM
He gestures for Bob the Mage to get over next to him. "The door has a faint magic aura, can you identify the cause?"

planswalker
2010-07-05, 09:45 AM
he spends 3 rounds, then concludes: "It's locked with an arcane lock."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-05, 10:02 AM
Shalantan looks very determined. "Oh, it's only an Arcane Lock, nothing else? Friend, I have no idea what that means. Can you fix it or not?"

planswalker
2010-07-06, 09:07 AM
"hmpf. Well, i did prepare a spell or two for this eventuality." he mutters a few words over the door and waves his hand over it twice quickly. The door gives no visible sign that anything has ghappened, but he easily opens the door. "This will last 10 minutes before the door re-locks itself. we have exactly that long before we are locked inside. If a wizard of his prowess had only that to protect his main entrance, there is probably a ward just inside the doorway. I did not detect any other auras, so either the door is lead lined or this protection is not magical in nature."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 09:41 AM
"With 10 minutes, we don't really have the time to be too cautious."
Shalantan waves over Kobold Mook #1. "It's your time to shine, Wyrmling. Go inside quietly, and scout out the first room."
Shalantan motions for Bob the Mage to stand clear of the door, as he does the same.

planswalker
2010-07-06, 10:43 AM
the kobold boldly walks over the arrow trap on the second tile on the left walking in, and is skewered.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:09 PM
If the Kobold died quietly, Shalantan quickly stuff the corpse into his Bag of Holding, hoping the darkness inside the house concealed the Kobold's death.
Can't have anything messing with morale.
He waves the rest of the group over. "Follow my lead. Be ready for killin'. Oh, and avoid that tile." Shalantan gracefully steps over it, keeping ready to dodge the hell away from any more arrows or other nasty surprices. He makes sure the group is following quietly.

Just taking 10 on Move Silenty, for a total of 29.

planswalker
2010-07-06, 04:25 PM
the house is quiet. inside the front door is a tiled entry room with a hallway leading off. there are several wooden doors on each side. odd arcane marks are found all over the place. the place seems to be in slight disrepair, as if the one who lived here did not feel like he had the time to keep up the house and hadn't used a magical fix for it. the walls are made of wood with a dark stain. Arcane sigils glow faintly all over them. you can make out a staircase in the far back of he hall.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:28 PM
Shalantan activates a charge of Detect Magic, and looks around on the sigils.

planswalker
2010-07-06, 04:30 PM
you de3tect dozens of faint auras

spelllcraft to identify the school

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:35 PM
They're all faint? Great. That probably means none of them are Symbols of Pain or something.

He proceeds onwards, towards the staircase.

planswalker
2010-07-06, 04:36 PM
you find yourself unable to walk into the hallway. It feels like you just walked into a wall.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:49 PM
Shalantan uses the charge of Dispel Magic.

planswalker
2010-07-06, 05:12 PM
you dispell the permanent invisibility to reveal that there was in fact a wooden door. it has no obvious locks, but the knob won't turn

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 05:19 PM
"Padfoot, hey, Padfoot! What do you make of this?"

Search Check: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-06, 11:53 PM
he comes over, gives it a search quickly, and says, "Well, the door isn't locked, it's barred from the other side. If ya can give me a bit, I might just be able to get this open."

he pulls out a couple of tools and some wires. In just a few moments, he grunts contentedly as you hear a faint scraping noise. He successfully got past it.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 06:20 AM
Shalantan gestures for Padfoot to move away, then slowly opens the door. If he isn't disintigrated/frozen/killed/tentacled, he proceeds onwards, gesturing for the others to follow 15 feet behind him.

planswalker
2010-07-07, 06:33 AM
nothing else happens. the others follow 15 feet behind. nothing happens until you get to the stairwell at the far end.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 07:08 AM
Shalantan waves Bob the Mage over. "Detect Magic on the staircase, just in.. Well, case."

planswalker
2010-07-07, 08:11 AM
he detects, and does not find anything.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 08:18 AM
Shalantan advances up the stairs.

Taking 10 on move silently as always.

planswalker
2010-07-07, 08:41 AM
when you step on the fifth step up, you feel is collapse on you. the bottom half of the stairs slide into the walls and a 15 foot drop down awaits you. You try to jump to the edge and catch yourself before you fall too far to make it. should you fail, you will be taking [roll0] damage and are now in a 10 foot pit.

that better? the dc's are 10 on the jump down, 15 on the jump up and 18 on the reflex save. i'll be going out of town now and will have limited internet

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 02:47 PM
Reflex: [roll0]

Edit: Naturally, I get a 17. Shalantan finds his rope, and waits for someone to come to the edge of the pit. If/When they do, he throws the rope up to them. "Hold it, I'll climb up."

planswalker
2010-07-09, 05:38 PM
two of your mooks hold the rope for you as you easily make the climb back up.

"the wiz'll have a r'lease down here sommere." your padfoot mumbles gutturally

Shadowleaf
2010-07-10, 04:08 PM
"Well, Padfoot, I appreciate your initative.. Now find it."

Just for the heck of it, Shalantan helps. Search: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-15, 05:31 AM
you and he spend a couple of minutes searching before you find it. It appears to be alock that isactivated by a key. "I kin try teh jimmy it if yeh want meh ta," he says. He appears to either have a thick accent from a strange land or has brain damage of some sort, you think.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-15, 05:50 AM
"Go ahead."

planswalker
2010-07-15, 07:19 PM
[roll0]

he fiddles around with the lock for a bit

Shadowleaf
2010-07-16, 05:29 PM
"Well, erh, any results?"

planswalker
2010-07-16, 09:50 PM
:smallredface: oops. i meant to continue with "and the mechanism turns. the stairs are back in place."

"We'n kin go now" he mumbles.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-16, 09:55 PM
Shalantan trusts the runt, asks the group to wait, then ascends the stairs.

If he finds nothing dangerous just around the top of the stairs, he goes down again and gets the group.

Taking 10 on Move Silently as always.

planswalker
2010-07-16, 11:36 PM
assuming that he skips the fifth step so as to avoid setting off the same trap twice, he finds the top of the stairs to lead into an empty hallway. each door has a glowing sigil on its face. he then walks down the stairs, bringing his possie with him. He rather carefully instruct them to not step on the fifth step.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-16, 11:38 PM
He totally remembers to not step on the fifth step.

He faces Bob. "So, mister magic man, what do you make of these sigimalits?"

planswalker
2010-07-16, 11:48 PM
after looking over them for a bit, he says, "These doors are marked with an arcane mark and an arcane lock there is another contingent spell set to go off should the lock be disabled or distroyed. It will be difficult to tell what that effect is until it manifests itself upon being triggered."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-16, 11:53 PM
Shalantan glares at him. "Yes, explanations are nice, but results are better. Can we bypass them, pick them, ask them nicely to not set off a gazillion death rays?"

planswalker
2010-07-18, 02:26 AM
"Well, if I disable the arcane locks, an unknown spell will go offf. I could prepare to counter the spell, but then someone else would have to bypass it. I think the spell on it would be activated if one tried to break the door down. Do you have any volunteers?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 10:37 AM
Shalantan thinks long and hard.

Can I initiate maneuvers out of combat?

planswalker
2010-07-18, 01:30 PM
I dunno. ask rizban.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 01:49 PM
"You there." Shalantan points at Mook #2. "Do Kurtulmak proud, and bash down that door. The rest of you, get ready for combat."
As/if the mook attacks the door, Shalantan backs away with the rest of the group, clearing the area near the door. Shalantan then pulls out his bow, and notches an arrow.

planswalker
2010-07-18, 03:57 PM
as the guy gives it his best bet to bash the door in, the sigils glow. Your mage gets a panicked look as he realizes what spell is being activated. he quickly casts his dispell. [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-18, 03:59 PM
unfortunately, this time he was nt able to overcom te othe mage's more powerful effect. an alarm goes off with a terrible screech. An elderly humman in a nightrobe teleports into the hall right next to the door and asks, "What the hell are you doing in my house?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 04:09 PM
Shalantan drops his bow, moves towards the Wizard, drawing his rapier, and stabs him in the gut.

Assassin's Stance. Burning Blade maneuver.
Damage: [roll1]+SA[roll2]+[roll3]Fire Damage

planswalker
2010-07-18, 04:42 PM
you stab him in the gut and wrench wat you are sure is vvital organs

taking his cue from you, your mage casts magic missile for [roll0]. lthe mooks swarm him, giving you a flank while the pad foot draws his weapon and engeges him.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 05:06 PM
Shalantan keeps deadly focus on the mage. He takes another stab.

Shadow Blade Technique.
Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]
Edit: Taking the worse roll, doing an extra d6 cold damage.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-18, 05:08 PM
Cold Damage: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-19, 12:07 AM
da mage is now ded. you keeled him good.

you find 2400 xp on his corpse, as well as another 500 from the trap you overcame on the doors. his corpse had no magical gear on it, but you do find his staff nearby. if you want more loot, you'll have to figure out where he hid it,

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 12:10 AM
Shalantan turns to the group. "We did good, a great enemy of the Kobolds is dead. You are free to go home, Padfoot, I'd like you to stay for a while, though. I need your help cleaning up."

planswalker
2010-07-19, 01:23 AM
"k, boss" he says. the rest leave. the mage has the foresight to leave the front door wedged open with a pebble, so that the arcane lock won't trap you inside.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:25 AM
"Hey, Mage dude, you don't get to leave just yet!" Shalantan shouts after Bob the Mage. "We still need your arcane sight! I'll pay 50 gold pieces for you to stay."

planswalker
2010-07-19, 01:38 AM
"Of course then, boss."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:41 AM
"Padfoot, help me toss the place. Mage dude, stay out of harm's way, should we spring a trap or something. Look for anything and everything magical, if you would be so kind."

Room order: Study > Bedroom > Living Room > Kitchen > Dining Hall > Whatever's left.

Searching as only a rogue/adventurer would - bookcases are knocked over after Bob says it is clear, pillows are shook, carpet is ripped off, vases are destroyed, etc.

planswalker
2010-07-19, 01:54 AM
you find 3oo gold, 40 pounds of bat guano, a magic robe and a stafff. and the corpse of some idiot with two arrows nnd a swordslash in the arm who had been raised as a zombie before a toad had rather easily ganked it. oh, and a pair of boots and a pair of spectacles. all items magical. the corpse is merely dead.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:56 AM
Shalatan stuffes it all into his bag, pays Bob, then heads for the assassins' guild.

planswalker
2010-07-19, 01:57 AM
he arrives there

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 01:59 AM
Shalantan realizes his mistake, and heads back, dodges the step on the stairs, cuts off the head of the head mage, and heads back to the assassin's guild.

Once he arrives, he throws the head on the floor. "Told you he'd be dead before the sun rose twice."

planswalker
2010-07-19, 04:03 AM
"So you did, and so you have. Very good. You are now one of us. If you thought he was rather easy to kill, keep this in mind: he lead not because he was the most powerful but because he was the best leader. His place will now likely be filled by someone powerful. pray that it is not someone loyal to him. For now, though, you are an assassin. Should the mage learn of who killed his predecessor, we will take care of our own. We will send for you when we have another job for you."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 04:29 AM
"I follow the saying: Don't ask what you don't deserve to know. But right now, I think I deserve some specifics. How big is the Assassins' cell here in Sesbury, do we maintain a budget, do we have specialists we can call on, all that jazz."

planswalker
2010-07-19, 05:19 AM
"Well, we have a few assassins in various pockets all over the city. Only the honest man knows for sure how many. I merely recruit talent to my specific cell. There are now four of us, with you. I would rather you not learn of the others' names unless you need to. Secrets are best kept by few. If we should find ourselves needing more than our personal expenses, the Jacks do provide, assuming that the Dayman or Nightman one can allocate the funds our way. You will be giving half of your take at the mage's house to the Jacks, i assume. It would be terribly trite of you to foul that up on your first assignment. As to specialists, we can and do indeed sub-contract work when we need to. I have quite a few connections all over the place that I can call upon, just as surely as you yourself no doubt have someone who owes you a favor. Should this be insufficient, the Jacks do take care of our own. As an assassin now, you can and will be able to call upon the Day and Night men for favors. If you call upon something too big, though, they have every right to want something in return. Does that fully answer your question?"

is this close enough to the flavor you envisioned for the assassins?

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 08:13 AM
"I see. Your name, at least? You can lie, obviously - otherwise, you'll just be Bob to me. I'm.. The Flame of Death, I guess it translates to. Flame will suffice for me. Would it be asking too much, if I wanted to know the other members of the cell's.. Abilities and strong sides? It is no secret that my own is stealth, infiltration.. And ruthless precision."

I'd imagined them as more independent from the Jacks, more specialists than part of the main structure - I do like your angle on it, though. Let's roll with it.

Also, I envision Drystaz'tharmenatharon being The Flame of Death in Draconic. Or something equally thematic.

planswalker
2010-07-19, 08:11 PM
he chuckles. "Well, it just so happens that my name is Robert, Mr. Flame. Call me bob and i'll call you flame. will that sit with you?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:10 PM
"It will, Bob. But you eluded my other question."

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:35 PM
"Oh? about their abilities? well, I am the well-connected one. the other two are the magical and indestructible ones respectively. Do you need more than this?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:38 PM
"Nah. Just figured it'd be nice to know for future reference. I'll be back later.. This week or something. You can always get a whole on me through magical means I assume."

Shalantan departs, tracks down Bob The Mage and have him identify the loot. He'll pay him if he has to.

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:49 PM
the boots, robe, staff, and spectacles will each cost 50 gp to identify. he has to spend that much in costly components and wants to break even for this. do you still want to do so?

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:50 PM
Shalantan gives him 300 gold. "For a little on the side. You did well, you deserve a small bonus."

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:52 PM
"Thanks. anytime." he hands you a small slip of paper with his address on Broad Chase on it. "If you need spell services at discount prices, look me up. I'll help you out anytime."

edit: oh, and the items are a staff of illumination with 20 charges left, specticles of intellect +4 (face slot), boots of striding and springing, and a robe of the archmagi (red)

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:54 PM
"Sure thing. I'd give you my card as well, but.. I don't have one. Heck, I don't even have my own place. I tend to wing it a lot."

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:56 PM
he chuckles. "I know how it is, starting out in a new town. When you get your own place, let me know. I'll bring a housewarming gift."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-20, 11:57 PM
"Doubt it'll happen for a while. Free lodging is free lodging. Anyway, how 'bout those items?"

planswalker
2010-07-21, 12:03 AM
he quickly casts identify four times. It seems that he had anticipated needing to identify the loot today. "oh, the items are a staff of illumination with 20 charges left, spectacles of intellect +4 (face slot), boots of striding and springing, and a robe of the arch-magi (red)"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 12:35 AM
Shalantan donates the Robe to the Jacks, with a note saying it should go to Bob the Mage.
He then sells the Spectacles and Staff for 27300 gold, and equips the Boots.

He heads for the big boss.

planswalker
2010-07-21, 12:37 AM
he takes the tunnel from the mage's quarter. when he gets about halfway through, he hears an odd commotion around the corner.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 12:39 AM
Shalantan, not wanting to take any chances, gets his bow and notches an arrow. Sneaking forward, he prepares to let the arrow fly.

Taking 10 on Move Silently for at total of 30.
Hide: [roll]1d20+28[/roll

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 12:40 AM
Botched roll.
Hide:[roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-21, 12:52 AM
you walk into a teamup (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161021)

roll initiative for the new thread.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-21, 12:57 AM
Init: [roll0]

Shalantan drops his bow and draws his rapier, and goes for the nearest ratling.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:08 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.