PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Ghostly Grasp

Scipio
2010-06-20, 03:01 PM
A question came up recently regarding this feat for incorporeal undead. The item being carried by the incorporeal still cannot move through objects. Right?

Sc00by
2010-06-20, 03:17 PM
I ruled that items that are 'ghostly grasped' are treated like items that are interred with the body and become part of the 'Ghost' until such time as they are discarded.
Though you are probably free to do it however you like.

Scipio
2010-06-20, 03:33 PM
That is how I feel it should be. Can they use the item that is part of them? Like wearing a ring.

Sc00by
2010-06-20, 03:55 PM
GHOSTLY GRASP [MONSTROUS]
You can handle corporeal objects even while incorporeal.
Prerequisites: Cha 15, incorporeal subtype.
Benefit: You can wear, wield, and otherwise use corporeal items as though you were not incorporeal.
Special: Without this feat, an incorporeal creature can only wear or wield items that have the ghost touch special ability.

I'd say so, though rereading the feat I may alter my ruling on whether items ghostly grasped can then be taken to the ethereal plane with a ghost or not...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-20, 04:05 PM
As written, the item remains corporeal. It can't go through other solid objects. It's exactly the same as using a Ghost Touch weapon and not having the feat. The feat just lets you do that to any item you want, just think of it like refined telekinesis.

Scipio
2010-06-20, 04:38 PM
I think the answer comes from the entry on the incorporeal subtype:

Any equipment worn or carried by an incorporeal creature is also incorporeal as long as it remains in the creature's possession.

This is in the MMIII update to the incorporeal subtype. It does not appear in the SRD.

Draxar
2010-06-20, 07:31 PM
See, if it were being taken by a PC, I'd tend to say it lets them pick stuff up, move things around, and wear amulets and such, but it doesn't make them incorporeal with you, as that then means they're effectively getting Ghost Touch for free on their stuff.

Sc00by
2010-06-20, 07:42 PM
See, if it were being taken by a PC, I'd tend to say it lets them pick stuff up, move things around, and wear amulets and such, but it doesn't make them incorporeal with you, as that then means they're effectively getting Ghost Touch for free on their stuff.

But the rule in MM III seems to imply that that's the intention. I knew there was a reason I'd decided that it worked that way and the revision in MM III was it... (Damn my memory)
Ghost is (unless you use Ghostwalk) a +5 LA template. It's a big chunk of your character, and the investment of a feat for a 1 way ghost touch feat is fair enough. I think.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-20, 08:06 PM
But the rule in MM III seems to imply that that's the intention. I knew there was a reason I'd decided that it worked that way and the revision in MM III was it... (Damn my memory)
Ghost is (unless you use Ghostwalk) a +5 LA template. It's a big chunk of your character, and the investment of a feat for a 1 way ghost touch feat is fair enough. I think.

There's a reason we heavily restrict the Ghostwalk ghost template in ToS. Note that Ghostwalk Ghost does not make you undead either. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-20, 08:34 PM
Note that Ghostwalk Ghost does not make you undead either. :smallsmile:

B-Whaa?? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

What does it make you?

Wings of Peace
2010-06-20, 08:37 PM
B-Whaa?? :smallconfused::smallconfused:

What does it make you?

Outsider: Incorporeal :smallbiggrin:

Though leveling without using any of the books variant rules can be tricky if you want to avoid passing on to the next life.

My personal favorite aspect of the template is the ability to make a check to find your body. Leave it at important places to find your way back, or position it at true north and turn that once wasteful grave-site into your own personal compass!