PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Artificer paragon Path

Kesnit
2010-06-20, 03:01 PM
My group is getting close to level 11, so I went ahead and looked at the PP for a Gnome (Tinker) Artificer. A few I know don't work with my character, but there a few I think would work well. The character is not built for melee combat, and I have found summoning to be largely useless. (If my summons act, I can't. But the summon's attacks are rather wimpy compared to mine, meaning losing my actions is a waste of a round.)

The rest of the party is: Human Druid (who is acting more as a defender than a controller), Dragonborn Paladin, Drow Assassin, Human Monk, Dwarf Cleric, and 2 Teifling Warlocks.

Academy Master: I like not losing Encounter powers if I miss, but don't think the extra damage will be needed, given the large number of strikers the party has.

Self-Forged: As a player, I love the idea of turning myself into a kind of warforged. I also skimmed the warforged "accessories" part of the Eberron book and saw several that could be good. However, that doesn't come until level 16, and I can't use the Battlefist as a ranged weapon until level 20. That said, having a melee weapon could be nice, as there are times the DM maneuvers the monsters into melee range with me.

Spell Commander: Since the Druid acts more as a defender, the party does not really have a controller. Taking this path looks like it would allow me to fill in as a controller, which could be helpful. However, a few of the class feats and powers require an adjacent ally. The ranged attackers in the party tend to space ourselves out and I almost never get in melee range, so the chances of having an adjacent ally are slim. I kind of feel like taking this PP would cause me to not be able to use those abilities very often.

Any suggestions / recommendations? Thanks.

Jokasti
2010-06-20, 03:05 PM
Homebrew one for your character? I don't have a lot of have no experience with 4th Ed, but if there isn't a choice that you like, you should make one.

Kesnit
2010-06-20, 03:10 PM
Homebrew one for your character? I don't have a lot of have no experience with 4th Ed, but if there isn't a choice that you like, you should make one.

I do like the three that I put in my post. I was just asking what other people think of them based on experience. Also, I'm not sure how my DM would react to homebrewing a PP...

Kurald Galain
2010-06-20, 03:11 PM
Is multiclassing an option for you? If so, there are a few wizard paragon paths worth looking into, including two that improve your summons.

Kesnit
2010-06-20, 03:18 PM
Is multiclassing an option for you? If so, there are a few wizard paragon paths worth looking into, including two that improve your summons.

Yes, I could MC. I did think about that, and it would solve the issue about not having a controller. *thinking and nodding* I'll look at the Wizard PPs and see if there is one that would work.

To clarify my comment about summons... I took a summoning daily at first level and used it a few times. However, I quickly found that having the summon attack meant I couldn't attack. The summon's attacks were comparable to basic melee or ranged attacks, which means they are weaker than the attacks my Artificer would make. The summons were nothing more than another body on the field since they could not do anything useful except flank (which can be useful, but the times when it comes into play tend to be minimal). I finally got tired of having a daily I never used and retrained it.

DragonBaneDM
2010-06-20, 06:46 PM
Battle Engineer. Even with the errata, if you start bumping up your Con score a bit it'll be sure to please you.

Besides that, wait for AP2 for a useful Wis Artificer Paragon Path.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. The encounter power is Con AND Wis. I played one before, how sad is this?

Oh well, it's a great PP, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.