PDA

View Full Version : Wishes, Wishes, Wishes - What to do with so many wishes?

Defiant
2010-06-20, 03:14 PM
Greetings,

I have recently come across 10 wishes (11, but I used one up in order to place my castles). For what it's worth, it was after a fierce battle with a demon with the deck of many things.

Now I don't know what to do with all these wishes! I'm thinking I'll dump 5 into an inherent stat bonus (though I've already got my main stat bonus at a +5 inherent), and save the rest just in case.

I don't want to use them to make any magic items... 25000gp is nice, but it can be earned through other ways, while wishes can't so easily be obtained. I don't want to use them for any spells, unless the spell is absolutely necessary (in which case it would fall under the few wishes I'd like to keep in reserve anyways).

What are some good uses of a wish?

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-20, 03:16 PM
Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation and Candle of Invocation.

:smallwink:

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-20, 03:16 PM
I'd sell a few to Royals and the wealthy.

Or get some candles...

Octopus Jack
2010-06-20, 03:18 PM
Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation, Candle of Invocation and Candle of Invocation.

Agreed, triple your wishes :smallbiggrin:

Aeromyre
2010-06-20, 03:18 PM
My only advice is to be careful, if your DM doesn't want to break his game he's definitely got something up his sleeve.

arguskos
2010-06-20, 03:20 PM
You cannot save them. As per the description of the Moon card of the Deck of Many Things (only way to get Wishes from the Deck), "These wishes are the same as those granted by the 9th-level wizard spell and must be used within a number of minutes equal to the number received." (Emphasis mine)

I would personally wish for more stat bonuses or scrolls of wish so you CAN save them for later. :smallwink:

Defiant
2010-06-20, 03:20 PM
A +2 morale bonus to attack rolls and saving throws is not that exciting.

And I just realized that I can't use Wish to duplicate Gate, though I thought I did. I did inform the DM and the players that I could gate in all the solars that exist in the multiverse and murder the world. But I'm going to keep going with it. :smallwink:

We also considered pooling all our wishes and just win D&D, but again, we want to keep playing this campaign. :smalltongue:

Defiant
2010-06-20, 03:21 PM
You cannot save them. As per the description of the Moon card of the Deck of Many Things (only way to get Wishes from the Deck), "These wishes are the same as those granted by the 9th-level wizard spell and must be used within a number of minutes equal to the number received." (Emphasis mine)

I would personally wish for more stat bonuses or scrolls of wish so you CAN save them for later. :smallwink:

DM ruled that they can be saved. I even suggested to him that they shouldn't be saved to maybe balance it out (would have made my decision much simpler), but that's how it is.

arguskos
2010-06-20, 03:26 PM
DM ruled that they can be saved. I even suggested to him that they shouldn't be saved to maybe balance it out (would have made my decision much simpler), but that's how it is.
...would have been nice to know earlier.

In that case, save ALL ten of them and use them as solution buttons when you're in a jam. Wish should only really be used for safe things, the stuff the spell can do with no adjudication required. Use them as "OHSHI-" buttons, and you'll do fine.

Aeromyre
2010-06-20, 03:27 PM

If I was your DM I'd give you used candles of invocation for trying to break the game

Defiant
2010-06-20, 03:30 PM
...would have been nice to know earlier.

In that case, save ALL ten of them and use them as solution buttons when you're in a jam. Wish should only really be used for safe things, the stuff the spell can do with no adjudication required. Use them as "OHSHI-" buttons, and you'll do fine.

Yes, but that's a lot of wishes to hoard as "OHSHI-" buttons. I'd like some exciting stuff!

Snake-Aes
2010-06-20, 03:34 PM
Wish for a hostile balor to pop behind you >.>

That said, If any of your stats are good to improve, do it. You don't want to wish for artifacts? Maybe cluttering a couple together to get something bigger? You already have a castle. What about the required title of nobility and gifts to the local nobility so they don't screw you over immediately?

the humanity
2010-06-20, 03:47 PM
wish your party wizard was a half orc.

that'll teach him to fireball your square!

EvilJoe15
2010-06-20, 03:51 PM
Wish your self into an Illithid, and start taking levels in Illithid Savant.

Or if your a caster:

Wish yourself into a Beholder, and start taking levels in Beholder Mage.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-20, 03:55 PM
Wish your self into an Illithid, and start taking levels in Illithid Savant.

Or if your a caster:

Wish yourself into a Beholder, and start taking levels in Beholder Mage.

INTO isn't the word you'd want to use for such a wish... :smalleek:

ShellBullet
2010-06-20, 04:04 PM
Has DM stated that said castle have servents/guard etc,etc? You might use one wish to get loyal and competent subjects.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-20, 04:30 PM
Wish for things that you really really want, but are esoteric and otherwise hard to come by.

Decanter of endless water KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce? Check.

True Neutral enveloping pit? Check.

An ice assassin of an efreeti, subservient to you and only you? Check.

The flexibility of a cat so you can...err...nevermind.

A TRULY eternal wand (as in, at-will) of prestidigitation? Check.

A half-troll sandwich, with the ability to regenerate after you eat half? Check.

And so on.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-20, 04:34 PM
Wish for things that you really really want, but are esoteric and otherwise hard to come by.

Decanter of endless water KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce? Check.

True Neutral enveloping pit? Check.

An ice assassin of an efreeti, subservient to you and only you? Check.

The flexibility of a cat so you can...err...nevermind.

A TRULY eternal wand (as in, at-will) of prestidigitation? Check.

A half-troll sandwich, with the ability to regenerate after you eat half? Check.

And so on.

:smalleek: Ha? wa? I!

To the OP: You WILL wish to have Lycanthromancer make the rest of your wishes for you.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-20, 04:36 PM
:smalleek: Ha? wa? I!

To the OP: You WILL wish to have Lycanthromancer make the rest of your wishes for you.Well, the flexibility thing was 'Check' anyway.

Ernir
2010-06-20, 04:41 PM
Wish for a group of girls/boys/both (Wish 1) who are young (Wish 2), beautiful (Wish 3), absolutely in love with you (Wish 4) and into that kinky stuff your character is usually too afraid to even mention (Wish 5). A permanent Magnificent Mansion (Wish 6), Rings of Sustenance and Fortifying Bedrolls for the lot of you (Wishes 7-10), and a Clone of you so you can keep adventuring (Wish 11).

Tada!

(For the love of all that is fluffy, don't listen to me. Lycan has a better direction.)

Make sure you use your Truly Eternal Wand of Prestidigitation to magic away the troll taste. :smallyuk:

Octopus Jack
2010-06-20, 04:41 PM
Lycanthromancer if I ever get any wishes I'm coming to you on advice on how to spend them

Kallisti
2010-06-20, 08:15 PM
Can I vote Lycanthromancer for Wish in the Playground? Someone go start that contest so I can...

Jallorn
2010-06-20, 08:27 PM
I would use them to build a kingdom. Ask your DM not to be a jerk and twist your wishes then use them on things that won't skew the power balance of the group, but still make your character crazy awesome.

So tons of magic items for your kingdom that will let you rule while adventuring and nevereverever have to worry about coming to your kingdom's defense.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-20, 08:39 PM
I would use them to build a kingdom. Ask your DM not to be a jerk and twist your wishes then use them on things that won't skew the power balance of the group, but still make your character crazy awesome.

So tons of magic items for your kingdom that will let you rule while adventuring and nevereverever have to worry about coming to your kingdom's defense.

Now what's the fun in that? :/

gbprime
2010-06-20, 09:21 PM
Okay, so open your copy of Complete Scoundrel, and look at all the locations you can visit. They list arbitrary values for the feats you gain by doing so. (Skill Focus feats range from 2000gp to 5000gp, Iron Will or extend Rage = 3000gp, Any luck Feat = 6000gp)

So the question is... if Wish can get you anything of 25,000gp value or less with little or no hassle... can it get you a FEAT if you have the prerequisites? or a class ability?

if so... that's a lot of feats to power your build...

The Valiant Turtle
2010-06-20, 09:55 PM
Who want's a castle when you could get your own demiplane? See the Psionic Power Genesis in the XPH and see if he'll let you duplicate that. There's probably a magic equivalent somewhere, but I'm not aware of it. It's a reasonable request and very cool, although you need easy access to planar travel to make good use of it.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-20, 09:56 PM
If you want more wishes, here are a few more to round out the list (and then some):

A thick magic book that automagically keeps a log of everything you've said and done, and everything that's happened to you, since you got it, including the names and pictures of people you've met, and the circumstances under which you met them. Also keeps tabs on your current quest.
A bag of magic red felt buttons attuned to two maps. When the felt buttons are affixed to an item, they turn invisible to everyone but the person who applied them, and require a DC 10 Strength check to remove (which is automatically passed by the owner). One map is of a 1000 ft diameter area, centered on wherever you happen to be at the moment. The other is of a 1000 mile diameter area, likewise centered on you. The maps show the current locations of every attuned magic button not currently contained within the bag.
A bag of lodging. Looks like a bag of holding, except made of comfortably-worn but fine cotton. It contains a portable Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, and continually refreshes the air contained within.
A collar of perpetual attendance (constant unseen servant effect).
A ring that produces a Klondike Bar 1/day, which is enough food to sustain one creature. This ring doesn't take up a body slot.
Dust of snezzing and chocking. What does it do? We don't know!
A rouge cohort. Her job description is best left to the imagination.
A pet fighter. He can do menial jobs for you like clean the litter box and clean the bag of lodging for you.
A 12 headed acid-spewing aceto-hydra. It's not a pet, and does not like you. Roll for initiative.
A celestial sacred cow, for grinding into holy hamburger. Got milk?

Lysander
2010-06-20, 10:22 PM
Travel. A wish can teleport several travelers to a precise spot on any plane. So perhaps you can go on an interplanar quest to retrieve long lost artifacts, or something along those lines.

Or use it to resurrect the dead. Find the corpses of long dead heroes and good wizards, cast Speak With Dead on them to see if they'd want to be brought back, and then use the wish to restore them to life. Maybe you can get some legendary figures working to protect your kingdom out of gratitude. Also note that outsiders can be brought back to life with wish....

Defiant
2010-06-23, 11:35 PM
Well, out of honesty, I pointed out the stipulation on the Deck of Many Things about the wishes having to be decided in a manner of minutes, since I think he didn't catch that. So he said that it'll be a manner of days that I need to decide.

Making my decision rather easy! +5 to STR and +5 to CON :smallbiggrin: (character is a Marshal)

"Fear not men! I shall block the incoming barrage of arrows with my torso!"

Replies:
- I'd rather not break the game
- The whole castle thing is more of a background fluffiness... I don't plan to exercise it much in-game; I can already tell the DM is a bit worried about my heightened level of power
- DM says no to feats
- I've already gotten servants, guards, and other stuff for my castle, due to my sheer force of personality (with a 30CHA, and a 51 in diplomacy)
- Genesis is a level 9 spell from the epic level handbook; wish can only duplicate a wizard/sorcerer spell of level 8 or lower... and regardless, see above about not breaking the game

For Valor
2010-06-23, 11:48 PM
Ahhh... you should've wishes for a wand of 50 Wishes...

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-24, 01:59 AM
Ahhh... you should've wishes for a wand of 50 Wishes...Where, pray tell, do you get wish at level 4?

Anyway, wish for a ring of three wishes if you're going that route.

You can also wish for a fish in a petri dish.

Also, you're a marshal? How 'bout Con and Cha?

You could also wish to be a bard instead.

Defiant
2010-06-24, 02:33 AM
Also, you're a marshal? How 'bout Con and Cha?

Already have +5 Tome bonus to CHA. Next +5's are going into STR and CON.

Optimator
2010-06-24, 02:50 AM
Wishing for feats would be the route I'd take, assuming it's possible. My DM allows it.

Kol Korran
2010-06-24, 06:20 AM
i would join my vote to using the wishes (at least some of them) as "Oh Sh**" buttons. but that not withstanding, they could be used to further the character/ party's goals and aspirations... um, you do have some of those, right? i mean, except for getting as powerfull as possible which is what most D&D characters goals are... :smallsigh:
pardon me saying, but +5 to this, and +5 to that sounds SSOOOoooooo boring in comparison of some things you can do with creative wishes, and good DMs.

nedz
2010-06-24, 06:47 AM
I would have said Wish for class features from other classes, but since these are marginally better than Feats I doubt this will be allowed (from your previous comment about Feats).
You could wish to know more Auras I guess, or more uses per day of abilities you already have eg Grant Move Action, or the ability to use them as free actions (perhaps just 1/day). This is slightly weaker than Feats.

Wish to add a template to your race.

Wish for some SLAs, I don't know what might be useful.
These would have to be low level: Haste 1/day might pass, depends upon your DM.

Or simply duplicate a Permanancy - with the aid of you parties spellcasters.
Since this is a 5th level spell this should work, but you should save on the XP cost.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-06-24, 07:53 AM
If you have a Deck of Many Things, wish for a Handy Haversack........

On a serious note, Wish for the ability to be alerted when someone you care about was in danger (who, what, when, where and possibly why) and the ability to teleport to their current location. It's all right being an all-mighty adventurer but unless you're in the right place at the right time, if someone close to you is in danger there's not much you could do about it.

Defiant
2010-06-24, 05:23 PM
Wishing for feats would be the route I'd take, assuming it's possible. My DM allows it.

I would love that, since there are a lot of non-broken interesting feats I could take... but alas.

i would join my vote to using the wishes (at least some of them) as "Oh Sh**" buttons. but that not withstanding, they could be used to further the character/ party's goals and aspirations... um, you do have some of those, right? i mean, except for getting as powerfull as possible which is what most D&D characters goals are... :smallsigh:
pardon me saying, but +5 to this, and +5 to that sounds SSOOOoooooo boring in comparison of some things you can do with creative wishes, and good DMs.

No real goals or aspirations. Just doing stuff.

And yes, +5 sounds boring, but I think that's what I'm gonna go with :smalltongue:

I would have said Wish for class features from other classes, but since these are marginally better than Feats I doubt this will be allowed (from your previous comment about Feats).
You could wish to know more Auras I guess, or more uses per day of abilities you already have eg Grant Move Action, or the ability to use them as free actions (perhaps just 1/day). This is slightly weaker than Feats.

I've already got all the auras that I want, and the Grant Move Action is currently at 2/day, so I don't need any more.

Wish to add a template to your race.

Wish for some SLAs, I don't know what might be useful.
These would have to be low level: Haste 1/day might pass, depends upon your DM.

I doubt this would be allowed.

Or simply duplicate a Permanancy - with the aid of you parties spellcasters.
Since this is a 5th level spell this should work, but you should save on the XP cost.

I'm phobic of the dispelling potential of that.

If you have a Deck of Many Things, wish for a Handy Haversack........

On a serious note, Wish for the ability to be alerted when someone you care about was in danger (who, what, when, where and possibly why) and the ability to teleport to their current location. It's all right being an all-mighty adventurer but unless you're in the right place at the right time, if someone close to you is in danger there's not much you could do about it.

Again, a bit on the too-powerful side :smallwink:

jiriku
2010-06-24, 06:31 PM
I'm a big fan of finding the most powerful NPCs in your setting and offering to wish for whatever they want in exchange for future favors or assistance. The nobility usually operates on the favor system: get your piece of the action!

Also, +1 for wishing for a scroll of wish so you have a few you can keep for later.