PDA

View Full Version : Balance on this homebrew class [3.5]

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-20, 05:07 PM
A player of my group asked to use the Jumper (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jumper_%28Orion_Class%29#Jump) base clase from D&D wiki.

To be honest excep for this

Muscle Memory: A jumper can impulsively take actions from time to time to the degree that, eventually, his body actually can move of it own volition. At fifteenth level, a jumper gains the ability to take 20 on any skill check that he has succeeded on in the past. This allows for a jumper to automatically succeed a balance check made to balance on a particular log spanning a chasm, as long as he made a balance check to balance on that same log once in the past, and succeeded on that check. This works for almost any skill check, as long as it is for a check that the jumper has made in the past, and the conditions are at the very least, mostly the same. An example of a condition being radically different enough to constitute the jumper not being able to take 20 on the check, is a strong wind blowing as he is attempting to make a balance check.

And the fact that the jump class feature is (EX) when it should be (SU)

I don't find the class overpowered or unbalanced; but I want to see what the playground thinks.

Oh yes, to remedy the muscle memory thingy I though of letting the jumper select 3+Int skill and be able to take 10 in those skills even when they normally would not.

So in short, is this class balanced enough to let it in a game?

Greenish
2010-06-20, 06:21 PM
Give 'em "Take 12" for all skills that key on Dexterity.

Otherwise, the class doesn't seem that amazing. I wonder if it's intended that they have to move 15' to get their skirmish damage, but the "jump" only counts as 10'.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-20, 06:30 PM
I suppose that is intentional... but I guess itwon't overpower the class if I let him apply skirimish damage after the jump

Greenish
2010-06-20, 06:44 PM
I suppose that is intentional... but I guess itwon't overpower the class if I let him apply skirimish damage after the jumpThe text and table don't match on the "jump", you might note.

Temotei
2010-06-20, 06:48 PM
Make muscle memory only apply to physical skills, but with the same restrictions as the ability names (same specific situation, same skill that must have been successful before, etc.).

That way, you cut out Use Magic Device and such shenanigans.

Swim would only work if you were in the same type of water and the weather conditions were the same, etc.

Tumble would only work if the ground was extremely similar or exactly the same and nothing had changed the ground for a long time, etc.

Stuff like that might help make muscle memory better for use.