PDA

View Full Version : Inherited template Higherarchy

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-20, 05:55 PM
Okay, let's through caution to the wind and say that a green dragon had a child with a Dryad. Would it be a Half-Fey Green Dragon or a Half-Dragon Dryad.

What about Outsiders? Is there a formal ranking system?

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-20, 06:10 PM
I'd say it depends on the mother. Considering Dryads are entirely female, it'd be a Half-Dragon Dryad...

JeminiZero
2010-06-20, 08:11 PM
I *think* most DMs rule that when Dragons (both Male and Female) mate with anything short of another dragon, the result is a half dragon-something else.

Because, you know, the world would otherwise be quickly overrun by those randy reptiles. :smallbiggrin:

Enix18
2010-06-20, 09:41 PM
As Yuki said, I imagine the child would be of the same race as the mother (there's really no way to know with D&D's nonsensical genetics, but this seems to be the most reasonable way for things to work out).

Thus, you'd have a Half-Green-Dragon Dryad.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-20, 09:46 PM
I'd think either or. Depends who the child "takes after", mostly. Up to the DM and/or player, I'd think.

Eurus
2010-06-20, 09:48 PM
Flip a coin?

lightningcat
2010-06-20, 10:11 PM
In the case of the dryad & dragon, I would say that if the character is female then it would be a half-dragon (green) dryad. On the other hand if it was male, then it would be a half-fey green dragon.

As for other cases, typically I go with the mother's race as the base creature, and the 1/2 creature for the father's race.
The all male and all female races get their own rulings.

Rappy
2010-06-21, 12:17 AM
Savage Species has such a "creature type hierarchy" in it.

While I obviously can't note the entire chart (since it's, you know, not OGC), it is notable that dragons are above fey on the tiers of the pyramid. So yes, as others have suggested, it would be a half-dragon dryad you're looking at.

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-21, 06:33 PM
Okay then, Thanks for the replies.

For the record, The quest that this is for involve retreiving a seed from the hair of a Greater Valley Dryad (http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2ah5fy). Essentially a Dryad based on a redwood rather than an oak. The entire valley being protected by her and her children and her children's children. So they'll have a long ass fight on their hands.

Frosty
2010-06-21, 06:36 PM
I need to introduce a Half-golem Half-Fey Ooze with levels of Dragonfire Adept into my campaign jst to screw with my players :smallbiggrin:

2xMachina
2010-06-22, 01:11 AM
I see no reason you can't be Half Fey Half Dragon (Dryrad or dragon).