PDA

View Full Version : Did Eugene entered to Celestia before? [Origin's spoiler]

zql
2010-06-20, 06:07 PM
I was reading this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html) and suddenly remembered Eugene's tombstone in OtOotPc's, where are marked several dates of decease and resurrection. I don't know if any of them happened after the Blood Oath, but it seems valid given that Eugene becomes an adventurer after master Fyron's death. And at that time he was trying to accomplish his quest.

Anyway, do you think he was banned from the "revolving door" treat?

Starscream
2010-06-20, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure of the timeline, but it seems that much of the afterlife is forgotten after you are returned to life. Maybe he's been through this before.

Then again, I imagine that the celestials would have let him remember at least that his blood oath is really important, and he needs to do something about it. Seems rather unjust for the forces of Law and Good to make him forget something that will prevent him (and potentially his family) from getting their eternal reward.

Then again again, Eugene is kind of an ass. Maybe he woke up with a nagging feeling that he needs to fulfill his oath, and dismissed it as irrelevant.

fryplink
2010-06-20, 07:26 PM
doesnt roy remember everything from on the clouds and eugene doesnt ever leave said clouds?

Starscream
2010-06-20, 07:35 PM
doesnt roy remember everything from on the clouds and eugene doesnt ever leave said clouds?

Oh yeah. Hmmm. Maybe Eugene got raised so quickly he didn't ever get interviewed? Roy's situation, with his body and party cleric being separated for a year, was pretty unique.

I don't have access to the book right now. Did any of the dates on Eugene's grave suggest he was ever dead for an extended period of time? It probably just lists years, which is inconclusive.

Conuly
2010-06-20, 07:56 PM
Then again, I imagine that the celestials would have let him remember at least that his blood oath is really important, and he needs to do something about it.

The fact that it's really really important and he needs to do something about it is something he should've remembered from, you know, getting the oath.

Nave Senrag
2010-06-20, 09:22 PM

He says that he remembers everything that he saw while existing as a disembodied spirit, however he doesn't remember what happened exactly while he was in the clouds and on the mountain

RndmNumGen
2010-06-20, 10:35 PM
He says that he remembers everything that he saw while existing as a disembodied spirit, however he doesn't remember what happened exactly while he was in the clouds and on the mountain

No, Roy says he remembers the clouds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), just not the mountain.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-21, 01:08 AM
I don't have access to the book right now. Did any of the dates on Eugene's grave suggest he was ever dead for an extended period of time? It probably just lists years, which is inconclusive.
The dates are 1102-1124, 1124-1143, 1144-1149, 1149-1158, 1158-1159, 1159-1168 and 1168-1180, so there's no way of saying for sure. Any one of those deaths could have lasted anywhere between a few seconds and a year.

I do kinda favour the idea that he was never dead long enough to get to his interview until the last time he died, though. It explains everything without leaving any awkward questions, so unless we're told otherwise then that's the one I'm going with.

factotum
2010-06-21, 01:21 AM
No, Roy says he remembers the clouds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), just not the mountain.

It seems pretty clear that he doesn't remember everything about the clouds. If he did, he'd surely remember his grandfather (who was down on the cloud with him at one point) and also the name of the "glowing ball of light". I get the impression he remembers everything he saw while he was a ghost, a few bits and pieces about the cloud, and nothing at all about Celestia apart from the fulfilling happy blur.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-21, 06:34 AM
I get the impression he remembers everything he saw while he was a ghost, a few bits and pieces about the cloud, and nothing at all about Celestia apart from the fulfilling happy blur.
...and, apparently, some lingering images of his mother. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html)

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-21, 07:48 AM
The dates are 1102-1124, 1124-1143, 1144-1149, 1149-1158, 1158-1159, 1159-1168 and 1168-1180, so there's no way of saying for sure.
Huh. Well, it seems Eugene’s first death was approximately 60 years before the comic was set. Meanwhile, at the time Xykon killed Fyron, Eugene estimated he looked to be about 60 (SoD, p. 20). From the dates given in Start of Darkness, we know Xykon is around 110 years old. So, if Eugene’s estimate is correct (and I’m not saying it was), Fyron was killed about 50 years ago. That would place Eugene’s first death at least 10 years before he took the blood oath.

Whether or not he saw the mountain while dead at that time, though, remains unknown.