PDA

View Full Version : WFRP IC Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 06:10 PM
It's not been long since the Storm of Chaos, which has not improved people's attitudes towards wandering vagabonds. The forces of Archaon, Everchosen of Chaos, marched upon the Empire in an attempt to desecrate Middenheim and defame Ulric, and were beaten back; it all makes for an epic and massive tale, but it is not ours. Ours has humble beginnings, almost a year after the Storm.

As you follow the road that leads alongside the river Reik within the Great Forest, you come upon a small village, the first for miles. It is fenced, surrounded by fields with a few barns and sties, and a large sign painted with a rough design of a house in the midst of some trees stands by the main gate. You have arrived at the village of Waldheim just before dusk. As Mannslieb rises full, the sky is turning red, promising that tomorrow, a day late in Pflugzeit, will be clear and sunny. This is a small farming village, composed mainly of peasants' houses, built entirely of timber, mostly still and silent. However, a glow of chatter and the light of a wood-fire emits from the inn, a squat turf-rooved building with a cat emblem on the flag over the huge door and the inn itself seems to be the only place in the village still open so close to dark.

@Falco: Falco has it easier. He is a local peasant, and after a hard day's peasanting, he heads to the Felinfach Inn, owned by Kaspar Reinchert, for a chat, a few pints and another vain hope for escape from a life of soil and toil.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-20, 06:36 PM
As the sun is fading behind the horizon, the young halfling Falco is just making his way to the front of the inn muttering something angrily to himself. Covered from the knee of his trousers down in mud and muck he stops before the door and try's to shake the filth from his legs as best as he can before stepping in putting the best smile he can manage on he makes his way to the bar and hops onto the stool greeting the owner. "Herr Kaspar my good friend how's this fine day fared for you?"

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 07:07 PM
"Hello, there! Didn't see you over the bar. Same as always, Falco. Lot of kicking out drunks in the morning, lot of business coming this evening. The usual?" Kaspar, a burly, red-faced man in his late forties, reaches behind him to the kegs. "Heard about those sheep disappearing lately? Very bad business, if you ask me. Same thing happened in Kuseler. First the livestock started disappearing; and then one day everyone in the village vanished."

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 08:00 PM
business was slow in Altdorf, although, Altdorf itself was busy as usual. this annoyed Heimlich somewhat, even with the many numbers in Altdorf nobody seemed to need him, so he decided to take some time out and "explore" or more to the point, find somewhere where he was either making lots of money, or felt needed. either would do, as long as he could help those in need he was happy, as long as he had money in his pocket, he was happy. sometimes those things go hand in hand, other times, they do not. this is what had driven Heimlich to make his way out to this tiny town.

to many locals, Heimlich must of seemed like a strange sight. he wore reasonably expensive looking clothes, that were clean and smart looking and mostly black. his dark hair a little shorter than shoulder length, but on this day it was slicked back giving him a somewhat sinister look. in his hand he carried a breifcase like object, made of a black leather. he held the air of a man who wore glasses, but strangely does not wear them.

he strode confidently into the town, glad to arrive before it was very late, and set upon heading to the nearest inn.

Heimlich stood in the doorway for a moment, and glanced around before entering. he then made his way over to the fire, placing the case he was carrying close by his feet.

after a short moment he calls to the barkeep. "Oh, Herr keep. i would be most delighted if you were to bring me a glass of Loningbruck Ruby fine sir."

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 08:09 PM
The barkeeper bustles over. "Hello there!" he calls. "Welcome to the Felinfach Inn. I'm Kaspar Reinchert, the innkeeper. Will you be needing a room? Three shillings a night. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. No, we don't stock Loningbruck Ruby. Something else?"

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 08:18 PM
"ah, a shame Kasper, i suppose i shall have the local favorite, it is always nice to take in some local cultures."

"i shall indeed be staying the night, Kasper, would there perchance be a morning meal included?"

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 08:24 PM
"Yes, only bread and cheese, you understand, but we can't get meat so early in the season. I'll show you to your room, so you can put your things away," Kaspar says. "Ulrica! I'm just going to show this gentleman to his room, bring some of the house ale to this table."

The Ulrica to whom he calls is a girl of twelve or thirteen. She is a well-built young girl, with quite a plain face and long dark hair but her eyes sparkle and her developing figure shows a beauty in the making. She nods and goes to draw the ale. "Come on, then," says Kaspar, pulling out a ring of keys.

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 08:31 PM
"ah thank you, Kasper." Heimlich stands up, picking up his case, and wipes down his clothes for a moment, before following Kasper to his room and handing the man his money.

@V: when arrived at his room Heimlich thanks the innkeeper and goes inside, places his case and other belongings in the room out of sight and goes back downstairs to the fire to drink his local ale.

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 08:41 PM
Kaspar pockets the money and opens the door to the first room of several empty ones, before slipping the room key off the ring and handing it over. "Thank you, sir. I'll be wanting that key back tomorrow morning. Why don't you join the locals in the bar for some food and a good chat?"

-Sentinel-
2010-06-20, 09:08 PM
(So, we all meet in an inn? :smalltongue:)

The first thing Elsa notices when she enters Waldheim is that the village is made of timber and would be very easy to burn to the ground. Not that she intends to burn it, of course. It's just the kind of thing that catches her eye wherever she goes. It comes with being a pyromancer.

Dressed in expensive-looking orange robes, with a delicately carved staff gripped in her right hand, she does not exactly blend in. But she cares nothing about the glances smallfolk throw her. She is a wizard, and people respect wizards. (At least, in Altdorf, they do.)

"Hey, you," she imperiously addresses the first man who does not give her a wide berth, "is there a halfway decent place to sleep in this crummy excuse for a town?"

Diplomacy was never her strong point.

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 09:17 PM
"Go to the inn," grunts a scrawny, bald-headed trader who is busily packing up his now-empty market stall into itself, without looking up. "And just because you wear them shiny clothes don't mean you shouldn't show folks a bit o' common courtesy."

Bowerbird
2010-06-20, 09:19 PM
Igole was relatively content. Father obviously knew what he was doing sending me out into the Empire to make a bull of meself. I've already made a few sales of leather to those nice men on the road. They seemed reluctant at first, but I sure convinced them! Boy dad'd be proud. he thought to himsel, as he ambled down the road. His stomach began growling, "I could do with a feed. Think I'll stop in at the next town." he says to nobody in particular, patting his gut as he heads with purpose to the nearest town on the road, and then to their nearest inn.

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 09:26 PM
The inn door is a bit small for Igole's liking, but it is tall enough that he can get inside with a bit of a squeeze. All talk stops as he enters the inn, then resumes, louder than before, with uncanny speed, people revealing their fears through excessive shows of mirth.

The innkeeper doesn't seem fazed. "Greetings, good Ogre!" he calls, walking up to meet Igole."Hungry, I expect? Thirsty? Do sit down. On the floor, if you don't mind, I don't think our chairs could support your...carriage."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-20, 09:28 PM
"Careful, I could turn you into a frog," Elsa warns the trader. It is a lie, of course, but few citizens are bold enough to take that chance, especially in backwater places.

She finds the inn easily enough and swings the door theatrically.

"Tired wizard needs a room," she declares, loud enough to make sure everyone notices her entrance.

Sadly, a stinking Ogre entered the inn just a minute before her, stealing the attention she feels she deserves.

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 09:36 PM
"Of course, of course," Kaspar says, leaving off from the Ogre and turning to the newly arrived wizard. "Kaspar Reichert. Delighted. Ulrica! Do you mind seeing to the new arrival? There's a key." Throwing Ulrica a key from the ring on his belt, Kaspar returns to the Ogre. "Could I get you some ale, sir? Food? Something warming; broth, maybe?"

"Now, rooms are three shillings a night." says Ulrica, the girl from earlier, quietly to Elsa. She comes out from behind the bar, saying "Come with me, please." and she leads Elsa to another free room.

Bowerbird
2010-06-20, 09:42 PM
"'S alright, Don't need a chair, one sec." Igole grunts, carefully picking up a chair or two to make room for himself at a table, neatly (or near enough) placing them in a corner. He sits down with a loud thud. He clears his throat loudly before starting what seems to be a rehearsed speech: "Good evening sir, I would like to in-kwai-er about the paw-see-bill-i-tee of a meal, drink, and lodging for the night." he says, placing his hands gently on the table in front of him. He seems to be trying to behave as civilised as possible. He leans forward conspiratorially, "Preferably a large meal and drink." He says, like it wasn't already obvious.

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 09:50 PM
"Alright. You're going to have to sleep down here in the common room, though, I don't trust our stairs as much as I'd like to. But I can get you a meal and a drink."

The barman goes behind the bar, shouts something about "seven or eight people" and then goes outside, picks up a bucket and brings it back inside, fills it with ale, then plonking it in front of the Ogre. "That's a shilling, sir. Your food's just coming."

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 09:53 PM
Heimlich watches the events unfold. an ogre turns up and steals the limelight obviously, but he also notes the brightly robed lady whom is a self proclaimed wizard.

Heimlich decides now is as good a time as ever, so he gets up and walks over to the ogres table, and takes a seat opposite the ogre. "hmmm, you are highly intriugeing. my name is Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein, and may i inqure as to your name friend?" Heimlichs interest was raised over the subject of the ogre, a curiosity hit him, as he knew little about ogres medically speaking.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-20, 10:01 PM
"Yes the usual sounds good, it's been quite a long day..." Falco shutters at the news of the cattle and what it could mean. "I wasn't aware of what was happening to the livestock it is troubling news but I'm sure things will settled down soon enough, one would hope at least am I right?" Falco turns away from the bar to see the assortment of strange characters entering the inn. My, my, this will prove be an interesting night. As the Ogre walks in Falco's face seemed to have beamed, Oh my! An Ogre! The halfling said with such enthusiasm he had almost shouted it, he hopped off of his stool and rushed over to the nearby table. "Oh my you are quite the big one aren't ya'? Falco chuckled at his witty remark, "Please forgive my manners, it's always exciting to meet an Ogre I can't help but to make a acquaintances let me introduce myself. My name is Falco Bunce, and it's a pleasure to meet you Herr? The halfling wiped his hand on his pants and presented it to be shaken.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-20, 10:14 PM
"Now, rooms are three shillings a night." says Ulrica, the girl from earlier, quietly to Elsa. She comes out from behind the bar, saying "Come with me, please." and she leads Elsa to another free room.

"This should do," says Elsa with a smile.

She throws her backpack on the bed, gives three shillings to the girl and goes back to the common room.

"I'm starving," she declares loudly, sitting next to the well-dressed man.

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 10:33 PM
"excuse me friend." Heimlich says to the ogre before turning to the lady whom has sat beside him.

"and who might you be pray? besides a hungry, loud wizard? sorry if i sound rude ma'am but you did nearly burst my eardrum a mear moment ago."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-20, 10:50 PM
A flash of anger passes through Elsa's amber eyes, and for a moment her face tattoos glow a furious red. She forces a brittle smile.

"Elsabeth Holt, from the Bright Order, at your service."

littlebottom
2010-06-20, 10:54 PM
"ah i see, such does explain the fiery temprement. i assume you are an intellectual? what with being a wizard, i assume that requires a lot of hard work and study? well i myself went to the university of Altdorf, and am Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein. i hope you can appreciate that i do not appreciate the rudeness. now that is behind us i hope we can start off on a better foot. what brings you through here?"

Salbazier
2010-06-20, 11:23 PM
As Maximilian walks down the road to the village, the first thing he have in mind is finding an inn. The road has been long and it has been quite a while since he had a decent fare. Some gulps of wine will be good as well. He have enough money today.

Maximilian found himself reminiscing about old times, when quality wine and and delicacies were the staple. Strange for me to be melancholic. Must be the hunger He takes out a bit of ration from his bag and eats it to hold off the hunger for a moment while he walks.

Finding the inn, he immediately enter it. Once inside, he soon notices the sitting Ogre. An Ogre, and he looks ... a bit different. Interesting.

"A room, please" he says to the innkeeper "And some meals as well. With the best wine you have."

Xsesiv
2010-06-20, 11:31 PM
"Certainly," answers the innkeeper, fumbling for a key at his belt. "Ulrica, please sort out some food and ale."

"I'm Kaspar Reichert, by the way," he says, as he leads Maximilian to his room. "Throw your things in there, and you can come and enjoy a good meal in front of the fire."

Salbazier
2010-06-20, 11:57 PM
"I'm Maximilian Lanzo." say Maximilian to Kaspar "Thank you, sir."

Maximilian returns to common room imediately after placing his bag in his room, putting up notes organization and such for later. Now is time for other things.

Re-entering the common room he approach the place where the Ogre is sitting with a halfling. "I hope you do not mind if I join you" He says as he taking a seat beside the Ogre. "My name is Maximilian Lanzo. I must say, it is not everyday I have a chance to talk with an Ogre"

Bowerbird
2010-06-21, 12:38 AM
The barman goes behind the bar, shouts something about "seven or eight people" and then goes outside, picks up a bucket and brings it back inside, fills it with ale, then plonking it in front of the Ogre. "That's a shilling, sir. Your food's just coming."

"Ah, thank you! It has been a long trip!" Igole responds in a friendly manner. His way of speaking seems partially rehearsed and overly formal. He hands the man a shilling and takes a huge gulp of ale from the bucket.

Heimlich decides now is as good a time as ever, so he gets up and walks over to the ogres table, and takes a seat opposite the ogre. "hmmm, you are highly intriugeing. my name is Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein, and may i inqure as to your name friend?" Heimlichs interest was raised over the subject of the ogre, a curiosity hit him, as he knew little about ogres medically speaking.

"Nice to meet you, my name is Igole." he stops, seems to remember something, putting his hand out after a small pause.

As the Ogre walks in Falco's face seemed to have beamed, Oh my! An Ogre! The halfling said with such enthusiasm he had almost shouted it, he hopped off of his stool and rushed over to the nearby table. "Oh my you are quite the big one aren't ya'? Falco chuckled at his witty remark, "Please forgive my manners, it's always exciting to meet an Ogre I can't help but to make a acquaintances let me introduce myself. My name is Falco Bunce, and it's a pleasure to meet you Herr? The halfling wiped his hand on his pants and presented it to be shaken.

The ogre lowers his proffered hand, when the halfling bounces over, turning to face him, "Oh, hello! Nice to see a Halfling out here! My name's Igole, nice to meet you," he says shaking the halfling's hand, his former formality seems to have slipped a bit.

"I'm starving," she declares loudly, sitting next to the well-dressed man.

The ogre turns to look at the rude woman who'd just sat down without introducing herself, a disgruntled look crossing his face briefly. Once Heimlich starts talking to her the glare lessens slightly, and his attention returns to the Halfling and his drink. "I was raised on the Moot, myself, grew up around Halflings, me dad raised me to be a proper Moot lad, if a little bit on the big side. You from 'round here?" he seems markedly less formal talking to the Halfling.

Re-entering the common room he approach the place where the Ogre is sitting with a halfling. "I hope you do not mind if I join you" He says as he taking a seat beside the Ogre. "My name is Maximilian Lanzo. I must say, it is not everyday I have a chance to talk with an Ogre"

"Not at all!" the Ogre's mood seems to have improved with company, "My name's Igole, nice to see some people have manners," he says, giving the mage a meaningful look.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 12:59 AM
Taking a glance at the robed woman, he smiles knowingly on Igole's remark. Wizards -Bright Order, eh - and their manners As a student of science, wizards are not Maximilian's favorite company, but you don't grew up in Altdorf without hearing all sort of things about their lot.

"So you are from the Moot? That's quite unusual, begging your pardon. Though perhaps I'm not really justified talking about your kind or the Moot, as I know little about either.

So, what's bring you here, so far from home?"

Bowerbird
2010-06-21, 01:17 AM
Igole puts his "mug" down, turnng to look at Maximillian, "Pretty unusual I think.. Never seen another Ogre before.. Dad just said he found me by the roadside one day. Spent me life hanging 'round the shop doing odd-jobs while he sold stuff, he encouraged that for some reason.. never been too sure why.." he pauses and takes a gulp of his ale, "Anyway, one day he says to me, Son, he says, Son, you're gettin' a bit big for the Moot, time you go out into the world and make a man, er Bull, of yerself. Been travelling ever since. Sold me last bit o'hide to this lovely couple of gents on the road, jumped out of the bushes only to tell me they were a bit lost and ask if I knew the way to Altdorf, bit pale they were, I thought."

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 02:42 AM
"So, you make a living as traveling merchant? Not a bad way of life. I guess its natural for some people to be ... unsure how to act when facing a Ogre, but you'll be doing well I suppose.

"Seeing the world, eh." he glances at the direction of the bar, wondering where is the said food and ale. "Can you tell me more, Igole? About the Moot or your travel. I like collecting stories. Wandering without clear purpose like this, I take every chance I got to enrich my knowledge."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-21, 08:39 AM
"ah i see, such does explain the fiery temprement. i assume you are an intellectual? what with being a wizard, i assume that requires a lot of hard work and study? well i myself went to the university of Altdorf, and am Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein. i hope you can appreciate that i do not appreciate the rudeness. now that is behind us i hope we can start off on a better foot. what brings you through here?"

Elsa does not often meet people who do not show a healthy amount of respect for wizards. Hey, we protect the Empire! Magnus would have lost the war without us. Time enough to show off her powers later...

"I'm on College business," she says rather smugly. "My masters sent me to investigate the rumored presence of a warlock in these parts. Can't tell you more, sorry. I've already said too much."

Part of her suspects this is either a fool's errand or a deadly trap, but her pride will not let her admit it. And her pride has a right of veto over just about every other part of her mind.

littlebottom
2010-06-21, 10:55 AM
Heimlich listens to the conversation between the ogre and halfling, but the wizard diverts his attention yet again.

"hmm, i see. A warlock? i suppose it has given you something to do worthy of your talents im sure."

otherwise you would hang around annoying your superiors no doubt. Heimlich adds to himself.

Heimlich could grow to like the wizard if her attitude were to change a little. respect should be earned not demanded.

Mordar
2010-06-21, 11:16 AM
Kordon looked at the small village and was perplexed. What could have brought those four merchants to this little place? There can't be enough trade here to bring four guild princlings out into the woods, he thought.

"Ah well, not my concern what these daft humans do with their time. I've been paid and that's that," he said aloud, and followed the trail down to the town gate. Odd that they stopped back in that clearing and didn't come into town...Ach, stop it now. None of your concern!

The dwarf shook his head as if to clear the "unnecessary" thoughts and walked through the unguarded gate. Taking in his surroundings, Waldheim seemed a normal, unassuming village to Kordon. A handful of farms, a few businesses - an inn and a vendor on the street finishing packing his wears, that sort of thing. The tall man walking slowly toward what must be the inn did look out of place. His clothing was well-made, but old and occassionally patched and he wore a sword on his hip.

Kordon made a brief circut of the town...village, really...to get the lay of the land, and then seeing no other choice, headed for the warm glow of the alehouse. A glance inside one of the unshuttered windows gave him pause.

An ogre and...at least 3 other travelers...maybe there is something more here than meets the eye, he considered, wondering if the visiting merchants were somehow linked to this gathering of cityfolk in an outlying village.

"Well, a couple o' those folk look pretty soft and might need my help...best just go see," he muttered and headed inside.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-21, 03:30 PM
"You don't say Herr Igole! Raised in the homeland by a halfling, that is quite amazying your father sound like a great fellow he must be very proud of you." Falco raises his glass to Igole before taking drinking deeply from it. "But as you were saying yes, I was born and raised here in this very village. I've never been to the Moot but I have heard stories of it from mah' family and traveling folk, I would like to see it one day..."

The halfling seems to get distracted by the loud wizard at the table for a moment. He looks her up and down as inconspicuously as he can and gives he a warm smile before turning to Igole again and whispers. "You seem to be a very popular Ogre Herr Igole and I never mind a good bit of company, but the Fraulein seems to have a considerable bit more spark to her then the rest, if you catch mah' drift." Falco chuckles a bit patting Igole on his massive shoulder before overhearing what the Bright Wizard said about her business in town was, his face seems to have gotten a shade paler. "I'm sorry, I hope you'll excuse me but I'll be back in a moment."

The hobbit hopped off his chair and made his way to the side of the wizard and tugs slightly on the woman's orange robes. "Excuse me Frau Wizard, but you mentioned something about a warlock in these parts?"

-Sentinel-
2010-06-21, 04:13 PM
Elsa nods.

"My Order sent me here to deal with a dangerous hedge wizard. I don't know where he is, but I'll have to find out."

She has been looking for him for weeks, and is starting to doubt his very existence, but giving up is not an option for a pyromancer.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 05:00 PM
A warlock. That can be interesting as it dangerous.

"So you are a hunting a hedge wizard and a warlock, miss? How this warlock looks like and what he has done so far?"

littlebottom
2010-06-21, 05:10 PM
seemingly having won the small fued between himself and the wizard, he turns back to the ogre "Igole? that was your name yes? well, Igole, it is a pleasure to meet you, allow me to offer you a drink, infact, whynot everyone on the table. Barkeep, drinks all round for me and my friends here."

Heimlich gets the money ready to pay when the drinks are brought over.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 05:21 PM
"Oh, thank you, sir.

"I'm afraid i don't catch your name earlier. My name is Maximilan Lanzo, just a simple traveler with too much curiosity. What are yours?"

littlebottom
2010-06-21, 05:25 PM
"my name, maximilian, is Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein. i studied at the university of Altdorf for many years. it is a pleasure to make yours and everyone elses aquantences." Heimlich stands for a moment, makes a breif bow, then returns to his seat.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 05:36 PM
"Ah, a graduate from Altdorf university. I too once studied there, but I quit because of ... some circumstances. Now, I'm still bent on studying, I just do it directly on the field." Maximilian pauses for a moment "Not the best way to be a scholar, I suppose. But, it sure give some interesting knowledge you can't get even in the best library"

littlebottom
2010-06-21, 05:49 PM
"oh is that so? what is it that you study?"

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-21, 07:02 PM
"My Order sent me here to deal with a dangerous hedge wizard. I don't know where he is, but I'll have to find out."

Falco ran his hand through his hair, a troubled look appeared on his face. "Well that is troubling to hear, but Frau Wizard I think I may have a bit of information to help you with your duty. Some of our villages' livestock have gone missing lately it may have been just wolves or someone had left a gate open, but we've heard rumors about the same thing happening over in Kuseler, first their livestock went missing then everyone in the whole town disappeared. It's a grim thought and I hope I am wrong, but I think this could be connected with the warlock you're hunting." Oh Sigmar I pray that I am wrong.

The halfling stood there contemplating what these events could mean for his home his demeanor looked grim, until he heard the Doktor, Heimleich, order the table a round of drinks a small smile appeared on his face. "Why thank you so much good Docktor, I greatly appreciate your generosity I really need a good strong drink. Now that I think about it I have not properly introduced my self to the lot of ya'" Falco climbed back onto his chair and stood up, so that everyone would be able to see him. "My name is Falco Bunce, it's really an honor to meet you all."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-21, 08:27 PM
A warlock. That can be interesting as it dangerous.

"So you are a hunting a hedge wizard and a warlock, miss? How this warlock looks like and what he has done so far?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you more," she says with tangible pride. "This is wizard business, and I'm not at liberty to discuss details."

The truth is that they did not give her any details. This would make any pragmatic person wonder whether this warlock even exists, but Elsa is everything but pragmatic.

She is interested, however, by what the halfling tells her.

"Disappearing cattle, eh? Beastmen, maybe, they often steal livestock... and people. Filthy animals. We should burn down the whole forest to wipe them all out," she suggests, her eyes burning with something that is either anger or enthusiasm.

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 09:33 PM
"oh is that so? what is it that you study?"

"Science mostly, and some history. The latter has been a bit more enhanced after my journeys"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you more," she says with tangible pride. "This is wizard business, and I'm not at liberty to discuss details."

"Ah, pardon my question then"

littlebottom
2010-06-22, 04:42 AM
"Science mostly, and some history. The latter has been a bit more enhanced after my journeys"

"ah, it appears we share certain common interests then. we shall have to chat about that at some point. but for now, let us drink togeather."

"Disappearing cattle, eh? Beastmen, maybe, they often steal livestock... and people. Filthy animals. We should burn down the whole forest to wipe them all out," she suggests, her eyes burning with something that is either anger or enthusiasm.

at this Heimlich almost twitches. he agreed with beastmen being filthy animals and that they should be killed, but the seemingly sheer enthusiasm in which she mentions burning all the forest unsettles him. it unsettles him because the amount of none beastman life that would be lost, all the animals, and many people would die from the initial fire, but then many more would die as a result of the forests dissapearence, there would be no lumber for buildings and shelter, no animals for food. what unsettles him the most is the sheer numbers of innocents that would die as a result, and even then, there is no garentee it will eradicate all the beastmen. such a comment was proof that this wizard, while most likely an intelligent person, did not think anything through before saying it.

fortunately, the comment was redeemed slightly by the anger. that anger just showed the passion, passion to eradicate the empire of its threats, passion towards the empire and its people, passion for which settled Heimlich slightly, simply knowing that the comment although short sighted, was made largely because the wizard was a good person.

that one sentence said more to Heimlich than the wizard possibly realised, but the character was all there. still, it didnt help that he had an angry wizard sitting at his side whos temprement is clearly to burn first and ask questions later... Heimlich shuffles his chair away slightly... just incase.

Mordar
2010-06-22, 11:59 AM
Kordon, having been stopped in his tracks at the window by the array of...unusual...individuals in the tavern, shook his head and shrugged off the odd feeling that crept into his mind at the sight of such disparate people coming together in a place like this. If nothing else, it made him more thirsty!

Tromping over to the door, he swung it open and stepped inside. It was a bit warmer than he might have liked, but rustic and sensible...much like his favorite places in Altdorf. There's far too much of the dressing up of taverns...damn that Bennigan and his idea of making alehouses "family friendly". How can you have a decent dustup in a place with plants and little ones eating chicken-on-a-stake?

The dwarf moved to a table opposite the ogre - Quite the attention getter, that one...sounds like he's been 'civilized'...I wonder if that's a good thing... - and with a line of sight to the men and woman talking at the bar.

Bah, magelings. Well, at least there aren't any elves in here...

Kordon settled into the sturdy wooden chair and raised a hand to the young girl working the room. While he waited for her to make her way to his table, he tried to get a sense of who might need his services...

The burly ogre...trader?...not very likely. The mageling, perhaps, but that would mean working for a mageling. While unpalatable, it is not prohibitively so. The tall man he noticed outside looked fairly capable already, and none too well-heeled, so that wasn't a likely job opportunity. No, the best bet is the man buying everyone drinks and calling himself a Doctor. Let's keep an eye on him, shall we?

The serving girl had finally reached his table. "Evenin', lass. I could do with a couple mugs o' ale and maybe a nibble," he said, placing a few coins on the table. He picked out a few pennies and put them in her hand. "I'd also like to know what you can tell me about that man there," he said quietly, nodding towards Dr. Morgenstein.

Bowerbird
2010-06-22, 12:44 PM
At the Doktor's words the Ogre grins, "Good, all this talking was startin' to make me thirsty. Where is that barman with my food? Missing cattle? That does not sound good. I think I will stay a little longer, if only to make sure my new friends are safe." with that, the ogre begins the process of some serious drinking, preferably followed by some serious eating, broken only by his continued conversation with his new friends. It's been a while since people talked to me for stuff other than buying things or asking for directions. This is nice.

Salbazier
2010-06-22, 02:30 PM
"ah, it appears we share certain common interests then. we shall have to chat about that at some point. but for now, let us drink togeather."

Maximilian nods "Yes , we should"

I wonder why the food take so long?

-Sentinel-
2010-06-22, 03:15 PM
Elsa grins at the Dwarf who enters the tavern. She rather likes Dwarfs, no matter how uncouth they are: they taught humans how to make black powder, after all.

She leans towards him:
"Hey, is it true that you Dwarfs have a cannon that spouts fire?"

Mordar
2010-06-22, 03:26 PM
Elsa leans towards him:
"Hey, is it true that you Dwarfs have a cannon that spouts fire?"

"Aye, Missy, we do...oh, and the Engineers have a mighty weapon that does the same thing on the battlefield," Kordon responded with a smile, heading to his table.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-22, 03:40 PM
"Well, yes, that's what I was talking about. Sounds great. I have never met a problem that couldn't be solved by setting something on fire," she declares half-jokingly, her grin widening.

She leaves room for the Dwarf at her table.
"I'm Elsa Holt, from the Bright Order. And you are...?"

Mordar
2010-06-22, 04:42 PM
OOC
I'm only passing the offer by because I'd already laid out my intent to sit separately for the moment...assesing the clientele and all.

"I'm Elsa Holt, from the Bright Order. And you are...?"

Kordon looks back over his shoulder and responds "I'm Kordon, late of Altdorf. Nice to meet you." The flat timbre of his voice suggests that he doesn't have a strong opinion of the niceness of meeting a Bright Mage, but a collegial nod of his head precludes any real animosity.

Xsesiv
2010-06-22, 08:51 PM
"Evenin', lass. I could do with a couple mugs o' ale and maybe a nibble," he said, placing a few coins on the table. He picked out a few pennies and put them in her hand. "I'd also like to know what you can tell me about that man there," he said quietly, nodding towards Dr. Morgenstein.

The girl nods. "Not much, he came in with a black bag and says he is a Doktor. He went to see the Ogre as soon as he came in."

Meanwhile, Kaspar the barkeep has reached the others' table, and between refilling the bucket with ale and everyone else's pints, he also goes out to the kitchen and retrieves bowls of soup for everyone, with a huge mixing bowl and ladle for Igole. "Alright, Herr Doktor, we'll make it two shillings for the round. Otherwise, the food will be five pennies each, except for the Ogre here. Just for the amount, it'll be two shillings."

The locals are by now heading off to bed, in the inn or in their homes, but the bar's evening is definitely beginning to wind down.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-23, 08:25 AM
Elsa glares at her miserable soup as if trying to bring it to a boil by strength of will alone... not something outside her abilities.

"Bout time," she mutters almost inaudibly, paying the five pennies.

Gods, did she miss the Bright College.

"Hey, about the disappearances," she asks the innkeeper, "who should we see about that? D'you know someone who lost cattle?"

At this point she would do just about anything to procrastinate on the impossible tasks her masters gave her.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-23, 03:04 PM
Falco watched as Kaspar returned with the food and drinks "Thank you my good friend, and thank you once again good Doktor for you great generosity." When the wizard had gotten Kaspar's attention he leaned over to Igole. "Now I know this you're used Halfling cooking, but try not to be too disappointed after the first couple of spoonfuls, it'll grow on ya' or at least be tolerable." Falco smiled at the ogre before having a spoonful of the soup himself, his head made a slight twitch before slowly swallowing it down. Ah hard part's over now Falco drank from his pint before returning to the soup, eating at a more normal pace now.

Xsesiv
2010-06-23, 05:02 PM
"No, I don't know anyone, I just heard about it in a general sense. You might try asking some of the others." Kaspar returns to the kitchen, grunting unhappily at the comments about his food, leaving you with a few of the locals, who are whispering about Ulrica, who has since gone to bed.

Mordar
2010-06-23, 05:42 PM
Kordon raises his mug to the Doktor before taking a dwarfsip. The bread and soup are a secondary consideration, but as he's never been one to turn down hot food, it eventually makes its way past his beard as well.

Just as he was about to stand and make his way to the Doktor, he noticed the men whispering at a nearby table and strained to make out what they were saying...

OOC
If the conversation is benign, Kordon makes his way to the Doktor's table.

"Beg pardon," he opened, nodding to the others nearby. He fixed his eyes, one clear and the other less so, on the Doktor.

"Thanks for the drink, friend. In the spirit o' your generousity, I should tell you that it might not be wise to float in here and show quite so much coin. It seems a nice enough place, but an outsider with gold and no friends can soon become an outsider with no gold and no friends...an' if he's unlucky, no breath," he said calmly, trying to provide an air of friendly advice as opposed to veiled threat.

"You might do with a man to keep an eye on things for ya, and for a fair price I can be that man. Kordon Grimeye's my name, and I've served mor'n my fair share of gentlemen needin' protection," he finished, extending his hand.

littlebottom
2010-06-23, 06:34 PM
"Thanks for the drink, friend. In the spirit o' your generousity, I should tell you that it might not be wise to float in here and show quite so much coin. It seems a nice enough place, but an outsider with gold and no friends can soon become an outsider with no gold and no friends...an' if he's unlucky, no breath," he said calmly, trying to provide an air of friendly advice as opposed to veiled threat.

"You might do with a man to keep an eye on things for ya, and for a fair price I can be that man. Kordon Grimeye's my name, and I've served mor'n my fair share of gentlemen needin' protection," he finished, extending his hand.

"that is no problem friend." he shakes the dwarfs hand rather firmly but not too firm as to seem like his trying to hard.

"i suppose protection may be useful, i shall have to think about it, but for now, join us. i would like to hear more about you. my name is Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein by the way."

Bowerbird
2010-06-24, 12:12 AM
The Ogre looks thoughtfully at the soup. Raising the ladle and sniffing it, he sips the soup, swills it around in his mouth a bit before swallowing. "Hmm, I see what you mean friend. One moment." he rummages through the pockets of his travelling coat before pulling out a number of jars of spices. Igole opens some of them and throws some intot he soup, occasionally sniffing it as if to check it's quality. "There, hopefully that'll make it a little better." he says, raising the ladle and tasting the soup again.

Trade (Cook): [roll0]

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 05:01 AM
"Last orders, please, gentlemen!" calls Kaspar from behind the bar, as he hands a pint of ale to a heavily-tattooed, moustached dwarf of a man. "Bar's closing in five minutes," and he begins to rub a filthy cloth over the glasses.

Some of the patrons, locals, get up and leave to their houses in various states of sobriety, others, travellers, go to the rooms they have paid for. Most rush to the bar to get their last order in.

littlebottom
2010-06-24, 05:11 AM
"i think gentlemen, and lady, i will bid you all goodnight. ive had enough for one night and im sure we will meet again for brekfast tomorrow morning." Heimlich stands up nods his head and then makes his way to his room.

once he gets there he checks that no one has tampered with his stuff. if everything is in order, he will try and get some sleep.

Bowerbird
2010-06-24, 07:21 AM
The ogre waves goodbye to his new friends, "Nice meeting you all. I am staying here in the common room tonight." he says, stretching and yawning.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-24, 09:39 AM
Do all country people go to bed so early? wonders Elsa. In Altdorf, this would be about the time to hit the taverns.

Ah well, maybe tomorrow she could rise before noon for a change.

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 11:42 AM
The bar finally empties and Kaspar locks up for the night. "Well, I will see you in the morning, I suppose," he says, looking tired. "Off to your rooms, then, please, I'll just see to a few things, then I'm going to mine. Goodnight, gentlemen. Lady." With this, he heads off towards the stairs. Weary after a long, hard day on the road and soon drift off to sleep...

Just after midnight you are disturbed by a raucous noise just outside the Inn. Kaspar and another man are shouting at each other, and apparently have been for some time, but what is actually being said is lost.

@Falco: If you're not in the inn tonight, you are still able to hear from your house, and awakened by the shouting.

Mordar
2010-06-24, 12:01 PM
"Last orders, please, gentlemen!" calls Kaspar from behind the bar.

Some of the patrons, locals, get up and leave to their houses in various states of sobriety, others, travellers, go to the rooms they have paid for. Most rush to the bar to get their last order in.

Kordon joins these locals in the move to the bar, securing a couple more mugs of ale.

"i think gentlemen, and lady, i will bid you all goodnight. ive had enough for one night and im sure we will meet again for brekfast tomorrow morning."

Seeing his prospective employer heading up the stairs, Kordon raises his mug and nods at the Doktor.

"Good night, Doktor. Be sure to sleep on what I said, and we'll talk tomorrow!"

Given the state of his purse, Kordon intends to spend the night in the common room. "What'll be to sleep on the floor over there, Innkeep?"

OOC
Kordon owes 5p for food, another 4p for drinks and 3p for the tip so far, I think...how much for the common room?

Just after midnight you are disturbed by a raucous noise just outside the Inn. Kaspar and another man are shouting at each other, and apparently have been for some time, but what is actually being said is lost.

Kordon lifts himself off the floor and moves to a shuttered window near the sound. Shouldn't these farmers be in bed? I wonder if this has anything to do with those whispers about the serving girl...

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 12:15 PM
OoC:The common room is free. It's not common in such tiny villages to have to compete for space on the floor.

Kordon's view is not improved by the window, nor is what he can hear to any great effect. He can hear a few shouts about wolves and the name Ulrica mentioned several times, but the securely locked shutters still muffle out the sound.

ZeltArruin
2010-06-24, 12:25 PM
The yelling outside slowly dragged Ragnar out of his alcohol induced sleep, after shaking his head and running his hand across his stubbly face, he hopped up with surprising grace, only to stumble into the wall mere moments later. The ale, it seems, was still affecting him. He had been sleeping on a pillow made of axes and hammers, and now he quickly shifted them to their positions on his belt and back. He hadn't noticed the other dwarf the night before, but then, he had been rather deep in the drink, so it was no surprise that his last memories were walking into the tavern yesterday. He stumped his way over to the other dwarf, his stench proceeding him, asking him what seemed to be happening outside with a,"Eh?"

perception test to see if I can hear anything:
[roll0]

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 12:27 PM
Ragnar cannot hear anything. Then again, he has not opened the front door, leading to where the argument is taking place.

Mordar
2010-06-24, 12:40 PM
Kordon's view is not improved by the window, nor is what he can hear to any great effect. He can hear a few shouts about wolves and the name Ulrica mentioned several times, but the securely locked shutters still muffle out the sound.

Kordon shrugs at the other dwarf's questioning look, slips his hand into his pocket and finds his knuckledusters and heads for front door.

Looking back at the stubbled dwarf he considers for a moment and then moves his head towards the door in a "You coming?" gesture.

Bowerbird
2010-06-24, 01:58 PM
The ogre jerks awake with a snort, "Herwha? Wha's all 'is noise 'bout?" he grumbles, dragging himself to his feet. He slowly and blearily walks over to the door to the inn.

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 02:03 PM
Exiting the inn, Igole nearly lumbers into the back of Kaspar who, you see, is engaged in a heated conversation with a balding middle-aged man. A quick look around shows that half the village are gathered in the street, listening to the exchange.

Kaspar calls out "Will you stop being absurd, Tomas? Tell everyone to go back to their beds so we can get up in the morning. Ulrica has probably just found a small dark hole to hide from her nightmares again."
The other man, apparently named Tomas, responds with "I tell you, there are wolf prints inside the village, and I haven't seen her all night! The beasts must have taken her!"
"They’re probably just the prints of Herr Meinolf’s dog. And after all, even if they're not, how are wolves - wolves, I ask you - supposed to have got Ulrica out of the village?"
Tomas is indignant. "They’re definitely wolf prints, Kaspar! Now I ask you again, will you help me to track down the beasts who take our livestock and rid the village of them once and for all?"
Kaspar's reply is short and to the point; "No!" Kaspar then turns to the gathered crowd and speaks with a loud clear voice; "And I suggest the rest of you go back home to your beds and forget this silly idea of a hunt."
Tomas ignores him. "My daughter is missing and I’m going to get her back, with or without your help! Who’s with me?"

A general (but by no means universal) cheer of "Aye!" ripples across the crowd.

Kaspar: "Wait until morning. If Ulrica isn’t back by then, I’ll help you look for her. We’ll have a better chance of following any trail in the light of day."
Tomas: "Go back to bed if you want to, Kaspar! You can keep out of this. We dont need you; we’ll find Ulrica and destroy the beasts without your help!" Tomas then turns to the crowd and shouts "Let's go!", before turning and moving to the village gates. The people in the crowd go to their homes and either retreive weapons or go back to bed. Those that pick up weapons move to meet Tomas at the gate.

Kaspar, sighing, shakes his head, then turns and walks back into the inn past you.

ZeltArruin
2010-06-24, 02:15 PM
Seeing the ogre get up, Ragnar tenses, ready to tear the axes off his belt and bury them in the ogres thick skull. With a bit of self control, he manages not to and heads outside with the other dwarf, only to see the scene unfold before him.
"Heh, foolish manling," he mutters, shaking his head and crossing his arms as Tomas rallies the peasents. Though, thinking about it, Ragnar considered the possibility of wandering through the woods in the middle of the night fighting wolves, and perhaps even beastmen, rather alluring, so he began walking towards where Tomas had gone to.

littlebottom
2010-06-24, 02:30 PM
"whats all this noise?"Heimlich muses to himself. "soundd like theres gonna be trouble, but i suppose that sort of thing happens when drink filled arguments start... i suppose i should check it out incase im needed."

Heimlich stumbles half naked, down the stairs. his body is that of a quite physically fit young man, not particularily muscular or tough looking though.

when in earshot of the argument he groans. sounds like some idiot is going to wander off in the middle of the night into danger. sounds like id best go and stop the poor man bleeding to death when he gets stabbed by a thorn and cries *heimlich sighs, but it appears his services might be needed and thus returns to his room to get dressed and collect his things.

when he returns downstairs he finds Kaspar, "ah, Kaspar my good man. would you be able to take a message for any of those whom were with me at the table last night. if they stay here and find me gone by morning, tell them that ive gone to see that the poor bastard doesnt get himself killed, and that i should be returning later, just so they know that ive not wandered off. that would be ever so kind" Heimlich assuming that his the only one stupid enough to go with the man.

he quickly leaves and heads over to Tomas. "ah, i believe you are Tomas? would that be correct? I am Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein, and i heard your argument with herr Kaspar, i thought you could do with the assistance of a medic, but would you mind waiting here a moment while i wake up fully, i was drinking last night and i dont want to have to do anything while in a state to make mistakes"

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 02:33 PM
The hunters have met up at the village gates with Ulrica’s father coordinating the hunt.

"We will split into groups of ten or twelve and pick up the wolves' trail outside the village. Each group needs an archer with them, then, if you find the wolves den and don’t think you can take them out alone, send up a lit arrow as a signal and we’ll all make our way to you. Not only will we be able to save my daughter, we’ll also destroy the beasts who keep taking our livestock. If everyone is ready, let’s light these torches and get on with the hunt!"

For a simple farmer, Tomas evidently has a lot of respect from the villagers and apart from a couple of questions of clarification everyone quickly splits into small groups, apparently friendship groups, each with at least one archer and a number of torches.

"What happens if nobody sees the signal?" asks a peasant with a pitchfork and a limp.

"Send up another one, if you're not sure."

"What if the archer goes down?" asks another, a quivering-lipped boy with a shortbow.

"I'm sure someone else can aim a bow up."

Steadily the groups leave the village and make their way towards the edge of the forest, heads down looking for tracks to follow.

"long long post"

"Well, my group has a medic," Tomas indicates a young man in a Shallyan priest's robes. "And moreover, we're about to move off. We could definitely do with your help, though. Join one of the other groups, we're going out in tens and twelves."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-24, 02:40 PM
he quickly leaves and heads over to Tomas. "ah, i believe you are Tomas? would that be correct? I am Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein, and i heard your argument with herr Kaspar, i thought you could do with the assistance of a medic, but would you mind waiting here a moment while i wake up fully, i was drinking last night and i dont want to have to do anything while in a state to make mistakes"

Ragnar notices this other man from the tavern he was staying in joining the mob of stupid peasants and listened in as he spoke, content to garner a secondhand conversation with Tomas, nodding as he understood the orders he was given. "Ah, doktor Hemlick," he said, mispronouncing the good Doktor's name, either intentional or no, it was difficult to say. "We're goin' with tha' lot," he said, pointing out the smallest of the mobs of peasents. At that, Ragnar assumed the townsfolk would be happy, dwarfs were known for their skill at arms. "The way they look, they'll be needin' yer skills at healin'," he added loud enough for them to hear.

Xsesiv
2010-06-24, 02:45 PM
The smallest group left consists of a pair of short, dark-haired bowmen who look almost exactly alike, as well as two older men, in their late forties. "We're the Hofstetters. I'm Hagar Hofstetter," says one of the identical pair, distinguishable by a large mole on his nose, and "Hugo. Hugo Hofstetter," the other. Both look to be in their late twenties.

Of the older pair, a small, wiry-looking blond one holds a cheap-looking sword and the other, huge with long brown hair and rough clothes, has a large, old woodsman’s axe slung over his shoulder. "My name's Erhl Naubhof," says the slim one, with the distinctive twang of a Middenheim accent. "Pleased to meet you." "Deitlef Reiss," grunts the large man. "Looks like we're together for the duration."

littlebottom
2010-06-24, 02:50 PM
at the dwarfs attempt to say his name Heimlich turns to face him, and smiles as if nothing was wrong. Heimlich did not mind it seems, and strangely he did not even correct the dwarf. "yes i agree, i shall join with them too. i trust the shallyan priest is well trained."

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-24, 02:58 PM
"And my name is Falco Bunce" Falco had a mildly annoyed tone to his voice from being forgotten, of course he new it couldn't be helped with his small stature it was hard to notice him especially at night. "It's good to see you again Doktor Heimlich, I don't think we've had the pleasure though Master Dwarf..."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-24, 03:03 PM
"And my name is Falco Bunce" Falco had a mildly annoyed tone to his voice from being forgotten, of course he new it couldn't be helped with his small stature it was hard to notice him especially at night. "It's good to see you again Doktor Heimlich, I don't think we've had the pleasure though Master Dwarf..."

"Ragnar, son of Kurgon," he said, introducing himself to all gathered at the time. He looked at the halfling skeptically, doubting his skill at combat, but saying nothing. His hands were resting on the heads of his axes, the anticipation of the fight to come growing rapidly.

Mordar
2010-06-24, 03:12 PM
Having noticed that the Doktor was prepared to head off into the dark woods, Kordon felt this was the time to best make his case. First one's free...

Slipping back inside the tavern he gathered up his remaining meager possessions, checked his knives, and headed back outside to join the group.

"Well, then...let's see what lurks in these woods."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-24, 04:14 PM
(OOC: Holy crap, things are going fast.)

Elsa hated many things, but being woken up in the middle of the night was near the top of her list. She first tried to ignore the noise and go back to sleep, but when she had had enough she dragged her feet out of her room with her quarter staff in hand, angrily determined to put a violent end to the commotion.

"What's happening outside?" she asked the dwarf Kordon, who had just come back into the inn to take a few things.

(Assuming Kordon answers her:)

Elsa's face split into a vicious grin. A wolf hunt? Now that was something worth being woken up for.

"Wait for me! I'm coming."

She hurried back to her room, grabbed the rest of her equipment and ran outside to join the hunt.

Bowerbird
2010-06-24, 10:41 PM
Igole stands in the doorway watching the mobs form, "Hmm.. maybe I should help them..." he stops as if remembering something, "Hey, Mister Kaspar, you said she might have run away, why would she have run away? She seemed nice."

Salbazier
2010-06-25, 10:36 AM
The girl nods. "Not much, he came in with a black bag and says he is a Doktor. He went to see the Ogre as soon as he came in."

Meanwhile, Kaspar the barkeep has reached the others' table, and between refilling the bucket with ale and everyone else's pints, he also goes out to the kitchen and retrieves bowls of soup for everyone, with a huge mixing bowl and ladle for Igole. "Alright, Herr Doktor, we'll make it two shillings for the round. Otherwise, the food will be five pennies each, except for the Ogre here. Just for the amount, it'll be two shillings."

The locals are by now heading off to bed, in the inn or in their homes, but the bar's evening is definitely beginning to wind down.

"Thank you, Herr Kaspar." Maximilian reach to his pocket for five pennies and give it to the bartender. He then begin to eat and drink heartily, ceasing to converse for a monent

The ale was not amazing but decent. Too bad the soup is not as appetizing as he hope, but the ogre's spice make it a bit better. At any rate, remembering his fare this last few days, it isn't that bad.

After the dinner finished he bid thank you for the conversation and retreat for a good night sleep in bed. The tiredness make him fall into sleep quickly and only slowly awoken by the sounds coming from downstairs.

"Uhh, what is all that noise" He went down to check. He notice Igole with Kaspar on the doorway and approach them to ask. "What is happening? What with all this people gathering?"

Some urgent crisis apparently. Maybe someone is dying or there's an attack from bandits or beastmen.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-25, 12:03 PM
"Serving girl's disappeared," Elsa told Max curtly as she hurried outside. "Some are saying wolves took her."

Then she disappeared in the darkness.

Xsesiv
2010-06-25, 12:48 PM
Igole stands in the doorway watching the mobs form, "Hmm.. maybe I should help them..." he stops as if remembering something, "Hey, Mister Kaspar, you said she might have run away, why would she have run away? She seemed nice."

"I didn't say that at all," says Kaspar, making for his bedroom, soon reaching it and locking the door. "May I go to sleep, please?"

"Come on," says Detleif, trying to take the initiative. "If we can find a trail, we can find the wolves, and then the girl." He, Erhl and the two Hofstetters bend and search for tracks.

Mannsleib is full so there is some light. Therefore, a Routine (+10) Perception Test (with a one-off bonus of +10% for the Follow Trail Skill) will allow you to pick up one of several wolf trails. Rolling for the NPCs.
[roll0] Hugo (Target 73)
[roll1] Hagar (Target 67)
[roll2] Erhl (Target 42)
[roll3] Deitlef (Target 37)

Both brothers find a trail, which turn out to be different parts of the same one, with few tracks in between the places they found it, but it does lead into the forest clearly enough. Deitlef also finds a trail, which is somewhat clearer, and also leads into the forest.

Salbazier
2010-06-25, 01:26 PM
"Wait, I'll help as well"

Maximilian quickly gather his stuffs and run to join the hunting group with Elsa and others.

Mordar
2010-06-25, 01:28 PM
Between the light of the full moon and his dwarven night vision, Kordon can see as though it were no worse than a cloudy day...but that doesn't mean he can track anything other than mud on the taproom floor after a rainy day! With his buckler affixed to his left arm and the heavy brass knuckledusters on his right hand, he follows the locals into the woods.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-25, 01:58 PM
Elsa poured a few drops of oil on the tip of her staff and made a great show of commanding it to burst into light.

Channelling test (WP 34): [roll0]
Spell ingredient: drop of oil (+1)
Casting roll for Glowing Light (target 3): [roll1]

She then examined the two trails, trying to find signs of struggle: even a little girl would be able to put up a fight (or at least leave signs on the ground) if a wolf took her in its jaws.

Perception: [roll2]

ZeltArruin
2010-06-25, 04:26 PM
Ragnar followed the group off into the woods and decided he too would attempt to see if he could follow any trails.
[roll0](target 37)

Xsesiv
2010-06-25, 04:43 PM
Elsa poured a few drops of oil on the tip of her staff and made a great show of commanding it to burst into light.

Channelling test (WP 34): [roll0]
Spell ingredient: drop of oil (+1)
Casting roll for Glowing Light (target 3): [roll1]
This fails.

She then examined the two trails, trying to find signs of struggle: even a little girl would be able to put up a fight (or at least leave signs on the ground) if a wolf took her in its jaws.

There are none.

"Hey, over here!" calls Deitlef, having moved off down the track. "This is the freshest one. The grass is still crushed by the prints. If wolves went into the forest tonight, they came this way." He begins to follow the trail deeper into the forest.

Mordar
2010-06-25, 04:53 PM
Kordon follows Deitlef while keeping an eye on the Doktor.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-25, 05:49 PM
Perception test [roll0] Target 54 thanks to excellent vision

Falco follows behind Kordon and the Doktor with his axe in hand, he keeps an eye out for anything that may stick out. "I really hope that Ulrica is alright, she's such fine of a lass, I'd hate to see something happen to her." The halflings face grimaces for a moment but then hardens for the task at hand.

littlebottom
2010-06-25, 05:57 PM
I cant help but feel theres something fishey about this... Heimlich thinks to himself. no signs of trouble, suspicously obvious tracks leading this way, ok the tracks get harder to find from here but the fact they pointed this way so obviously to begin with was suspicous... it made him think there may be a trap involved. of course, this may be unfounded, maybe it was just paranoia.

"i hope we find them soon and get this done with, with as few injuries as possible." the Doktor muses largely to himself.

Bowerbird
2010-06-25, 10:36 PM
"Ok. Huh, well that was strange.." the ogre mumbles to himself, as he ambles along after the search parties with his friends in them, "I could have sworn he said somethin about a hole.." he doesn't really join a search party so much as amble along after Falco.

Salbazier
2010-06-26, 04:15 AM
Maximilian follow along the others. He doesn't say anything as he walk. There are prints, but no blood or other sign. Well, that at least mean the girl is not eaten by wolf yet.

Xsesiv
2010-06-26, 07:36 AM
The atmosphere of the forest as you continue is distinctly unwelcoming, though Deitlef manages to stay on the trail. The leaves of the undergrowth around the group rustle as if you are being tracked yourselves. A wolf howls in the distance and as it does a cold wind blows through the trees parting the leaves briefly to allow Mannsleib’s light to illuminate the path. An owl, disturbed by you all walking past, swoops from the branch of a tree, hooting as it flies over top of the party; so low does it fly that you can feel the air movement from the beat of its wings.

The occasional sharply uttered cries of "What was that?" and "Did you hear that?" from Hugo (who has thus far remained at the back of the group, gripping his bow as tightly as he is able) range in effect from being unhelpful to flat-out unsettling.

Deitlef Reiss tries to keep spirits up by telling stories, but being the oldest of the villagers and an ex-woodsman, he tends to heed the darker local folk tales of the forest, of men walking like beasts and beasts like men, of ungodly screams echoing out over the tree tops at night and of dark rituals performed by witches when the moon was full.

"Some folks say there’s still an old hag living in the depths of this forest preying on anyone who strays from the road. They say the witch makes gruesome trophies of her victims, drinking from their skulls and turning their flayed skin into her bedding," says Deitlef, happily.

Suddenly, through the restless noise of the night-time forest, a heavy clatter of hooves can be heard coming through the undergrowth towards you. In the fringe of the torchlight something quickly crosses the path, then a massive creature bursts through the trees onto the track just ahead you. It stops dead and stares at the group with a blood lust in its eyes.

At first glance the creature in the torchlight appears to be a gigantic human, standing nearly 10 feet tall with shoulders that look as if they could carry a house, but above the shoulders is a head as far from human as you can get. The ferocious eyes that stare at you are set into a huge bull's head, baring the large sharp teeth of a carnivore. From either side of its head sprout horns that are at least four-foot-long with vicious sharp points. The creature’s feet are cloven and its body is covered in thick fur and massive muscles, except for its left thigh. Here flesh can be seen through the fur and the visible thigh muscle appears to be considerably smaller than the right one.

The creature snorts steaming hot breath from its nostrils and drags its left hoof across the ground as if preparing to charge. Even with the weakened leg, the stamping motion is intimidating and you become aware of a strong smell of urine coming from behind you.

Fear Tests.

ZeltArruin
2010-06-26, 09:05 AM
Ragnar, should his nerve hold at this, one of the first fights as a slayer, will quickly move to the front of the group and drop down into a defensive stance, his pair of hand axes at the ready.

[roll0](target 36)
like I said, if I pass, move to the front, and get ready, would do defensive stance, but I know I can't (full action). I will parry first, then dodge second, should it come to that. I will use a luck point to reroll my parry or dodge, should it fail.

Instead, Ragnar stands, paralyzed with fear. He had only recently come to the surface and had never seen such a beast before. He doubted he could even harm such a monster.

Bowerbird
2010-06-26, 12:44 PM
I assume all those PCs who went after Ulrica are with this group? Also, I have Fearless, which I thinks makes me immune to fear.. here's a WP test anyhow: [roll0] vs 35 (Unmodified) If I still need to roll and I fail, I shall edit this post to reflect this.

As the groups stands before the great bull-headed beastman, they here a heavy tread behind them, those that look back see the Ogre, Igole, ambling up the forest path behind them, "Hey fellas, why did you stop? Oh.." they hear the sound of metal on leather as the ogre draws forth a suprisingly nice looking blackjack. He pushes his way through the group, politely, "'Scuse me, pardon me, coming through, thank you, right then." until he's face to face with the beast, clears his throat in a congenial sort of way, before bellowing loudly at the monster, the sounds of his mighty roar echoing off the trees and out throughout the forest.

Intimidate: [roll1] vs 50 (+10 for Menacing = 60)

Salbazier
2010-06-26, 12:55 PM
Fear test (target 31) [roll0]

Maximilian body's froze upon the sight. "A beastman" whispers Maximillian. He want to draw his short sword found himself unable to move even a finger, as if all strenght left his body. He can feel his legs weakening.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-26, 02:08 PM
Fear Test [roll0] Target 30 so close!
"Sigmar h-help us..." Falco tightly gripped his axe, his knuckles began to turn white but that is all the halfling could muster as he stared at creature down the road.

Mordar
2010-06-26, 04:40 PM
[roll0] Willpower 32 + Stout-Hearted

Undaunted by the huge creature before them, Kordon steps to the front, sets his feet and prepares to battle the beast before them.

littlebottom
2010-06-26, 07:11 PM
Fear test: [roll0] passed!

Heimlich sees the beast, but he holds his nerve. Heimlich has seen the still beating heart of a man inside his chest having been opened up with sharp knives, he could handle a furry man with a beast head.

Heimlich pulls his weapon, but moves towards the middle of the group "give it your best, no need to show fear for you wont die this day if i have anything to do with it!" Heimlich attempts to comfort the men with these words and bring them around from their self urinating state... atleast Heimlich hopes it was someone in the group who wet themselves and not another beastman whom just happens to have the aroma or urine. Heimlich shoots a quick glance over his shoulder for this reason.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-26, 07:48 PM
Fear test (34): [roll0]

Elsa paled visibly and took a step back. It was the first time she met a beastman face-to-face.

Oh crap oh crap oh crap. They should burn this forest, like I said.

Xsesiv
2010-06-26, 11:15 PM
The Ogre's bellow and the weapons drawn from those fearless enough to be able do not daunt the creature, who stamps a few times more on the floor, and as it does so more noise is head from the undergrowth.

It then puts its head down and goes to skewer Igole with its horns, like a bull. In mid-movement, five wolves leap from the side of the road and attack the beast. They begin to wrestle in the road where they are, spattering the undergrowth with the blood of both sides, then the battle begins to move off into the forest as bull-head tries to escape.

The last, and smallest, wolf does not follow the battle, but sits on the side of the road, looking at the party with curiosity.

Bowerbird
2010-06-26, 11:27 PM
Igole scratches his head as the wolves chase the beastman away, "Umm.. does that usually happen?" he asks, turning to look at the others before noticing the last little wolf. "Oh, hello.. err... thanks?"

Mordar
2010-06-26, 11:37 PM
If he is able, Kordon charges at the Beastman, seeking to show Doktor Heimlich his fighting prowess...though the wolves do concern him quite a bit...

If appropriate, here is the attack:
Knuckleduster: WS:41, Streetfigher:+10, Charge (if appropriate)
[roll0]
Damage, if appropriate: [roll1]

littlebottom
2010-06-26, 11:37 PM
Heimlich stands bewildered. now thats not something you see everyday.

Heimlich approaches the wolf, with its previous act and the fact the wolf is alone, Heimlich feels that even if it were to go at him, he would survive without much damage.

he bends down and attempts to pet the wolf, as if it were a dog. he doesnt know if this will achieve anything, but he feels thanks are in order and animals dont often speak Reikspiel, then again, after seeing a massive beastman, anything could be possible.

EDIT: ninjad, but post still stands.

Heimlich looks at the dwarfs carelessness as he runs after the beastman. He is eager, ill give him that, but reckless too, not a quality i like in bodyguards, but then again, he is fearless, thats a quality i DO like in body guards.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-27, 12:06 AM
Charm Animal Test [roll0] target 40 (aww crap)

The Halfling stands wide eyed in the middle of the road as the beastman is chased off. "...Ok..." He blinks a few times before shaking himself out of his stupor, and notices the wolf that Heimlech is currently trying to pet. "Aww well look at ya', you're just a pup still aren't ya'? But you sure did send that grubby ol' beastman run from the hills didn't ya? I guess thanks would be in order little guys." The halfling chuckles for a moment and heads next to the wolf, he try's to give it a rub behind it's ears.

Xsesiv
2010-06-27, 12:58 AM
Kordon is unable to reach the fight in time, as all the combatants are much faster than he is, and still moving.

The wolf doesn't allow anyone to approach it, but runs off to follow the fight. Maximilian sees something metallic dangling from the wolf's neck.

"Was it just me, or did you all see that?" asks Hagar. His brother, Hugo, is frozen to the spot in shock and fear, with his breeches soaked.

Bowerbird
2010-06-27, 04:00 AM
Igole stands looking after the fight bewildered.. at Hagar's comment he looks around, "See what?"

Perception: [roll0] vs 24

Xsesiv
2010-06-27, 06:21 AM
Igole did manage to see what I have already described in detail.:smallwink:

"Some kind of Minotaur with a mace being fought off by the very wolves we came to hunt? I'm not dreaming, am I?"

Salbazier
2010-06-27, 07:04 AM
With the beast and the wolves gone, Maximilian finally recover his ability to move. The fear has passed and replaced with wonder and curiosity. Why they did that?

He approach Heimlich "Saved by wolves when we are out hunting them." He shakes his head "Do you think they are send by someone? There's a metallic object on that wolf's neck, like a necklace. Maybe they are someone's pet"

littlebottom
2010-06-27, 12:00 PM
"this worries me no end. i was highly suspicious of the wolves involvement in this at all, but it is clear they are involved, just seemingly not in the way we think... or maybe its worse."

Littlebottom wants to add what he thinks OOC that its a possibility of being, but Littlebottom does not wish to give his character knowledge he wouldnt normally have... ill take it up with the GM maybe an intelligence roll to see if the GM will let me in on anything?

Xsesiv
2010-06-27, 01:49 PM
"Come on, stop gossiping," says Deitlef, bringing his axe from a ready position back to his shoulder again. "Let's get off after that fight, and we can find out what's going on, and get rid of whatever's taking our sheep."

"No..." This comes from Hugo, who stands, still drenched in urine, feet together, unmoving and frozen to the spot.

"Come on, man! Have some courage, you came this far, you can see it out!"

Hugo is silent.

littlebottom
2010-06-27, 01:58 PM
"it appears this man is in shock." Heimlich stats as if it was most likely, but not 100% definately.

Heimlich approaches the man and walks around him. before suddenly pinching his shoulder to see if he gets much of a reaction or not.

Xsesiv
2010-06-27, 02:04 PM
Hugo doesn't react to the pinch in the traditional manner. Instead he collapses on the floor and starts convulsing.

littlebottom
2010-06-27, 02:16 PM
"it appears my theory was correct." Heimlich says as he crouches down by the side of the man, he opens up his doctors bag, to revieal vials, most of which are unfortunately empty save for a few red looking ones, there is also a wide selection of knives, scissors, thread and needles, bandages and other shiney metal looking tools.

"why are you always out of the ingredients you need?!" Heimlich calmly but hurredly places his fingers on the mans throat and concentrates momentarily, and checks that he is still breathing.

Xsesiv
2010-06-27, 02:22 PM
He seems to be breathing regularly, albeit a bit more quickly than usual. Deitlef is hopping up and down with impatience. "We're wasting time here. We'll have to get after those wolves and that...thing before they're too far away. Erhl, help Hagar take his brother home, the rest of us will follow the fight."

Erhl leaps to attention and helps Hagar lift the shaking body from the floor.

littlebottom
2010-06-27, 02:27 PM
"put him in bed immidiately, and give him plenty of fluids" Heimlich calls after them.

"i hate it when theres not much i can do i must restock my ingredients soon. infact, anybody here any good at herbology?"

Mordar
2010-06-27, 04:18 PM
Seeing that he would come up well short of the combatants, Kordon came to an abrupt stop at the edge of the trail. While the others in the hunting party assessed Hugo, the bodyguard kept his eyes focussed on the woods, watching for trouble. He agrees with Deitlef and waits to follow the wolves into the woods.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-27, 07:10 PM
Coward, thought Elsa at Hugo, conveniently forgetting that she was herself frozen in fear an instant ago.

She stood ready to follow the others further into the woods. For some reason she no longer felt too inclined to lead them...

ZeltArruin
2010-06-27, 09:03 PM
Shaking off the fear that had recently frozen his limbs, Ragnar drew his pair of axes, readying himself for what comes next, following the human deeper into the woods. He glanced back at the manling that had soiled himself and grumbled a bit.

Salbazier
2010-06-27, 10:38 PM
Can't blame the man. A beastman isn't something a simple peasant can meet everyday.. Maximilan stands ready waiting the group to start moving again. His hand now hold a sling, in case another monster make sudden appearance. Hopefully he would not be frozen in place again.

Xsesiv
2010-06-28, 01:04 AM
You follow Deitlef as he heads further into the forest. Tracking the fight is not difficult as it has caused a path of devastation leading deeper into the forest. Foliage has been flattened, the ground churned up and splatters of blood are sprayed everywhere. The running battle comes to an end in a small clearing, but the antagonists have already left the scene by the time you arrive.

Challenging (-10) Perception Tests, or Average (±0) Follow Trail Tests.

Rolling for Deitlef[roll0]
and Elsa[roll1]

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-28, 02:50 AM
Perception Test [roll0] Target 34 thanks to Excellent Vision

Falco watched as the wolf ran off catching a glimpse of the metallic object hanging from it's tale he tilted his head for a moment and turned away and followed the group further into the forest. "That was strange, well not as strange as the beastman and wolves but still strange. I wonder what was on it's tail..." As the group makes it's way into the clearing the halfling let's a low whistle out from under his breath. "Those wolves sure did a number on that creature didn't they?...At least I hope it was the wolves that came out on top and not that...thing...." He shudders for a moment thinking of what he had seen only just a short while ago.

Salbazier
2010-06-28, 06:47 AM
Perception [roll0] vs (46-10)

"No bodies. That's strange"

-Sentinel-
2010-06-28, 07:20 AM
"It couldn't have been eaten, could it?" said Elsa, her voice sightly sick. "As far as I know, wolves don't eat bones... or horns..."

She drew herself up, trying to look confident.

"Let's be careful. It might still be around, and wounded animals are dangerous."

Xsesiv
2010-06-28, 09:42 AM
Cloven hoofprints, the left never as deep as the right, are visible going deeper into the forest, while bare human footprints can be found heading away from the battle scene in the same direction as the original wolf tracks the group was following.

One of the wolves was knocked very hard to the ground, seriously injured; a large wolf shaped indent can be seen in the ground with a lot of blood around it.

Salbazier
2010-06-28, 10:57 AM
A human's track!. Maximilain points the prints to the others "My guess is correct, it seems. The wolves are sent by someone. " He look at the direction the hoof prints went. "The beastman is still loose. Which one we should chase? The wolf and this mystery person or the horned beast?"

Mordar
2010-06-28, 12:12 PM
Maximilain points the prints to the others "My guess is correct, it seems."

"Your guess...oh...that the wolves were sent by someone? The only pet wolves I've heard tell are those of the northmen, the damned greenskins," at mention of the orcs Kordon spits derisively, "and the creatures from Sylvania. I don't reckon we want truck with any of those."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-28, 12:21 PM
"Heh, it would seem that the wolves got the worst of it," Ragnar said, his face splitting into a grin. "Perhaps it would be best to kill them first, then head back for that bull-headed beast," he suggested, his hands wringing the handles of his axes, his eyes looking around, though he appeared to not be helping with discovering anything about the tracks.

Salbazier
2010-06-28, 12:34 PM
"Your guess...oh...that the wolves were sent by someone? The only pet wolves I've heard tell are those of the northmen, the damned greenskins," at mention of the orcs Kordon spits derisively, "and the creatures from Sylvania. I don't reckon we want truck with any of those."

"Well, I agree. I'm curious about this master of the wolves, though."

littlebottom
2010-06-28, 01:49 PM
"its odd that the tracks are equal both in left and right foot, his one leg was substatially weaker and smaller looking. it implies he might be limping, but then again, i didnt get a good look at the tracks he made before hand anyway."

"we must decide which way we are going. i think that the best option might to be to go after the beastman, since he may not be alone, and if thats the case, he can inform the others of our being in the forest for easy pickings."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-28, 02:01 PM
"we must decide which way we are going. i think that the best option might to be to go after the beastman, since he may not be alone, and if thats the case, he can inform the others of our being in the forest for easy pickings."

"Good, good, maybe if we follow then we can meet them all head on even sooner, aye?" The prospect of more beastmen got Ragnar's attention and made him seem a little too gleeful when faced with the idea of a herd of the man-beasts bearing down on them.

littlebottom
2010-06-28, 02:04 PM
"no, no, i dont think you understand what i mean. i dont want to confront them all, just kill this one so we dont have to. atleast, not at night in their homeland. we would be slaughtered. infact, i think its time we meet up with the other group. someone send up a flaming arrow."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-28, 02:10 PM
"no, no, i dont think you understand what i mean. i dont want to confront them all, just kill this one so we dont have to. atleast, not at night in their homeland. we would be slaughtered. infact, i think its time we meet up with the other group. someone send up a flaming arrow."

"An unfair fight against impossible odds? Ye dunnae know how to dissuade a slayer, do ye manling? Perhaps, if ye find yerself a bit lacking, we could split tha group, some after yer little pups, th' others with me against tha bull-head."

littlebottom
2010-06-28, 02:22 PM
"im sorry slayer, but although your life is your own, these peoples lives are theirown, not yours to waste."

Heimlich is slightly upset at the idea of all these people simply going to their dooms, such a waste of life. then the thought comes that what if the slayer were lying on the floor after a battle bleeding out badly, and Heimlich tried to save him? would the slayer kill him if he were to save the slayers life?

Mordar
2010-06-28, 02:44 PM
"Well," Kordon offers, "I'm for following the beastman...though the beasts walking with the man seems like trouble too. Doktor, I think perhaps we should hold off on the arrow a few moments. Unlike Ragnar, there, I'm not looking to face a horde of those chaos-wrought, so I think if we get after him fast enough we might be able to put paid to his bill before he finds friends. Shootin' off the signal arrow and then waiting here for t'others to arrive would likely end any chance of catching the beast before it gets to its pack."

Salbazier
2010-06-28, 03:38 PM
"Despite what I said earlier, I agree with chasing the beastman. Whoever the wolfmaster is, he can wait. This beastman is a more certain and dangerous threat."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-28, 03:44 PM
"Aye, Hemlick, I am making no decisions for anyone but meself," he said, regarding the good Doktor's interpretation of his words, mispronouncing his name yet again.
"So, let us be off then, me hands're gettin twitchy. After we fell the bull, we can put tha wolves to me axe," Ragnar concluded, content that at least someone saw the glory in fighting the beastmen as soon as possible. He walked towards where he thought they said the bull-head went, motioning towards the brush with an axe, "Ah, did ye say it went this way?"

Salbazier
2010-06-28, 03:52 PM
"Yes, it did. You can see the hoofprints yourself. Calm down now. We need to act quickly not reckless. Anyone disagree with chasing the beasman?"

littlebottom
2010-06-28, 03:54 PM
"standing here serves us nothing, we should go now."

Heimlich still ignoring the pronunciation of his name, now was not the time to correct him.

Heimlich then heads staight off down the path, "its now or never people, lets get moving."

-Sentinel-
2010-06-28, 05:39 PM
"Yes, let's chase the beastman first," agreed Elsa fiercely. "Then we'll see. The wolves may or may not be our enemies, but the beastman certainly is."

She knew that the wizards of the Amber Brotherhood sometimes commanded beasts to do their bidding. They were also the sworn enemies of beastmen. What if the wolves' master turned out to be an ally?

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 12:10 AM
Falco spits on the ground, "I can't believe I'm saying this....but yes let's chase that abomination, I don't want the lives of my village threatened by something I knew I had a chance at stopping." The Halfling moved his axe to his left hand and loaded his sling, keeping it at the ready in his right. He began to follow behind Heimlich.

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 03:28 AM
The creature’s tracks lead deeper into the forest. As you follow them the trees and undergrowth get denser and you hear rustling around you as small mammals dart away from the sound of your footprints. Gradually the trees start to thin and a putrid smell invades your nostrils. It is the smell of death. At the side of the path you can see the remains of various different animals, deer carcasses and wild boar, but there are also domestic animals, sheep, cattle and goats. The bodies lie in the undergrowth, their unseeing eyes staring at you as you pass; their chests and abdomens torn open so the soft, fleshy organs could be consumed. Huge chunks of flesh have been gouged from the animals' thighs by vicious canine teeth. For most of the corpses the less appetising meat has been left on the bone to rot, but occasionally you see the remains of bones that have been completely stripped of flesh and then even snapped in two to allow the juicy marrow to be sucked out.

As you continue to follow the beast’s tracks the forest gives way to a small clearing at the foot of a hillside. At the base of the hill you see a cave and there, sat in the cave mouth, is the beast, slowly licking blood from a number of wounds inflicted by the wolves.

Having already witnessed the beast once you should be ready for its frightening appearance.

littlebottom
2010-06-29, 05:06 AM
"is it alone? or are there more in the cave? this seems a bit dangerous to me. maybe we can kill it by surprise and get out of there quick."

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 07:03 AM
"Let's hope there more," Ragnar says, his feet shifting with slight unease as the ready themselves to face the beast. Surprisingly, he does not bolt from the cover of the woods towards the bull-head, apparently either fear or a sense of tactics taking hold of him.

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 07:30 AM
Immediately after it sees the group, which doesn't take as long as you would like, the bull-head leaves off from licking its wounds and, howling, charges Ragnar in a kind of limping sprint, great mace held high over its head, ready to slam down onto the Slayer's.

[roll0] Target 62
Damage: [roll1] OR [roll2] (Impact)

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 07:46 AM
Deitlef retaliates on Ragnar's behalf, aiming carefully and swinging his huge forester's axe to whack the Minotaur as hard as he can and fell it like a huge squat tree. He grunts with every swing, like the woodcutter he is.

[roll0]Target 56
Damage [roll1] OR [roll2] (Impact)

The Minotaur apparently has some regard for self-preservation, easily managing to block the attacks with its mace.

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 08:10 AM
Ragnar attempts to parry the massive bludgeon with his pair of axes.

[roll0](target 40+10(slow))
fortune point if I failed
[roll1]

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 08:26 AM
Elsa concentrates briefly and then attempts to hurl a dart of magical force at the Minotaur.

[roll0] Channelling Target 34
[roll1] Casting Roll
[roll2] Damage

This fails utterly.

Salbazier
2010-06-29, 08:27 AM
Maximilian launch an carefully aimed attack with his sling toward the beast

Aim then Attack

Attack[roll]1d100[roll] target 22 = (32-20+10)
Damage[roll0]

Salbazier
2010-06-29, 08:28 AM
Ugh, sorry. Wrong roll again.

Attack [roll0] target 22

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 08:54 AM
After shaking off the mighty blow of the minotaur that nearly felled him, Ragnar whips his axes to a more defensive stance, attacking once in the process.

guarded attack
[roll0](target 30)
damage [roll1]

Bowerbird
2010-06-29, 09:27 AM
The ogre, up to now content to plod along behind everyone else, bringing up the rear, and yawning loudly occasionally and frightening the peasants, rushes towards the beast with his massive blackjack upraised, swinging it down towards the beast's head with a strength that could and has shattered trees. Gone is the bestial roar before, his face is eerily calm, and scrunched up as if in thought.

Charge Action (+10 WS)
WS: [roll0] vs 43
Damage: [roll1]

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 09:41 AM
The blackjack solidly thwacks the beast in its very hard head, protected by horn and thick bone. The poor creature is almost pitched into the ground with the force of the blow, but after a couple of seconds' pause for thought, it is still fighting at full strength.

Mordar
2010-06-29, 10:40 AM
Now that battle is joined, Kordon measures his foe...just as the beastman staggers from Igole's massive blow, the dwarf charges forward, crashing his knuckleduster-clad fist right into the snout of the creature.

Striking to Stun
[roll0] vs target 81 (WS:41 + 10 (charge) + 10 (Streetfighter) + 20 (oppnent outnumbered 3:1))
Stun Strength Check
[roll1] vs target 42 (S:32 + 10 (pummelling weapon))
If successful, the beastman must check vs. Toughness or be stunned 1d10 rounds

Though the blow lands true, Kordon was unable to bring his full strength to bear against the much taller foe. Undaunted, he waits for his next chance to strike, buckler held at the ready.

littlebottom
2010-06-29, 11:40 AM
Heimlich goes to help the slayer, but decides against it in the heat of battle. instead, while distracted, Heimlich circles round the beastman stabbing with his sword into the kidneys of the beast.

WS: [roll0]

damage: [roll1]

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 02:46 PM
Aimed Sling attack [roll0] target 53 Damage [roll1]

"Let my aim be straight and true" the halfling whispers a quick prayer, aims, and let's loose a stone from his sling toward the beastman.

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 03:00 PM
Not bothered in the least by the pitiful slingshot, the beast begins to lay about him with his huge mace, aiming first to hit the Ogre, then turning around and bashing at Kordon.

[roll0] Target 52
Damage [roll1] OR [roll2] (Impact)

[roll3] Target 52
Damage [roll4] OR [roll5] (Impact)

The hefty weapon mashes the Ogre's arm hard, but the swing at the Dwarf failed to reach its mark.

Deitlef, panicked as the initial charge was not enough to fell the Minotaur, goes into a frenzy, chopping at the creature.

[roll6] Target 86 (All-Out Attack, Outnumbering)
Damage [roll7] OR [roll8] (Impact)

His axe smacks into the Minotaur's good leg with a spray of blood and a satisfying snapping-chunking sound. The creature's legs almost give out, but it stands firm, bellows, and Deitlef jumps back in fright, leaving his axe in the beast's leg.

Elsa rushes up to the creature as well, bringing to bear a well-made quarterstaff to club it as hard as she can.

[roll9] Target 73 (Charge, Outnumbering, BC weapon)
Damage [roll10]

The stick smashes the brute on the nose and blood begins to flow freely. Though little more than an annoyance, the whack has gone some way towards weakening the Minotaur, which does not appear to be in particularly good shape as it is.

However, even with the axe in its leg, bleeding from the broken nose and still shaking off the effects of the pounding blow to its head, it is still fighting-fit.

Salbazier
2010-06-29, 03:24 PM
Maximillian deide to abandon his sling and just join the melee. He draws his short sword and approach the beast, trying to find a room to attack.

Mordar
2010-06-29, 03:30 PM
Put off by the ineffectiveness of his usually potent punch, Kordon reconsiders his course of action. Slipping his axe from its loop, the dwarf quickly launches a series of chopping blows at the beastman's already wounded leg.

Axe Attack
[roll0] against target of 62 (WS:42 + 20 (Outnumbering 3:1)
Damage
[roll1]

His attack once again woefully inadequate, he prepares his buckler for the next attack.

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 03:42 PM
With blood flowing freely from the knot on his head, Ragnar carefully sets himself up and then swings at the beast.

[roll0](target 40+10(aim)+20(outnumber)=70
damage: [roll1]

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 04:12 PM
Ragnar's axe-blow catches the Minotaur in the groin. It doubles over, retching in pain and struggling to stay standing.

In game terms, he is helpless for the rest of the round.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 04:30 PM
[roll0] Helpless damage [roll1]

Seeing the beastman wounded Falco tries using his sling once more, loading it and letting the stone fly.

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 04:36 PM
Falco's slingshot was almighty. The stone enters through the target’s forehead, making a coin-sized entry hole, emerging from the back of his head in a massive spray of blood and brain tissue as it makes a fist-sized exit hole. The Minotaur could not possibly be any deader.

The final blow is struck and the ugly beast falls to the ground, joining the rotting remains of its many animal victims. Before the dust of battle has yet settled around the fallen body you see a bright light appear above the tree tops. It is a flaming arrow sent up by one of the groups of villagers. Before long all the other small groups of villagers will converge on site from which the arrow was fired to wreak revenge on those they feel are responsible for the disappearance of Ulrica and the slaughter of so many of their animals. As you look in the direction from which the arrow appeared you notice a narrow track leading from the clearing straight towards the signal. It does not appear to have been used for some time, but does seem to be totally usable, extending for a good way, and looks as if it may once have been wide enough for the huge beast to walk along.

Before you can decide in which direction to head, another flaming arrow appears from roughly but not exactly the same place as the first. Another group of villagers must have reached their destination, signalling for yet more to converge on their position. Time is running short.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-29, 04:53 PM
The elation of victory left Elsa as quickly as it had come, and she realized she now had a pounding headache. With a loud curse, she viciously kicked the minotaur's limp body and sprinted along the track without waiting to see if her companions followed her.

Mordar
2010-06-29, 05:10 PM
Disgusted by his ineptitude in the combat, Kordon slams his axe back into its loop.

"Well," he grumped, "it looks like they've found something off that way."

Looking back towards the rest of the group, he noticed the mageling rushing down a seldom-used trail. "I guess Elsa's in a bit of a hurry to get there...might be a good idea. Still..."

Kordon glanced between the trail and the cave, and moved towards the yawning cave mouth. A quick look can't hurt...best to know what we're leaving behind.

The dwarf glances inside, trusting his night vision to give him a sense of the interior.

OOC
If the quick glance assures Kordon there are no more beastmen in hiding, he will tell the group as much and recommend heading off to the villagers signal arrows.

Xsesiv
2010-06-29, 05:13 PM
No, there are no more Beastmen. Minotaurs are not known for being particularly social creatures.

Salbazier
2010-06-29, 06:24 PM
Despite unable to contribute anything useful, Maximilian feels glad when the creature finally goes down.

"Maybe they found the girl. I hope she's allright"

He makes a quick check around the cave and carcasses to make sure there's nothing that resemble a human's remains

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-29, 06:50 PM
"Woah! Hey don't run off alone, you don't know what else could be out there. Bah damn wizard she'll get herself killed like that." Falco was sure to say that last part a bit under his breath, he turned back to the group and looked at Igole. "We should be going after lest she get lost or worse but first how is everybody? Herr Igole you took quite a blow from that monster will you be ok?"

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 07:35 PM
Ragnar turned and stumped his way after the others, the wound on his head still spilling blood down into his eyes, but it didn't seem to phase him overly much as he easily followed the path the others had taken.

Xsesiv
2010-06-30, 12:45 AM
Moving along the path, a small farmstead, three fields behind it, hoves into view, the whole entirely contained within the forest. The main part of the farm (which is fenced-off) comprises several wooden buildings, including a farmhouse from whose chimney smoke rises steadily, three barns and a stable. There is also a well, a vegetable patch and some fruit trees in the garden. A trail of blood and bare human footprints leads into the gate in the fence, up the path and to the farmhouse door. You arrive at the farm to find two groups of villagers armed with their improvised weapons have already gathered there but apparently they do not wish to take on whoever is inside until more back up arrives. They are gathered together in deep discussion when you approach from out of the forest.

Tomas sees you arrive, and moves over to explain the situation. "We followed the tracks through the forest, and very funny tracks they were, until eventually we came out here at the Ludolfs' farm. Now the strange tracks make sense. We believe that the family living here are in fact werewolves who have been preying on the village for easy meals.

We have sent up two signal arrows now and are waiting for some of the others to arrive here before we remove these cursed creatures from our lands. Did you see the signal arrows?"

Bowerbird
2010-06-30, 01:53 AM
The ogre stands staring at the fallen minotaur as the others begin getting ready to head over to the signal flares. He looks around at the rotting corpses, checking with an expert eye for any that still have usable pelts, as well as checking for people corpses.
Once he notices the others begin pointing and heading off into the forest, he holsters his blackjack, rips the sleeve off his shirt, crudely binding the wound on his arm, and hefts the Minotaur corpse over one shoulder, if he sees any fresh corpses with usable leather he hefts it over the other, before plodding off after the others.
He stops and listens to Tomas. "Huh.. Why would they have saved us from this if they were bad?" he holds out the Minotaur corpse. "There were lots of dead things back at the cave.. maybe it was this thing?" He places the corpses down carefully. Dusting his hands off. "Ok. I have a plan!" he taps the side of his head. "I will go and ask them nicely to explain themselves!" he stands there grinning at his own cunning.

Trade (Tanner): [roll0] vs 24 For finding a usable corpse.

littlebottom
2010-06-30, 09:47 AM
"its too late, everyone make your way to the arrow, i will tend to your injuries there. there should be more light, and i dont particularily want to treat anyone next to the rotting corpses of animals and with the taint of chaos in the air." Heimlich helps anyone who needs help to get to the clearing.

"did you say werewolves? i suspected something as such, but in either case, it was them that virtually saved our lives! they faught the beast for us when it tried to attack us." He points to some wounds on the body which indicate teeth and claw marks. "but that doesnt make them good people, it just means they earn themselves atleast the respect from us to try and find out whats really going on, not to charge in murdering them all."

Heimlich also waits for those who are injured and begins bandaging them up.

heal: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

ZeltArruin
2010-06-30, 09:52 AM
Ragnar accepts the healing with only a little grumbling, but he figures it is better to go into a fight at his best, rather than die a clumsy, painful death because of an old injury.

The talk of werewolves goes mostly over Ragnar's head, as he either ignores it, or just doesn't care. He glances around often, checking the woods behind them and the farm houses for signs of trouble.

Salbazier
2010-06-30, 10:21 AM
Werewolves now... This is bad. Regardless of whether or not the family has been preying on villagefolk, There's little chance they can be conviced not to slaughter them. We are not even sure -well, I'm not sure- that they are really werewolves yet. Tracks isn't conclusive evidence. Still...

"Now, I agree with Heimlich. Do not be so hasty. There's no proof that they have been preying on people. What's important now is finding what happened to the girl." He turns to Igole "I think your idea to talk to them is the best thing to do right now. I'll accompany you."

An Ogre surely can help convicing them to talk

Mordar
2010-06-30, 04:16 PM
"Aye, we saw the arrows...werewolves? Ach, the Chaos taint runs heavy here, it seems," Kordon opined, the last under his breath.

"So...is it torches-n-pitchforks, then, or something else?" he asked, looking at both his companions and the villagers.

When both Doktor Heimlich and Igole present the option of talking to those within the farmstead, Kordon narrows his eyes a bit, then nods his head slightly.

OOC
Kordon will accompany them to the door if they move forward, but from a discrete distance - close enough to support the Doktor if needed, but not so close as to crowd the scene.

Xsesiv
2010-06-30, 05:04 PM
A thunder of hooves can be heard coming through the forest towards you. Suddenly, a cart, pulled by a large and very beautiful black horse, appears out of the trees with Kaspar the innkeeper at the reins, with a short, plump, stooped woman in her late sixties sitting next to him with her iron grey hair pulled back in a bun. This woman is dressed in a layered dress of purple and black, which reaches to her feet. The sight of the old woman puts the villagers on edge for some reason. As the cart draws closer, it is possible to see Ulrica sat in the back, she is dressed only in an old nightrobe, much too big for her, and variously scratched and bruised but on the whole she looks unharmed and healthy. Tomas looks overjoyed that she is alright, but less impressed to see Jorn and the old woman.

@ElsaThe old woman has tendrils of magical energy crackling round her head. Somewhat mixed, but mainly Ghyran - life energy. Additionally, a warm glow, though of no discernable colour, comes from the satchel slung over her back.

"Stop, you’re making a huge mistake!" shouts Kaspar from the cart. "The family living here are Children of Ulric; they are not tainted by the accursed. Please, do not attack them, they mean you no harm and have in fact been trying to help the village lately. If you’ll just take time to listen I’ll explain…"

One of the villagers, a grizzled old gaffer with a barrel chest, a lantern jaw and a mop of hair, looking, in short, like the contents of a tavern's back-room, shouts back, "He’s in league with Daemons, he is! That’s the Witch of the forest beside him. Don't look her in the eye! She’ll put you under her spell and eat your brains to her supper!"

Salbazier
2010-06-30, 05:20 PM
Ignoring the gaffer, Maximilian approches the cart. "What is happening here Herr Kaspar? Where did you found the girl and who is that woman?"

Mordar
2010-06-30, 05:59 PM
"Well you're in luck then, old man," Kordon said to the elderly villager. "As ye'well know, dwarfs are immune to t'spells of brain-eating witches, and there's two of us right here. Let's hear what they've got to say...tha' pack o' wolves attacked that Chaos-get, not us, so at least they've got some sense," he concluded, pointing at the beastman carcass.

Despite his words, Kordon is still uncertain about both the "witch" and the "werewolves", but hides his concern under the wonderful dwarf veneer.

littlebottom
2010-06-30, 06:04 PM
heimlich steps forward "AHEM... my name is Doktor Heimlich Morgenstein. I have studied at the university of Altdorf, and can present INCONTROVERTIBLE evidence, that the culpret of the dissapearance of the livestock is due to that of a lone beastman. this one infact." he points to the carcass "the "warewolves" saved our lives by helping us fell this giant, and in no way halmed any of us. infact they saved our lives. they deserve to ATLEAST be given a chance with which to explain themselves, and their actions, since we have all seen with our own eyes, what they have done to help and save us and all of you. SO, i suggest, a small group of us go to negotiate, if this does not work and they are hostile, we will send a signal which is for you to attack. happy?" Heimlich stands tall and straight with an air of authority.

"oh, AND im pretty sure the law could get involved in all this, and i will be able to vouch for you all if that be the case, but if we are to brutaliy murder these innocents, then im afraid i will have to tell them the facts. of course, if they are hostile, then i will state the facts of that to the judicial champions and vouch for you. but i cannot if you murder them unprovoked, which attacking them now would be. i am not tainted with chaos, i have given medical attention to several people here tonight, and i am glad to say that no one has died, i would not like to have to send people to the temple of morr so needlessly."

Lt. Tibbles
2010-06-30, 07:46 PM
"Enough with the talk of pitchforks and torches, just tell us what's going on Kaspar what happened to Ulrica and why is she here? Falco crossed his arms tilted his head to toward Jorn.

-Sentinel-
2010-06-30, 09:13 PM
"Hedge witch, eh?" said Elsa with a slight edge of contempt. "Don't know what she's here for, but her kind are either useless or dangerous. We can deal with this ourselves."

Bowerbird
2010-07-01, 01:20 AM
"Okay then, we will go to talk to these wolfy people, and see what they have to say for thermselves." Igole says, starting off towards the farmstead, heedless of the new arrivals.

Xsesiv
2010-07-01, 06:56 AM
Ulrica jumps off the cart and into the arms of Tomas. He briefly hugs her, then puts her down, and apparently she has said something to him, because he cries "What do you mean you have to go inside now? You can’t go in there. They are beasts, monsters that parade themselves in human form. I will not let my daughter go in there!"

"We're going in, Tomas," says Jorn, helping the old woman down from the cart. "Ulrica's real father's in there. I'm sure he wouldn't take kindly to this."

"Fine. Go in. Try some diplomacy," snarls Tomas to everyone present. "But if you let Ulrica die, I'll never forgive you."

Jorn, the woman and Ulrica begin to make for the farmhouse door (which, incidentally, is too small for Igole).

littlebottom
2010-07-01, 08:15 AM
bloody typical, they were ready to burn the place down happy in the knowledge that they were innocent, just because they cling onto their stupid ideals they would squander good life needlessly? i have been subjected to so much of this attitude lately, that it dispirits me in the human... and other races.

Heimlich follows closely behind

Xsesiv
2010-07-01, 08:19 AM
As you step through the front door of the farmhouse you walk straight into the kitchen which, were it not for the unusual sight of a heavily injured wolf lain dying across the table, would feel warm and welcoming. There is a large open fire on one outside wall with a kettle hung over it, bringing fresh water to the boil. There is also numerous oil lanterns lit around the room shedding plenty of light on the unfolding scene.

Said wolf lain across the table is large, silvery-grey, and has blood oozing from a nasty-looking wound on its left hand side. The flesh has been lacerated, so that a good deal of the muscle of the flank has been lost. A young woman wrapped in a blanket, in her late teens, is sitting next to the table stroking the creature’s mane and front paw, tears rolling down her cheeks. Another, much older woman wearing a long overcoat is fussing around the kitchen gathering up strips of clean linen and intermittently checking the kettle over the fire. Finally a young man, barefooted and naked to the waist, wearing only a pair of rough homespun trousers, stands beside the table with a bowl of steaming water and a number of torn-up piece of cloth. He carefully dabs a hot damp cloth around the wolf’s wound before rinsing the cloth in the bowl of boiling water and repeating the action. When he wipes the blood out of the wound, the wolf's ribs are visible, broken in at least one place. All three humans have various cuts and bumps.

As you enter the wolf lifts its head from the table and looks towards you with great pain in its eyes. The action seems to be too much for the poor creature and it lays its head back down on the table with a shudder of its body.

As soon as Ulrica is inside the room she cries "Father!" and rushes over to the table wear she kneels down beside the other young woman "It’s going to be alright, father, I’ve brought help." Upon hearing Ulrica’s voice the older woman finally pays attention to you and rushes over to hug Kaspar. "I’m so glad you could come and bring help. He’s not in a good way and I didn’t know what else to do."

The old woman has rushed directly Ulrica to the kitchen table and gently runs her hand down the wolf’s body before emptying the contents of her sling bag onto the side of the table beside the creature’s torso and going to work. She pours a blue liquid and then a red one from two vials down the creature's throat, before applying a number of herbal preparations to the wound.

littlebottom
2010-07-01, 08:27 AM
"dear me. your all injured. im a Doktor, i can help you patch up some of those wounds, if you would let me try?" Heimlich offers to all of them.

Xsesiv
2010-07-01, 08:32 AM
"It's a lovely offer, but we have more pressing issues at this very moment," says the woman, pointing at the wolf and bustling back to her tearing up linen.

The wolf seems better for the herbal medicine. The wise woman seems to know what she is doing; his wound has totally stopped bleeding, and the wolf is able to raise his head and regard the newcomers with a sort of friendly growl, if such a thing be possible.

littlebottom
2010-07-01, 08:36 AM
"well, i can only try my best." Heimlich sees if he can do anything for the wolf on the table. "im a bit better with humans, but the basics are the same."

heal: dont fail me now! [roll0]

Bowerbird
2010-07-01, 09:32 AM
Igole watches the scene unfold through one of the windows of the house, a worried look on his face. He turns back in the direction of the people wanting to kill these poor people and gives them a stern glare.

Because I can: Intimidate: [roll0] vs 60

Xsesiv
2010-07-01, 09:41 AM
The villagers laugh at Igole's over-dramatic expression.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-01, 10:33 AM
Ragnar follows everyone inside, taking note of the wolf and resolutely not putting his weapons away, though neither is he brandishing them with much menace. Clearly he did not like the situation. As he watches the scene unfold, he eventually puts his axes back into their places on his belt and merely crosses his arms over his chest. For the most part, the wound on his head had stopped bleeding, but a welt the size of an apple had grown, right to the side of his very short mohawk.

Mordar
2010-07-01, 10:55 AM
Seeing that the situation has been, for the most part, diffused, Kordon steps outside the door and assumes the lean familiar to personal security. He appears to be relaxed, but has positioned himself where he can keep an eye on both the villagers and the group in the house.

He hears the nervous laughter of the villagers and, upon looking back, sees a strange scowl on Igole's face...I wonder if he ate something sour when I wasn't looking...

"Well, it seems you've shifted their attention, and that's ta the good," he says quietly, intending it for only Igole's ears.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-01, 08:09 PM
Falco watched the situation in the house his expression was grim as he saw Ulrica comfort her "father" so they say, he gives a sharp glare at Kaspar. "You know the villagers won't be patient forever friend, now you owe us an explanation Kaspar, what's the meaning of all this? What happened to Ulrica and what exactly is all this? We're entitled to an explanation, we could've been killed by that monster!!!" The halfling points a plump finger at the beastmans corpse.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-02, 08:44 AM
Elsa still had a splitting headache from her failed casting attempt, and her almost non-existent patience was running thin.

"The halfling's right," she agreed in a tone she wanted firm but came out a grumpy drawl, "I think we deserve some sort of explanation."

Xsesiv
2010-07-03, 12:47 PM
Kaspar begins. "Ulrica and her family are Children of Ulric. They say Ulric took man's form and begot some children when the world was young. These people are wolves who can turn into humans. Or humans who can turn into wolves. One of the two."

The normally shy Ulrica then steps up and produces an uncharacteristic torrent of speech, probably out of relief. "I had gone out again to see my true family and was out running with them in the forest when we caught the scent of villagers out and about. It seemed very odd but we ignored it at the time, then we caught another scent; that of the beast, and its fresh tracks were heading straight in the direction of the villagers.

We couldn’t let anything happen to the poor souls, so we ran after the beast and managed to intercept it before it had a chance to attack the group. We fought the creature in a running battle through the forest until we came to a small opening where we could surround it. The fight was going well until a lucky swing of the beast's mace caught my father in the side and he fell with a thud on the ground. We quickly gathered round my father ready to defend him, but the beast dragged itself off into the forest away from us. Its bad leg seemed to be giving it more problems than usual.

Father was still alive, but bleeding badly from the wound across his side, and he had a few broken ribs. Anyway, my mother, brother, sister and I lifted him up and started carrying him back to the farmhouse. After a short distance I decided we would need more than just my mother’s herbal knowledge to heal the wounds, so I left them to go to see Kaspar and ask for his help in convincing the wise woman to help us."

"Speaking of me," adds Kaspar, "I can't take money from you aftr this," and he pulls out his purse and reimburses you for the drinks, food and rooms.

"We can't reward you like that," says the woman. "We're simple people, and we have no use for money, but Ulrica tells us you're travellers. Perhaps we could arrange some supplies?"

The wise woman rummages through the layers of her dress, producing a number of small wooden pendants on thin leather necklaces. A wolf’s head is carved into one side of the wood and a number of wolf hair strands are woven into the knot above the pendant. "These will bring you luck," she says, offering you a pendant each.

Bowerbird
2010-07-03, 12:58 PM
Igole gratefully accepts his pendant through the door, puts it around his neck before bowing, "Thank you, kind lady. I think I should like to sleep now, my arm hurts." he says, looking down at his crudely bandaged and bloody arm. The wound looks like it would have felled a lesser man from the sheer pain of it, yet it doesn't seem to impede the Ogre.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-03, 01:46 PM
Elsa suspiciously took the pendant in her hand. The witch had no reason to cause them harm, but hedge wizards in general were not to be trusted. The girl closed her eyes and tried to sense whether the pendant was enchanted in any way.

OOC:

Please roll me a secret Magical Sense test at WP 39, with a +10% bonus for Aethyric Attunement.

Mordar
2010-07-03, 05:24 PM
Kordon accepts the offered coin and wooden token with little more than a shrug. "A night's free room and board for a little walk in the woods seems fair enough t'me," Kordon says, with a slight nod of the head to Kaspar.

He then resumes his watchful stance, trying to judge if the words have calmed the villagers.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-03, 11:01 PM
Ragnar eyes the trinket, then shrugs and takes it, cramming it into his pocket along with the returned coin. He felt uneasy around the wolf men, and went outside to join the ogre, that he was equally wary of.

Xsesiv
2010-07-04, 04:59 PM
Please roll me a secret Magical Sense test at WP 39, with a +10% bonus for Aethyric Attunement.

The pendant does not seem to be enchanted in any way.

The villagers who were there to hear the explanation do not seem to be waving their torches and pitchforks quite as vigorously, and begin to return to their homes.

Xsesiv
2010-07-05, 08:40 AM
Time-skipping.

The peasants happily wave you off the next morning. They can now feel safe in the forest, they have made valuable acquaintances with the wise woman in the forest and the family of Ulric's Children, and their livestock has thus far been safe from theft.

Your road continues to follow the river Reik. The traffic is typical – trading vessels bringing goods down from Nuln and beyond, fishermen plying their trade in the shallows, and pedlars and pilgrims traveling along the riverbank.

Late in this unusually cool, clear morning, you notice a small river boat which has seen better days. It is snagged on the branch of a riverside tree, listing heavily to one side, having taken on water, and is slowly but surely sinking. The boat itself has been painted black and white (for those who can read, its name "The Divine Retribution" can be seen painted on the side), and a large number of coins are scattered all over the bloodstained deck. Carrion birds are all over the wreck.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-05, 09:03 AM
"Crows," said Elsa, narrowing her eyes at the black birds circling around the sinking boat. "I don't like the look of this. Oh, that's horrible, there's blood on the deck! Shall we take a look?"

Without waiting for an answer, she strode confidently towards the boat, shouting: "Hey! Anybody hears me?"

Xsesiv
2010-07-05, 10:11 AM
As Elsa approaches, she finds several savagely mutilated corpses, mostly Novitiates of the Cult of Sigmar, along with a boatman or two. Minor items like holy symbols, hand weapons and whatnot are still clutched in the dead hands of the bodies. Severed limbs lie scattered about the deck in the drying pools of blood. Crates and casks have been broken open, their contents strewn carelessly about.

As you watch, a raven flies down to one of the corpses and pecks out its eyes. Average (±0) Will Power Tests. Those who fail gain an Insanity Point, as they ponder the fate of their own final remains…
As you investigate, you hear a low moan coming from the deck house.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-05, 10:34 AM
[roll0](target 26+10(maybe for stout hearted)

Ragnar looks on the carnage with passing interest, his attention held more by the coin scattered across the deck. The sound of a possible survivor also grabs at his interest, but he is also wary of attack, and draws his pair of hand axes.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-05, 10:39 AM
More impressed than horrified, Elsa let out a whistle at the sight of the carnage. "Well, daaaaaamn."

WP 39 test: [roll0]
Re-roll with Fortune point if failed: [roll1]

She tilted her head to one side. Had she just heard something from the deck house? She hurried in that direction. "We may have a survivor over here, doc," she shouted to Heimlich.

Bowerbird
2010-07-05, 12:46 PM
Surprisingly the Ogre looks somewhat green, as he peers into the boat from the shore-line, "That's horrible, why would anyone do that?"

Xsesiv
2010-07-05, 06:12 PM
Upon entering the deck house, Elsa sees pieces of another Novitiate scattered among the remnants of what appears to be a hasty search. Several boxes and barrels lie open and empty, their contents scattered about just as on the deck.

From a further, curtained doorway in the deck house – most likely the captain’s quarters – a big, bearlike man dressed in a tatty hat and black clothes that look as though they could once have been of good quality suddenly looms through the doorway, covered in his own blood. Open gashes reveal entrails spilling from his bowels, and his left arm hangs limp and useless. He wields a warhammer in his right hand, another hammer symbol hangs from round his neck, and a weird light gleams in his eyes. He bellows at Elsa, loudly enough that it is audible to those outside:

"What's this? More vultures come to pick my bones, I'll warrant! I tell you, by the Hammer, you shall never find it!" You don't know what "it" is, but apparently, someone was willing to slaughter a boatload of Sigmarite Novitiates to obtain "it". Anyway, with those words, he takes up his massive bludgeon and begins swinging at Elsa, aiming to disorient her with a blow to the head, before engaging her in combat proper, showing all the ability of a trained professional.

[roll0] WS 67
[roll1] Striking to Stun at S 43
If successful, stunned for [roll2] rounds. Miss

[roll3] WS 67 (at +20% if Stun succeeds)
Damage [roll4]

[roll5] WS 67 (at +20% if Stun succeeds)
Damage [roll6]

The hammer first catches Elsa in the chest, then smashes mightily into her right upper arm, bruising it to the bone. She immediately drops her staff and her SB is reduced by -2 for 2 turns.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-05, 06:36 PM
OOC: Holy crap.

Screaming with pain and surprise, Elsa clumsily scrambled back.

"Help!" she yelled to those outside. "Madman trying to kill me!"

She rose her left hand toward the man and frantically shouted a word in the arcane language.

Drop (casting number 4): [roll0]
WP test for him: [roll1] (edit: craaaap)

Parrying stance

Xsesiv
2010-07-05, 06:57 PM
"Minion of Chaos!" roars the man, pursuing Elsa out of the deck house and swinging his hammer (which he still has a firm grip on) at her as he does so. "Tomb-robbing scum! Traitor to Humanity!"

[roll0] WS 67
Damage [roll1]

Mordar
2010-07-05, 07:11 PM
Kordon looked at the carnage on the deck, stunned at the ruin that was once followers of Sigmar.

Willpower test
[roll0] against target 32 + 10 (Stout Hearted)

Hearing Elsa's distress, Kordon readied his knuckle dusters and was surprised to see the huge man, bleeding profusely, chasing the mageling onto the deck. He struck Elsa, driving her into the water, all the while bellowing insults at the top of his lungs.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Kordon lashed out at the attacker, hoping to end the fight before it carries any further.

One-two punch with Knuckle-dusters, assuming he's close enough to engage. First strike to stun, second to damage:

[roll1] against target 56 (WS46 + Streetfighter)
[roll2] against target 42 (S32 + 10% pummeling weapon)

[roll3] against target 56/76 (if stunned)
[roll4] damage

"To arms! Someone see to Elsa!" Kordon shouted to the companions.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-05, 07:14 PM
By instinct, Elsa raised her hand in an attempt to deflect the madman's bludgeon. Her usual overconfidence had vanished, leaving room only to the terror of imminent death.

"What are you--" she gasped at the man, her words dying in her throat when the weapon struck her.

Parry, WS 38: [roll0]

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-05, 08:00 PM
WP Test: [roll0] target 30
The halfling covered his mouth at the sight of the massacre on board of the boat "What in the name of Sigmar happened hear!?" turning green he ran to the side and vomited into the river. As Falco tried to catch his breath he heard the screams of Elsa and rushed to the sight of the bloodied man attacking the wizard. Without thinking he loaded his sling and let loose a stone toward the mans head.

BS Test: [roll1]target 43

Xsesiv
2010-07-06, 05:22 AM
The man's hammer swing catches Elsa in the foot, cracking a number of bones between ankle and toe and knocking her to the ground, so that she rolls down the deck of the listing boat and into the water. A slingshot whistles past his head as he returns to the deck-house to lick his wounds.

Bowerbird
2010-07-06, 05:25 AM
Igole wades into the river and scoops up the fallen mage, slinging her over his shoulder and carrying her back to the shore.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-06, 06:56 AM
Seeing this crazed man rushing at his companions, Ragnar leaps to the deck of the boat and attacks him, hoping to fell him now, lest he throw more of them into the river.

[roll0](Target 40+10(outnumber))
[roll1]

-Sentinel-
2010-07-06, 07:26 AM
"Why, you overgrown oaf!" Elsa protested as the Ogre carried her back to the shore. "I can handle myself, I'm not a ****ing damsel in distress! Stupid men and your chivalry, I should be the one saving your asses!"

Her outrage was only half-hearted. Like most Bright Wizards, she did not especially like water (not to mention hammer-swinging maniacs).

Xsesiv
2010-07-06, 08:32 AM
The man dodges Ragnar's axe and methodically begins to defend himself with his warhammer.

[roll0] WS 67
Damage [roll]d10+5[roll]

[roll1] WS 67
Damage [roll]d10+5[roll]

[roll2] WS 67
Damage [roll]d10+5[roll]

Mordar
2010-07-06, 11:26 AM
I think it may be back around to Elsa and my turns (as the man has attacked again), but if not, please just hold this as my go until it is my turn.

Seeing that his first blow was utterly ineffective, the second slipped off the shoulder of the raging man. Ragnar took the brunt of his wrath, his warhammer moving in a blur. Seeking to take advantage of the distraction, Kordon lashed out with two quick punches, clearly aimed to not distract the man but to cause serious harm.

Swift Attack #1
[roll0] vs target 66 (WS46 + 10 Streetfighter + 10 Outnumber 2:1)
[roll1] damage

Swift Attack #2
[roll2] vs target 66 (WS46 + 10 Streetfighter + 10 Outnumber 2:1)
[roll3] damage

Clearly I was in error on my attempted damage roll last post - was posting from home PC and didn't have my damage sheet at hand. I'll be more careful in the future.

Mordar
2010-07-06, 11:30 AM
Swift Attack #1
[roll0] vs target 66 (WS46 + 10 Streetfighter + 10 Outnumber 2:1)
[roll1] damage

Swift Attack #2
[roll2] vs target 66 (WS46 + 10 Streetfighter + 10 Outnumber 2:1)
[roll3] damage

Not sure if editing my post with the Ulric's Fury attack would have worked or not, so I have place it in a separate post. Apologies for double posting!

[roll0] vs target 66 ((WS46 + 10 Streetfighter + 10 Outnumber 2:1)
[roll1] damage

Bowerbird
2010-07-06, 11:39 AM
"I am not saving you because you are a woman, I am saving you because you are injured. What is chivalry? Can you eat it? There, feel free to 'save my ass'." Igole says, as he carefully places the mage back on the shore. "That man looked like he would die soon anyway. I think he thought you were a robber. Should we send in the doctor? Before the others kill him?"

-Sentinel-
2010-07-06, 11:47 AM
Elsa nodded gratefully.

"Yes... Bring me the doc, please. Drag him here if you have to."

ZeltArruin
2010-07-06, 12:33 PM
After barely being able to defend himself and taking another whack to the head, Ragnar doubles his efforts on the manling, swinging his axe at him twice, keeping the other defensively held out before him.

attack 1: [roll0](target 40+10(outnumber)
attack 2: [roll1](target 40+10(outnumber)

Edit: ooc: whoops, forgot damage rolls, not that I needed them...

Xsesiv
2010-07-06, 12:51 PM
The warhammer solidly smacks Ragnar in the head, so that a small rivulet of blood trickles down from his ear and his neck-muscles are strained. He will suffer -10% to all WS tests for the next day.

Seconds later, Kordon's knuckleduster blows cave the man's ribs in and drive the broken bones into his lungs, respectively. The man falls to the ground, very dead, and rolls down the deck, stopped only by a crate.

Mordar
2010-07-06, 02:45 PM
Seeing the man crumple to the deck, Kordon quickly turns his attention to Ragnar and Elsa. Ragnar clearly took a blow to the head, but remains standing and Kordon's quick appraisal suggests that he'll be fine. After all, he got hit in the head...probably the safest place to be hit if you're a Slayer...

Elsa had been pulled from the water by Igole, and seemed to be unhappy about it...though given the wet cracking noise Kordon had heard when she was struck by the blow it might be bravado more than anger. Kordon gingerly picked up her staff and tossed it in her direction.

"Now that I've had a moment to see, I don't think he was the only one attacking these poor sots...some of these look like sword or axe wounds," he said loudly, perhaps trying to convince himself the enraged man with the warhammer deserved his end. "Best be ready on your feet if there's more of them about."

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-06, 03:27 PM
The halfling stands on the deck numbed by all that has happened in these very short moment, staring at the now dead crazed man then to the carnage on the deck, and finally to Elsa being tended too on the shore. This isn't what I expected when I left home, fame, fortune, adventure, sure there would be fighting and killing I knew that but...finding a massacre killing a man crazed by grief...this is not right, it wasn't supposed to be like this! Falco's eyes seem to shimmer, he looks up to Kordon and says to him in almost a whisper. "What do we do know?"

ZeltArruin
2010-07-06, 03:30 PM
"What was tha about gold?" Ragnar says, swaying slightly, his head pounding from the recent pummellings it had taken. He glanced around the deck, now that the danger had abated, if only temporarily, his glazed over eyes having trouble focusing on anything. He had to get back to solid ground, so he made his way off the boat, slumping to the ground as he poked at his head wounds.
"Ach, I need an ale..."

Mordar
2010-07-06, 03:48 PM
Falco's eyes seem to shimmer, he looks up to Kordon and says to him in almost a whisper. "What do we do know?"

"Well, it seems to me there are two choices...try to find out what happened here and handle whatever it is that did all this," Kordon started, gesturing to the evidence of slaughter all around him, "or find some agents of Empire or followers of Sigmar and inform them of the tragedy."

"Whoever it was, they weren't interested in coin or goods...they left plenty of both...and he was maddened by more than fury. It all smacks of taint an' magick to me."

With a final glance and slow shake of his head, Kordon leaps back to shore.

"So, do we pull the boat the up to shore an' stop the sinking, or let it go under?"

OOC
The player in me is definitely opposed to letting the boat sink and walking away...I'm just not sure enough of how an Empire-reared dwarf would view this. I think solving the mystery and stopping whatever evil did this satisfies both the guilt in killing the mad follower and the revulsion caused by the Chaos/Taint/Cultist activity.

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-06, 04:08 PM
As a player I feel the same way, but for a young peasant just getting out onto his own, this would probably be to much for him and I think he'd rather just cut an run to avoid anymore unpleasantness.
Falco wipes his mouth with his hand while looking down and following Kordon seemingly lost in his own thoughts. "But what if they don't believe us!? I mean we are a group with an ogre, wizard, and slayer, it wouldn't be so impossible to assume that we were responsible for all of this in their eyes! We may be better off burying what's left of them to bury and just let the boat go down, forgetting this ever happened. The halfling plops down onto the shore and stares at the boat.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-06, 04:22 PM
"The madman," wheezed Elsa, painfully trying to stand up (and failing). "He said something... said we'd never find it. No idea what it is, but some seem to think it's worth killing for."

littlebottom
2010-07-06, 05:52 PM
"im still here" Heimlich says in general, since he has been quiet lately.

"who needs a patch up?"

heal for mrs.wizzy:smallwink::[roll0] ill roll any more that are needed OOC

ZeltArruin
2010-07-06, 06:30 PM
"Ye forget, little one, ye've two dwarfs with yeh. Any manling knows ta trust my kind," Ragnar said with surprising conviction and contempt, something thus far unseen in the seemingly bored dwarf. He put his axes away and stood up. "Lets be draggin' this matchwood out of th' river," he said, looking around for some kind of rope they could use to aid them.

Xsesiv
2010-07-07, 12:13 PM
There is plenty of rope on the boat, in coils scattered about the deck. Boats need a good supply of rope, and whoever caused all this damage has not stopped to take the rope, which they were evidently not interested in.

Mordar
2010-07-07, 12:18 PM
Kordon, satisfied with Ragnar's answer, does whatever he can to help haul the boat into a secure position, mooring it with lines from the deck as needs be. Though the blood-slicked deck is unpleasant (to say the least), he begins a cursory examination of the wreckage, looking for anything that might provide some insight as to what the pilgrims may have been carrying.

OOC
Perception Test
[roll0] vs target 30 (Int + Perception Skill)

Xsesiv
2010-07-07, 12:24 PM
Kordon finds nothing. The items carried seem to be ordinary, even mundane in nature. Flour, oil, other basic foodstuffs, cutlery, rope and cord, pots, pans and small knives, bolts of cloth, religious robes and so on.

However, as Elsa searches, she finds the captain's quarters window open a crack. Investigating, she finds it won't shut because a thin string is tied to the outer hinge of the shutter of the cabin window. The string runs down the side of the vessel into the Reik, dragging something that is submerged.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-07, 12:29 PM
Her eyes wide with curiosity, Elsa opened the window and tried to look at whatever was at the end of the string.

"Hey, does anyone know how to swim?" she called.

Xsesiv
2010-07-07, 12:32 PM
Elsa can't clearly see what is at the bottom of the string. If anything, she could guess at its being a small box, and it does not seem all that heavy by the way the string is not very taut and floats around.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-07, 12:36 PM
Elsa ran to the deck.

"There's something in the water," she told the others. "Tied to a string that hangs from an open window. I can't swim though..."

That, and she feared water. Water was a Bright Wizard's bane. Of course, she was not going to admit it.

Mordar
2010-07-07, 12:43 PM
"There's something in the water," she told the others. "Tied to a string that hangs from an open window. I can't swim though..."

"So pull it up by the string, ya daft mageling!" Kordon said with a snort. Still disconcerted by the scene, he's a bit more curt than ususal.

"Unless yer afraid the sting'll break. Let me have a look..."

Seeing that the string wasn't terribly tight, the load on the end must either be light, or sitting on the bottom. Kordon pulled gently on the string...

OOC
If the resistance increases, he'll release the string, not wanting to risk it breaking and losing the object. If the weight remains minimal, he'll call for someone to rig a net or something to catch the object.

Of course, if the water is only 3 or 4' deep since the boat is up on shore, he'll ask Igole or Heimlich to wade in and grab the object, forgoing any string related risks.

Xsesiv
2010-07-07, 12:54 PM
The string does not give out, and the resistance is not strong. As Kordon pulls, a bedraggled valise comes out of the water, tied to the string by the handle. It is apparently weighted, but not heavily so.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-07, 12:57 PM
Edit: Whoops...new page
"Reign it in, mageling, ye said there waz ah rope, aye?" Ragnar responded, disliking the level of helplessness in the pampered wizard's tone. He scoffed and muttered something about the softness of men as he went about the arduous task of securing the boat, with the help of the mighty ogre and the other dwarf.

Ragnar shook his head, disliking the level of helplessness in the pampered wizard's tone. He scoffed and muttered something about the softness of men as he went about the arduous task of securing the boat, with the help of the mighty ogre.

ooc: assuming he wants to help...

Mordar
2010-07-07, 01:24 PM
Kordon gently pulls the valise from the water, brings it inside the window and sets it on the floor. Untying the string from the window frame, the dwarf considers taking the object to shore, but hesitates, wondering if spying eyes might be watching the vessel.

"Mageling, Doktor, come take a look in here," he calls out. Upon their arrival, Kordon moves to the doorway, intent on checking on Falco. Quite a scene for such a rural lad...best keep an eye on him.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-07, 02:07 PM
Elsa eagerly looked over the Dwarf's shoulder. Whatever was in there, someone had almost killed her to make sure it wasn't found...

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-08, 12:10 AM
Falco paced back and forth rubbing his hands together while he watched the boat get brought to shore and saw everyone rummage around inside. He wasn't comfortable with any of this, the implications of being found with a boat of slaughtered people on it horrified him almost as much as the first time he viewed the bloody scene on the deck. "We should be moving on I'm telling you that damn boat is cursed I tell you!" Not to mention that he had participated in the murder of a man, sure it may have been in self defense but the man was obviously scarred mentally by the events he had went through before they had found him, things may have been different if he had made an effort to diffuse the situation instead of letting fear drive his actions to attack the guilt was unbearable. It shouldn't be like this! Killing beastmen is one thing they're evil vile creatures tainted by chaos, they aren't human...they weren't priests... The halflings ears perked when he heard that Elsa had found something but he just stood their and felt the cool air brush against his face as he offered his prayers to Sigmar for forgiveness...

ZeltArruin
2010-07-08, 09:26 AM
"Ye know how ta dig?" Ragnar asked the shakey halfing as he pulled himself onto the boat and started dragging all the corpses off of it, avoiding the more mutilated ones, as there was little he could do to move them, laying them out individually on the ground, assuming the humans had some form of traditional burial, even for complete strangers. It would be a bad thing indeed were they to just let the bodies rot in the river.

-Sentinel-
2010-07-08, 09:31 AM
"We can incinerate them," suggested Elsa with a somewhat unhealthy amount of enthusiasm. "I have oil."

Bowerbird
2010-07-08, 09:52 AM
"Why waste good meat?" Igole says with a grin, "I kid, I kid! It was in extremely poor taste, I'm sorry." he adds quickly, seeing the looks on the others' faces. "Alright, I'll start digging graves. Call me if you need anything big moved. Does anyone have anything to help me dig?"

Well he does have a pretty low Fellowship :P

Lt. Tibbles
2010-07-08, 03:07 PM
Falco shakes his head for a moment trying to clear his mind before stepping forward toward Igole. "I'll do it, everyone else is working hard it's time I contribute, besides it's the least I could do for them..." The halfling begins to help Igole bury the men, saying a quick prayer for them after they have finished.