PDA

View Full Version : (3.5)Wanted-races with Cha bonus

Ilmryn
2010-06-20, 08:31 PM
Is there any race at all that gives a cha bonus but doesn't have a LA?
If it's homebrew or OGL, please post the link. I'm looking for something that is simple, humanoid-ish, and is easy to incorporate into an campaign. Since i like to play sorcerers and warlocks, the fact that I can't find a good race annoys me.

sofawall
2010-06-20, 08:33 PM
Lesser Aasimar, PGtF. Remove Outsider type, make them Humanoid, and remove the LA. Done.

Zaq
2010-06-20, 08:35 PM
Spellscales from Races of the Dwagon, or Hellbred from Fiendish Codex II.

You want Hellbred.

The mage
2010-06-20, 08:40 PM
Well there us the drow, it has only LA 2

Ailurus
2010-06-20, 08:41 PM
Star elves, from unapproachable east. Don't have book in front of me, but believe they have no LA

Greenish
2010-06-20, 08:42 PM
Kobolds are always the answer.

Ilmryn
2010-06-20, 08:42 PM

You want Hellbred.

I don't have either of those books. I haven't found a good race in any of the books i have, so what i need is probably homebrew, unless there is some obscure OGL stuff I don't know about.

The mage
2010-06-20, 08:43 PM
Or you can also just make a homebrew race with cha bonus, post it on the forums and see if it is good or not

The mage
2010-06-20, 08:44 PM
Kobolds are always the answer.

Always have, always will be!

DoodlesD
2010-06-20, 08:54 PM
In PF, halflings and Gnomes both get +2 to charisma

balistafreak
2010-06-20, 08:55 PM
Or you can also just make a homebrew race with cha bonus, post it on the forums and see if it is good or not

With all due respect, self-crafted homebrew is usually not the best decision, especially for a newer player.

And by newer I mean someone is not fully aware of all of the tricks and traps of the 3.5 system.

*raises hand*

Granted, I trust many of the Playgrounder's homebrew more than 1st-party D&D material. But when you attempt to craft homebrew for your own personal use, it generally ends up looking like D&D Wiki.

Which is icky. :smallannoyed:

Greenish
2010-06-20, 08:58 PM
With all due respect, self-crafted homebrew is usually not the best decision, especially for a newer player.I can homebrew you a race with Cha bonus!

First, you take a half-elf.

Then, you give it +2 Charisma racial modifier.

Voilà!

Ilmryn
2010-06-20, 08:59 PM
With all due respect, self-crafted homebrew is usually not the best decision, especially for a newer player.

And by newer I mean someone is not fully aware of all of the tricks and traps of the 3.5 system.

*raises hand*

Granted, I trust many of the Playgrounder's homebrew more than 1st-party D&D material. But when you attempt to craft homebrew for your own personal use, it generally ends up looking like D&D Wiki.

Which is icky. :smallannoyed:

Well, if anyone knows some good homebrew races, feel free to post a link.

Do any of the variant races from Unearthed Arcana have a Cha bonus?

Raiki
2010-06-20, 09:37 PM
Is there any race at all that gives a cha bonus but doesn't have a LA?

There's-An-Elf-For-That™.

~R~

DracoDei
2010-06-20, 09:38 PM
Well, if you don't mind a single, non-replaceable, racial HD or being anthropomorphic, there are the Mepholk linked in my signature. I even gave them a reserve feat that lets them deal acid damage with their spray. Their spray attack is very complex, but if you ask me I can splice it together with Vorpal Tribble's much simpler take on skunk spray, and you can use that.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-20, 10:00 PM
There's also the magic-blooded template from some Dragon magazine, which gibves -2 Wis, +2 Cha on top of whatever the race may have offered to begin with. Or you could go Dragonwrought Kobold for +3 Cha.

Devils_Advocate
2010-06-21, 11:59 AM
Hint: A race can be well-suited to a class without giving a bonus to that class's primary ability score. You're thinking too narrowly.

(On the other hand, you're right that races with level adjustments are almost always poor options for spellcasters.)

Fax Celestis
2010-06-21, 12:15 PM
You could try the D'hin'ni (Dragon 350), the bastard children of djinni and halflings. They're LA +1, but I think they're worth it.

+2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
Small
20' speed
Counts as halfling for feats, PrCs, etc.
60' Darkvision
+1 racial to all saves
+2 racial to thrown weapon and sling attack rolls
+2 racial to Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently
Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty to attack/damage on d'hin'ni
SLAs: prestidigitation (at will); gust of wind, whispering wind, wind wall (1/day); CL is equal to ECL, Cha-based saves
Languages: Common, Halfling, Auran
Favored: Sorcerer
LA +1

Celadrin (children of elves and celestials, same source) may or may not also be worthwhile.

+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha
Medium
30' speed
Counts as elf for feats, PrCs, etc.
60' Darkvision
Fire resistance 10
Immune (Sleep)
Automatically proficient with longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, composite shortbow
+4 racial to Perform (Sing)
+2 racial to Listen, Search, Spot
Elven free search for secret doors
SLAs: scorching ray (1/day); CL is equal to ECL, Cha-based saves
+1 bonus on Diplomacy and Wild Empathy checks, increases by 1 every 5 levels.
Languages: Celestial, Common, Elven
Favored: Bard
LA +1

Greenish
2010-06-21, 12:19 PM
You could try the D'hin'ni (Dragon 350), the bastard children of djinni and halflings. They're LA +1, but I think they're worth it.

+2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Cha
Small
20' speed
Counts as halfling for feats, PrCs, etc.
60' Darkvision
+1 racial to all saves
+2 racial to thrown weapon and sling attack rolls
+2 racial to Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently
Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty to attack/damage on d'hin'ni
SLAs: prestidigitation (at will); gust of wind, whispering wind, wind wall (1/day); CL is equal to ECL, Cha-based saves
Languages: Common, Halfling, Auran
Favored: Sorcerer
LA +1Are they outsiders?

balistafreak
2010-06-21, 12:21 PM
SLAs: prestidigitation (at will);

THIS

IS

AWESOME

Totally worth +1 LA, forget everything else about them. :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2010-06-21, 12:22 PM
Are they outsiders?

It doesn't explicitly say so, but it's in an article about 'planetouched races', and all the other planetouched are Outsiders, so I would assume so. EDIT: Statblock for example creature has them as Outsiders, so yes.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 12:25 PM
It doesn't explicitly say so, but it's in an article about 'planetouched races', and all the other planetouched are Outsiders, so I would assume so. EDIT: Statblock for example creature has them as Outsiders, so yes.Ha ha! Lesser D'hin'ni for LA +0!

Prestidigatioooooooooooooooooooooon!

Akal Saris
2010-06-21, 12:44 PM
D'hin'ni look like a fun race to play :)

Person_Man
2010-06-21, 12:47 PM
For the record, many Warlock builds don't need Cha at all. Plenty of Invocations are buffs (and thus don't have a Save DC), and their ability to Take 10 with UMD means that with a modest Skill investment, your high Cha isn't needed.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 01:30 PM
There's-An-Elf-For-That™.

Which one are you talking about? I did do a homebrew involving an elf with Cha bonus, the Mageblood Elf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157065), but I am not sure if my DM will approve it. Is there a non-homebrew elf with a cha bonus?

PS: The Mageblood Elf has Prestigitation at will. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 01:35 PM

You want Hellbred.

Spellscales actually make very good sorcerers due to the free metamagic from the meditations. The racial sub levels aren't shabby either.

Which one are you talking about? I did do a homebrew involving an elf with Cha bonus, the Mageblood Elf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157065), but I am not sure if my DM will approve it. Is there a non-homebrew elf with a cha bonus?

PS: The Mageblood Elf has Prestigitation at will. :smallbiggrin:

Star Elves, from Ailurus' post above.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 01:40 PM
Spellscales actually make very good sorcerers due to the free metamagic from the meditations. The racial sub levels aren't shabby either.

Star Elves, from Ailurus' post above.

Gah. I am getting more frustrated than I was at there not being a good race, from seeing all the good races from books I don't have!
From which book are the star elves? If the race is one you can post stats/a link to stats, please do so.

NOTE: I do not have any of the Races of... books.

hamishspence
2010-06-21, 01:42 PM
Unapproachable East.

EDIT: Apparently Ailurus's post already said that.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 01:47 PM
Don't have that book either. I guess my collection is to limited.
Oh, well. If my DM doesn't approve the Mageblood Elf, I'll probably use the D'hin'ni and pay 3000xp to buy off the LA. My DM is giving a 5000 xp surplus, so I should be fine.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-21, 01:54 PM
Gah. I am getting more frustrated than I was at there not being a good race, from seeing all the good races from books I don't have!
From which book are the star elves? If the race is one you can post stats/a link to stats, please do so.

NOTE: I do not have any of the Races of... books.

Aasimar can be found in Monster Manual 1, and someone already said what making it a Lesser Aasimar entails.

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 01:56 PM
Lesser Aasimar, PGtF. Remove Outsider type, make them Humanoid, and remove the LA. Done.

So just removing the outsider type makes it LA 0? That seems a bit too good...

sofawall
2010-06-21, 01:59 PM
So just removing the outsider type makes it LA 0? That seems a bit too good...

Polymorph line loves outsider type. So do Gish-types.

Rothen
2010-06-21, 02:02 PM
Along with the awesome traits of being an outsider - although they're not raisable, so that's a bit of a bummer.

Greenish
2010-06-21, 02:03 PM
Along with the awesome traits of being an outsider - although they're not raisable, so that's a bit of a bummer.Native subtype fixes that.

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 02:05 PM
Polymorph line loves outsider type. So do Gish-types.

What's ironic is that WotC later printed an LA +0 Outsider with Natural Armor. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)

Native subtype fixes that.

As does Revive Outsider

Ilmryn
2010-06-21, 02:07 PM
So does the Aasimar lose anything beside the type? Are there any abilities lost due to not being an outsider? (other than immunity to humanoid specific spells) Admittedly, if you're an outsider, you can alter self into and angel or something, but that doesn't do much besides giving you flight. How does being an outsider affect polymorph?

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 02:10 PM
So does the Aasimar lose anything beside the type? Are there any abilities lost due to not being an outsider? (other than immunity to humanoid specific spells) Admittedly, if you're an outsider, you can alter self into and angel or something, but that doesn't do much besides giving you flight. How does being an outsider affect polymorph?

You gain the natural armor, natural weapons and racial bonus feats of your new form.
Being an Outsider also gives you free Martial Weapon Proficiency.

And at low levels, that immunity is a pretty big deal.