PDA

View Full Version : Do mount bonus hit dice stack?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-20, 11:20 PM
Okay, I've been wondering this for a while. I can see several reasons they would and several reasons they wouldn't. However, I'd like input from the playground before doing anything with this in a different campaign such as a PBP.

So, what does the playground think//know about this?

If there's a thread about this (I did search but didn't find anything) please direct me towards it.:smallsmile:

Milskidasith
2010-06-20, 11:22 PM
What do you mean? If you mean "does it have +2 HD at level 5, +6 HD at level 8, +12 HD at level 11, and +20 HD at level 15" the answer is obviously no.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-20, 11:24 PM
What do you mean? If you mean "does it have +2 HD at level 5, +6 HD at level 8, +12 HD at level 11, and +20 HD at level 15" the answer is obviously no.

That's what I mean. And why is the answer obviously no?

Milskidasith
2010-06-20, 11:25 PM
That's what I mean. And why is the answer obviously no?

Because it's akin to asking if the fighters BAB is +1, +3, +6, +10, +15, +21/+1, +28/+3, etc. The number is the total bonus the mount has.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-20, 11:38 PM
Because it's akin to asking if the fighters BAB is +1, +3, +6, +10, +15, +21/+1, +28/+3, etc. The number is the total bonus the mount has.

I'm sorry if it really is that obvoius. I was only calling it into question because WOTC seems to really overvalue it and several other posters have mentioned them stacking (although I don't remember who.)

I guess I shouldn't find it surprising that WOTC overvalues it though.

Milskidasith
2010-06-20, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry if it really is that obvoius. I was only calling it into question because WOTC seems to really overvalue it and several other posters have mentioned them stacking (although I don't remember who.)

I guess I shouldn't find it surprising that WOTC overvalues it though.

It is overvalued, but since when has WotC been good about that kind of thing? It's pretty clearly not intended to stack, though admittedly the wording isn't clear, especially if you take the Druid into account (if bonus HD stacked, A: level 1-2 druids wouldn't need a bonus HD stat, and B: all your animals would have 42 bonus HD at druid level 20, which is its own level of insanity)

Mystic Muse
2010-06-20, 11:59 PM
I definitely would have thought they didn't stack if it weren't for the table in Draconomicon. An animal compainion getting +42 HD is really insane. The bonuses all seem to depend on what level you're capable of getting specific dragons as mounts at was the problem.