PDA

View Full Version : A curious case of class confusion.

TechnOkami
2010-06-21, 12:54 AM
So, say that you have two different sources of divine spell casting, lets take a Druid/Cleric for example. If you prestige into a class which increases the level of spells of your existing divine spell casting, would it go to one, or both classes?

PId6
2010-06-21, 12:55 AM
So, say that you have two different sources of divine spell casting, lets take a Druid/Cleric for example. If you prestige into a class which increases the level of spells of your existing divine spell casting, would it go to one, or both classes?
Only one, of your choice.

TechnOkami
2010-06-21, 12:57 AM
Only one, of your choice.

Ah, thank you.

cupkeyk
2010-06-21, 01:04 AM
And it says so in the spellcasting section of the PRC's class description EG:

Spells per Day: When a new thaumaturgist level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of thaumaturgist to the level of whatever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one spellcasting class before he became a thaumaturgist, he must decide to which class he adds each level of thaumaturgist for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-21, 01:08 AM
And then, of course, there are the Theurge classes, which advance 2 progressions at the same time, the best of which is probably either Arcane Hierophant or Ultimate Magus.

As a side note, I've seen arcane/divine, arcane/psionic, arcane/invoking, divine/psionic, and divine/invoking, but never psionic/invoking. Does such a thing exist?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-21, 01:16 AM
Officially, no. There are basically no theurges of any two subsystems - every subsystem has a theurge with divine and arcane casting, but never with anything else. Mostly because Wizards doesn't like to assume that you have the splatbook that a given subsystem comes from, and doesn't like wasting space on material that some potential customers can't use - because then they might lose those customers.

Homebrew wise, there's quite a few. Can't remember if I've seen a Warlock/Manifester one, though...

PId6
2010-06-21, 01:22 AM
Officially, no. There are basically no theurges of any two subsystems - every subsystem has a theurge with divine and arcane casting, but never with anything else.
Yep; there's Soul Manifester (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a), and that's pretty much it, which is a shame because theurges are so much fun to build. You can fanangle certain theurge classes to work where they're not intended though. For example, anything that advances arcane casting can work with invokers, as long as you qualify somehow.

arguskos
2010-06-21, 01:26 AM
The other one that bugged me was there is a Arcane/Arcane (Ultimate Magus) but no Divine/Divine. Course, it's not really needed, but it IS annoying, from a "there should be one for every mix" viewpoint.

PId6
2010-06-21, 01:36 AM
The other one that bugged me was there is a Arcane/Arcane (Ultimate Magus) but no Divine/Divine. Course, it's not really needed, but it IS annoying, from a "there should be one for every mix" viewpoint.
Well, with Alternative Source Spell, anything's possible. :smallcool:

Danin
2010-06-21, 02:06 AM
Well, with Alternative Source Spell, anything's possible. :smallcool:

Explain. NOW. Please?

I (surprisingly) haven't heard of this and was looking for a way to get double divine casting.

PId6
2010-06-21, 02:22 AM
Explain. NOW. Please?

I (surprisingly) haven't heard of this and was looking for a way to get double divine casting.
It's a metamagic feat that lets you cast arcane spells as divine and vice versa, but at -1 CL. Since your divine class can now cast arcane spells, it counts as an arcane spellcasting class, which means Mystic Theurge (or whatever) can advance it on the arcane side.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-21, 02:31 AM
It's a metamagic feat that lets you cast arcane spells as divine and vice versa, but at -1 CL. Since your divine class can now cast arcane spells, it counts as an arcane spellcasting class, which means Mystic Theurge (or whatever) can advance it on the arcane side.

So, Mystic Theurge can now grab you double pace progression? Pick Wizard, take Alternative Source Spell, have 9th level spells by ECL 10?

PId6
2010-06-21, 02:39 AM
So, Mystic Theurge can now grab you double pace progression? Pick Wizard, take Alternative Source Spell, have 9th level spells by ECL 10?
Well, a less broken interpretation is that you can't progress the same class at the same level with the same PrC, but I doubt that's actually somewhere in the rules. So I guess so.

You can do the same thing with Ultimate Magus and Spontaneous Divination, using UM to progress only wizard. I've always assumed it only progresses a single class once per level (which is still good, due to the free CL boost), but the broken interpretation works there too.

Eurus
2010-06-21, 03:31 AM
Well, a less broken interpretation is that you can't progress the same class at the same level with the same PrC, but I doubt that's actually somewhere in the rules. So I guess so.

You can do the same thing with Ultimate Magus and Spontaneous Divination, using UM to progress only wizard. I've always assumed it only progresses a single class once per level (which is still good, due to the free CL boost), but the broken interpretation works there too.

I think that the gestalt rules actually mention in passing somewhere (as a general rule, not a gestalt-specific one) that you can't advance the same thing twice in one level like that (so taking Wizard//Arcane casting PrC levels doesn't double-advance your wizard casting). So... it's not perfect, but if you're willing to extrapolate, it makes sense.

Rothen
2010-06-21, 04:36 AM
Yep; there's Soul Manifester (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a), and that's pretty much it, which is a shame because theurges are so much fun to build. You can fanangle certain theurge classes to work where they're not intended though. For example, anything that advances arcane casting can work with invokers, as long as you qualify somehow.

I think I'm in love. I've got to play that in my next game. Do you have any thoughts about how powerful it is? :smallconfused:

PId6
2010-06-21, 04:50 AM
I think I'm in love. I've got to play that in my next game. Do you have any thoughts about how powerful it is? :smallconfused:
Soul Manifester? I've heard some very good things about it, though I've never played one myself. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155071) recent thread has some good information on it though.

Person_Man
2010-06-21, 09:52 AM
Note that the Archivist can memorize spells from any Divine class list - Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Blackguard, Ranger, prestige classes, domains, etc.

Rothen
2010-06-21, 09:56 AM
Note that the Archivist can memorize spells from any Divine class list - Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Blackguard, Ranger, prestige classes, domains, etc.

Don't forget the Adept.

Or all the hilarious Initiate feats - assuming your DM is a (very) lenient towards scroll purchase, you can even learn Color Spray as an Archivist.

Optimystik
2010-06-21, 09:57 AM
Homebrew wise, there's quite a few. Can't remember if I've seen a Warlock/Manifester one, though...

Sure there is - Cerebremancer. You need some finagling to qualify, but once you're in it will advance your psionics and invocations just fine.