PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Factotum Building...

Zovc
2010-06-21, 01:08 AM
I'm going to be playing a factotum in an offsite PbP game, and I was wondering if some optimizers could look at my plans.

I'm going to start the game as a Human Factotum 1 with one flaw (the DM and I worked together to make an appropriate one). I'm planning on taking two instances of Font of Inspiration and the Able Learner feat.

I'm taking Able Learner because I intend to be a Chameleon (THAT'S why its skill list is so small! Ha!). When should I make the change, and should I do anything in particular before making the change?

I mentioned Human Paragon, and because it's first level will be useless with Able Learner, I'll instead get a bonus feat at the class's first level. In addition, Human Paragon will continue to advance the Chameleon's casting. :3

So, when do I jump into Chameleon, and do I dip into Human Paragon beforehand? What should I do after Chameleon?

Critical
2010-06-21, 01:30 AM
After you're finished with Chameleon, up your factotum level at least up to 8 for extra standard actions. Make sure to take EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor(Races of Stone) and max Iaijutsu Focus(Oriental Adventures) for some really nice damage. Get lots of marbles. Lots lots of marbles to make your opponents without 5 ranks in balance flat-footed. So, other than the TWF feat chain and the EWP make every other feat FoI(unless you want to go DMM on your divine Chameleon side o_O). Ow, and don't get Human Paragon, get all 10 levels of Chameleon, it has nice abilities. :smalltongue:

PId6
2010-06-21, 01:33 AM
The question is, do you want to be a Factotum or do you want to be a Chameleon?

If you want to primarily be a Factotum, definitely wait until 8th level to start taking Chameleon, because Cunning Surge is just too awesome. No Human Paragon in this case, since you don't want to delay your entry any further. In this case, your Chameleon casting won't be too great, but you'll be able to do all the usual Factotum stuff. The most optimized route here is to only take two levels of Chameleon for the floating feat.

If you want to truly be a Chameleon, then you want to get in as early as possible. In this case, since Cunning Surge is off limits, three levels of Factotum is enough. Factotum 3/Human Paragon 2 works fine as an entry point, and you'll be a fully dedicated Chameleon rather than a Factotum that Chameleons on the side. Afterward you get to Factotum 8 for Cunning Surge by 20th level.

Zovc
2010-06-21, 01:47 AM
You both misunderstood what Human Paragon will do: I can go beyond 10th level Chameleon spellcasting. In other words, I can get 12th level Chameleon casting with Human Paragon.

I'm not going to do the quickrazor shenanigans.

Chameleon doesn't seem to get any turn attempts, or at least not ones manipulatable by DMM. The Factotum does eventually, though.

I actually intend to see if DM will let me use Abjurant Champion to improve my casting after that.

Human Paragon = +2, 7th level spells
Abjurant Champion = +5 9th level spells with one 'excess' level.

The quickest I could do this, I believe is Factotum 4/Human Paragon 1/Chameleon 10/Human Paragon +2/Abjurant Champion 5

That would leave me with three levels to play with, perhaps a smattering of Tome of Battle stuff?

PId6
2010-06-21, 01:53 AM
You both misunderstood what Human Paragon will do: I can go beyond 10th level Chameleon spellcasting. In other words, I can get 12th level Chameleon casting with Human Paragon.
You can't improve a class's spellcasting beyond the normal limits pre-epic. This is true of every spellcasting PrC, from Assassin to Ur Priest. At best, if allowed, it would only increase your caster level, not spell slots. There's no progression beyond what's listed.

Zovc
2010-06-21, 01:55 AM
You can't improve a class's spellcasting beyond the normal limits pre-epic. This is true of every spellcasting PrC, from Assassin to Ur Priest. At best, if allowed, it would only increase your caster level, not spell slots. There's no progression beyond what's listed.

It doesn't matter how things are "supposed to" work, this is how DM is going to let things happen.

PId6
2010-06-21, 02:02 AM
It doesn't matter how things are "supposed to" work, this is how DM is going to let things happen.
Ah. Well if it's houseruled like that, then definitely take it or a casting-advancing PrC if possible.

Factotum 3/Human Paragon 1/Something 1/Chameleon 10/Human Paragon +2/Something +3

You can replace the Something with more Factotum, but since it's not possible to get Cunning Surge pre-epic, all that does is increase your inspiration points really (which is not bad). Other options include Cleric 1 early on for the domains and bonus feats, and Barbarian 1 for Pounce and Whirling Frenzy if you want to be good at melee. If your DM allows Abjurant Champion to advance it, however, this is best:

Factotum 3/Something 2/Chameleon 10/Abjurant Champion 5

Something can be two levels of Human Paragon for the feats, or more Factotum for IP, or either of the dips mentioned above.